Need Pc Building help

51 replies to this topic

#41 Xarg Talasko

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Don't forget to take into account the horrific specification deadlock console gaming holds over pc gaming. Either cpu is fine, because, let's face it, the next generation of console is gonna lock us into 1 set of spec req's that either cpu discussed here will well and truly fly past until you start getting into stuff like eyefinity/surround, and that's only if the engine is cpu heavy (looking at you CE2 o_o) instead of gpu heavy.

#42 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostVincent Vascaul, on 03 February 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

Well Vulpe and Catamount, I consider both of you as the overseers of the Tech forum and its interesting to hear your points of view as I shared them at one point or another. However there is a lesson I learned a long time ago and I was reminded of just the other day. That is All Corps are evil :unsure: even FASA had their hands in some pretty unethical stuff that would surprise you. Do I like Intels business practices? no. Do I like AMD's Procs and GPU's? Hell yes! But I am still rocking a 2700k cause its what does what i need I haven't upgraded my 1090 Thuban cause I really see no reason to do so. The fact of the matter is this Apple is a Evil corporation that I genuinely dislike, while Microsoft is a Evil corporation I really like (I try not to use the word love for products as it rarely fits) You can't play in the business world on the scale that any of these companies do without getting your hands dirty its just the way it is. Does that mean your wrong for rooting for the AMD underdog? Of course not but if someone is posting for help on components they probably aren't involved enough with tech to care in the first place. Anywho as always I look forward to your thoughts and replies.

No company out there smells like roses (well, okay, maybe Interface under Ray Anderson, but OTHER than them/him... :blink:).

Most of these companies exploit Asian workers, do gross environmental damage (except when they can get PR piece for claiming to be environmentally conscious on camera), etc etc.

That said, Nvidia is the only company I know who shows their level of contempt for their customers, and the tech market. Intel I've got my complaints about, but like you say, all corps are evil, or perhaps we could say chaotic neutral? :o Nvidia is just the only one of the bunch that actively seeks the harm the people who buy their products, which is why I steer clear of them unless they really have a killer product.

View PostGremlich Johns, on 03 February 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

Hey, Apple's business model is to be applauded. People WILLINGLY fork over more money they need to to be snobbish about their purchases that work as good as products 1/3 their cost. That is so cool - relieving people of their surplus cash and having them thank Apple for it.

QFT

As I've said many times, I like Apple; I just hate Apple fans.

Apple occasionally really benefits technology (lets face it, they have done a great job advancing mobile OSes), but more importantly, they trick snobby people into forking over hundreds or thousands of dollars to get an Apple logo on their stuff. More power to them, I say! :unsure:

#43 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostXarg Talasko, on 03 February 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

Don't forget to take into account the horrific specification deadlock console gaming holds over pc gaming. Either cpu is fine, because, let's face it, the next generation of console is gonna lock us into 1 set of spec req's that either cpu discussed here will well and truly fly past until you start getting into stuff like eyefinity/surround, and that's only if the engine is cpu heavy (looking at you CE2 o_o) instead of gpu heavy.

Well CE2 isn't so much cpu heavy as it is only dual-threaded.
Anyhow. We may see a need for 8 thread CPUs with the next-gen xbox being rumored to be totting an AMD build 8 core CPU. *cough*roumorsofcourse*cough* other thing is if they decide to not go with two separate consoles and just stick to the ARM based Xbox Loop in 2014. lol

#44 Xarg Talasko

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

By CPU heavy I meant that as far as ipc and raw ghz go, it'll take anything you give it and just keep asking for more. From what I've read/seen, the majority of other games don't seem to be like that, pretty much why I singled CE2 out on that aspect. Great engine but boy is it hungry. Hopefully the next lineup of consoles isn't as poor as the last lot, so we might actually see some decent pc ports that don't have that old console smell the minute you open the packaging.

#45 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

View PostXarg Talasko, on 03 February 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

By CPU heavy I meant that as far as ipc and raw ghz go, it'll take anything you give it and just keep asking for more. From what I've read/seen, the majority of other games don't seem to be like that, pretty much why I singled CE2 out on that aspect. Great engine but boy is it hungry. Hopefully the next lineup of consoles isn't as poor as the last lot, so we might actually see some decent pc ports that don't have that old console smell the minute you open the packaging.

Here's for the hope AMD does get to put and 8 core processor into that new Xbox- if for no reason other than to force manufacturers to utilize more threads so we get better performance. as sony now has all the cell processor production facilities... I hope they at least put in a quad core... lol

#46 Xarg Talasko

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

I imagine one of the AMD cpu's will be used if for no other reason than for cost savings, either that or it'll be something odd like i3 or i5's. Only time will tell I guess. It could come down to something as simple as who gives the best deal for bulk sales.

#47 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:48 AM

View PostXarg Talasko, on 03 February 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

I imagine one of the AMD cpu's will be used if for no other reason than for cost savings, either that or it'll be something odd like i3 or i5's. Only time will tell I guess. It could come down to something as simple as who gives the best deal for bulk sales.

Problem with that is Intel and Microsoft for another Xbox = won't happen since Intel shipped so many failing Pentium 3s for the original Xbox. And AMD already has won for the GPU for the next-gen Xbox. Though Microsoft has already unveiled the Xbox Loop running ARM with kinect integrated for family titles to be released in 2014. And given IBM doesn't have anything at the moment to match the high end AMD or Intel offerings, and given the rumors out there, we may see the next Xbox running piledriver. /me hopes so.

#48 HeroicTofu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the Ford Galaxy

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

I will enjoy when the next generation of consoles forces games on the PC to be vastly overhauled. I'm sporting a Radeon 5670 at the moment (extreme budget! long story). But really... for the games that I've played recently and the max resolution my monitor supports(1280x1024) , I can pretty much run everything at near full settings. Though I might just be compelled to upgrade the vid card to be a little beefier for when MWO gets closer to retail. All depends on what kind of results i get when the inevitable Open Beta rolls around.

I am in a position these days to save up for, say, a Radeon 7970... But I need a real, honest to god excuse to do so!

#49 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostHeroicTofu, on 04 February 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

I will enjoy when the next generation of consoles forces games on the PC to be vastly overhauled. I'm sporting a Radeon 5670 at the moment (extreme budget! long story). But really... for the games that I've played recently and the max resolution my monitor supports(1280x1024) , I can pretty much run everything at near full settings. Though I might just be compelled to upgrade the vid card to be a little beefier for when MWO gets closer to retail. All depends on what kind of results i get when the inevitable Open Beta rolls around.

I am in a position these days to save up for, say, a Radeon 7970... But I need a real, honest to god excuse to do so!

You're going to be CPU bound on a faster card at that resolution; if you spring for a faster card, spend the $150 on a 1080p monitor too

#50 HeroicTofu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostCatamount, on 04 February 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

You're going to be CPU bound on a faster card at that resolution; if you spring for a faster card, spend the $150 on a 1080p monitor too

Yeah. I would upgrade my monitor for sure if and when I upgrade. If not go for an all out Eyefinity setup. But again, if MWO rolls around and I get what I, personally, deem acceptable performance, I'll forego upgrades until a later time.

#51 guardiandashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

tofu I would upgrade the monitor 1st (before you upgrade the rest of the hardware) you pretty much cannot go wrong picking a good quality monitor you like, if the monitor has multi input support, (like my newer monitor, a viewsonic 1080p 24" monitor, which has vga, dvi, and HDMI inputs so I can plug just about anything into it. ) the only thing you might look for thats "better than something like that, is a 3d capable monitor

#52 HeroicTofu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Yeah, I've been on and off looking at monitors for awhile now I just wish that DisplayPort would take a bigger hold of the market. I'm a fan of AMD's video cards and with their dependency on DisplayPort for Eyefinity, it narrows down the monitor selection a bit (and it becomes a bit more expensive as well).

I do realize there are things such as DVI-to-DisplayPort, HDMI-to-DisplayPort etc, however I'd eventually like to invest in some monitors that natively support the technology as well as being 3D Capable so that I could take advantage of AMD's recent foray into 3D technology. So far, no etcetc-to-DisplayPort adapters, either passive or active, support a 120hz Refresh Rate for the sake of pulling off 3D. Or if there is, I'm sure it's expensive enough to warrant just buying the correct monitor in the first place!

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users