Gameplay style, lumbering or rocketing?

61 replies to this topic

#61 PewPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationUS - East

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

Why can't we have something in between?

If I were to imagine BT in real life, the mechs would HAVE to have enough elegance in movement to be as nimble and fast as they can be. Anything in excess of that would start looking like Gundam.

I strongly believe that if the animators and artists do a good job of depicting large masses of military hardware capable of relatively precise maneuvering, the mechs will be naturally beautiful. Many philosophers believe that beauty largely comes from functionality. A boat is beautiful because it can navigate waters with ease. A Lamborghini is beautiful because its curves and angles work aerodynamically. A mech is beautiful because it can destroy your enemies.

#62 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

View PostGrimJim, on 06 February 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

Disagree.

Especially when you look at how fast TT moved, a fight lasted a matter of seconds to minutes based off of turn lengths. Real-time gameplay always took hours so peeps usually forget this. Get the blood pumping, shake it up, this is sci-fi after all and remember most 20 tonners moved in excess of 70mph!

I think the big thing needed is a focus on physics! See & feel the weight. What does 100 tons of steel do to a street? How big are AC/5 shells to the infantry below? What is the recoil of a 200mm gun like? How hot is a PPC's man-made lightning?

For an anime equivalent -- Think Gundam MS Team: 08, NOT Gundam 00.

This. All of this.
While I'm all for lumbering in general, how the h*ll do you get something like a Locust to lumber? That's a nimble, dare I say, spry little mech. It rockets. I think there's plenty of room for both styles.

26 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users