Rail Gun!!!!

65 replies to this topic

#21 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostAlaskan Viking, on 31 January 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

Yes, I have. What kind of fifty caliber though? an old civil war muzile loader? or a .50BMG?

.50 BMG, 750 gr Hornady, M107A1.

Edited by FACEman Peck, 31 January 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#22 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Funny how people point fingers at the other side as soon as someone mentions dislike for Fox. I'm not even Democratic, but whatever...

Staying objective, I would really love to see the railgun make an early appearance in the game... meaning non-mech combatants! I know the devs have said they aren't focusing on it right now. Nevertheless, other military vehicles have been an important part of the battlefield ever since the first BT games and novels.

Edited by Lord Trogus, 31 January 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#23 Sam Slade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

This is like a Death Star meet Doc Emmet Brown convention... where mad scientists come to hang out.

#24 joemomma

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

College sophomore here. For our freshman design project one group made a coil gun. Not military ready, but it shot marble sized ball bearings 5-10 feet. Pretty good for a bunch of freshmen and a month's work if you ask me. I've always wanted to build one of those but never got around to it.

Also, I'm in NROTC, we had an Admiral come in to give a talk about the Zumwalt Destroyer. I'm honestly not sure how much of what he said I'm allowed to tell people, but let's just say he was very optimistic about laser weapons and rail guns being mounted on surface warfare platforms in the relatively near future.

P.S. Hi guys, yay first post.

#25 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

View PostAlaskan Viking, on 30 January 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

I have been following this for a yew years now.

One thing to keep in mind, the new DDX Zumwalt class destroyer has a modular design with future upgrades in mind. Even down to the modular power system where a diesel engine genorator powers electronic motors for propulsion, but can shift that power away from propulsion and into "future combat systems currently non existent" I.E. Directed energy weapons and rail guns.

The navy is also developing a laser system that can kill incoming missiles, similar to the Phalanx system.

This is not science fiction, the navy WILL deploy these systems in the near future, probably in the operational life cycle of the Zumwalt Class.

And we could even see a return of the Battleship, if railguns become effective long range weapons and laser point defense systems nullify the effectiveness of missiles.

:D

Robot arsenal sub ;D Swim around, pop up, shoot, go down, swim around...

#26 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

When they do make the Rail Gun battleship, I vote we name it the USS Pea Shooter.

#27 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

The USS Sodom, railing America's enemies.

#28 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 01 February 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

I'm assuming here that you mean one of the cities mentioned in the Book of Genesis and not anything bordering on an overly graphic adult oriented reference?

#29 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

Of course! It's a massive Battleship, built to excess, with the sole purpose commiting great acts of sin and violence.

Also, coincidentally, if it gets nuked by hosilte forces and you're close by to watch it happen with your bare eyes, then you'll be turned to salt. Specifically, you'll get caught in the fireball and burnt to ashes, which are mostly calcium, potassium, magnesium, and sodium salts.

... hrm... something scientifically feasible in the Bible? Nah... or... is it?

Edited by Prosperity Park, 01 February 2012 - 10:15 AM.

#30 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 01 February 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

Well that blows my idea out of the water.

Edited by Coralld, 01 February 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#31 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

Railguns are actually simpler than coilguns because you don't have to time any firing sequences or even worry about turning it off after firing. A coilgun requires a timing system to activate and deactivate magnets at detailed intervals.

#32 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 01 February 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

Of course! It's a massive Battleship, built to excess, with the sole purpose commiting great acts of sin and violence.

Nice save!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the railgun sounds awfully similar to being a cross between a HAG and a PPC, with metal slugs being propelled electromagnetically. If this game sticks to the design of weapon categories (ballistic, missle, beam), where would one classify the weapon in question?

#33 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostLord Trogus, on 01 February 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Nice save!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the railgun sounds awfully similar to being a cross between a HAG and a PPC, with metal slugs being propelled electromagnetically. If this game sticks to the design of weapon categories (ballistic, missle, beam), where would one classify the weapon in question?

Probably the same as the Gauss Rifle as it to uses electromagnetisom to propel solid rounds. PPC, or Partical Projectile Cannon is different from a Gauss or Rail Gun. A PPC I guess would be kinda like a weaponized Hadron Colider as it takes a super charged partical and slams it into its target.

#34 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

I always associated the PPC with raw energy emitting from the particles, as shown from the "shock" you experience by being hit by one in MW3 and 4. I envision "a gauss rifle propelled like it's a PPC", but this is coming from a person who has seen nothing but video footage of a real one :P

Edited by Lord Trogus, 01 February 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#35 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Well all three, Gauss, Rail, and PPC both use electromagnetisom as a meen to propel their respective munitions.

From Sarna:
The Particle Projector Cannon (or PPC) is a unique energy weapon. PPCs fire a concentrated stream of protons or ions at a target, causing damage through both thermal and kinetic energy. As such, despite being an energy weapon, it produces recoil. The lethality of the weapon rivals that of a higher-caliber autocannon; just three shots from a PPC will vaporize two tons of standard military-grade armor. Targets hit by multiple, simultaneous PPCs can also suffer electrical side-effects, such as overloaded computer systems or targeting sensors. The ion beam also extends to much farther ranges than autocannon fire, though PPCs generate large amounts of waste heat.
PPCs are equipped with a Field Inhibitor to prevent feedback which could damage the firing unit's electronic systems. This inhibitor degrades the performance of the weapon at close ranges of less than 90 meters. Particularly daring warriors have been known to disengage the inhibitor and risk damage to their own machine when a target is at close range.

So its basicly a type of ION Cannon.

Edited by Coralld, 01 February 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#36 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

I think that the "PPC" works by passing a gas through an electron beam projecting the accelerated ions forward at extreme velocity, like a mini electrostatic canon that shoots bullets the size of atoms and atomic particles. I think it's similar to a common mass spectrometer used in laboratories across the world today... but WEAPONIZED!

#37 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

Thats a possibility Pros, I hadn't of thought of that. Don't today's high powered and militery grade Lasers use a similer setup?

#38 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

Lasers work by bouncing extremely high amounts of light back-and-forth in a tube until the waves all lineup with each other, and releasing a burst of highly-synchronized photons.

Electrostatic Mass Accelerators use a beam of high-energy electrons to pummel small atoms into ions, then shuttles those ions through a magnetic field that ultimately shoves them out at high speed.

#39 Elektrik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostLord Trogus, on 31 January 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

Funny how people point fingers at the other side as soon as someone mentions dislike for Fox. I'm not even Democratic, but whatever...

Staying objective, I would really love to see the railgun make an early appearance in the game... meaning non-mech combatants! I know the devs have said they aren't focusing on it right now. Nevertheless, other military vehicles have been an important part of the battlefield ever since the first BT games and novels.

Funnier still is that you brought the point up in the first place when the only mention of fox was in the url....

#40 Elektrik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostSam Slade, on 31 January 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

This is like a Death Star meet Doc Emmet Brown convention... where mad scientists come to hang out.

you should see the article I just read about the 'mind reading' machine. lol!

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users