Assault Role Name: Possible Confusion?

49 replies to this topic

Poll: Assault Role (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the name of the Assault Role be looked at for possible change?

1. Yes (28 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

2. No (29 votes [32.95%])

Percentage of vote: 32.95%

3. Don't Care (31 votes [35.23%])

Percentage of vote: 35.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

"sexual predator" gets my vote

Edited by =Outlaw=, 01 February 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#22 GargoyleKDR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBlaine, WA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

I can hear it now, "I'm an assault awesome Awesome assault."

#23 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

View PostGargoyleKDR, on 01 February 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

Or I pilot a Light Assault.. Or an Assault Light.

#24 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Ok now I am confused.. what is confusing about having a Roll named after a weight class? What is an assaults Primary roll!? D:<

#25 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostGargoyleKDR, on 01 February 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

Less confusing way to phrase that would be "Im an awesome assault assault awesome".

There we go

#26 Zanga

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationRefresher training camp on some backwoods planet

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

I voted "yes". However, I don't think it will be that big of a deal. But for me, I'd prefer the role to be called "Attacker" to match with the opposite role "Defender". This is just for consistencies' sake though. In the end. I'm sure we will all get used to it, no matter what it's called.

#27 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

Well, as a bit of an homage to Chromehounds, which used a similar Role Type (RT) system/concept:

MWO Scout Role -> CH Scouts
MWO Defense Role -> CH Defenders, CH Heavy Gunners (?)
MWO Assault Role -> CH Soldiers, CH Snipers, CH Heavy Gunners (?)
MWO Command Role -> CH Tactics Commanders

As far as the title of the Role: while "Assault" fine (most people should be able to differentiate the Assault Role from the Assault Weight Class), if an alternative should prove necessary, how about "Strike"/"Strikers"? B)

Edited by Strum Wealh, 01 February 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#28 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVan Zandt

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

There's no confusion from this player. I play assault mechs enough to know what mechs do best in what roles.

#29 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

There should be a 4th option, I don't know what this means. Because I sure don't.

#30 The Cheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Change it. Seasoned BT fans will know that there is a difference without much prompting, but we all know that not everyone who picks up this game will be a seasoned BT fan.

I can imagine people who are new to the game may have a problem with this.

Having the role and the mech class share a name, if you don't know better, might imply that if you're an Assault role player, you can only use Assault class mechs. Or that only Assault role players can use Assault class mechs.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by The Cheese, 01 February 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#31 Larry Headrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Locationoklahoma

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostZanga, on 01 February 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

I voted "yes". However, I don't think it will be that big of a deal. But for me, I'd prefer the role to be called "Attacker" to match with the opposite role "Defender". This is just for consistencies' sake though. In the end. I'm sure we will all get used to it, no matter what it's called.

^^This.^^

#32 CobraFive

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

Just because people are smart enough to be able to tell the difference, doesn't mean we should have to.

I mean people are smart enough to tell the difference between "Five" and "Nine", but when communications are critical (IE: airplanes, military) you say "Niner". See also: Phonetic Alphabet.

And while players will probably learn that "Assault" class players don't need "Assault" class mechs, it certainly could lead to many players being lead to believe, at first, that the mechs are locked to particular roles.

#33 Pvt Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Troll troll troll. Pointless thread.

#34 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

Two peanut mechs walk into a canyon, one was a salted.

#35 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

View Postcobrafive, on 01 February 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

Just because people are smart enough to be able to tell the difference, doesn't mean we should have to.

I mean people are smart enough to tell the difference between "Five" and "Nine", but when communications are critical (IE: airplanes, military) you say "Niner". See also: Phonetic Alphabet.

And while players will probably learn that "Assault" class players don't need "Assault" class mechs, it certainly could lead to many players being lead to believe, at first, that the mechs are locked to particular roles.

Nah. And the difference of five and nine has nothing at all to do with anything like this. that is a matter for radio interferance confusion, so people can hear things correctly...not a written set of guidelines and instructions.

whilst some people may well be stupid, lets not assume so. Lets be better than that.

View PostPvt Dancer, on 01 February 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

Troll troll troll. Pointless thread.

Irony award goes to Pvt Dancer, dancer for money.

#36 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

Actually, the "attack/defensive" theme is probably broken on a few different ideals.

Defensive Mechs

"Line Mechs" these are the ones that hold battle lines/formations together to stretch out the battlefield. These tend to be moderately to lightly armored with a focus on long range and support weapons. Their main defensive strategy is to use distance, terrain and long range fire support tactics.

"Rear Guard" mechs are still in the defensive family but generally are more armored and configured with medium range in mind and possibly fast to moderate run speed. Their primary role is to anchor lance formations' rear in retreat allowing their slower elements that are damage to get away while tying up attackers. Other wise they provide close support fire to "attackers".

Attack Mechs

"Flankers/Calvary" are mechs configured with speed and attack in mind, generally with less of a focus on armor. These mechs are there to chase down weak units or to sow confusion by attacking at different vectors than the main battle formation.

"Assault Mechs" are the TIP OF THE SPEAR. They are designed to soak up damage while charging a line or formation. Their role really is to attract attention and soak up damage while the rest of his team is dealing damage to break the line/formation. Typically they also act as the lance's initial target designator. Their survival is generally dependent on breaking through the line or formation causing enemy mechs to have to choose to turn their backs to bring them down or not. This action causes the break down of focused fire which increase their survivability, since they can't hope to use evasive maneuvers.

----

The problem with MW games is that most people play the "Line Mech" in a Support role using 90+ Ton mechs. This is what causes games to bog down into trench line warfare since the fast light flankers can't hope to bring them down.

#37 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

Seems to me, Being an Ex-Marine:There are hundreds of different Assaults Roles, and only a few C&C Roles.

And Marauding & Raiding roles, are completely different from Front Line assaults.

Mass Assaults, or Sieges both take Different Arms tactics.

Yada yada yada....

So to go off, and state what is what...is all speculation for now.

I would love to see the game work into these features in the future, but for now, I just want some Pixel Carnage

Edited by Opus, 02 February 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#38 MeDammit

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWestern Wisconsin

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

Assault is an action that has many roles. Capture, suppress, reinforce, destroy, etc. Assault mechs are best suited to most of these roles, hence their categorization as assaults. Never have I built an assault force out of exclusively assault mechs. there are always roles that they cant do that a medium or heavy can because of speed or mobility that isn't available to assaults. I think the role name should stand lest we get too specialized. The scout role isnt called light.

Anyone who thinks an assault mech is the only one who can assault something might want to inform the guys in the warhammer or hunchback. I don't think they would agree.

Edited by MeDammit, 02 February 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#39 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

There is no such thing an assault medium mech , but there wil be an medium assault mech... or is it the other way around? Either way you know what I mean................................................................................

Edited by =Outlaw=, 02 February 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#40 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

Any mech can assault. Period. If it has 2 or somethings 4 legs with armor and a bunch of guns, you can attack something. It is just that some guys do it easier.

30 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users