P.B.I.(Poor Bloody Infantry)

16 replies to this topic

#1 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

Personally i believe that it would be awesome if we had some PBI to stomp on. What do ya'all think? Playing with PBI i think was the only cool feature in MechAssault, lol.

#2 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

AI controlled? Sure! As long its not players running around outside a mech its not a bad idea. Devs have hinted at some forms of minor AI controlled support units...

#3 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:57 AM

Think ERSB (or however that is spelled) ratings. You seriously think they'd get even a "Teen" rating when you could run around and stomp dozens of humans into a bloody pulp? Somehow doesn't seem likely...

#4 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:13 AM

View PostDlardrageth, on 24 January 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

Think ERSB (or however that is spelled) ratings. You seriously think they'd get even a "Teen" rating when you could run around and stomp dozens of humans into a bloody pulp? Somehow doesn't seem likely...

What was the rating on MechInsult again?

#5 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

View PostZervziel, on 24 January 2012 - 01:13 AM, said:

What was the rating on MechInsult again?

I think it got the "Teen" rating, but that was about 10 years ago and with major industrial pressure (MS) probably in the back. WoT doesn't even dare to graphically show crews in "open-roof" vehicles currently, because they might get shot at and thus screw up their rating... go figure... ;)

#6 Nerts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

View PostDlardrageth, on 24 January 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

Actually, a game can still have a teen rating if the ESRB rates it with "Violence: Blood and Gore - Depictions of blood or the mutilation of body parts.", as long as people and just crushed and not splattered into a thin red paste the devs would keep a teen rating.

Edited by Nerts, 24 January 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#7 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

It would be amusing only for a short time. After that, I would be focused on navigating the map, working with my team towards an objective and coordinating attacks.

#8 Molotch

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

As fun as it sounds, I don't think it would really add anything to the game.

#9 Maximilian Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of a Mech battle

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

I am not opposed to more realism in the game...as long as it does not significantly affect lag/latency. I don't want my Mech or weapons to slow their pace in the middle of combat due to infantry running helter skelter underneath like cockroaches.

#10 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:19 AM

Immaterial anyway, PGI has said no vehicles etc and no PvE.

#11 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:58 AM

I say put 'em in so I can stomp on their pityful little faces.

They shoulda trained to pilot mech, losers.

Crumbs.

Even I am surprised at how...violent...I can be to the common, BT infantryman. poor wee guys having to deal with people like me...

#12 Sid3track3d

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostOmigir, on 24 January 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

AI controlled? Sure! As long its not players running around outside a mech its not a bad idea. Devs have hinted at some forms of minor AI controlled support units...

What about the ability to jump out of your mech and take control of say vehicles and mounted guns. Maybe even as infantry players could work with explosives and traps to take down mechs.

#13 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostSid3track3d, on 25 January 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

What about the ability to jump out of your mech and take control of say vehicles and mounted guns. Maybe even as infantry players could work with explosives and traps to take down mechs.

Not going to happen anytime soon. MVP, man, MVP!!! :)

#14 Edward Radenovic-Espinueva

• PipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 83 posts
  • LocationTukayyid

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

I played the pencil/paper battletech with all those resource books and I have to say, I LOVE the fact that people SO underestimate infantry. Its almost second nature to view them as lesser in the field of combat. My mercenary units (yes plural) were composed of purely conventional forces; infantry supported by armor, field guns, field artillery, and conventional fighters. It was AWESOME. You just had to be more aware of your surroundings and use the terrain. Sure in terms of manpower I lost alot but in terms of equipment and cost in credits I lost a fraction of what my opponents lost. It paid in dividents the longer the campaign went on :) Recruiting, training in anti-mech tactics, and equipping a platoon of infantry is WAY cheaper then recruiting and equipping a mechwarrior (not even counting training).

I digress. I read somewhere in the forums there will be AI controlled armor, aerospace, and infantry, but not player controlled. Thats cool aslong as its not just mechs on the battlefield lol. But if infantry were an option to play, I'd SO play them instead :( But I guess MMOs have limits, for now.

Edited by Gaius Julius Caesar, 28 January 2012 - 12:56 AM.

#15 chill1ray

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSome Back Water Planet!

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

well you know they do have age appropriate filters so maybe I can Filter out blood and gore when my daughter plays this game!

#16 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

Well the ERSB rating will be worse if we have to stomp on the civilians for lack of legitimate stomping targets such as infantry.
MW3 had people stomping but then I don't remember what rating it got.

#17 Perfecto Oviedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 207 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostFiachdubh, on 27 January 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

Well the ERSB rating will be worse if we have to stomp on the civilians for lack of legitimate stomping targets such as infantry.
MW3 had people stomping but then I don't remember what rating it got.

Was about to mention MW3. I believe it got a T rating, but then again, it was usually only one dude here and one dude there (although they had the Wilhelm Scream, which was funny to listen to), not squads etc...

But yeah, I wouldn't mind that as long as they posed some sort of (even minor) threat, and maybe if they were optional, depending on the match (or however it worked). I wouldn't want them to be in the game solely as targets to be demolished.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users