Rail Gun!!!!

65 replies to this topic

#1 Elektrik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

I don't know if anyone's seen this or not, but I thought it mighty cool nonetheless!

http://www.foxnews.c...Tech+-+Mixed%29

#2 Alaskan Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationPalin Prime, Capital of the Alaskan Federation of Planets

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

I have been following this for a yew years now.

One thing to keep in mind, the new DDX Zumwalt class destroyer has a modular design with future upgrades in mind. Even down to the modular power system where a diesel engine genorator powers electronic motors for propulsion, but can shift that power away from propulsion and into "future combat systems currently non existent" I.E. Directed energy weapons and rail guns.

The navy is also developing a laser system that can kill incoming missiles, similar to the Phalanx system.

This is not science fiction, the navy WILL deploy these systems in the near future, probably in the operational life cycle of the Zumwalt Class.

And we could even see a return of the Battleship, if railguns become effective long range weapons and laser point defense systems nullify the effectiveness of missiles.

:)

Edited by Alaskan Viking, 30 January 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#3 Liam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationStuttgart

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

A perfect weapon concept for experimental tech in MWO !!!! :)

#4 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

Did you know, that the railgun uses just solid steel sabot rounds? One little pointed artillery shell looking thing a foot long and the diameter of a silver dollar can ram through several inches, if not feet, of steel armor plating. No explosives, no recoil, and you can home-make these bad boys. I'm sure not telling how, but you can shoot steel nails on your homemade contraption at over 100 miles per hour. I made one, and the hardest part is getting TIMING right. I had to computerize my invention so as to time it perfectly.

#5 Liam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationStuttgart

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostFACEman Peck, on 30 January 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

no recoil

I am not sure about this.

FACEman, thats cool. Have you measured velocity? How was the efficiency of your RG ?
I planed to built one this summer in our lab.

#6 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

A Rail Gun does in fact have a recoil but its do to the electromagnetic repulsion, but the recoil isan't so much straight back as its mostly out the sides as the electromagnets shoves the round out. ONE MORE THING!!... Ok its two. The muzal flash on a Rail Gun is do to the shear friction of the round and the air, kinda like the rea-entry capsul. Another thing is that when a Rail Gun fires it emits a EMP.

#7 GrimJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationPottery Barn, $120 richer than my fellow Founders

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

I did masters work in the building that Raytheon used to work out of in Los Angeles (only a few hundred feet from where Howard Hughes built the Spruce Goose). What was interesting is for years after the company had vacated they left up the art and models showing their work. Amazing stuff!

I guarantee, with the shift in DC coming later this year, this baby will be reality in only a few years.

Long live the battleship!

#8 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

@everyone, sorry, i was talking relative kick, i own .50 caliber barretts, and the homemade creation isnt even close to that kind of kick.

#9 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

I can only hope when its out of development they name it the "Long Tom" Naval Magnetic RailGun System.

If only... finger to chin, and dreamy clouds above my head....

#10 Alaskan Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostFACEman Peck, on 30 January 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

Did you know, that the railgun uses just solid steel sabot rounds? One little pointed artillery shell looking thing a foot long and the diameter of a silver dollar can ram through several inches, if not feet, of steel armor plating. No explosives, no recoil, and you can home-make these bad boys. I'm sure not telling how, but you can shoot steel nails on your homemade contraption at over 100 miles per hour. I made one, and the hardest part is getting TIMING right. I had to computerize my invention so as to time it perfectly.

Is that a rail gun, or a Guass rifle? Does your invetion use rails, or coils?

I have seen several people on youtube who made Gauss rilfes in their backyard, but have yet to see an actual homemade rail gun...

View PostFACEman Peck, on 30 January 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

@everyone, sorry, i was talking relative kick, i own .50 caliber barretts, and the homemade creation isnt even close to that kind of kick.

Well, yeah. You said your creation shoots a nail sized object at 100mph, vs ~ 2,000mph for a .50BMG rifle? Not to mention the larger mass. (how many grains are in a nail?LOL)

Edited by Alaskan Viking, 30 January 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#11 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

@Alaskan Viking: have you ever shot a real gun, let alone a FIFTY CALIBER? By the way, I use coils, wrapped up in different segments. I did this so as to make the timing more accurate. To what i said earlier, I'm not going to tell you the exact specs, because I don't want retards to read this and think that they can do it alone. I had help from a friend, he's really into science.

Oh yeah, backyard science isn't an exact science, I thought the people quoting me would have thought of that.

#12 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

From a laboratory scientist:

"Rail Guns and Gauss Rifles are two different projectile weapon systems that utilize electrical energy as the primary source of propulsion, however these two systems operate under exactly opposite propulsion mechanisms.

"Coilguns, or Gauss Rifles, named after the pioneering scientist Carl Friedrich Gauss, utilize a series of magnets to pull a magnetic projectile down the length of the weapon barrel and sling it out the muzzle at high velocity. They use magnetic attraction to propel magnetic projectiles such as carbon steel. The typical magnets of choice are solenoid electromagnets because each magnet in series along the length of the gun can be rapidly turned on and off as the projectile is accelerated down the barrel.

"Rail guns, named after the two opposing rail-like electrical armatures spanning the length of the barrel, utilize the physics of magnetic repulsion to push an electrically conductive, but non-magnetic projectile down the length of the barrel, typically using a single pulse of energy. Upon firing, the rail gun's capacitor banks discharge a strong, but carefully tuned electrical pulse into one of the rails, through the projectile, and then out through the other rail to ground. The surge of current passing through the projectile generates a local magnetic field that repels the non-magnetic projectile away from the breach of the gun, and the projectile continuously holds the circuit open and draws massive quantites of current until it finally passes beyond the rails and exits the gun's muzzle. Ammuitions used for rail guns are made from non-magnetic metals including aluminium because it is easily accelerated to hypervelocities and conducts electricity very well."

-Prosperity Park

(Edit: Oh, yeah, they both have recoil equal to the momentum of the projectile leaving the barrel ;-)

Edited by Prosperity Park, 30 January 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#13 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

Regardless of how cool the gun is, the fact you got this from Faux "News" douses my eagerness to read about it :D

Edited by Lord Trogus, 31 January 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#14 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

View PostLord Trogus, on 30 January 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

Regardless of how cool the gun is, the fact you got this from Faux "News" douses my eagerness to read about it :D

I see which side of the fence you stand on. But it doesnt mater really who you get the information from when it's about interesting tech like this as the info is basicly the same. Don't let political bias cloud your judgment when it comes to non political issues. Beside, its a freaking rail gun!! Who cares if it was from Fox.

ANY WAY. Back to the rail gun. I know in fact that they are designing a battleship class warship around the rail gun weapon system. It is said that it will have four large single barrel turrets powered by the ships nuclear reactor. Its range is classified but will be able to make surgicl strikes. I know this from my uncle who works at a plant that actually makes rail guns and test them.

Edited by Coralld, 31 January 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#15 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostCoralld, on 31 January 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Don't let political bias cloud your judgment when it comes to non political issues. Beside, its a freaking rail gun!! Who cares if it was from Fox.

And I see you don't quite understand. I am not biased, I just don't like "fair and balanced", "news" stations that yell at their guests to make their points.

On a more topic-relevant note, yes, it is a freaking railgun. I really hope battleships make an appearance here so we can see them in action!

Edited by Lord Trogus, 31 January 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#16 Elektrik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

View PostCoralld, on 31 January 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

I see which side of the fence you stand on. But it doesnt mater really who you get the information from when it's about interesting tech like this as the info is basicly the same. Don't let political bias cloud your judgment when it comes to non political issues. Beside, its a freaking rail gun!! Who cares if it was from Fox.

Thanks-I couldn't have said it better. Not entirely surprised *someone* was going to try to interject a comment that it came from Fox news :D

#17 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostLord Trogus, on 31 January 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

On a more topic-relevant note, yes, it is a freaking railgun. I really hope battleships make an appearance here so we can see them in action!

I can do you one better, I have seen a REAL Rail Gun before in person, and I have seen it fire. It... is... AWESOME!!
I use to work for the same compeny that my uncle was in, just different division all together.

#18 NotNewHere

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

In the spirit of iresponsibility and carnage...
A simple coil gun can be made by winding an extreemly thin (insulated) copper wire tightly around a lenght of iron pipe. When a large current is running through it, it will push any ferros metal out out one end.
I used thick coppe wire and a copper pipe and even though it had to many imperfections and errors to count, it still pushed a spoon out the end. I think thats an ok result for five mins work and the nearest materials i could find.

Notes:
. The larger the current the stronger the magnetic field. AKA the faster the projectile will move.
. The pipe does not have to be iron but it helps
. If your wire burns out switch to silver wire (This has a lower resistance an therefore will not burn out as easily)

#19 Alaskan Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostFACEman Peck, on 30 January 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

@Alaskan Viking: have you ever shot a real gun, let alone a FIFTY CALIBER?

Yes, I have. What kind of fifty caliber though? an old civil war muzile loader? or a .50BMG?

Now, have you ever shot a cannon into the ocean for a 4th of July celebration, let alone A BOWLING BALL MORTAR? lol

By the way, I use coils, wrapped up in different segments. I did this so as to make the timing more accurate. To what i said earlier, I'm not going to tell you the exact specs, because I don't want retards to read this and think that they can do it alone. I had help from a friend, he's really into science.

Thank you, the underlined part is all I needed to know and is all I asked for, I never asked for "exact specs", as the presence of timed coils is enough to know it is a Gauss rifle and not a rail gun.

And yes, lots of fools on the internet, not to mention lawyers looking for fools to represent, and politicians looking to save fools from themselves at the expensve of responsible individuals everywhere...so I don't blame you for not making a tutorial..

Oh yeah, backyard science isn't an exact science, I thought the people quoting me would have thought of that.

That's what makes it fun...

View PostLord Trogus, on 31 January 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

And I see you don't quite understand. I am not biased, I just don't like "fair and balanced", "news" stations that yell at their guests to make their points.

You mean like MSNBC and the Ed Show? lol

At least Bill O'Really will allow people with opposing views on his show. Ed, Maddow, et al just invite people that agree with them, or launch into angry monologues. God forbid anyone watching hear another point of view...

Edited by Alaskan Viking, 31 January 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#20 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostLord Trogus, on 30 January 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

bet MSNBC can't even spell "gun"

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 31 January 2012 - 04:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users