61 replies to this topic

#21 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

I use the nostromo (belkin) n52 speedpad (left hand) and Logitech extreme 3D Pro joystick (right hand) for a mechwarrior match when I am in a mech. I use the d-pad for speed management with the throttle control on the joystick set at max (the d-pad over-rides it). I have my radar, map, and other controls set on the n52 for whatever feels right. I also have different settings on option for BA (then I switch from JS to mouse). The n52 has a button to select one of four different groupings (wait states) so you could set separate controls specifically for armor or aerospace as well.

on the WoW site

#22 Mordhar

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 69 posts
  • LocationChelyabinsk, Russia

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

I prefer joystick+mouse setup, because I think that joystick is too clumsy to use for targeting and keybord+mouse are not very comfortable way to control a mech.

My setup

For MW3/MW4:

Joystick (left hand)
X-axis - turning legs
Y-axis - throttle (it takes some time to get used to it, but after a couple of days become very natural way to control mech’s movment).
Twist and throttle - unused
Trigger - set as shift button
Hat - targeting (also with shift-trigger)
Upper - buttons jump-jets, coolant flush and so on

Mouse (right hand)
X-axis - torso twist
Y-axis - torso pitch
RMB - zoom
MMB - firing mode
Wheel - weapon groups
LMB - fire current group
Additional buttons - fire groups 2-5 (MW4)/choose group (MW3)

For AT1:BT (have separate control for non-fixed weapons/torso):

Joystick
X-axis - turning legs
Y-axis - torso pitch
Twist - torso twist

Mouse
X-axis/Y-axis - move crosshair
Wheel – throttle

Everything else is identical to previous setup.

#23 DarkTreader

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

Apparently I go with the wonky controls for a keyboard =p

E = Accelerate
Q = Decelerate
A = Turn Left
D = Turn Right
Tab = Target Next Enemy
W = Target Under Reticle
S = Target Nearest Friendly
`/~ = Jumpjets
LMB = Fire Group 1
RMB = Fire Group 2
Space = Fire Group 3
1 = Fire Group 4
2 = Fire Group 5
3 = Fire Group 6

Numpad 0 = 0% Throttle
Numpad 1 = 30% Throttle
Numpad 2 = 70% Throttle
Numpad 3 = 100% Throttle

And that's just the basic controls :D

#24 Nerts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

Badly.

#25 Zerik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 158 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

Usually I'll go with a keyboard/joystick combination when I can, but being on the move in other places my typical MW4 layout is pure keyboard, while MW3 (just for the floating reticle) also incorporates the mouse.
All on my beastly laptop with no numpad...

W=throttle up
S=throttle down
A=turn left
D=turn right
Z=torso twist left
C=torso twist right
X=center legs to torso
Q=target whatever's under the reticle
E=target next enemy
V=crouch
Alt+S=shutdown/startup
Ctrl+S=override shutdown
R=toggle active/passive radar
F=target next ally
L=toggle spotlight
J=jumpjets (rarely used)
[=previous weapon/group
]=next weapon/group (right mouse button in MW3)
\=toggle fire mode (mousewheel button in MW3)
Space=fire selected weapon/group (left mouse button in MW3)
1-6=fire specific weapon group
7-0=whatever I feel like at the time
Backspace=Open chat
Enter=Team chat
~=eject

And that's all I remember off the top of my head.
It's enough to let my Timber Wolf turn my enemies to scrap while I'm missing my joystick

Edited by Zerik, 22 January 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#26 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

I use an old Logitec Wingman for Mercs (Its the same exact general layout). The duel sticks give you a ton of fluidity when controlling your 'mech (especially lights and meds). Bare in mind I still use the keyboard for any other commands not quite as frequently used such as toggling radar on/off or "target next freindly",etc. The biggest advantage the gamepad has over a HOTAS is the simplicity and (I find) much better control you gain over piloting your 'mech. The biggest downside, naturally, is that you need good aim with thumbsticks to compete with those us computer mice to aim with.

But here is my setup off the top of my head....

LT - Fire JJ's
RT - Fire selected weapon group
______
| X Y Z |
| A B C |

The biggest difference however is that I have 6 face buttons instead of the two bumpers under the triggers as oppose to an PS3 or XBOX360 controller, but anyway...

A - Forward/Reverse
B - Set throttle Full
C - Set throttle 0%
x - Select next weapon group
y - Target under reticle
z- toggle zoom

Select - Flush Coolant

Right stick - Pitch and turn
Left stick - Torso twist

HAT up - look back
HAT back - Look down
HAT left - Next Target
HAT right - Change firing mode

I used to use a shift key back in the day, but I find this setup is much more simple and easier to do mutliple things at once such as firing jj's, looking down, shooting and torso twising all at once with ease. Then obviously, other useful commands such as override auto shutdown, startup/shut down, toggle map, radar passive/active are all on keyboard.

Since the controller is so old, and the buttons/joysticks are wearing out, I'm ganna start to use my wired Xbox Controller for MW:O. Since the layout is nearly identical, it shouldn't be too hard to switch two or three buttons around.

I personally would never EVER use a keyboard and mouse only setup, for most the best setup is a joystick or HOTAS, invest in a good controller/jostick/HOTAS and you'll notice a distince advantage in how much more fluidity you have in controling your 'mech over someone with using "WASD" or arrow keys. Granted aiming with a mouse is pretty easy.

Edited by mwhighlander, 22 January 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#27 DFDelta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

My controls in MW:LL

W/S = Accelerate/decelerate
A/D = Turn legs left/right
Space = Jump jets
C = Use coolant / override shutdown (2 different commands, both mapped to that key)
F = Zoom
R = Switch radar mode
Q = Enlarge map
X = Instantly stop
E = Switch acceleration mode (usually "K", those who play MW:LL know what command I mean :D )
ALT = Voice chat
STRG = Crouch
SHIFT = MASC
Mouse X/Y axis = Control torso
Left mouse button = Weapon Group 1
Right mouse button = Weapon Group 2
Thumb button 1 = Weapon group 3
Pinky button 1 = Weapon Group 4
Thumb button 2 = Weapon Group 5
Pinky button 2 = Weapon Group 6
Click mousewheel = Target target under in crosshair
Roll MW up = Target next enemy
Roll MW down = Target closest enemy

Guess my MW:O controls will be pretty much the same, maybe have to add a few buttons here and there for functions that don't exist in MW:LL.

#28 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

As you can see from all the above - with great difficulty and lot's of practice. I suggest you try MW4 and MWLL as although they will be different in some respects from whatever MWO does it will get you used to the basics and make it much easier to transition. Good luck & good playing :D

#29 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

How do you pilot your mech?

Like a boss?

It will depend on what joystick's are configured to work with MWO. I plan on going the joystick route with a setup similar to what the devs have posted in a few pics maybe not with the foot jobbies but the dual hand controls yes.

#30 DEVASTATOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

In the past (MW3/4) I used the Microsoft sidewinder joystick. I would regularly return them to the store, claiming they didn't work, and get an exchage as i was constantly breaking the trigger button. I suspect that I would probably prefer the same method of playing. The Logitech Extreme™ 3D Pro looks promising.

#31 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

I started playing Mechwarrior when the only FPSs I had were Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, so I was more used to using arrow keys and [Ctrl] to shoot. I didn't know about the wonderful WASD setup at that time so I still used arrow keys and mouse in MW games. + and - were my throttle with the number keys being weapons groupings and relying a lot on the Function keys to change what my readouts were or my radar range.

My first joystick in those days I think was called a Wingman and didn't have a twist function or throttle so I wasn't too impressed until I bought my Saitek Cyborg and the world become a brighter place. Customizable grip, lots of buttons, throttle, twist, and function keys on the joystick made me feel like Jack Black in Pick of Destiny when he's flying over the strawberry river all wide-eyed and amazed. I still used the keyboard with the joystick and I've never tried pedals or the multifunction throttle-bar thingie, but it probably would do almost all the things you need a keyboard for between the two of them.

On a side note, that Cyborg doesn't have the right connections for my current computer. Anyone know if they make adapters for that kind of thing?

#32 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

I used to play with the best Quake players in the world, back in the day, They were engineers that had been networking games since the beginning of such things, actually, before. I was at first fodder, then plodder as I learned to plod my way through till they got cocky or made a mistake, then boom, my kill. I remember, they were in a tournament, they were still goofing around, when the practice session ended, they found out they had just won the first round!! To my knowledge, they never lost a team match!

Anyway..I played at their network, and learned their way, then modified it for mechwarrior 3.

MOUSE=torso movement/freelook float reticle

left side button=jump jets ( J button programmed to mouse for mw3 intellemouse microsoft settings)Also J+Shift look back

left button=accelerate

scroll wheel=either enemy select or weapon group select(depending on game format)

scroll button=reticle zoom

Thanks uncle danno

right =lock/release freelook (Also when used with shift key it is legs center to torso)

right side button=change fire mode

Keyboard (this is the important part, the mind concept of firring with the left hand middle finger. your hand never floats or loses its place.)

C=fire

x=turn left

v=turn right

z= torso left(for when in freelook)

b=Torso right(for when in freelook)

G=change direction

Anything else is choice, and i don't remember. pretty much stock keyboard after that

I plan to use a flight system with pedals if I can get one, but I wish the throttle controller could twist also

Has anyone ever hooked up two joysticks, and a rudder control foot pedals???????????????

Edited by plodder, 24 January 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#33 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

The game must be accessible to people without a joystick otherwise you limit the player base.

Although I have joystick and pedals, and will probably use that for MWO, I'd like to see keyboard and mouse being just as viable a control scheme.

#34 Mims

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

there is a big one that people arn't using, and if you dont know about it your missing out.

CHANGE FIREING MODE.
SELECT NEXT WEAPON GROUP.

When you change firing mode, you will fire a weapon in that group every .5 seconds down the list and repeat. this is most effective for missle boating, however this will only change fire for group 1. so if you have 2 weapon groups you must select the next weapon group if you want to change its fireing mode. so here are some examples of secondary firemode.

MEDIUM LASER: Because each laser has a speed of 3 and 1 is fired every .5 seconds, 6 lasers will allow constant firing.
CLAN LRM10: Because each salvo has a speed of 6 and 1 is fired every .5 seconds, 12 C-LRM10s' will allow constant firing. (clan because they weigh less, also few chasis' carry 12 missle slots so you might have to use C-LRM5s' on lighter mechs.)

i highly recommend secondary fireing on missles, because then 3/4 of your salvos arn't being shot down by LAMS. just the first one.

Edited by Mims, 22 January 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#35 Alicorn

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

I never have played with a joystick - never really looked into one either. I did have a flight yoke/pedals at one point, but I never managed to use it for mech piloting. (It's serial, so I really can't use it at all these days.) So all control is strait-up keyboard for me.

For MW4 I had this setup, heavy emphasis on the numpad.
NUMPAD
8 - pitch up
2 - pitch down
4 - turn left
6 - turn right
7 - torso twist left
9 - torso twist right
1 - look left
3 - look right
- - throttle increase
+ - throttle decrease
Enter - reverse

Then I threw the rest on the main keypad, mainly grouped in certain rows to the left side according to importance.
Tab - change firing mode
Q - target next friendly
W - target object under reticule

A - change weapon/group
S - fire weapon/group
D - center torso to legs
F - target next enemy

Z - flush coolant
X - shutdown/start up

Those were my main groupings, (that I can remember) all the other functions - crouch, light amplification, radar controls, etc. - were scattered around in various patterns I could remember. When I got a new laptop though, all this got thrown out the window due to lacking a proper numpad. Without the familiar grid of turn/pitch/twist controls, I pretty much lost all my former control still trying to work out a new system, but seeing as that computer broke down withing four months... Yeah. Might just want to get a new one with a numpad.

#36 Maximilian Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of a Mech battle

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

I used a programmable joystick for MW4 and expansions. I plan on using a newer joystick-and-throttle setup for MWO. After a bit of practice, using the buttons on the joystick-and-throttle become practically second nature. Plus, it exponentially increases the immersive feel of piloting a Mech, no matter what the Tonnage or Weapon Loadout. Once you try a MW game with a programmable joystick or joystick-and-throttle...nothing else comes close. :D

#37 zeether

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

In MW4 Mercs I used keyboard and mouse controls, but I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro now that has a throttle and twists too, so I may go keyboard and joystick. It's a little tough to aim and shoot with keyboard and mouse in MW4.

#38 dh crow

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

Used to play with joysticks and dual-control sticks (Afterburner 2 was the best, Saitek stuff breaks faster and isn't as well designed), but eventually I switched to mouse and KB and never looked back. Accuracy on the mouse is way better and I needed that to stay competitive with the rest of my unit.

#39 Tifalia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoardwalk, Capellan Confederation

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

With the keyboard and mouse in the previous games, but for MechWarrior Online, I think I will be purchasing a joystick, since most players here have them already and I want to have better control of my 'mech and close the gap between those that already have joysticks so I can stand a fighting chance.

Of couse, as Recon pilot, the keyboard and mouse will suit me just as well, when I am a master at using speed and the battlefield terrain to my advantage.

I will decide closer on what I will do when the game is in its final release stages.

#40 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:38 AM

I have had surgery to allow "enhaced imaging" control via my brain. Unfortunately my brain is half damaged so I don't know how effective it will be.

;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users