Check your fire! Check your fire!!

105 replies to this topic

#1 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

Friendly [or unfriendly] fire… I am hopeful that Mechwarrior Online has it in effect from the get go.

It can be a pain sometimes if your server connection speed is not up to snuff and what you’re shooting at is not necessarily where your targeting crosshair is pointing. Such is life in the online world, but it adds to the realism of the simulation if a friendly Mech crosses your path just as you punch the firing stud on your AC/20 [shudder]. I remember playing Call of Duty with a buddy when he was blocking a doorway facing me and I had to mow him down. It was a split second decision, but three enemy players were directly behind him down a hallway, and he was unaware of them. We’re still friends, but it was good laughs at the time and we talk about it jokingly to this day. I am only hopeful that those same kinds of memories are in store for all of us in the near future!

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

supposedly Its about LOS and targeting computers. that will involve IFF transponders so hopefully your mech will know better than to allow your weapons to strike an ally. no one knows for sure at this point tho

#3 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

There was mentioned that during one of the Playtests Russ shot Matt C in the back. No mention was given wether it did damage or not.

#4 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

I hope to be able to scream this at one of my team mates some day. I also hope to have them listen to me :)

#5 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

View PostHayden, on 30 January 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

I hope to be able to scream this at one of my team mates some day. I also hope to have them listen to me :)

Yep, this definitely needs to be in the game, and it needs to do full damage.

#6 whiskey tango foxtrot

• Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

Targeting should tell you friend or foe.......but i hope this doesnt shut down your weapons

#7 Drell

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it would override the weapon firing ability because of the posibility of an enemy spoofing the iff right?

#8 Felbombling

• 2,972 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

IFF would probably designate friendly units like a transponder would for a large jet liner... send out a signal that can be picked up and identified. I don't think it should limit your ability to fire on the Mech, though... just let you know you have a friendly under your sights.

#9 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Friendly fire is a must i think
it stops absurd tactics as seen in battlefield bad company2
two medics would in into a room full of enemy and a engineer or two sits behind them shooting missiles at their mates who take no damage from the missiles, so they just medic train their way to the other side of the room

in a mech setting it would be like a scout on passive sensors sneaking up to the feet of a assault lance and having friendlys shoot Arrow IV's at their team mate, killing everything around and doing zero damage to the passive scout leaving him free to rinse and repeat

#10 Rufus Ingram

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 129 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre, Free Rasalhague Republic

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

Friendly fire is a must. Adds to the challenge.

#11 CPUuser123

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

Plus you can get rid of that really annoying guy on your team <----

#12 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

Friendly Fire is currently enabled in our builds. The verdict is still out. It's mostly a pain when a cluster of people get together, you need to lay off the AOE weapons and use lasers/direct fire.

#13 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

View PostHelmer, on 30 January 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

There was mentioned that during one of the Playtests Russ shot Matt C in the back. No mention was given wether it did damage or not.

or whether or not it was on purpose or an accident ! ;)

#14 metro

• 2,491 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

heh....I want to see what a full volley of SRM's do to a light! ;) but thats just my sick mind!

#15 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 02 March 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

Friendly Fire is currently enabled in our builds. The verdict is still out. It's mostly a pain when a cluster of people get together, you need to lay off the AOE weapons and use lasers/direct fire.

I think that's the point, keeps folks on their toes and makes them think before they shoot (hopefully). I do hope it stays in.

edit: typos

Edited by Hartsblade, 02 March 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#16 Ramrod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 205 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 02 March 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

It's good to head you're at least giving it a chance. I believe the inclusion of friendly fire, in the interest of avoiding such incidents, will encourage good team communication and cooperation, which is at the core of the proposed gameplay of MWO. I also believe it will intensify immersion and suspension of disbelief, if you manage to make players believe that every shot they make has consequences, for good or ill.

While I understand that the final decision has to be made to ensure fun gameplay, I do hope in this case, you don't choose to eliminate friendly fire to babysit the fanbase. We're big boys, we don't need our hands held. ;)

Edited by Ramrod, 02 March 2012 - 07:22 AM.

#17 Kael Tropheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 282 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

All for it. Drives me nuts in BF3 when a teammate throws or shoots a grenade and everybody storms in since only the thrower and enemy can be hurt or claymores go off and only the setter or enemy gets hit and not the three or four friendlies using the corner for cover.

I think it will benefit things, especially if Battlearmor gets implemented(as it should). So the friends have to make a choice to help their friend who has elementals all over them and risk hurting their buddy or standing back and hoping for the best.

#18 metro

• 2,491 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

View PostRamrod, on 02 March 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

I do hope in this case, you don't choose to eliminate friendly fire to babysit the fanbase. We're big boys, we don't need our hands held. ;)

Amen....if ya cant aim. Then stay in the saloon!

#19 JohnH

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

Yes, a game like this should have friendly fire enabled.

#20 Alan Grant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLooking for hidden caches, within the BT Novels™

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

We need friendly fire, because sometimes the enemy is too good, and to satisfy the mech rage building inside of you [which you can't vent on the uder skilled enemy] legging someone on your team just for the satisfaction is an important feature.

[Also handy if somehow a dev appears on your team, however unlikely it is. Just to say THANKYOU!!!! ;) ]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users