#1 Handicap

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 64 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:15 AM

Hola Ladies and gents,

I was hoping someone might be able to direct me to some decent lore. It doesn't matter if it's book format/online/etc.

While I love Mechwarrior I think I might have been just a little too young and a little too focused on other things while growing up to really be able to get into anything more than just blowing things up with a giant battlemech. Now that we're here, where we are now with this game on the horizon, I'd like to know as much as I can so that I can make better judgments on the factions/houses/merc groups and whatnot.

Any help would be well appreciated.

#2 riot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

www.sarna.net <--- gives you a good start. For the Novells try on Amazon but watch out not to order DarkAge ones.

#3 Handicap

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 64 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:20 AM

Thanks for the link.

If you could, whats wrong with the DarkAge ones? I ask because I just want to get a feel for which books/authors I should go for that will help me out the most.

Matter of fact, think you could list your favorites? :D

Thanks again.

#4 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

View PostHandicap, on 09 August 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

Thanks for the link.

If you could, whats wrong with the DarkAge ones? I ask because I just want to get a feel for which books/authors I should go for that will help me out the most.

Posted Image

Not only that, but lore is really bad and rules for the tabletop are too easy/screwed up.

#5 riot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

Try to start with this one:

http://www.amazon.de...44522169&sr=8-6

well, i can only post the german link.

In this Trilogy you will learn much about clans, the innere sphere and the political relations they got. It starts in the year 3049 short before the clans arrive, which will be next year on the MWO timeline.

#6 Kribson

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

i would suggest you start with the grey death trilogy playing in 3025 and then read further until 3050.that should give you a perfect background

Edited by Kribson, 09 August 2012 - 06:37 AM.

#7 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

View Postriot, on 09 August 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

It starts in the year 3049 short before the clans arrive, which will be next year on the MWO timeline.

Actually it's "3049" already. :D

#8 Kiahoga

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

Yeah Grey Death Legion Trilogy, Wolves on the border, and the Warrior Trilogy would give you a good feeling for the start of the lore.

Edited by Kiahoga, 09 August 2012 - 07:22 AM.

#9 Handicap

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 64 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

Thanks much guys.

Edit:

Searching Amazon for these books and I'm coming up with a lot of "Saga of the Grey Death #XX"

Seeing a 1-5 for these Saga books, right ones?

Edited by Handicap, 12 August 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#10 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

grey death saga is 3 books
Decision at thunder rift
mercenary's star
price of glory

They then continued it post clan invasion , from the point of view of the commanders son.

Blood of Heroes
Tactics of Duty
Operation Excalibur.

To bring you up to date (eg, pre-clan invasion) you could read the following books, in order, to give you the full run down on the current heads of house and what not, up to the late 3040's

Sword and the Dagger (Ardath Mayhar. very rare, and expensive when you do see one on ebay) introduces you to Hanse Davion, Arden Sortek (Davion main characters), Maximilian Liao (House Liao chancellor). Major information here that later gets expounded on in other books. (spolier: Plot by Max Liao to replace Hanse Davion with a look-a-like)

The first three about the grey death, only covers there adventures for their inception etc.

Wolves on the Border. Enter the Wolf's Dragoons, and the inception of the Ryuken regiments. Background on why house Kurita and the Dragoon's don't get on. Also adds info for the next book to read.

Heir to the Dragon. Covers the major time line from the rise of Takeshi Kurita, right up to the mid 3040's, with his son in charge of all things military. very good book. Some pointers back to WotB.

Warrior: En Garde, Warrior: Riposte, Warrior: Coupe. major house Davion info here, covering 3020's up to 3040's. If you don't get the Grey Death books, try and get these at least.

Finally, there is (beginning of clan invasion, next year or 2) the Blood of Kerensky trilogy.

And I'll leave it there. Anything after that is way in the future as far as the Inner Sphere goes.

good luck, and happy reading.

#11 Handicap

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 64 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

I was able to get my hands on an electronic copy of Wolves on the Border.

Wow.. Good read.

Thanks for all of the input guys. Trying to acquire more now.

#12 BlackAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

You given Battlecorps a looksie?

#13 Handicap

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 64 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Not yet, trying to break into the books that were recommended multiple times so far.

#14 Rogue Azuryn

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:21 AM

View PostHandicap, on 09 August 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

Thanks for the link.

Matter of fact, think you could list your favorites? :)

Thanks again.

DarkAge books are ok, but you have to remember that is 100 yrs after the start of this game. The authors I like in Battletech/Mechwarrior is Michael Stackpole. If you are wanting lore for this era try to find 'regular' Battletech or MechWarrior books.

#15 BlackAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

Ah, that reminds me, the Battletech website used to have the old 3028 Housebooks available as free downloads on their main page. They're definitely worthy of a look, if you can stomach the 80s fashion.

Scratch that they've pulled them they just have the free universe primer now.

http://www.battletech.com/downloads-2/

Edited by BlackAce, 02 September 2012 - 02:14 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users