20 replies to this topic

#1 Khan Warlock Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 392 posts
  • LocationThe Grey Wolves Den

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

HI All just looking for some advice on a new headset, id like it to have full ear coverage and be around the fifty to sixty British pounds mark.

The other question i hve is, is it worth going wireless ? i know its more money, but is the convience of not being conected by a wire worth the cost increase. is there a loss of sound quality ?

#2 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Well... been using a fairly inexpensive Plantronics set myself... ran about $39.00 so should be around the price range you're looking at...

cover's my ears nicely, large padded pieces... sound quality is good and no complaints from anyone on TS about my audio/voice...

As for wireless? Don't know from experience, but that WOULD be nice having the convienience of not tether'd to my desktop... lol... tho' the few wireless headsets I looked at the price was way higher than what I wanted to go at the time...

#3 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostZakius, on 14 August 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

HI All just looking for some advice on a new headset, id like it to have full ear coverage and be around the fifty to sixty British pounds mark.

The other question i hve is, is it worth going wireless ? i know its more money, but is the convience of not being conected by a wire worth the cost increase. is there a loss of sound quality ?

IMO, not worth it for wireless.
http://www.amazon.co...iews/B005QUQP7G
Corsair Vengenace 1500- about the best USB headset you can get for a reasonable price.

#4 Dymitry

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Wireless...bad! Too akin to noise etc. I personally have a razon megadolon (impulsive purchase), happy with it, but save yourself some money and check the headset Vulpes has recommended, I know I would.

#5 Joe3142

Slothstronaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

I have been using a Plantronics Gamecom 780 7.1 surround sound headset for the past few months, and am am very impressed with it for the price. I had never heard of the company before, so was weary, but took the risk, and was pleased I did! excellent build quality, sound, and mic quality. surround sound is great ;) and they dont cost much.

http://www.amazon.co...44983913&sr=8-1

Edited by Joe3142, 14 August 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#6 Esyntha

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostJoe3142, on 14 August 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

I have been using a Plantronics Gamecom 780 7.1 surround sound headset for the past few months, and am am very inpressed with it for the price. I had never heard of the company before, so was weary, but took the risk, and was pleased I did! excellent build quality, sound, and mic quality. surround sound is great ;) and they dont cost much.

http://www.amazon.co...44983913&sr=8-1

I echo these words, the plantronics Gamecom 780 7.1 Dolby surrond sound is amazing. I got my yesteder and it was a blast.

Amazon has it for sale at the moment. Install the software, make sure you go into you sound and select playback devices and go tot he gamecom and select 7.1 instead of 5.1, makes a huuuge difference.

After installing the software make you restart your computer or you won't beable to turn the sound up or down on the headset (which is behind your left ear which is oddly a good place.)

Personally suggest this one and if you want a good headset go for something that is sturdy, worth the money, and good soundquality. Its worth it to splurg on these kind of things.

#7 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

take it from someone with experience.. wireless is more expensive.. the sound quality is often aweful... and when the reciever decides to resync anybody unfortunate to be in a skype call with or on teamspeak/ventrilo with you gets to listen to an eardrum splitting buzz

#8 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Wireless is not good, especially when the batteries die in Teamspeak during a TWL match.... ;)

#9 Ranger207

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationI iz in ur matchez, killing ur battlemechz

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostEsyntha, on 14 August 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

I echo these words, the plantronics Gamecom 780 7.1 Dolby surrond sound is amazing. I got my yesteder and it was a blast.

Amazon has it for sale at the moment. Install the software, make sure you go into you sound and select playback devices and go tot he gamecom and select 7.1 instead of 5.1, makes a huuuge difference.

After installing the software make you restart your computer or you won't beable to turn the sound up or down on the headset (which is behind your left ear which is oddly a good place.)

Personally suggest this one and if you want a good headset go for something that is sturdy, worth the money, and good soundquality. Its worth it to splurg on these kind of things.

I got a GameCom 380, the cheaper, 3.5mm jack little brother of the 780, and it's great!

#10 ChargerIIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 490 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

Just got the Logitech H560. Good quality, but the digital USB thing means that windows doesn't swap from headset to speakers without visiting the control panel first. Not certain If I'm going to keep them

#11 Esyntha

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostChargerIIC, on 14 August 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

Just got the Logitech H560. Good quality, but the digital USB thing means that windows doesn't swap from headset to speakers without visiting the control panel first. Not certain If I'm going to keep them

Never thought about that but I don't have speakers.. I live in an apartment.

#12 Turbo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Logitech G35. Awesome performance in 7.1, comes with good software to tweak the eq and surround effects and levels. I purchased mine for around $90 USD, with the current exchange rate that should put these in your budget.

#13 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

if you dont mind neckbands... the logitech g330 is pretty comfortable costs less than 30 bucks and is full 7.1 sound

#14 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRussian Death Legion, Golden Lion lance lieutenant

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

I don't see the appeal of anything wireless for a desktop.

#15 Gaboon

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSaint Charles, Missouri

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

I have the wireless Logitech G930 7.1 channel 2.4 GHz 10 hour battery life and voice morpging. I love it it is surround sound in a head set. 129 us through tiger direct.

#16 Nazrat

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hi,
If you can wait around till about mid October or November, www.pdp.com will be releasing their new Afterglow wired and wireless headsets. They have a built in mic for chat and nice preset profiles to choose from that support gaming, music, movies. I saw them at E3 and they were really quite nice and sounded great. They go over the ear perfectly and the head band is virtually indestructible. Maybe even survive a mech stomping. :-)

Check them out at www.pdp.com I know that they are being released in Europe, but I don't know where.

Wireless are around $79.00 US dollars.
Wired I think are $59.00 US dollars.

#17 soulfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 320 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

I will agree that wireless will cost you more money so may not be worth it to you at the presant time. I dissagree that the sound is poor. Wireless head phone is not I can walk down to my mail box or pop over to neighbors and still hear averything but I can go into next room and hear fine. Like all things you get what you pay for . I bought a logitech one and have no problems with it. Rechargable batteries are built into the unit adn it recharges via usb cable. It will also work fine if you run it with cable connected if your batteries dead. Another nice option is I can hit a switch on it and it will run on blue tooth so I can switch it and talk on my phone if I so desire. Head phone connect through a small usb dongle to the computer. Your better off with a cable one for the price. I just wish to correct some thoughts on wireless ones,

#18 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Of the above options, the Vengeance 1500 would likely have better sound quality, not just because it's more expensive than many of them, but because in general, gaming headsets are crap, audiowise, and it's one of the few genuine exceptions. It's not amazing, but it's very competent, and is amazing considering the price and feature set.

I'm unimpressed with most of the Logitech headphone options (for what one person's opinion is worth there), and while I haven't tried all the suggested alternatives (the Plantronics one suggested, for instance), again, they mostly represent cheaper options.

#19 Khan Warlock Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 392 posts
  • LocationThe Grey Wolves Den

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:40 AM

http://www.roccat.or...OCCAT-Kave-5-1/ i Like the look of these and they are about the right price anyone know anything about them ?

#20 Dr Killinger

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:05 AM

Just get something comfortable, stereo, boom mic, reasonable price. I went the expensive audiophile/clip-on mic route, seriously regretting it right now.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users