105 replies to this topic

#21 nano

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBeavercreek, OH

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

I'd be disappointed if my errant shot did not damage a teammate due to some artificial and arcadish construct. We are MechWarrriors. We can handle this.

Edited by nano, 02 March 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#22 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

There will never be "friendly fire" until we upload emotion-capable AI into our munitions.

Until then, fire is fire.

#23 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Like the old Batman series.

Wham! BOP! POW!!

burp.

Ill have another pint please. ;)

#24 EDMW CSN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

Bullets and lasers are blind. But the gunner isn't.
No hand holding please ;)

#25 Mezzanine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

Let's not forget the other thing that makes friendly fire fun for the whole family... ECM, ECCM, and all the other toys that come along with them!

#26 Ian MacLeary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationChiron Beta Prime

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 02 March 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

There will never be "friendly fire" until we upload emotion-capable AI into our munitions.

Until then, fire is fire.

"Hello, my name is Charles. I'll be your AC/20 round today. To whom am I being delivered?"

#27 GDL Rahsan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostIan MacLeary, on 02 March 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

"Hello, my name is Charles. I'll be your AC/20 round today. To whom am I being delivered?"

"To my ungrateful lance leader Bullseye, and if he asks tell him it was an accident I was aiming at the enemy's Hunchback!"

Back on topic, I full support friendly(( actually unfriendly)) fire it adds more realism and makes us focus on communications, since no light mech scout want to be on the recieving end of his friend's atlas alpha strike.

Edited by GDL Rahsan, 02 March 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#28 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 02 March 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

Friendly Fire is currently enabled in our builds. The verdict is still out. It's mostly a pain when a cluster of people get together, you need to lay off the AOE weapons and use lasers/direct fire.

Sorry... What is AOE weapons please. Thx

I am guessing "Area of Effect" ? like missiles.

Edited by Render, 02 March 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#29 Ian MacLeary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationChiron Beta Prime

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostRender, on 02 March 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

Sorry... What is AOE weapons please. Thx

Area-of-effects weapons, like artillery fire. Or missile packs, since they're only semi-guided in this universe. Fire an LRM-20 into a furball and you're likely to hit both friendlies and foes, assuming they're using collision-based physics. (The missile thing wasn't an issue in the TT game, since you only had one 'mech per 30m hex. In a videogame we're likely to be much closer than that at times.)

#30 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

Friendly Fire is currently enabled in our builds. The verdict is still out. It's mostly a pain when a cluster of people get together, you need to lay off the AOE weapons and use lasers/direct fire.

Leave it enabled Bryan, it adds to the skill of the game.
I'll go a step further and say if you hit your teammates its should cost you XP as well.

Edited by SilentWolff, 02 March 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#31 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

Ahhh... yes. That is an excellent reason why you really can't get rid of Friendly Fire.
Otherwise you could run right next to your target and unload all your missiles and get away with it... can't have that can we.

#32 Tuhalu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

Artillery in TT has splash damage that can hit anyone nearby. Similarly, swarm munitions redirect to the nearest target, friendly or foe. Swarm won't be available again until 3053, but I think it (and artillery) proves the point that friendly fire is an entirely intentional part of the battletech gaming experience!

If a friendly is point blank to your target, you are probably shooting at the wrong target.
If a friendly weaves across your line of fire, they are probably doing it wrong and deserve to get shot.

#33 Felbombling

• 2,972 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Great comments all around. I sure hope it is in the game, if only for the laugh fest that would result. Perhaps we'll have verbal warnings if we're about to fire on friendly Mechs?

Posted Image

I can't let you do that, StaggerCheck.

#34 Jehan

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

FF definitely has a great potential for grieving. However, I believe that the overall benefits outweight the drawbacks.

Sure, soon or later you will run into a mentally-retarded teamkiller, but friendly fire enables certain desirable strategies & tactics, and at the same time discourages many typical abuses from action games.

An efficient vote-kick system or some kind of penalty for repeteadly hitting/killing your teammates should be enough to take care of it.

#35 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

You mean it adds a layer of tactics? Sounds great!

If I knew that IFF shut off your weapons, I would immediatley go find a way to turn it off on my mech, then hack and find a way to present my unit as Friendly to the enemy and tear them to shreds as they blinked hopelessly. Y'know, if this was real.

View PostJehan, on 02 March 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

An efficient vote-kick system or some kind of penalty for repeteadly hitting/killing your teammates should be enough to take care of it.

Honestly I'd be more afraid of an griefing via vote kick than a team killer. Stupid people in groups can do way more damage than a lone gunman. :)

#36 Risky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, Florida.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

Mass amounts of in game trolling to happen. Can't wait for the people who cry about everything to show up on the forums after beta launch and talk about the guy who shot him in the back.

#37 Rigamortice

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCincinnati Ohio

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Yes I agree friendly fire should be in game. The targeting computers should be able to reconize friend from enemy, but you still can not control splash dmg nor the cases when mechs are too close and splash dmg effects both. Now to add to this IMO I hope they keep the ability to focus targeting areas on mechs, take out or off a arm, cripple a leg force a mech to fall and if a mech hits another mech the dmg from impact should be counted in as well.

Edited by Rigamortice, 02 March 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#38 Jehan

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostTechnoviking, on 02 March 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Honestly I'd be more afraid of an griefing via vote kick than a team killer. Stupid people in groups can do way more damage than a lone gunman. :mellow:

That's why I say 'efficient'... :)

We still don't know how multiplayer matches will be, but if they follow the "standard open server pattern" where the same players carry on in the map rotation till they leave and are replaced with new ones, a single teamkiller has the potential to bork many many matches, but you can only be kicked once. (And probably you wouldn't want to play with those people anyway).

If this still worries you too much you can add 'safety protocols' to the vote-kick, such as "no votation can start against a player untill he kills one teammate or does X amount of damage to its own team".

#39 William Wallace

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

I definantly think friendly fire should stay in the game. It adds not only to the tatics needed to do battle but keeps the game realistic which will improve the game play feel. It's also a great way to have spy's and traitors in different units which also adds to the realism of the game.

#40 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Personally, I think that's a plus. It forces you to think about positioning and also changes up the situation. You can't have your Atlas face to face with an enemy while you also have LRMs raining down at the same spot.

I personally think that positioning should always be important in games, and I think downplaying that leads to more stale gameplay.

Edited by Orzorn, 02 March 2012 - 12:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users