The people's vote on Battle Armor

55 replies to this topic

Poll: The people's vote on Battle Armor (133 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Battle Armor should be part of the MWO experience?

1. Voted Yes. (50 votes [37.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.59%

2. No. (37 votes [27.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.82%

3. Too soon to say... (46 votes [34.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

BAs work just fine on MW:LL, should not be any reason why the same couldn't be done in MWO once the scalability is perfected

#22 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

Ideally I would love for a player to control an entire point of elementals...not just one BA. The player acts as the point commander and has 4 npc BAs follows him around that can also follow basic move/stay/attack orders. If player dies, he assumes control of one of the other 4 until they are all dead.

Edited by =Outlaw=, 01 February 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#23 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

View Post=Outlaw=, on 01 February 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

Ideally I would love for a player to control an entire point of elementals...not just one BA. The player acts as the point commander and has 4 npc BAs follows him around that can also follow basic move/stay/attack orders. If player dies, he assumes control of one of the other 4 until they are all dead.

Outlaw has a good idea here. I could see that as a workable solution, but hopping out of your Mech after ejecting and being in a suit of BA is pretty well off canon, so that is a non-starter. If they do have them in game, I think they should stick very close to the two missile salvos, though.

#24 Garuss Acine

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 02 February 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

Outlaw has a good idea here. I could see that as a workable solution, but hopping out of your Mech after ejecting and being in a suit of BA is pretty well off canon, so that is a non-starter. If they do have them in game, I think they should stick very close to the two missile salvos, though.

Completely agree with you, a SRM2 with a single reload is deadly enough without them giving it an extra reload. at least, as long as they let the elementals do swarm/anti leg attacks on mechs. I have to say it would be awesome to watch a squad of elementals jump onto an Awesome that had been pinning the rest of the star down, set charges in its legs, then bail off as they knock its legs out from under it.. or they go for a group attack on the cockpit, continuing till the pilot is dead or they get shookoff.

all this BA got me looking to my favorite varients, and looking at the dates made me a sad panda, I'd have towait six years for Gnomes, and then another two for Salamanders(these will be an laser boats worst nightmare, SRM1 Inferno and two flamers).

#25 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

Come into MW:LL as a BA, run with two-three others and watch the mechs run away...

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 02 February 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#26 Logan Solo Sinclair

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Periphery...

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

Just imagine a pitched battle with actual elementals. Ambushes, in yer face epicness right there.

An Atlas swatting at 'em with his fists 'cause the infernos overheated his weapon systems, as his colleagues in light support 'mechs(think Locust) attempt to repel the buggers in close quarters melee with .50 CALs, Sml Lsrs, and SRMs. But wait, whats this? Whats that you say mister Atlas? One of the tiny little one ton devils has climbed up onto your back? Oh don't mind him, he's just the chimney sweep... You say you can hear the sound of endo steel being sheered off coming directly above your cockpit? And you smell burning plasma? Your lancemates the few who are not similarly engaged are screeming over the comm for you to eject? But you are a 100 ton behemoth, and they are so tiny in comparison to you... Quineg? Quineg?

Posted Image

Edited by Logan Solo Sinclair, 06 February 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#27 jbone

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

A lesson learned from personal experience... Rules for dealign with swarming battle armor...

It's like being on fire..

Stop, Drop, and *Squish* Roll.

The only problem with that is Harjel is so hard to clean off.

Edited by jbone, 07 February 2012 - 12:26 AM.

#28 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:49 AM

Here is the thing about Battle Armor. YOU CANT PILOT A MECH WHILE WEARING IT. So if you get BA, you are in that BA. end of story. its what you drop in. its what you die in, its what you maybe sometimes on rare occasions get a kill in. You are better off in an URBANMECH, and if anybody knows me, knows that is a low blow coming from me.

#29 Lima Zulu

Russian Community Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:19 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 02 February 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Come into MW:LL as a BA, run with two-three others and watch the mechs run away...

Yeah really... Maybe 'cause BA's small laser has more DPS than mech's LARGE laser?! Also, MW:LL version of BA is much smaller than it should be - player in BA can easily use standart doors, while elemental is almost 3m height and ~1000 kg mass.
Look at elental BA nad man comparsion:
Posted Image
and then at Elementan and Heahy Mech Comparsion:
Posted ImagePosted Image
from MW4 - it's almost knee-height! And remember MW:LL, where BA is feet-height.

And don't forget those micro-toads can get into mech cockpit...

Edited by Lima Zulu, 07 February 2012 - 02:23 AM.

#30 Mautty the Bobcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:47 AM

Battle Armors would be a neat addition, when the correct time came for them to start appearing. Its too soon to say whether it would be ideal to allow players to run around in them though, or to let them become AI entities that help out players during battle. The Elementals at least were usually encountered in squads of 5, and I think handicapping a team by having multiple players take them, or stupidly increasing their power to make 1 person in an elemental viable just doesn't seem right to me.

I would put my vote in for AI battle armors.

Also, the Battle Armor size that you're seeing in the Mechbay of the Mektek's patched up MW4 is not the correct size. Their size in the mech bay is increased so you can see them, they're actually very small in the games, which is the way they should be. An elemental is a larger than average clan warrior specifically bred to be that way and make use of an Elemental suit.

Edited by Mautty the Bobcat, 07 February 2012 - 04:50 AM.

#31 Philipe von Rohrs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 31 January 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

Who says each B.A. unit has to represent a player?

Perhaps B.A. squads/platoons/companies/battalions - along with AeroSpace flights/squadrons/wings/regiments, infantry fire-teams/squads/platoons/companies/battalions, and vehicle lances/companies/battalions/regiments (and their respective Clan equivalents) - might (eventually?) be implemented as NPC support units to be summoned and directed by Commanders via the Battle Grid...?

I think this might be the best way to play it...

To not include Elementals in the game would not feel right, but to have 25 actual players in one star could prove trivky to co-ordinate from the commanders POV. And, although they are dangerous en masse, the individuals can be swatted with rekative ease.

Having them as NPCs would end up the best option IMO, the same with IS BAs later on.

Apologies for the numerous spelling mistakes, my phone sucks for tyoing...

#32 jbone

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

I think elementals will come later, the Clans are still a ways off. And I plan on having my football team ready when I get my first batchall.

The girl scouts and boy scouts are my reserves ;)

I just won't tell you about my q-ships that look like Mammoths.

Nothing says dead dropship like a trio of NL45's

Looks like it's time to change the transponders again and put a fresh coat of paint on.

#33 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

Actually, I've had a new thought about the BA-in-a-'Mech idea...

The infamous Bounty Hunter (a legacy character and pretty much BT's equivalent of a cross between Boba Fett and The Phantom) is never seen without his/her unique PA(L) (Power Armor - Light) suit.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

PA(L) suits range from 0 to 400 kg.

A PA(L) suit (80 kg for the chassis) with no additional movement equipment, max. armor (two points of standard armor at 50 kg per point), armored gloves (for maximum dexterity), and no built-in weapons (belts with holsters can be worn separately) masses on the order of 180 kg.

The same PA(L) suit with 2 points of basic stealth armor (at 55 kg per point), an additional extended life support system (25 kg), and an additional ECM suite for additional stealth (100 kg) - what I personally imagine to be something close to the Bounty Hunter's suit - comes in at something to the order of 315 kg.

So... after Battle Armor canonically becomes available to the IS at large (3051-3052), would/could players be granted the ability to acquire a streamlined PA(L) (with no other weapons than a small sidearm) that would fit inside a BattleMech cockpit, similar to what seems to be the case for the Bounty Hunter? :)

(Also, note that this would be in contrast to the light, medium, heavy, and assault "proper BA" units that I still think should be AI-only units to be summoned and directed by the Commanders, if implemented at all...)

#34 Logan Solo Sinclair

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

View Postjbone, on 07 February 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

I think elementals will come later, the Clans are still a ways off.

I thought it was stated that the current year in the game is 3049? Operation Revival commences in August of this year...

View PostOmigir, on 07 February 2012 - 01:49 AM, said:

Here is the thing about Battle Armor. YOU CANT PILOT A MECH WHILE WEARING IT. So if you get BA, you are in that BA. end of story. its what you drop in. its what you die in, its what you maybe sometimes on rare occasions get a kill in. You are better off in an URBANMECH, and if anybody knows me, knows that is a low blow coming from me.

I agree with all of this statement... BEERCANMECH joke included :)

View PostLima Zulu, on 07 February 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

Yeah really... Maybe 'cause BA's small laser has more DPS than mech's LARGE laser?! Also, MW:LL version of BA is much smaller than it should be - player in BA can easily use standart doors, while elemental is almost 3m height and ~1000 kg mass.

Also Agree... Lots of fun to be had, but it is not accurate nor to scale, making it one out of at least three things it needs to be if implemented in MWO...Imho.

View PostPhilipe von Rohrs, on 07 February 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

I think this might be the best way to play it...

To not include Elementals in the game would not feel right, but to have 25 actual players in one star could prove trivky to co-ordinate from the commanders POV. And, although they are dangerous en masse, the individuals can be swatted with rekative ease.

Having them as NPCs would end up the best option IMO, the same with IS BAs later on.

/\----V Both raise what is imo the fourth thing BA would need to have in MWO-Proper tactical in game use without being unbalanced.

View PostMautty the Bobcat, on 07 February 2012 - 04:47 AM, said:

Battle Armors would be a neat addition, when the correct time came for them to start appearing. Its too soon to say whether it would be ideal to allow players to run around in them though, or to let them become AI entities that help out players during battle. The Elementals at least were usually encountered in squads of 5, and I think handicapping a team by having multiple players take them, or stupidly increasing their power to make 1 person in an elemental viable just doesn't seem right to me.

Everyone likes Bounty hunters... Unless they are scum :(

View PostStrum Wealh, on 07 February 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 Anvil Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationShionoha SF Bay Area

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

After your mech goes down (and if you are still alive) you are now a pedestrian. Civilians, troops, and vehicles should be sorted out in AI to add a few stragglers, but at first environments will likely be as abandoned. Your duty will be to get back, since as a pilot you are a combat asset (hopefully). At first this process will likely be glossed over. Getting to safety requiring X time, plus any time to heal, and then your luck at getting a replacement mech, recovering yours, and/or being shipped off planet.

Battle armor, I'm in the wait and see camp.

#36 Outlaw Wolf

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 46 posts
  • LocationStatus: Classified

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

I think that the implementation of Battle Armor would require alot of new mechanics that the game isn't quite ready for. A Mechwarrior who is "killed" in combat should not just simply respawn as an Infantry in an armor suit.

Really, the only ways I can see a true integration is if they expand the types of matches or combat scenarios to include infantry and vehicle combat (no battlemechs involved for that particular game) or if they incorporate the ability for a Commander slot on one of the teams could choose to replace one slot for a battlemech and pilot for say an additional 4 players who can opt to play battle armor only.

#37 jbone

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

IMO, battle armor shouldn't even be really discussed at this point, when we start talking about the legacy of kerensky showing back up in force thats when we should start talking about BA... as for the bounty hunter... Ask me about franchise opprotunities.

#38 Logan Solo Sinclair

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

Agreed. Although I strongly want Elementals in, and BA in general to play a role, whether it be via AI or whatever, under no circumstance would I want to see an ejected pilot just randomly spawn into BA... However much gameplay sense it might seem to make, that would be terrible imo.

Edited by Logan Solo Sinclair, 07 February 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#39 Conjure

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

Personally i would love to run around in BA.Would be really disspointed to not have em. They definately add a different style of play for when a guy wants more change than a different mech class. I see people saying it will unbalance the game etc. I am sure there are plenty ways to keep it balanced and the devs would make sure of it. I mean its a squad of infantry with small lasers, machine guns, and SRM. and some cutting. Give mechs a bit of defence agaisnt it and have it take a long *** time to cut a mech up. Plus you would have BA on your side to help get the enemy off you. Your teams mechs could take them out. You could shake them off with jump jets and a drop. Litterally shake them off. Im sure others have many ideas.

I think that the potential of having a really fun and sought for mechanic like BA is to great to trivialize over game inbalance. Devoloping takes a lot of time, thought and creativity. I'm pretty sure the dev's and the forum could find a great way to implement player controled BA. I'll certainly keep this debate going and will put some serious thought into what can be acheived.

EDIT: I dont agree with respawning as a BA. Gotta start as one.

Edited by Conjure, 08 February 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#40 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

So basically MW:LL Online? I'm down, but when you die in a Mech you should not be able to "continue." In MW:LL you only continue on foot if you successfully bail out, or you are running around as BA on purpose rather than buying a Mech or vehicle.

Give me Partisan Tank or give me death:

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users