Player Units

20 replies to this topic

#1 phalanx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationBenjamin District

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:44 PM

Now that we know that player units will be allowed, go to the MWO Wiki and add your unit:http://www.mwowiki.o...ne_Player_Units

Now if you excuse me, I have to flip through my copy of FM:Draconis Combine to see which unit I want to create.

#2 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:34 AM

View PostPhalanx, on 21 December 2011 - 11:44 PM, said:

Now that we know that player units will be allowed, go to the MWO Wiki and add your unit:http://www.mwowiki.o...ne_Player_Units

Now if you excuse me, I have to flip through my copy of FM:Draconis Combine to see which unit I want to create.

Done and Done!

#3 God of War

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationGermany/Stuttgart

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:08 AM

mission accomplished!

#4 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

Yes but from the Q&A it sounds like the Canon regiments will already be added to the game, and we will be able to join those before they even add in player made units. So we may not be able to start any of the canon regiments.

#5 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

That was my read on it as well Brewer.

#6 phalanx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

View PostPaladin Brewer, on 22 December 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

Yes but from the Q&A it sounds like the Canon regiments will already be added to the game, and we will be able to join those before they even add in player made units. So we may not be able to start any of the canon regiments.

Not the read I got from it, but it would make sense. In the same way certain Merc Groups would "locked out", it would sense for the admins to do the same to the House Regiments.

#7 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

Will there be sub-units to join within factions? In other words, can my friends and I join a specific regiment in order to assure that we will play together beyond lance-based formations? –Kudzu

[BRYAN] As part of ranking up players will be able to join faction units. Post launch we will support the ability for players to create their own faction units.

That's what it sounds like to me. The faction units will exist, but since rank etc is earned by points there isnt going to be any structure to it. It's probably just to make you feel warm and fuzzy.

I've been talking to my guys, and 9th Sword of the Dragon (a non-Canon DCMS unit) is most likely to go Merc at first, but only take up HK contracts until custom house units are put into place.

#8 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

View PostPaladin Brewer, on 22 December 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

View PostDihm, on 22 December 2011 - 11:46 AM, said:

That was my read on it as well Brewer.

I kinda feel this too. That's why I carefully picked a unit with an incredibly ambiguous past that has been retconned at least once and attempted to make an element that could have "survived" the retconning and gave it a non-canonical number ;) (That said, I think the Amphigean LAG is one of the few units that you could do that with in any plausible fashion...)

#9 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

Brewer and Hayden, that seems to be the way people who want a unit with actual rank structure and meaning are going. ;)

#10 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

How do you have 788 posts Dihm? Do you go outside? I don't even have that much to talk about on here ;)

Edited by Paladin Brewer, 22 December 2011 - 09:06 PM.

#11 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

I haven't even touched the off-topic stuff either.

I'm doing my best to be active, we didn't have the luxury of a pre-built player base from old games over in the FRR. ;)

Edited by Dihm, 22 December 2011 - 09:49 PM.

#12 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

Not true, FRR existed in MW leagues. Sure they usually only had 7 planets, but still ;)

#13 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

Quiet! Let me justify my excessive posting ya [a word that rhymes with lurk]! ;)

Ugh, I passed Metro today, that's a bad sign.

Edited by Dihm, 23 December 2011 - 07:43 AM.

#14 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

That's a sign you need help. The second sign is how quickly you responded to my previous post.

#15 phalanx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

So what I am thinking is that our rank and experience will determine the types of units we can join. We will have to rack up mucho experience to join Top Tier units(like the Sword of Light Regiments).

#16 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'm not too concerned about those canon units anyway. Probably mostly drop with my own guys only ;P

#17 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:01 AM

You always were such an elitist Brewer. ^_^

Have you (the 9th) given any thought to being a fanatically loyal merc unit (like we ended up doing) until they allow custom faction units? That way you can actually have a meaningful CoC with player defined ranks.

#18 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:24 AM

I'm not elitist, I just happen to enjoy consistent wins :D

And yes, everyone seems to agree to go to Merc with only HK contracts until (or if) an established house CoC is put in. We'll switch if the faction units are adequate.

#19 Harrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

View PostPaladin Brewer, on 22 December 2011 - 05:31 PM, said:

That's what it sounds like to me. The faction units will exist, but since rank etc is earned by points there isnt going to be any structure to it. It's probably just to make you feel warm and fuzzy.

I've been talking to my guys, and 9th Sword of the Dragon (a non-Canon DCMS unit) is most likely to go Merc at first, but only take up HK contracts until custom house units are put into place.

Honestly I don't see why you should have to... your out of game Unit name is really all the matters. For my guys we're looking at creating a name that would allow for us to be within another unit in Kurita for whatever reason. Like a detachment from a floating regiment or something like that. Since floating regiments tend to fall under the district in which they are currently assigned that shouldnt be tooo hard. Just embed something like that into your unit canon and go kill some stuff so we can all communicate in game under the kurita flag.

#20 Paladin Brewer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:19 AM

View PostHarrow, on 04 February 2012 - 01:51 AM, said:

Honestly I don't see why you should have to... your out of game Unit name is really all the matters. For my guys we're looking at creating a name that would allow for us to be within another unit in Kurita for whatever reason. Like a detachment from a floating regiment or something like that. Since floating regiments tend to fall under the district in which they are currently assigned that shouldnt be tooo hard. Just embed something like that into your unit canon and go kill some stuff so we can all communicate in game under the kurita flag.

Because from what I read there is no guarantee you will be able to drop together by just joining the same faction, as there will be no custom faction units at launch. Nor do you have any control over ranks, etc. I rather go merc and just take HK contracts until they decide that faction units are *gasp* actually important to the battletech universe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users