33 replies to this topic

#1 Enig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 594 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

So I love the look of Catapults, I have for seventeen years now, but I've always despised all missile systems. I dislike SRM's, LRM's, all of them.

So I absolutely love the look and functionality of the CPLT-K2 with the PPC loadout and the absolutely gorgeous weapons models they've gone with, displayed in one of the released desktop backgrounds shown here.

My question is, when I do the founders program, will I be able to use my founders catapult with the K2 chassis variant?

#2 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

No. The Founders Catapult is the C1. This is the same for all Founder's variants. They are the 'prime' variant of each chassis.

However, there's nothing stopping you from using your Founder's MC money to buy the K2.

#3 Shadowscythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 484 posts
  • LocationAt home, USA

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Nope.. you can put PPCs on the C1 (in the torsos kind of thing) and have jump jets..

Also it will level up that varient. And as far as we know, the more varients of the same chassis that you level up the better...Also the K2 doesn't have jump jets...Unless they changed that :P

Edited by Shadowscythe, 21 July 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#4 Enig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 594 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

View PostShadowscythe, on 21 July 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

Nope.. you can put PPCs on the C1 (in the torsos kind of thing) and have jump jets..

Also it will level up that varient. And as far as we know, the more varients of the same chassis that you level up the better...Also the K2 doesn't have jump jets...Unless they changed that :P

Works by me, I never did jump a lot. Men weren't meant to fly, and my mechs feet were meant to stay on the ground.
Alright, guess I'll go for the Legendary founders and buy the K2 with my money.

#5 Shadowscythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 484 posts
  • LocationAt home, USA

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

I have a fear of mech chassis where some varients have jump jets and others do not...
Getting used to having jump jets on the chassis.
I know the day will come when I start running off a cliff (like in a K2) and start tapping the jump jet key and nothing happens LOL

#6 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

Jump Jets seem more like a convenience thing anyway, for jumping over hills, instead of having to walk around them. Using jumpjets in combat is likely just going to get you killed since it makes you more visible and you cant maneuver very well mid-air. I plan on removing the jumpjets off my catapult, adding an XL engine, and upping the LRM15s to LRM20s.

#7 DoctorJest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationBourne, UK

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 21 July 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

No. The Founders Catapult is the C1. This is the same for all Founder's variants. They are the 'prime' variant of each chassis.

However, there's nothing stopping you from using your Founder's MC money to buy the K2.

Certainly that's my intent. Grind cash with the 'pult and spend it liberally on experimentation and whimsy - which will include all the variants....:D

#8 Shadowscythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 484 posts
  • LocationAt home, USA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:38 AM

Speaking of buying mechs with MC...Can we buy a tech 2 mech on day 1? :D

#9 trycksh0t

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

View PostKhobai, on 22 July 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

Jump Jets seem more like a convenience thing anyway, for jumping over hills, instead of having to walk around them. Using jumpjets in combat is likely just going to get you killed since it makes you more visible and you cant maneuver very well mid-air. I plan on removing the jumpjets off my catapult, adding an XL engine, and upping the LRM15s to LRM20s.

They also allow for rapid disengagement from close combat, DFA, pop-up spotting, and (my favorite) parking on top of buildings to rain death and destruction on the lowly peons below who cannot target you with their direct-fire weapons(has to be the right building). Jump jets are only limited by ones imagination on really dumb things one can do with them.

Edited by trycksh0t, 22 July 2012 - 01:35 AM.

#10 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:31 AM

They also allow for rapid disengagement from close combat, DFA, pop-up spotting, and (my favorite) parking on top of buildings to rain death and destruction on the lowly peons below who cannot target you with their direct-fire weapons(has to be the right building). Jump jets are only limited by ones imagination on really dumb things one can do with them.

Nah Jump Jets will be less useful than you think. Most of the time theyre just gonna make you a target. Trust me most people will strip out their jumpjets, add endosteel and xl engines, and make their catapults move 80kph instead of 60kph. Moving 80 is way better than any benefit jump jet give you.

#11 Jakob Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

View Posttrycksh0t, on 22 July 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

Well, there isn't close combat in MWO, DFA is likely to destroy your own mech as well as the target (from the fact they felt it was worthwhile to make a skill tree level to reduce the damage you take from it), and pop-up spotting will allow the enemy to spot -you- and IDF you as well (the tracking doesn't seem to immediately drop as soon as LOS is broken, but persist for a few seconds).

As to using buildings to shoot at targets on the ground, I think we all have seen what will happen to mechs that do that at time 0:53 in this video:

http://mwomercs.com/...deo/3CWr3ZUQJeo

'Target destroyed' indeed.

Jump jets will have their uses, but I am beginning to feel the devs will make the maps such that non-jump mechs will be able to get anywhere a jump jet mech can, and most areas where jump jets could be important will be kept away from anyplace where fighting is likely to happn to avoid making pilots of non-jumping mechs dissatisfied. The videos so far have only shown how unneeded jump jets seem to be intended to be in MWO.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 22 July 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#12 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

View PostJakob Knight, on 22 July 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

Well, there isn't close combat in MWO, DFA is likely to destroy your own mech as well as the target (from the fact they felt it was worthwhile to make a skill tree level to reduce the damage you take from it), and pop-up spotting will allow the enemy to spot -you- and IDF you as well (the tracking doesn't seem to immediately drop as soon as LOS is broken, but persist for a few seconds).

As to using buildings to shoot at targets on the ground, I think we all have seen what will happen to mechs that do that at time 0:53 in this video:

http://mwomercs.com/...deo/3CWr3ZUQJeo

'Target destroyed' indeed.

Jump jets will have their uses, but I am beginning to feel the devs will make the maps such that non-jump mechs will be able to get anywhere a jump jet mech can, and most areas where jump jets could be important will be kept away from anyplace where fighting is likely to happn to avoid making pilots of non-jumping mechs dissatisfied. The videos so far have only shown how unneeded jump jets seem to be intended to be in MWO.

I disagree. If jump jets give no advantage, people will be disappointed with them. And think about this.

In the videos, torso mounted weapons seem to have a relatively limited vertical aspect. When you can easily jump over a 'Mech or to a height with arm mounted weapons, you may well save yourself much pain and suffering.

#13 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

View PostJakob Knight, on 22 July 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

Well, there isn't close combat in MWO

What are you talking about? I've seen mechs get within distances to each other that would be considered sexual assault if you got that close on the street. Just because it's not melee doesn't make it not close combat.

#14 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

"Jump Jets seem more like a convenience thing anyway, for jumping over hills, instead of having to walk around them."

i'm sure there'll be hills that you can't climb that you'll be able to get to the top of with JJ's

" I've seen mechs get within distances to each other"

lol where did you see that?

#15 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostJason1138, on 23 July 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

" I've seen mechs get within distances to each other"

lol where did you see that?

Have you EVER played any of the other mech games or watched ANY of the MWO videos? A big thing they've emphasized on is light mechs getting within sexual assualt ranges of an Atlas.

#16 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

what do other mech games have to do with MWO?

#17 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

View PostJason1138, on 23 July 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

what do other mech games have to do with MWO?

Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat
Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy
Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries
Mechwarrior 3
Mechwarrior 3: Pirate's Moon
Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance
Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight
Mechwarriof 4: Mercenaries

Merry Christmas!

#18 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

again, what do other mechwarrior games have to do with whether or not there is close combat in MWO?

a list of titles is not an answer

#19 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostJason1138, on 23 July 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

again, what do other mechwarrior games have to do with whether or not there is close combat in MWO?

a list of titles is not an answer

I misread that as WHAT other and not WHAT DO other.

They've almost single handedly influenced the development of MWO by introducing the masses to a video game simulation of piloting a mech, simply put, no following for Mechwarrior 2 would ultimately mean no MWO. MWO is also drawing it's gameplay elements from a mix of ALL of the previous MW titles and the Battletech boardgame. They also share the simulator gameplay that it sounds like they're striving for with MWO, and even if the gameplay is different the mechanics are similar enough that your tactics in Mechwarrior 2/3/4 would still work with little adaption. The gameplay videos I've seen so far have battles that are VERY similar to battles that occur in Mechwarrior 4 and have occured in Mechwarrior 3 and 2.

Edited by aresfiend, 23 July 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#20 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

"I misread that as WHAT other and not WHAT DO other."

mistakes often happen when people are in a hurry to say something smart assed

i realize that othe games came before this one but this game has announced a break with past games numerous times so i dont think there's a 1 to 1 relationship. in terms of game decisions, MWO almost totally ignores Mechwarrior 4 and its add ons, for instance

leaving the clans out, leaving out in game re-arming and repair, etc, you could name numerous breaks with any one or all of those previous titles

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users