Atlas or Daishi?

703 replies to this topic

#661 Phantom360

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 92 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOver where the grass is greener.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:23 AM

probably a daishi(dire wolf) because although it has a massive CT I expect while I'm in a daishi to be able to force targets to either disengage due to the sheer weight of weapons being fired at them or rip them apart before they can do all their damage
point being I love both mechs however I will only pilot the daishi when its released because its overall firepower, armour and speed is awesome for a 100 tonner

#662 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:25 AM

After using both in Living Legend's.

Daishi.
He don't have a "killer look". But dude, when you see one. You know you have to run, and run fast.

#663 Grey Death Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 290 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:01 AM

Guys I have been reading up a lot Clan Mechs, one of major disadvantages is you have fixed engines. The Dashir is 46.6 kph the atlas also runs at 48.8 kph however in the end Atlas offers better customization than the Dashir you can upgrade your engine in an atlas . I defiantly consider the War Hawk at 64.8 kph over Dashir 46.6 kph this is one major disadvantage with clan mechs, until they lift the ban on fixed engines on Clans Im afraid the Dire wolf would be collecting dust in a Mech Bay.

The Dire wolf is a Death Trap okay it has awesome fire power, but it is extremely slow and maneuverability making it easy prey for Lights mediums and heavy class Mechs. This fixed engine Idea has really crippled Clan mechs I hope PGI reconsider this idea. And this not only assaults classes but Light Clan Mechs are technically infearer to inner sphere lights mechs.

I can only Hope the PGI reconsider this Idea of fixed engines i.e remove this idea as is major flaw and affects light and assault class Clan mech dramatically

Edited by Death Storm, 16 March 2014 - 04:17 AM.

#664 TurkeyMcCoolRay

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:27 AM

Atlas, it seems more intimidating to me. If only in the looks department, but that is what you want in your 100 ton mechs.

#665 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:47 AM

The only thing keeping clan mechs from OMG Hax in this game is the engine cap. I hope the engine cap stays. But I doubt because the power gamers keep whinging.

#666 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

Posted Image

p.s. noticed that i was in the davion forums after posting...damnit..

Edited by Eglar, 16 March 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#667 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 16 March 2014 - 03:25 AM, said:

After using both in Living Legend's.

Daishi.
He don't have a "killer look". But dude, when you see one. You know you have to run, and run fast.

Upside, you do not need to run fast to get away from a Dire Wolf, quiaff? :D

#668 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 16 March 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

Upside, you do not need to run fast to get away from a Dire Wolf, quiaff? :D

You cannot outrun the Autocannons and ERLL... B) You can run, but you will only die tired...

#669 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

Dire Atlas.

Seriously, though, Dire Wolf.

#670 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

Dire Wolf. I just like the look and design of the mech, even though I hate the stock loadout for both mechs.

#671 Fyrwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:48 AM

View PostDeath Storm, on 16 March 2014 - 04:01 AM, said:

Dashir

What the frig is a Dashir. It's Daishi. Daishi is a Japanese compound word. Dai has many meanings depending on the kanji and context it's used in (teacher or professor being the most common), but in this context it means Great. Shi means death (shinobi means Beauty of Death) or the number four.

The Dire wolf is a Death Trap okay it has awesome fire power, but it is extremely slow and maneuverability making it easy prey for Lights mediums and heavy class Mechs.

Right, I'd like to see a lance of Jagermechs or Cataphracts take on a lance of Daishi. No, really, I would. I want to know how quickly the Phracts would die once contact was made.

I can only Hope the PGI reconsider this Idea of fixed engines i.e remove this idea as is major flaw and affects light and assault class Clan mech dramatically

The problem isn't the engine, it's that the Clan weapons were neutered. Actually, it is the engine because in the tabletop game the Daishi's top speed is 54km/h. I suspect most of the mechs in this game are a lot slower than they should be.

#672 Scarlet Tempest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 111 posts
  • LocationThule System

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:00 AM

Dire Wolf all day and all night.

#673 Grey Death Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

View PostFyrwulf, on 18 March 2014 - 03:48 AM, said:

What the frig is a Dashir. It's Daishi. Daishi is a Japanese compound word. Dai has many meanings depending on the kanji and context it's used in (teacher or professor being the most common), but in this context it means Great. Shi means death (shinobi means Beauty of Death) or the number four.

Congratulations for pointing out i made spelling mistake, so what, who cares -Dashir or Daishi who give a dam, secondly i already knew of the Japanese terminology Daishi refers to Chinese word "great death" where did you go to get your info from let me guess ? https://www.google.c...re_Wolf_(Daishi)

Right, I'd like to see a lance of Jagermechs or Cataphracts take on a lance of Daishi. No, really, I would. I want to know how quickly the Phracts would die once contact was made.

where did your battle tactics come from ? (think about the Daishi strengths and weaknesses before displaying your argument) . Firstly since PGI are going to be introducing the 3-3-3-3 system to match makers, having a lance Daishi is limited these days. Secondly your argument refers to firepower never has it entered your mind what happens if you come across a cunning skilled pilot who uses the Assault Mech Daishi weakness= slow maneuverability to there advantage, in faster mech its not hard for example staying out of the daishis firing range find the blind spot and attack.

Your argument is flawed because in mechwarrior online there will not be a situation where a lance of Jagermechs or Cataphracts go head to head against lance of Daishi. Event if it could happen Jagermechs or Cataphracts pilots would use there speed to outmaneuver the Daishi find a blind spot where the daishi could not fire and attack. Do me a favor don't try to lecture me on use tactics I am very experienced and a good pilot in mechwarriror.

one more thing a lone light mech would easily take out a 1 x daishi as already explained in my previous comment there's the extreme magnitude of my argument

The problem isn't the engine, it's that the Clan weapons were neutered. Actually, it is the engine because in the tabletop game the Daishi's top speed is 54km/h. I suspect most of the mechs in this game are a lot slower than they should be.

You kind of contradicted yourself didn't you !

Edited by Death Storm, 18 March 2014 - 08:46 AM.

#674 Fyrwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostDeath Storm, on 18 March 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

Congratulations for pointing out i made spelling mistake, so what, who cares -Dashir or Daishi who give a dam, secondly i already knew of the Japanese terminology Daishi refers to Chinese word "great death" where did you go to get your info from let me guess ? https://www.google.c...re_Wolf_(Daishi)

It's Japanese, not Chinese. I don't suppose the fact that I know what shinobi means could possibly be a clue that my grasp of Japanese isn't limited to the few words used in the BT universe? As it happens, I've been watching anime since I was 14 and I tend to prefer subtitles with the original Japanese voice actors, so I've picked up quite a bit of Japanese.

where did your battle tactics come from ? (think about the Daishi strengths and weaknesses before displaying your argument) . Firstly since PGI are going to be introducing the 3-3-3-3 system to match makers,

3-3-3-3 is only mandated in PUGs, bro. Check your info.

Secondly your argument refers to firepower never has it entered your mind what happens if you come across a cunning skilled pilot who uses the Assault Mech Daishi weakness= slow maneuverability to there advantage, in faster mech its not hard for example staying out of the daishis firing range find the blind spot and attack.

I never said that a Daishi operating alone would necessarily beat a faster heavy. In fact, my own experiences piloting an assault and being left in the cold by my cowardly team mates after initial contact leads me to believe otherwise.

Your argument is flawed because in mechwarrior online there will not be a situation where a lance of Jagermechs or Cataphracts go head to head against lance of Daishi.

You're sure about that? What about in leagues that decline to stick to the 3-3-3-3 model? After all, it's been said repeatedly on the NGNG podcast by the devs that private matches will have the ability to use whatever drop model they like.

Event if it could happen Jagermechs or Cataphracts pilots would use there speed to outmaneuver the Daishi find a blind spot where the daishi could not fire and attack. Do me a favor don't try to lecture me on use tactics I am very experienced and a good pilot in mechwarriror.

Your one and a half years of playing a game that is notable for having almost no tactics trumps my nearly 15 years of serious study into real world militaries, including their organization, tactics, and strategies? Okay, buddy.

You kind of contradicted yourself didn't you !

No, not really. I would happily take a lance of random Daishi pilots, train them intensely for a week, and be fairly confident of crushing any heavy lance of your choice.

The speed is a general problem in all mechs in that it doesn't conform to BT specs.

#675 Grey Death Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

View PostFyrwulf, on 18 March 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

It's Japanese, not Chinese. I don't suppose the fact that I know what shinobi means could possibly be a clue that my grasp of Japanese isn't limited to the few words used in the BT universe? As it happens, I've been watching anime since I was 14 and I tend to prefer subtitles with the original Japanese voice actors, so I've picked up quite a bit of Japanese.

You just don't seem to get it I don't CARE!! if I'm slightly off with the language or odd spelling mistake, do you understand that! i can accept that .Ps fact that you are going out your way to point out petty spelling mistakes or mistaken language that i've made in my post. tells me you obviously have something to prove !! or you are using anything you can to discredit my word its petty and sad.

3-3-3-3 is only mandated in PUGs, bro. Check your info.

Ps your not my Bro so stop calling me BRO! and yes im aware of Private matches however those types options are only available to people who pay for the private queues which i'm not going to do so not applicable to me.

I never said that a Daishi operating alone would necessarily beat a faster heavy. In fact, my own experiences piloting an assault and being left in the cold by my cowardly team mates after initial contact leads me to believe otherwise.

Look stop twisting words and except fact that either you did not read my original post properly or in your so called Vast wisdom of battletech you didn't think about a situation where you in Daishi were on your own against a faster mech then suddenly realising that having awesome fire power is not so great when enemy can run circles around you.

PS its great having awesome fire power however if you move as fast as a turtle you are a sitting duck !!!, with fixed engine. you cannot add faster engine in Clan Mechs, now adding faster engine does mean need take tonnage way from weapons but its a sacrifice any mechwarrior should consider. The inner sphere mechs are able swap out engine why not Clans ?. Personally comparing an Atlas to the Clan Daishi both have same armour and 100 tons at the moment you better off with the atlas as you have better customization.

You're sure about that? What about in leagues that decline to stick to the 3-3-3-3 model? After all, it's been said repeatedly on the NGNG podcast by the devs that private matches will have the ability to use whatever drop model they like.

Yes and as I said I not paying for the private matches so that is not applicable me.

Your one and a half years of playing a game that is notable for having almost no tactics trumps my nearly 15 years of serious study into real world militaries, including their organization, tactics, and strategies? Okay, buddy.

Heres a News Flash you don't know me!!and what experience I have so Please Dont try to assume you can tell me what my level is. PS mechwarrior online is not real so where are you coming from with your 15 year study (curious does your military manual talk about giant Mech Combat tactics) , oh please don't call me Buddyeither

No, not really. I would happily take a lance of random Daishi pilots, train them intensely for a week, and be fairly confident of crushing any heavy lance of your choice.

That a premade group strategy your talking about again you miss point i trying make my original post which was talking about the Main weakness of the Assault Mech Daishi

Edited by Death Storm, 18 March 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#676 Fyrwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

View PostDeath Storm, on 18 March 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

Look stop twisting words and except fact that either you did not read my original post properly or in your so called Vast wisdom of battletech you didn't think about a situation where you in Daishi were on your own against a faster mech.

I thought it was a given that if an assault gets caught out in the open against a faster mech it was dead unless the assault pilot is really good? Why would I have to address that? Your original post did not state, "If caught alone", it was a blanket statement. I refuted your blanket statement. You came back trying to claim your original post was a situation that applies to all assaults and is not particular to the Daishi.

The inner sphere mechs are able swap out engine why not Clans?

You appear to not be familiar with the Battletech universe. Omnimechs can't swap engines or chassis types, it's a designed drawback to being able to quickswap weapons in the field. It's why the clanners are bitching about the weapons nerfing.

Heres a News Flash you don't know me!!and what experience I have so Please Dont try to assume you can tell me what my level is. PS mechwarrior online is not real so where are you coming from with your 15 year study (curious does your military manual talk about giant Mech Combat tactics).

Mechanized warfare is mechanized warfare. The tactics that work for tanks in the real world will work for battlemechs. Also, you're right, I don't know you, but to hazard a guess I'm going to say that if you were ever in the military you were never an NCO or officer because your writing would be unacceptable in a report.

oh please don't call me Buddyeither

Your sarcasm meter appears to be broken.

That a premade group strategy your talking about again you miss point i trying make my original post talking about Main weakness of Assault Mech Daishr

It's a weakness of all assaults, not particular to the Daishi. Again, do you have a point specific to the Daishi or are you going to keep blathering on about the general weaknesses of assault mechs that no competent pilot would willingly allow to happen?

#677 Grey Death Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostFyrwulf, on 18 March 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

I thought it was a given that if an assault gets caught out in the open against a faster mech it was dead unless the assault pilot is really good? Why would I have to address that? Your original post did not state, "If caught alone", it was a blanket statement. I refuted your blanket statement. You came back trying to claim your original post was a situation that applies to all assaults and is not particular to the Daishi.

No you have missed the point I was originally making it was not just about being "If caught alone" it was also about how this affects clan light mechs as well, so obviously you should stop looking at 2 particular words then pointing pin holes in post before reading whole post to get better idea what im say.

You appear to not be familiar with the Battletech universe. Omnimechs can't swap engines or chassis types, it's a designed drawback to being able to quickswap weapons in the field. It's why the clanners are bitching about the weapons nerfing.

Okay you put me on the chair about battletech universe, but haven't you heard the dev are breaking rule by nerfing weapons for balance so why cant they add removable engines. Dont get me wrong i'm all for some form of balance but fixed engines is a serious problem.

Mechanized warfare is mechanized warfare. The tactics that work for tanks in the real world will work for battlemechs. Also, you're right, I don't know you, but to hazard a guess I'm going to say that if you were ever in the military you were never an NCO or officer because your writing would be unacceptable in a report.

so you apply Mechanized warfare tanks to a giant walking mech, okay thats a big difference especially when you are one big target in my case no thanks, You are correct you don't know me and the next time you remember that!! before you decide leave your personal opinion of someone, Oh by the way I am not writing any army report so your initial evaluations are invalid.

Your sarcasm meter appears to be broken.

I wasnt being Sarcastic I was being serious !!

It's a weakness of all assaults, not particular to the Daishi. Again, do you have a point specific to the Daishi or are you going to keep blathering on about the general weaknesses of assault mechs that no competent pilot would willingly allow to happen?

No my main point here to your answer is and what original thread Stated regarding Atlas or Daishi is Personally comparing an Atlas to the Clan Daishi both have same armour and 100 tons However at the moment you better off with the atlas as you have better customization option also you can swap the engine out. Im glad to see you left this part out of your argument I thought I would bring it back.

Edited by Death Storm, 18 March 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#678 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostFyrwulf, on 18 March 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

lol

#679 Fyrwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostDeath Storm, on 18 March 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

No if have missed the point I was originally making it was not just about being "If caught alone" also about how this affects light mechs as well, so obviously should stop looking at 2 particular words then pointing pin holes in post before reading whole post to get better idea what im saying.

So you're making a blanket statement after all. Your entire point posits that the pilot of the lighter mech is smart and the assault pilot is stupid, and it relies entirely on the environment being a PUG where no teamwork is evident. Therefor, as a blanket statement, your position is false.

Okay you put me on the chair about battletech universe, but haven't you heard the dev are breaking rule by nerfing weapons for balance so why cant they add removable engines. Dont get me wrong i'm all for some form of balance but fixed engines is a serious problem.

I would vastly prefer MWO preserve the balance of BT as it has been developed. The real problem is that Clan weapons have been nerfed, so there is nothing to offset the disadvantage of fixed engine, chassis, and armor.

so you apply Mechanized warfare tanks to a giant walking mech, okay thats a big difference especially when you are one big target in my case no thanks, You are correct you don't know me and the next time you remember that!! before you decide leave your personal opinion of someone, Oh by the way I am not writing any army report so your initial evaluations are invalid.

Of course it works within the context of BT. There are tons of ways I might take advantage of an attitude like yours, even in a PUG where I'm just dropping with two other Daishi pilots, to set up (as an example) a textbook ambush.

I wasnt being Sarcastic I was being serious !!

I was being sarcastic.

No my main point here to your answer is and what original thread Stated regarding Atlas or Daishi is Personally comparing an Atlas to the Clan Daishi both have same armour and 100 tons However at the moment you better off with the atlas as you have better customization option also you can swap the engine out. Im glad to see you left this part out of your argument I thought I would bring it back.

You came into a thread that asked people to choose based, primarily, upon looks and tried to give a serious answer. I have humored you by pointing out the flaws in your thinking. And just an FYI, to get enough of a speed advantage to actually matter the Atlas has to accept a severe reduction in firepower. If you don't believe me, just look at the Boar's Head hero mech.

View PostArmandTulsen, on 18 March 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

lol

I don't understand what's funny. The best way to learn a language is immersion.

#680 Grey Death Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

View PostFyrwulf, on 18 March 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

So you're making a blanket statement after all. Your entire point posits that the pilot of the lighter mech is smart and the assault pilot is stupid, and it relies entirely on the environment being a PUG where no teamwork is evident. Therefor, as a blanket statement, your position is false.

There you go again trying to put words in my mouth, if your not doing that you target spelling. Again I never said any of that " lighter mech is smart and the assault pilot is stupid and it relies entirely on the environment being a PUG where no teamwork is evident" THATS YOUR WORD ALONE!!!, (STOP TRYING TO TWIST MY WORD) correction your position is false.

I would vastly prefer MWO preserve the balance of BT as it has been developed. The real problem is that Clan weapons have been nerfed, so there is nothing to offset the disadvantage of fixed engine, chassis, and armor.

You seem to be contradicting yourself I would agree some of what you are saying regarding BT and as you already just stated "The real problem is that Clan weapons have been nerfed, so there is nothing to offset the disadvantage of fixed engine, chassis, and armor." see hears the problem you have nerfed weapons at same time your customization is nerfed cant upgrade the engine. People are spending a lot of money on these mech and are probaly asking what am i getting for my money

Of course it works within the context of BT. There are tons of ways I might take advantage of an attitude like yours, even in a PUG where I'm just dropping with two other Daishi pilots, to set up (as an example) a textbook ambush.

Again - when you state text book ambush give expert advice on how fight in a battle, No text book will ever prepare a solder for unexpected situation than personal Experience in the battle field you of all people should know that unexpected events occur all the time.

Again a Mech is a huge target not a TANK !!.

I was being sarcastic.

Yes i know you were being sarcastic because you could not counter my last thread argument.

Just so everyone know this guy was calling me Buddy and Dude I told him stop calling me this as i was neither, so his response was "Your sarcasm meter appears to be broken."

I replied I was not being sarcastic

You came into a thread that asked people to choose based, primarily, upon looks and tried to give a serious answer. I have humored you by pointing out the flaws in your thinking. And just an FYI, to get enough of a speed advantage to actually matter the Atlas has to accept a severe reduction in firepower. If you don't believe me, just look at the Boar's Head hero mech.

Personally that's your opinion about my threads again and you have been wrong on most them I find it funny that you refuse to challenge me further on some the aspects of my previous threads.

"I have humored you by pointing out the flaws in your thinking" you seem to think you are peg better than other people but in short you have never been so wrong you came into this thread with an intellectual attitude with the opinion you are right and everyone else is wrong. and you have just proved to be wrong.

I don't understand what's funny. The best way to learn a language is immersion.

Hes probably laughing at you !!!

Edited by Death Storm, 19 March 2014 - 08:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users