The politcal storm continues

466 replies to this topic

#101 McScwizzy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

View PostPhelan KellWard, on 15 August 2012 - 06:51 AM, said:

Is America a democracy or Republic? Also does anyone really know the difference between the two?

America is a REPUBLIC. With a republic you have rights and a constitution that the government cannot impose on and has to abide by. Democracy involes the government making rules for the greater good of the public. Majority rules. Too bad not even most of our jackass politicians know the difference anymore.

EDIT: This URL will explain it better more than I could. http://wiki.answers....and_a_democracy

Edited by McScwizzy, 15 August 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#102 Phelan KellWard

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationFranklin, VA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

Thank you very much McSwizzy... But you and I are two of the few that actually understand that I guess.

#103 McScwizzy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

View PostPhelan KellWard, on 15 August 2012 - 07:03 AM, said:

Thank you very much McSwizzy... But you and I are two of the few that actually understand that I guess.

Just goes to show the ignorance of the American public and our wonderful public school system.

#104 SakuranoSenshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

It's not actually as clear cut as that anyway, I'm afraid.

For example, actually, a democracy is where all the old male, citizens get to vote but the young, the slaves and the women don't. Oh you mean the way it has changed meaning? Then the UK, France, Germany, USA, Canada et al. are democracies.

#105 McScwizzy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

View PostSakuranoSenshi, on 15 August 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

It's not actually as clear cut as that anyway, I'm afraid.

For example, actually, a democracy is where all the old male, citizens get to vote but the young, the slaves and the women don't. Oh you mean the way it has changed meaning? Then the UK, France, Germany, USA, Canada et al. are democracies.

All I know is America was founded as a Republic not a democracy. I do not know about the govnerments in the UK and will not comment on them as that is something I do not know much of. I always thought they were democracies. In a republic, you have representatives representing the people (senators) and they let the rest of Congress know what the people want, and congress goes about the business from there. If democracy was in place the people would be the majority and would run the government as the majority rules, but at the same time the govnernment wants what is best for the majority so it leads to a tyranny. Endless cycle.

Edited by McScwizzy, 15 August 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#106 SakuranoSenshi

• 1,255 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

USA is as much a democracy as anywhere else. The terms are not mutually exclusive and it wasn't founded that way, really, either. It took years and a couple of failed different ideas to reach the current setup.

#107 McScwizzy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

View PostSakuranoSenshi, on 15 August 2012 - 07:15 AM, said:

USA is as much a democracy as anywhere else. The terms are not mutually exclusive and it wasn't founded that way, really, either. It took years and a couple of failed different ideas to reach the current setup.

Which is failing miserably.

There is a clear difference between a republic and democracy. A republic has unalienable rights given to the people by a constitution. Democracy does not.

Edited by McScwizzy, 15 August 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#108 Jmb

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

Fine, if you want off topic here comes how Obama did a major flop.
Operation Fast and Furious, at first I was like many assuming it was only one office of the ATF, however, considering the cover up both Holder and Obama are doing, it indicates it goes much higher.
Another little fun fact: 99 members of the Senate voted to ban such operations unless the firearms can be tracked at all times. Obama VETOED the bill in favor of his plan on recycling the M1 Carbine, a weapon that is around 70 years old. Yeah, that will stop the arming of the cartels. Just because he says Holder won't let it happen again doesn't mean the next president won't do something similar, he failed to look at the long term there. Add in Obama using his Executive Override and you get a cover up of other such gun running operations. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised.
And before someone says its Bush's fault, Operation Fast and Furious started in Mid 2009 going into 2010. The operation you may be thinking of may be Operation Wide Reciever in I believe 2007, which was similar but utilized all agencies that may be involved (FBI, CIA, ATF, etc) and was under cooperation with the Mexican government. Someone explain to me how one office of one agency thought they could do when all those agencies combined said it was next to impossible to track the firearms in the hands of the cartels?
Romney will probably fail as president, Obama has failed. Either way the options suck.

#109 McScwizzy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

View PostJmb, on 15 August 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

Operation Fast and Furious, at first I was like many assuming it was only one office of the ATF, however, considering the cover up both Holder and Obama are doing, it indicates it goes much higher.
Another little fun fact: 99 members of the Senate voted to ban such operations unless the firearms can be tracked at all times. Obama VETOED the bill in favor of his plan on recycling the M1 Carbine, a weapon that is around 70 years old. Yeah, that will stop the arming of the cartels. Just because he says Holder won't let it happen again doesn't mean the next president won't do something similar, he failed to look at the long term there. Add in Obama using his Executive Override and you get a cover up of other such gun running operations. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised.
And before someone says its Bush's fault, Operation Fast and Furious started in Mid 2009 going into 2010. The operation you may be thinking of may be Operation Wide Reciever in I believe 2007, which was similar but utilized all agencies that may be involved (FBI, CIA, ATF, etc) and was under cooperation with the Mexican government. Someone explain to me how one office of one agency thought they could do when all those agencies combined said it was next to impossible to track the firearms in the hands of the cartels?
Romney will probably fail as president, Obama has failed. Either way the options suck.

Lol yep. Obama sucks, Romney sucks, thats why I am writing Ron Paul in. Probably a wasted vote, but that is who I want. ;) It's like last election we had McCain...and Obama...not much choice.

Edited by McScwizzy, 15 August 2012 - 07:24 AM.

#110 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

View PostMcScwizzy, on 15 August 2012 - 07:19 AM, said:

Which is failing miserably.

There is a clear difference between a republic and democracy. A republic has unalienable rights given to the people by a constitution. Democracy does not.

A democracy and a constitution are not mutually exclusive. The United States is a constitutional republic and a representative democracy.

#111 McScwizzy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

View Postprocess, on 15 August 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

A democracy and a constitution are not mutually exclusive. The United States is a constitutional republic and a representative democracy.

Ah, yes, but it does not change the fact that it is in fact a republic. The basic form of the government is a republic. All I'm saying is when people say it is a democracy it really chaps my rear. When the core of the government is in fact a republic.

Edited by McScwizzy, 15 August 2012 - 07:28 AM.

#112 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

View PostMcScwizzy, on 15 August 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

All I know is America was founded as a Republic not a democracy. I do not know about the govnerments in the UK and will not comment on them as that is something I do not know about.

We weren't founded as a democracy, no, nor even a particularly democratic republic. In fact, our republic was quite aristocratic in nature. My understanding of it is that the founders were more or less scornful of the notion of democracy, and viewed as a sort of rule of the mob. So powers were relatively limited, although far less than under the Articles of Confederation, and few actually participated.

However, in the years since, voting rights have been expanded to virtually everyone, and government is, in practice, empowered to do all but a few explicitly disallowed things, with its role now more in the hands of popular opinion than anywhere else. Other nations seem to operate similarly (though perhaps without such a strong tinge of plutocracy as has taken hold these past years in the US).

The word democracy really fits more closely than anything these days, since we really are a government ruled by the demos

Really, though, I'm not sure of the significance of the semantics of it. We all know who does what here in government; we could call it chocolate ice cream and it wouldn't make a difference.

Edited by Catamount, 15 August 2012 - 07:31 AM.

#113 SakuranoSenshi

• 1,255 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

View PostMcScwizzy, on 15 August 2012 - 07:19 AM, said:

Nope, the only definite feature of a 'republic' in modern terms, is that there is a President. Sorry. It gets even better if you want to really get into what a republic, because that's nothing at all like what the USA has (nor France and many other republics). No offence but a little research here, rather than repeating Talk Radio buzz, would go a long way. Politically I probably don't disagree with you too much but these things are not the way you seem to think.

#114 Phelan KellWard

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationFranklin, VA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

You are very right Sakurano, But the thing is that we the people have the right to stand up to our government... It's just a matter of if we will do it.... Most people in America just accept the way things are, and see that their vote counts for something. So they just keep on with the democracy, never knowing that what is going on in the back room of government is really harming them. They really don't even know that they have the ability to over-through the government if it gets to far out of hand. Which is in the constitution.

It's more like Americans have just turned into sheep for the slaughter, rather then being the Shepard watching the flock from the wolves.

#115 SakuranoSenshi

• 1,255 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

I'm all for changing the way it is right now, I'm even quite serious about getting involved. However, I have a limitation at present; literally yesterday I finally was granted my permanent residency. For most political appointments and sadly, to be taken seriously by many, I would need to be a citizen and ideally have been one for a long time. We shall see.

#116 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:50 AM

View PostPhelan KellWard, on 15 August 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

You are very right Sakurano, But the thing is that we the people have the right to stand up to our government... It's just a matter of if we will do it.... Most people in America just accept the way things are, and see that their vote counts for something. So they just keep on with the democracy, never knowing that what is going on in the back room of government is really harming them. They really don't even know that they have the ability to over-through the government if it gets to far out of hand. Which is in the constitution.

It's more like Americans have just turned into sheep for the slaughter, rather then being the Shepard watching the flock from the wolves.

Of course, it doesn't help when our voter turnout is routinely around 50% of the eligible population. We do have the power to select who will represent us. That's the democracy part.

Also, do you know what shepards do to their flocks?

Edited by process, 15 August 2012 - 07:50 AM.

#117 MadChemist56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

He has pushed for foolish renewable energy (wind, solar, etc.) but has done nothing for realistic energy (molten salt thorium cycle nuclear plants...

I'm not an Obama supporter but I want to point out that there are some major problems with thorium cycle nuclear that need to be solved before it's "realistic." First off, most of the same problems that currently exist with the uranium cycle still exist for thorium only we know less about how to deal with the specific intricacies for thoriam than we do for uranium. Also, the biggest reason (if I remember this right) that we have not moved to thorium is that one of its decay products (can't remember which one at the moment) is MUCH nastier than those from the uranium cycle.

FYI, I was working in a research group that worked on studying things related to dealing with nuclear waste while I was in grad school so I'm not just blowing smoke to discredit you.

#118 Gingo

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

View PostDymitry, on 15 August 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

a government that is bombing over its own civilians to eliminate dissent,

I wouldnt be so sure about that.
I heard reports that the "revolution" in Syria is shooting civilians in military uniforms and then videotapes it to increase support. Even heard of US special forces being among the "revolutionairies".

The US has used this tactic often enough in the past to give these reports at least some credibility beyond Syrian propaganda. In fact, the goal of such undercover operations could be to discredit Syrian media.

#119 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

Congratulations on that, Sakurano

View PostJmb, on 15 August 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

I'm not sure I quote agree with the logic here. Judging the whole of a president's effects based on a couple of gun-related issues is just not a very sound way to go about politics. What about economics? What about energy? Environmental concerns?

Economically, it's hard to judge Obama. Positive job growth of note wasn't going to happen in the aftermatch of the 2008 collapse, and in the past two years, Congress has stonewalled any efforts to do much of anything. With that said, there are some studies that have shown he might have literally prevented the loss of millions of jobs (http://www.propublic...n-creating-jobs)

More importantly, though, I think looking at where jobs did well over his presidency is revealing. Of course, Obama has his supporters like to toss around charts like this one, but what's more revealing than just the average of the past several years is that job performance seemed to be best when we were actually following Obama's policies. During the periods of greatest stimulus spending, job increases were highest; they've since leveled out, yes, but note that that's as that spending slows down, and Congressional Republicans stagnate the government. Correlation isn't a guarantee of causation, true, but it's clear that when we were actually doing what Obama wanted, things were going okay, and on the whole, they could be doing worse. I just read an article about a month ago (that, naturally, is now buried in the interwebz forever) that said the US has been doing better on jobs than our European counterparts for the most part. So we've been doing better than many of our peers in a similar situation, or at least an unspecific article in some news source that I allegedly read claimed as much ;)

And of course, lest the inevitable cries of "runaway spending" erupt, despite the huge stimulus, Obama has actually presided over one of the smallest spending increases in recent history. I think achieving what we've seen without a huge increase in spending is a showing of, at worst, some level of competence on the part of the president.

His environmental policies haven't been the Second Coming, or anything, but they've been better than we've gotten from any Republican administration by a long shot, in a long time. This is the first administration in a long time (ever?) to take any tangible steps towards mitigating anthropogenic climate change, if not through big changes to carbon emissions. Instead, the focus has been on smaller groups of nations, specifically the Climate and Clean Air Coalition, which are targeting albedo-affecting black carbon and methane emissions, the biggest steps in the right direction we've taken in the US since, well, ever. Fuel economy for vehicles has also increased. He hasn't done anything groundbreaking, but existing protections have been maintained or strengthened, and so, it's been a competent showing.

In the related area of energy, solar and wind production have increased about half again (which is quite huge), investments have been made in actual research, something we haven't seen in a Republican president since...(ever?), from stimulus funds for Polywell fusion to creating ARPA-E. These have all been smaller steps than any sane person would like, but they've been the biggest steps we've taken in a decade. Again, I guess the word to describe the policies here might not be amazing, but competent certainly fits.

There's also foreign policy to consider, but I won't pretend to be in a position to comment intelligently there. I study ecology, not geopolitics.

I don't think Obama is the greatest thing since sliced-bread, far from it, but there are areas where he has put up a competent showing. That's about all anyone can ask of most presidents.

Edited by Catamount, 15 August 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#120 SakuranoSenshi

• 1,255 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

I have nothing of substance to add to the post about "Thorium Cycle Reactors" but I have to say I came across this too, though I was not part of a working group or anything like that, simply that when I was studying for my MChem this idea came up and he's dead right. There are a lot of issues for now, including the handling issues to do with two Uranium isotopes that would be produced in using the cycle.

45 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 45 guests, 0 anonymous users