Depressing Mech Choices

483 replies to this topic

#281 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 01 February 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

Taken from original Mechwarrior - (before name was Hijacked)

Oh, you mean Mechwarrior 1st Edition? Used six sided die for all the rolls. What you seemed to be referring too is Mechwarrior 3rd edition.

#282 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

View PostPaladin1, on 01 February 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

Okay, here's where you're running into problems again. Why wouldn't a `Mech be able to have the same range of movement as a human if it's got all the actuators? You're saying that it can't bring it's arm over it's chest, but not explaining why. I can show, via blueprints of humanoid designs such as the Battlemaster, how it's capable of doing so due to the inclusion of shoulder and elbow actuators.

On the one hand, BT states that, "Arm-mounted weapons may fire into the forward arc plus the appropriate side arc", "Weapons mounted in a ’Mech’s left arm may fire at targets in the left side arc and forward arc", and "Weapons mounted in a ’Mech’s right arm may fire at targets in the right side arc and forward arc". (Total Warfare, pg. 105)

There is also a handy illustration of the firing arcs on the same page.
  • The forward arc appears to cover the ~140-160 degree arc in front of the 'Mech (~70-80 degrees to either side of straight forward).
  • The left and right arcs appear to cover an additional ~55-65 degrees to the side side of the foward arc.
  • The rear arc appears to cover the ~90 degree arc behind the 'Mech (~45 degrees to either side of directly behind the 'Mech).

On the other hand, we also have several illustrations of 'Mechs in stances requiring having their arms cross their chests:

Hatchetman
Posted Image

Axman
Posted Image

Volkh
Posted Image

So, it appears that it can be done on some models, with the likely limitations being a given 'Mech's geometry - I doubt that, say, a Nova or a Timber Wolf or a Dire Wolf could do the same thing as the 'Mechs shown above...

Edited by Strum Wealh, 01 February 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#283 The007Griz

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • Locationkalamazoo michigan

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Mechs should have hands! Even if you don't know the tabletop games (like myself) I encourage you to find and play "THE CRESCENT HAWKS INCEPTION" and "THE CRESCENT HAWKS REVENGE." Both are true "battletech" games than mechwarrior games. Beyond that, having hands is a GREAT reason for "passive radar mode." I have played most of the electronic realizations of battletech (missed a few expansions) and passive radar was an epic fail. Sure, when your team goes passive they quit getting targeted, but you as the player never had that luxary. You'd think that going passive and dodging amongst the buildings of an urban environment would eventually lose your aggressors amongst the EM generated by a city! However that never worked, At best you used buildings for cover as you backward walked.

I like the mechs building defensive structures idea, Kudos to that guy. Ducking behind cover and going passive. I should be able to use cover (and hands) enough to splinter cell a good cockpit stab or something.

#284 Punisher 1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Actually I like mechs of all designs that make sense. Some of them are down right goofy but then if you are looking to make a new design it probably will not appeal to everyone.

I HOPE that MWO adds a large amount of mechs to this game over time because that is what adds some spice to the playability of the game.

#285 Phades

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

Someone forgot when they started this trolling thread that the clan style designs came after the IS style designs. This is in addition to leaving logic at home when implying that the inclusion of hands invalidates a machine for military purposes.

#286 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

I've been scouring the internet looking for more of FD's drawings and I must say, he makes every mech look fantastic, even as concept art.
Here are 5 new concepts that hopefully will show up in the game soon. :)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#287 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

The single most important one they could do is that last photo beside the Thorn...

It's kinda hard to tell but I think that's a........

M - A - R - A - U - D - E - R

BTW: Max, this thread was dead. You have made it Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise from the Dead (again)

#288 Pvt Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

Holy Necro batman!

#289 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

I'm... in love.

#290 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

I'm glad I could add to the fun, personally I'm digging the Thorn and Whitworth the most. I'd pilot either one but I must say his style makes them all look fantastic.

#291 SMDMadCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Those are feaking amazing looking.
That pair of crabs is definately something i would not want to catch in a back alley.

#292 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

View PostSMDMadCow, on 02 March 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

Those are feaking amazing looking.
That pair of crabs is definately something i would not want to catch in a back alley.

Must....resist...temptation....to.....make....crabs-in-back-alley-joke.

#293 SMDMadCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 02 March 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

Must....resist...temptation....to.....make....crabs-in-back-alley-joke.

Crude double entendre intended :)

#294 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

View Postmaxoconnor, on 02 March 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

I've been scouring the internet looking for more of FD's drawings and I must say, he makes every mech look fantastic, even as concept art.
Here are 5 new concepts that hopefully will show up in the game soon. :)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Holy ****.

Every one of those concepts is sexy.

#295 Aden

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

i just wanted to say that i wholeheartedly agree with the op. haven´t read all the thread - but i stated the exact content of the first post to a rl friend of mine some time ago.
"i´m just waiting for the rollerblades ..."
yes hands and melee combat may be part of the whole bt universe - but i think there was a good reason why they´re not overly used in mw 2, 3 and 4

best regards

Edited by Aden, 02 March 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#296 Sesambrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostSMDMadCow, on 02 March 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

Pffft, that SPYCRAB is the most frightening of them all anyway! :)

#297 Charlic Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostZwergonfire, on 27 January 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

(Said in old man voice) You dang kids with yer hair cuts and rocks and roll music! Back in my day our 'mechs were made outta garbage cans and we liked it 'cause that's the way it was!

Seriously, Mr. Old-man guy, battletech's roots are in anime and Centurions had mohawks on their helmets.

Love, the 21st (31st :)) century.

P.s. Acceptable 'mechs? Lol

it actually seems like its these fool young ones who don't know bout hands. i mean, any one who really knows battletech knows about all the **** pit smashing and face-axing that happens.

#298 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

Posted Image

kill it with fire <.<

Edited by Bluey, 02 March 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#299 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

View PostAden, on 02 March 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

i just wanted to say that i wholeheartedly agree with the op. haven´t read all the thread - but i stated the exact content of the first post to a rl friend of mine some time ago.
"i´m just waiting for the rollerblades ..."
yes hands and melee combat may be part of the whole bt universe - but i think there was a good reason why they´re not overly used in mw 2, 3 and 4

best regards

Yeah there were good reasons.

1. Lack of sufficient technology when the games were created.
2. Mechwarrior 2 (And 3, to an extent) focused on the Clans. They eschew melee combat.

I'd really love people to learn that just because they don't like something, that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. There are tons of other giant robot games without melee. If it bothers you that much, perhaps you should go play those.

#300 Brooding Phobos

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 27 January 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

I love some of the arguments on this board. You've got people who have been playing table top for twenty plus years and then went into the computer games, while at the same time still enjoying their table top play. You have people who came to Battletech and Mechwarrior through the early video games, and then some people who did the same thing with the later versions of the video games. It is as if we have a room full of people aged eighteen to eighty, and they all want to watch something different on the T.V. This must be what prison is like.

I couldn't have agreed more. I have a friend who will only play with second edition BT with only his painted "unseen" minis. I swear he will throw a fit if he comes over to play and I have clan mechs on the playing surface.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users