ISN News Flash

9 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

Sat. Jan 21, 3049: At New Syrtis Max, victims of pirate Paula “Lady Death” Trevaline’s past actions petition for her execution.

#2 Ryu Oni

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 3 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in New York

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

But Janurary 21st in 3049 would be a Sunday LOL

#3 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

You forgot to adjust for... um... Earth's inclination relative to the glactic core.. and, um.. spinward... magnetic fluctionations, causeing... evolution of.. swamp gasses, and that's why it's Saturday.

#4 Dlardrageth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hm, piracy in the 31st century, wonder how the legal codes deal with that. Considering the mutual state of low-intensity warfrae most of the Is is permanently in, one has to wonder why there hasn't been a widespread resurgence of the "Letter of Marque" mechanics. To make piracy partly work for the IS states instead of unanimously against them.

Edited by Dlardrageth, 21 January 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#5 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

Freedom for Lady Death!
Back to work against the Fedrat!

#6 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostDlardrageth, on 21 January 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

Hm, piracy in the 23rd century, wonder how the legal codes deal with that. Considering the mutual state of low-intensity warfrae most of the Is is permanently in, one has to wonder why there hasn't been a widespread resurgence of the "Letter of Marque" mechanics. To make piracy partly work for the IS states instead of unanimously against them.

I think there is, though not on the scale you're suggesting (and I agree with). However, not to the point of pirates becoming "privateers," and flying the flag of the House that hired them. Instead, I think it's pretty much backroom deals, with a bit of money (and weapons, 'Mechs, etc) changing hands, then the pirates "just happen" to start hitting one House rather than another. That's more or less how the Periphery works anyway, from what I've read. Pawns for the larger powers.

EDIT: Also, it's the 31st century, for the record.

Edited by Alistair Steiner, 21 January 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#7 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Lemme guess, the FedCom captured her?

Here in the DC, you capture a pirate, you get all the information you can out of them and you behead them. Simple, efficient, and civilized.

Stupid FedCommers. They're so disorganized, they'll probably let her escape.They need a STRONG leader, not that mumbo jumbo "justice of the courts" crap.

#8 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostAlistair Steiner, on 21 January 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

I think there is, though not on the scale you're suggesting (and I agree with). However, not to the point of pirates becoming "privateers," and flying the flag of the House that hired them. Instead, I think it's pretty much backroom deals, with a bit of money (and weapons, 'Mechs, etc) changing hands, then the pirates "just happen" to start hitting one House rather than another. That's more or less how the Periphery works anyway, from what I've read. Pawns for the larger powers.

EDIT: Also, it's the 31st century, for the record.

LOL, epic typo on my part, fixed it.

Yeah, kinda surprised FASA passed on that opportunity to add a large chunk of "space pirate" flavour to the game originally. After all, it is not too outlandish to assign piracy a bigger role as an option, even going as far as to the classical privateering you mentioned.

Edited by Dlardrageth, 21 January 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#9 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

The major problem for pirates is getting and maintaining a jumpship. Ain't cheap or just sitting around waiting to be stolen.

Letters of Marque are just MerCorp contracts tho' true pirates corps could be used as "believable deny-ability" units.

#10 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostDlardrageth, on 21 January 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

LOL, epic typo on my part, fixed it.

Yeah, kinda surprised FASA passed on that opportunity to add a large chunk of "space pirate" flavour to the game originally. After all, it is not too outlandish to assign piracy a bigger role as an option, even going as far as to the classical privateering you mentioned.

We can definately agree on this!. (Looks up in the sky for pigs)

View PostMorashtak, on 21 January 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

The major problem for pirates is getting and maintaining a jumpship. Ain't cheap or just sitting around waiting to be stolen.

Letters of Marque are just MerCorp contracts tho' true pirates corps could be used as "believable deny-ability" units.

Well as for the jumpship, it' seems like it would be better to get an insider on the ships crew. Possibly during cargo transfer, etc. Stealing them directly would probably be more difficult.

Edited by verybad, 22 January 2012 - 11:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users