How long do you think it'll take for the Clan Invasion to be introduced?

46 replies to this topic

#41 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostFaeron Wolf, on 15 August 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

I for one am a huge fan of the Clans, and I understand that upon launch this game will be just before the Clan Invasion. While I understand nothing further has been released.

What do you think?

From Bryan Ekman, Creative Director and Co-Founder of Piranha Games:

Since Clans are Factions, and not player run (at launch), this would fall under the Faction Unit rules.

Players can earn the privilege to be a member by earning loyalty points and performing certain feats/actions.
Originally posted here at 3:27pm on May 03, 2012

From Russ Bullock, President and Co-Founder of Piranha Games:

I think we would need to be brain dead to not want to sell Mad Cats to players. We have design and balance issues to figure out but we will get it sorted so players can play as the clans.
Originally posted here at 10:11pm on July 30, 2012

So, we do know that PGI plans to eventually have the Clans be playable in MWO, and that (once the Community Warfare aspects of the game are fully implemented) each available Clan would be organized as a Faction (that is, run in roughly the same manner as the IS Houses' militaries).

We also know, from the recent interview with Russ Bullock, that PGI is apparently highly interested in developing PVE content, and is also apparently interested in exploring the introduction of combined arms elements:

G: On that train of thought, since there definitely is a segment of players that prefer cooperative multiplayer to competitive, have you ever considered introducing PvE missions in the future, with players prompted to team up and fight against AI-controlled opposing forces? Maybe as part of an actual storyline?

R: I think the answer is similar to this question as the last. Having said that, I think this could possibly be a first step in bridging towards a more full traditional single player experience. It’s safe to say that the PvE question is one of the most popular and it is probably one of the very first things we will explore once our core game is complete and we go Open Beta.

-----

G: I know it’s very early to even think about it, but have you ever thought about including elements from other tabletop games of the Battletech/MechWarrior franchise? I’m thinking about AeroTech, BattleSpace, BattleTroops and the others.

R: Never say never, but for us MechWarrior Online has always been about the Battlemech and we want players to feel like the most elite warriors in the universe. Under that philosophy, those other combat arms have more of a chance of showing up in MWO as AI controlled entities then player controlled.

According to the BT/MW canon, the Clans attack and establish staging areas in the Periphery in August of 3049 (corresponding to August of 2012 - this month, with the in-universe character Phelan Kell being captured some days ago).
However, the Clan Invasion - called "Operation Revival" by the Clanners - doesn't reach the Inner Sphere proper until March of 3050 (corresponding to March of 2013).

Personally, what I would prefer to see (and, given the recent interview with Mr. Bullock and his statement that PVE content "it is probably one of the very first things we will explore once our core game is complete and we go Open Beta", a variation of which seems to stand a good chance of actually happening) is that the Clans hit the Inner Sphere as wholly AI-controlled entities (or Dev directed/controlled with AI assistance) to provide PVE content, and then are opened up to the players to join at some later (and "thematically-appropriate") time, specifically any of:
  • November of 3050 (corresponding to November of 2013 in reality): Tyra Miraborg (from the FRR) slays ilKhan (the supreme leader of the Clans' actions) Leo Showers (of Clan Smoke Jaguar) on October 31, 3050, prompting the Clans to halt their advance until November of 3051 (corresponding to November of 2014).
  • November of 3051 (corresponding to November of 2014 in reality): The Clans select a new ilKhan (Ulric Kerensky of Clan Wolf) and renew their assault on the Inner Sphere in November of 3051, while also adding the forces of Clan Steel Viper, Clan Nova Cat, and Clan Diamond Shark (later re-renamed to Clan Sea Fox) to assist Clan Jade Falcon, Clan Wolf, Clan Ghost Bear, and Clan Smoke Jaguar in the Invasion.
  • Late-May/June of 3052 (corresponding to June of 2015 in reality): The Battle of Tukayyid (a proxy battle fought for control of Terra between the Clans led by ilKhan Ulric Kerensky and ComStar's Com Guard led by Precentor Martial Anastasius Focht) is fought from May 01, 3052 through May 20, 3052, and results in ComStar's victory and the Clans being forbidden from advancing any further into the Inner Sphere.
If "sooner rather than later" is a must, I would personally like to see the Nov. 3050/2013 timeframe used for a potential "Clan Injection" option since:
  • It allows for several months of PVE action to complement the PVP action of the game.
  • It allows for several additional months for the Devs to tweak/evaluate/perfect the performance of Clan 'Mechs, weapons, and equipment (relative to IS 'Mechs, weapons, and equipment) prior to handing it over to players (thus fitting with and addressing Mr. Bullock's July 30 comment about having "design and balance issues to figure out").
  • The one-year break in the Invasion would allow Clan-oriented players time to join/establish/organize Clan units, learn the capabilities and limits of Clan tech, build up experience and XP for Clan characters, and so on.
  • The one-year break in the Invasion would allow IS-oriented players time to build up additional experience and XP before hordes of human-controlled Clanners are unleashed against us.

Your thoughts?

#42 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

Isn't the implementation of factions dependent on implementing Community Warfare; which in turn is at least 90 days after Open Beta?
As I think its unlikely they will release the Clans right at the start of the implementation of factions, I think we're looking at about 6 months or more.

#43 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

View PostQuantumButler, on 18 August 2012 - 01:43 AM, said:

I hope they're never introduced.

tough luck, we are coming.

#44 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 18 August 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

From Bryan Ekman, Creative Director and Co-Founder of Piranha Games:
Originally posted here at 3:27pm on May 03, 2012

From Russ Bullock, President and Co-Founder of Piranha Games:
Originally posted here at 10:11pm on July 30, 2012

So, we do know that PGI plans to eventually have the Clans be playable in MWO, and that (once the Community Warfare aspects of the game are fully implemented) each available Clan would be organized as a Faction (that is, run in roughly the same manner as the IS Houses' militaries).

We also know, from the recent interview with Russ Bullock, that PGI is apparently highly interested in developing PVE content, and is also apparently interested in exploring the introduction of combined arms elements:

According to the BT/MW canon, the Clans attack and establish staging areas in the Periphery in August of 3049 (corresponding to August of 2012 - this month, with the in-universe character Phelan Kell being captured some days ago).
However, the Clan Invasion - called "Operation Revival" by the Clanners - doesn't reach the Inner Sphere proper until March of 3050 (corresponding to March of 2013).

Personally, what I would prefer to see (and, given the recent interview with Mr. Bullock and his statement that PVE content "it is probably one of the very first things we will explore once our core game is complete and we go Open Beta", a variation of which seems to stand a good chance of actually happening) is that the Clans hit the Inner Sphere as wholly AI-controlled entities (or Dev directed/controlled with AI assistance) to provide PVE content, and then are opened up to the players to join at some later (and "thematically-appropriate") time, specifically any of:
  • November of 3050 (corresponding to November of 2013 in reality): Tyra Miraborg (from the FRR) slays ilKhan (the supreme leader of the Clans' actions) Leo Showers (of Clan Smoke Jaguar) on October 31, 3050, prompting the Clans to halt their advance until November of 3051 (corresponding to November of 2014).
  • November of 3051 (corresponding to November of 2014 in reality): The Clans select a new ilKhan (Ulric Kerensky of Clan Wolf) and renew their assault on the Inner Sphere in November of 3051, while also adding the forces of Clan Steel Viper, Clan Nova Cat, and Clan Diamond Shark (later re-renamed to Clan Sea Fox) to assist Clan Jade Falcon, Clan Wolf, Clan Ghost Bear, and Clan Smoke Jaguar in the Invasion.
  • Late-May/June of 3052 (corresponding to June of 2015 in reality): The Battle of Tukayyid (a proxy battle fought for control of Terra between the Clans led by ilKhan Ulric Kerensky and ComStar's Com Guard led by Precentor Martial Anastasius Focht) is fought from May 01, 3052 through May 20, 3052, and results in ComStar's victory and the Clans being forbidden from advancing any further into the Inner Sphere.
If "sooner rather than later" is a must, I would personally like to see the Nov. 3050/2013 timeframe used for a potential "Clan Injection" option since:
  • It allows for several months of PVE action to complement the PVP action of the game.
  • It allows for several additional months for the Devs to tweak/evaluate/perfect the performance of Clan 'Mechs, weapons, and equipment (relative to IS 'Mechs, weapons, and equipment) prior to handing it over to players (thus fitting with and addressing Mr. Bullock's July 30 comment about having "design and balance issues to figure out").
  • The one-year break in the Invasion would allow Clan-oriented players time to join/establish/organize Clan units, learn the capabilities and limits of Clan tech, build up experience and XP for Clan characters, and so on.
  • The one-year break in the Invasion would allow IS-oriented players time to build up additional experience and XP before hordes of human-controlled Clanners are unleashed against us.
Your thoughts?

um 1 word: NO. Why? been too damned long since we had a chance to play clans, and since the invasion in full starts in March of 2013/3050, November is just too long to wait. Not because it has been 17 years so far, but because, if we <players who join the clans> are forced to wait that long, then, we will have an even bigger up hill climb than is reasonable, as players on the IS side, will have full mech xp trees, full pilot XP trees, and we clanners will not. This would be wildly unbalancing. I am all for a good fight, but, not when it means that pilots on the clan side have to go up a 90 degree slope just to catch up. April/May at the latest to keep things fair.

#45 cinco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

at the end of the day 3 ppc vs 4ppc isn't that big of a deal. it can be easily balanced through team/reinforcement number differences.

everyone crying about clans is just following the drone mentality and agreeing with what everyone else is saying.

#46 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

O.o Me, and I speak only for myself here: I want the clans because I dislike everything Innersphere. Mostly because my first taste was as Clan Wolf on Mechwarrior 2, but, also I like the style of the Clans, and well, the IS reminds me too much of the real world. Time for the Clans to make their grand entrance!

#47 Mordakai

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 128 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:10 AM

Hate Clanner Scum?
Join The FRR today and fight on the front lines of the invasion later!

This message brought to you by the Future, some assembly required.
The Future is not for everyone, consult your doctor before use.

Edited by Mordakai, 25 August 2012 - 04:13 AM.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users