The people's vote on Battle Armor

55 replies to this topic

Poll: The people's vote on Battle Armor (133 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Battle Armor should be part of the MWO experience?

1. Voted Yes. (50 votes [37.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.59%

2. No. (37 votes [27.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.82%

3. Too soon to say... (46 votes [34.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

I'm more open to the idea of them being AI controlled if anything.

While some may like the idea of playing in BA, there are quite a few ponts to note. The first one is that BA is a hefty subject to get balanced, since those guys disappear after getting hit by anything bigger than a small laser, making for a not-so-great experience. If you intend it as amechanic to give people a chance of still participating in the match even after getting torn to pieces, the last thing they'd like to do is become target practice of the guy that shot them earlier, this applies vice-versa when after a massive 1v1 battle with victor barely standing on his feet then has to face the BA attack of his foe only to get killed for sure and spawn as a BA to repay him in kind... well, doesn' seem ideal. The second thing is that BA were designed as swarmers, you know, hold onto ledges and slowly disintegrate kockpits/armor. The thing is, if you wnated to get rid of them, you had to use your hands and such, but something like that doesn't work in MW games. This is heavily apparent in MW:LL, where a good BA can get on your "roof" and the only thing left for you to do is to get out and face him or wait until he slowly rips your mech apart... which is again impossible, since the BA cna't pilot mechs and while in MW:LL, he'd just hop in your place, or have a match with you hand-to-hand, you don' have the same option here and you'd be stuck playing as a BA for teh rest of the match.

#42 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostLogan Solo Sinclair, on 06 February 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

.50 CALs,

A .50 caliber gun in Battle Tech is this gun, it even specifically states it is .50 or 12.7mm: http://www.sarna.net...n_(Battle_Armor) Held by a man/woman.

In Battle Tech, an "MG" on a Mech shoots 20 or 30mm shells and weighs half a ton, hence why it is mounted on vehicles or Mechs, capable of shredding armor, and tearing infantry into chunks of nothing.

#43 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

I would LOVE to see a gamemode with elemntals and battlearmour and mechs on the field.

#44 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostCommraid, on 31 January 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

1: If you die you can still help your team from a suit of battle armor. This could offer some consolation to those who have been unlucky to die in the first few minutes.

I'd like to see BA, but not in this way. Sounds a lot like MechAssault which is a pretty serious departure from how things work in BT. You don't wear BA in a Mech cockpit. Only the Bounty Hunter was recently described as having a custom cockpit to fit his Nighthawk suit. That isn't actual BA and that's an extremely specialized case. If BA was implemented in MWO, you should command a point/squad instead of a Mech. BA units move and fire as one, so the remainder of your point/squad can be AI drones, firing on (or swarming) the same target as you. Perhaps instead of spectating upon your demise you could jump into the next suit in your point/squad. You should not be allowed to customize any of the BA, only choose between canon variants.

#45 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

MW:LL showed the pluses and minuses of BAs.

I was never a fan of ''I ejected from my Mech and now I'm magically in Battle Armor doing as much damage as a whole Point of BAs in canon''.

Pilots aren't BAs. BAs aren't Pilots.

#46 Zarlaren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationRoseburg

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

I voted yes but right now the mechs are in paper armor and cardboard frame and die kinda fast if we bring em in do we get to have mechs alittle tougher I mean I can go in a drop and kill a enemy mech within a 3-4 hits. Is it really needed when all it takes is a couple to a few gauss rifle rounds to down a mech? Not to mention LRM spamming.

Edited by Zarla, 12 August 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#47 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:23 AM

View PostAppogee, on 12 August 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

Pilots aren't BAs. BAs aren't Pilots.

or we boost the time line towards 3080... than you have PAL (light battle armors) that are pilots and that eject fully armed with Fire Drake Support Needler and AI mount from there Mechs

#48 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:34 AM

If you can be IS and Clan at the same time, you can be Mechwarrior and Elemental at the same time.

The implementation could actually be very easy:
A Mini-Mech (half the size of a Spider) with
- 32 kph, 3 JJs, 10 points of Armour and armed with a LL&MG.
- Weapon-option "Leg-Attack", with a very short range:
When used on a friendly Mech, you just climb up/down on him.
When used on an enemy Mech, you climb up on him, do 10 damage to a leg over the course of 5 seconds and then automatically climb down. (So the Mech can get rid of them without having to kick.)

"Swarm Mech" would be too tricky to implement, with Elementals being brushed off, hit at, and getting in the way when the Mech is shot at.

#49 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

I would love to play in Battle Armor, but honestly I think the only way to really do it and be able to have any kind of balance or not needing to overhaul the core game engine (or replace it) to allow Mechs to swat at BA crawling on them (or have a friendly try to pew pew them off you, a difficult task in the best of circumstances) would to have BA only maps.

View PostDI3T3R, on 14 August 2013 - 03:34 AM, said:

If you can be IS and Clan at the same time, you can be Mechwarrior and Elemental at the same time.

The implementation could actually be very easy:
A Mini-Mech (half the size of a Spider) with
- 32 kph, 3 JJs, 10 points of Armour and armed with a LL&MG.
- Weapon-option "Leg-Attack", with a very short range:
When used on a friendly Mech, you just climb up/down on him.
When used on an enemy Mech, you climb up on him, do 10 damage to a leg over the course of 5 seconds and then automatically climb down. (So the Mech can get rid of them without having to kick.)

"Swarm Mech" would be too tricky to implement, with Elementals being brushed off, hit at, and getting in the way when the Mech is shot at.

I really hope you meant SL as the Toad carried a single shot SRM2, MG on the left arm and a SL on the right arm.

#50 Lord of All

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 581 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBottom Of a Bottle

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

All good things come to those who wait.

#51 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

View Post0Life, on 14 August 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

I really hope you meant SL as the Toad carried a single shot SRM2, MG on the left arm and a SL on the right arm.

Damn, I messed up. It's LL in german. I meant the Small Laser.
And I'm not sure about the one-shot SRM2. They are nice to have, but won't make a difference unless a whole Elemental-Star fires a salvo.

Crawling BAs is a huge problem, that's why I suggested to keep it at a modified Leg-Attack where they automatically disengage afterwards, so a Mech can run away.
1. The Elemental jumps close to an enemy Mech.
2. Fires his weapon "Leg-Attack". Enemy takes damage on the leg facing the Elemental.
3. Elemental jumps backwards on autopilot.
4. If the Mech is fast enough, he can outrun the Elementals, otherwise go back to step 1.

We don't need BA-only maps. Any map with lots of buildings and trees will do.

Forgot to mention: As Elementals are so small, you can't lock on them.

#52 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

If you'd like to 'test' what battle armor would be like, jump in any commando and move at about 15 kph. They'd be THAT effective.

#53 Syllogy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

Let me paint a scene: 12 Mechs averaging 50 tons vs. 12 Battle Armors averaging 1 ton.

Who wins in a deathmatch?

#54 Dark Shaman of Clan Ghost Bear

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 22 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

Five Elementals would be a worthy Consumable. Pick an enemy Mech, target and deploy your ready-to-rock Elemental unit. An A.I. controlled homing missile-type squad of Mech chasing monsters that circle and hound your bunkered enemy while you close in for the kill. As a Clawed Warrior, I approve the idea of Clan Elementals. Seyla.

#55 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:23 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 14 August 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

If you'd like to 'test' what battle armor would be like, jump in any commando and move at about 15 kph. They'd be THAT effective.

Half the size of a Commando. AND they wouldn't show up on the radar and can't be locked on. Try to spot those sneaky Surats coming for you when they are underwater or obscured by trees or right on the other side of the building.

#56 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:28 AM

I'd like to see the Elementals as they are iconic Clan, BUT nothing else. 99.9% of everything else, including subsequent clan models are ****.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users