Casual game dynamics? A conversation there of.

15 replies to this topic

Poll: Gamer >:} (39 member(s) have cast votes)

What kind of gamer are you?

1. Hardcore (15 votes [24.19%])

Percentage of vote: 24.19%

2. Casual (8 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

3. Depends on the game (20 votes [32.26%])

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

4. I dont have time to be a hardcore gamer so im forced to be casual (8 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

5. I am adicted, so I cant get away from hardcore (4 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

6. This is dumb, im leaving. (2 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

7. I just really dont care (1 votes [1.61%])

Percentage of vote: 1.61%

8. Why not just have there be an option to do Hadcore game types or casual game types? (4 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:21 AM

Well gents, here is something that I’m starting to realize and I thought I would bring it to your hungry flamer/ax ready hands to let you, the people, discuss this in a responsible and respectful way. I also hope the dev’s might peek in and throw in some misinformation as is the norm. <see my quote for a direct quote from paul>

Ok, to the point. As many may have seen/loathed, I like to throw my weight behind what is generally called ‘the hardcore’ players. Or as many know, gamers who have too much time on their hands and probably play Korean MMOs due to how hard I want this game to be. In my time in those threads I have seen a distinct line in what people are wanting/expecting. No this is not a yell at each other thried, it’s a talk to each other thread.

The first group, or the hard core group, wants a C-bill driven economy. Many of them are looking for some or all of these features:
One life/No-respawn: Basicly in a match, when your battlmech is incapacitated your done for that mach, no matter when this happens in the match. <many quote how WoT works, IE that ‘tank’ is locked until the match is fully but you can join another game if you do not want to wait for your team.>

Limited/No-Mechlab: Limited mechlab that accurately reflects the difficulty of modifying non-omni mechs. This can be anything as Variants are weapon type locked and only weapons of same type or size can be exchanged with little to no customization for armor/speed/heatsinks. Or… No-mechlab, you buy a variant, it either looks like you want, or it does what you want. If not, you buy a different variant. And or you buy a chassie and buy variant kits to change what a mech does.

Mech Maintenance: Your mech takes damage every mission, if not get totaled. After each mission you have to repair your mech, replaced destroyed weapons and equipment. <Side note, in a match that had resawn, this would be a very hard mechanic to keep. If you are a new player and you keep rushing in and dying and end a mach like I don’t know, 2/10. Whether your team wins or loses, you won’t make any C-bills after repairs, if you can even afford to repair your mech. >

Mech Destruction: Your mech gets destroyed, I mean nothing left but little bits of pixie dust in the wind, it’s gone. You’re rolling in a catapult and its ammo bins go, you no longer have a catapult. You are a proud owner of a catastrophe. <; p I know you like that pun> You now have to buy a new mech. This re enforces the ability to leave a battle field if you are simply out classed. This also means that not every mech ‘death’ means that a mech is destroyed every time (like in MW4). Just means it is too damaged to function and can be salvaged and repaired. <In no way does this means real money purchased items qualify for this dynamic. You buy custom paint/hula girl, you keep it. It’s still in your inventory. >

Mech Ransoming: This I see as a more complicated dynamic and goes hand in hand with mech destruction. The basic principle is, the other team lost and you salvage one of their chassis that you can now fix up and keep or sell back to the other team. In TT and the books, battlemechs were heirlooms and very expensive. Even though they are not heirlooms in the MW:O dynamics, a recovered chassie can have all the custom knickknacks a player puts into it like skins/emblems/cockpit additions/hula girl. These items can’t be transferred out of the recovered mech.
Faction Specific Mech Restrictions: Devs already stated that all mechs will be available for (c-bill) purchase to all factions. Yes I know, I just said it after all. They did, if I’m not mistaken, stated that different factions will see c-bill price variation depending on how friendly they are with the faction that makes them. Still some people want to have salvage be the only way to acquire these mechs.

Objective Driven Game Play: Faction warfare, as far as I can tell, is one of the most exciting things to the community as we have never really seen it in a mechwarrior game before. Not without a 3rd party group or community setting it up. Each battle will have a purpose and is not just players jumping in to see how many kills they can get without dying. Ontop of that, all the C-bills players will obtain, will come from doing missions and completing tasks/objectives. There are allot of rpers in the community, I can’t tell, who are drooling at these prospects. I’m curious to see how many stories are written about the experiences people have in faction warfare.

Solaris: Yup, the famed world of gladiators! Most of the hard core groups are kind of looking at this as a place where they will be able to escape from faction warfare to do their senseless MW3/4 styled grinders. As well as other things I don’t want to get into.

In-depth Command and Control options: Self explanatory. People want in game support to do their C&C like actives/after-action reports/pre/post mission briefings.

Now, I know I did not touch all the topics but these were the larger features that were more or less specific/interlinked into the more ‘hardcore’ game thoughts or simply viewed as ‘not fun’ or ‘un-noob friendly’ There is something you want added just let me know I am sure I can add it.

Casual gamers on the other hand tend to be looking for more of a MW3/4 feel and generally do not work with many of the principles above.

Full, Unrestricted Mechlab: They want to see it like in MW3/4 where you can make anything. Sometimes you see options where they desire a heavy C-bill or light time or a mixture of both to emulate the effort it would take in order to do the kinds of changes they want to do. This does not mean that players don’t support having to purchase mech chassis/items to outfit.

Respawn: MW4 is the best example of this. During the progression of a match, mechs spawn, walk a short distance and engage. Your goal now becomes die as little as possible and kill as much as possible. <I have lots of nasty things to say about this but I will save you the time.> <I will say that maintenance will become almost useless at this point as at the end of every mach, those who do not play tactically will end up with most loss then gain. > Many players like to say, in order to make death some kind of penalty, to make there be a ‘respawn’ timer or to have there be some sort of loss to C-bills/XP (either on your mech or pilot).

Match Making: Host privet/public games with your own settings like ‘no heat/unlimited amo’ etc etc. No real effect on Faction warfare or anything that really would be ‘MMO’ like xp, cbills or lp.

Optional LP: Players don’t want to deal with Faction warfare or fear that LP and rank will somehow interfere with how they play the game or interact with other players online.

All Mechs, Weapons, and No C-bill Costs: Essentially they are looking for MW4 with better physics are graphics where they can jump in and everything is already at their fingertips.

Essentially I see most of the dynamics that ‘casual’ players have leaned towards are MW3/4 online game play and are found pretty much in every average FPS out there. The other thing I do see allot, which I think is absolutely absurd, is the repeated assumption that the ‘hardcore’ like dynamics some, most or all, are only in favor of vetted players and will discourage ‘noobs’ or new players. I don’t see this as being true at all other wise games like WoT and EvE would not do well or be successful. At that same point, any new player who does not get put into a mach with close to the same lvl of players will be at a disadvantage regardless due to mech/pilot XP. Same goes for any game which has XP and levels such as CoD MW4 and BF3.

So again, debate if you would on casual/hardcore dynamics. Maybe we will find a balance point or maybe this thread will get locked because people can behave themselves.. Maybe. It’s not my point to start a flame war.

Edited by Omigir, 16 January 2012 - 06:03 AM.

#2 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:31 AM

Minor footnote, the poll should allow for multiple choice, IMHO. Especially the last option can be combined with the ones above. :D

#3 Virgil Caine

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:46 AM

I don't think they Ransomed Battlemechs, just pilots. I mean people can be born, but the factory that built this mech, and the knowledge to do so is 'gone'....

If I win a mech as salvage, It's mine. No you're not getting it back... AT ALL This pilot guy, I don't need, i'll ransom him.

As far as the Faction-specific mech restrictions, I think those should come into play later on as the IS further develops their ability to design battlemechs from the ground up again.

#4 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:02 AM

How do you intend to capture a pilot who ejects and GTFO of the battlefield?

There you go Dlardrageth!

Edited by Omigir, 16 January 2012 - 06:04 AM.

#5 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:04 AM

View PostOmigir, on 16 January 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

How do you intend to capture a pilot who ejects and GTFO of the battlefield?

There you go Dlardrageth!

Break his legs? :D

And thanks for the adjustment. :D

#6 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

I disagree with your characterization of hardcore vs casual. FWIW anyone on these boards this early would be considered a hardcore gamer. Your split is really more about sim vs arcade. Not every hardcore likes a sim. Sometime reality just isn't fun. I personally pick and choose from both lists for what works best as a game.

#7 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

i like and dislike stuff from both lists, where do i fit in?

mechlab- limited in so far as no scratch building but still in its own way flexible and with cbill costs.
Pro mech maintanence
Pro limited respawn, could be limited by available mechs, could cost extra repair bill in the middle of battle and involve going through spare equipment, could involve going back into a fight using hasty slapdash repairs to a fallen mech, or soemthing
anti mech destruction
anti mech exclusivity until later down the line. SInce its highly dubious that we will have enough variety early on to cover enough mech roles for each faction to be picky. But later on the line as variety increases, the markets for each faction can afford to get more exclusive.
anti mech ransoming
pro objective gameplay
pro solaris
pro C&C options
Private matches, optional LP, and free stuff- ehhhhhhh yeah no.

Edited by VYCanis, 17 January 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#8 Elpeo Ple

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

The terms 'Hardcore' & 'Casual' refer to the player and not the game though. However you do bring up interesting points that I have mixed opinions on.

#9 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

No one person is going to totaly agree or disagree with me. Its the nature of people. That is why I layed it out like I did.

'sim' or 'arcade' still boils down to a hardcore gamer and a casual gamer. I also stand by my post and off every one a chance to make counter statments and to prove me wrong. To be honest, I want to be proven wrong.

#10 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

There is no optional LP scenario (you play lone wolf in that case).

There is no private server/hosting option (sad to say, hopefuilly it makes it as DLC later).

I think the real key here is to apppeal to all styles of play, and that with the specific roles of play (faction/merc/loner) you'll be able to fill whatever style you want.

Now I have no idea how this is going to pan out, but IMO it feels like each role gets progressively more into the area of a 'hard core' gameplay aspect as you move from LW->Faction->Merc->?? (Clan perhaps).

Now the interesting thing about it is you can move from one to another depending on what you like (ideally within the same account just using different pilots), if not, then with different accounts (boo!).

That's how I feel it's going to shake out, based on the plethora of initial information we've had so far.

e.g.
Want an easier road? House Faction - rented/repaired mechs, C-bill allowance, rank and glory, blah blah blah)
Want a bit of grit on your pants? Merc Corp - mech ransoming (it's just player economy/salvage really), no respawn, no allowance...
Want to just fight (or waiting for the Clan option to open up)? - Lone Wolf - fight, fight, fight.

That's what I see.

#11 WMC Gomez

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

I am mostly with Omigir on this one. I don't like the idea of mech ransoming as if i get to salvage a mech it is mine. I also don't think the destinction between hardcore and casual is correct. I myself would consider myself a casual gamer only because I don't have a lot of time to play the game, but still fall under hardcore rules. I want this game to follow what other MW games have been like in the past. (IE MPBT, Genie, etc..) Even MW3/4 was ok as a first person game or when leagues where going because you had 1 life and didn't spend it.

I think a lot of the "casual" gamers Omigir is talking about i would reclassify. I don't know what word I can use that doesn't sound mean so I won't say anything. These gamers who want a MW4 type game w/ unlimited respawns and unlimited everything are the same ones that thrive on CoD, MW4, and to an extent WoT. I believe what these type of gamers want is a game where you can jump in a match, blow some things up for 1/2 hour and then either go do something else or go back to real life. This game is not for these types of gamers. There is nothing wrong with these type of gamers, but this game won't be for them.

I believe that it will all work out and the people who love this universe and want to play in it will stick around for a long time and those who just want to blow sh*t up won't hang around and play games that are their style and have fun with them.

(hopefully that sounded non-flamerish :) )

#12 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostOmigir, on 17 January 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

'sim' or 'arcade' still boils down to a hardcore gamer and a casual gamer. I also stand by my post and off every one a chance to make counter statments and to prove me wrong. To be honest, I want to be proven wrong.

Not really. Hardcore vs casual really has more to do with the time investment in a game than its inherent complexity. There are people who are are hardcore arcade players. I know some from Mortal Kombat and DDR for example. Of course there are those that are casually involved in sims. (I pick up something like falcon 4 once in awhile) However there is no doubt my involvement in games is firmly in the hardcore camp.

You're distilling the question too much. There are two axis you need to worry about, not just one. Time investment and complexity. They can be completely independent if you want.

The time investment is just a balance of making sure casual player can still progress while hardcore players have a hefty exponential curve to climb for smaller and smaller rewards. This is pretty typical with MMOs and you see stuff like rest XP and high end gear being most about prestige rather than its world better. This can be balanced for everyone, and has been done many times.

The other issue is really sim vs arcade and how much the game punishes you for screwing up. I like many sim type aspects, but there is a reason nobody does EQ style corpse runs anymore. They've already said no permanent mech destruction. I strongly suspect we'll see more similar methods that are forgiving when you lose. Its more about the flavor of the game here. ARMA vs COD for example. I'm with you on not wanting mech assault online, but I seriously doubt we'll see falcon 4 with mech either. I'm hoping for something just to the sim side of BF2 myself.

#13 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 17 January 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

Not really. Hardcore vs casual really has more to do with the time investment in a game than its inherent complexity. There are people who are are hardcore arcade players. I know some from Mortal Kombat and DDR for example. Of course there are those that are casually involved in sims. (I pick up something like falcon 4 once in awhile) However there is no doubt my involvement in games is firmly in the hardcore camp.

You're distilling the question too much. There are two axis you need to worry about, not just one. Time investment and complexity. They can be completely independent if you want.

The time investment is just a balance of making sure casual player can still progress while hardcore players have a hefty exponential curve to climb for smaller and smaller rewards. This is pretty typical with MMOs and you see stuff like rest XP and high end gear being most about prestige rather than its world better. This can be balanced for everyone, and has been done many times.

The other issue is really sim vs arcade and how much the game punishes you for screwing up. I like many sim type aspects, but there is a reason nobody does EQ style corpse runs anymore. They've already said no permanent mech destruction. I strongly suspect we'll see more similar methods that are forgiving when you lose. Its more about the flavor of the game here. ARMA vs COD for example. I'm with you on not wanting mech assault online, but I seriously doubt we'll see falcon 4 with mech either. I'm hoping for something just to the sim side of BF2 myself.

Ok, im traking on the difrance now..

but really, how did I miss a mention of confirmation that there will be no mech distruction? I hit up all the Dev Blogs x__x

#14 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostOmigir, on 17 January 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

Ok, im traking on the difrance now..

but really, how did I miss a mention of confirmation that there will be no mech distruction? I hit up all the Dev Blogs x__x

It was in one of the 4-5 interviews that was up just before christmas. I'll try and track down the specific quote if I can find it. The whole you'll be able to buy any mech with real $ or cbills with no leveling needed is easy. The destruction bit was a passing comment somewhere then.

#15 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

I am a time-forced casual gamer, and that is borne out by the fact that I like the HC list with the exception of the destruction options...

#16 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

No need to go digging if you dont have it right off hand there my lawyer freind. I been meaning to go through and do some re reading myself any how.

I just am a little stunned I missed it. Kinda explains why the perma distruction/ownership thread whent cold LOL

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users