• 1,824 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Posted Image

1st Blackburn's Raiders

"Jolly Rogers"

Col. Jack Gallows C/O

Lt. Col. Azantia Sandoval X/O

http://www.blackburn...ders.enjin.com/

Welcome Mechwarriors of House Davion! It is my honor to introduce my new Davion affiliated mercenary unit, the Jolly Rogers! This unit is aimed at excelling at team based play, and having a good time with our fellow Davion loyalists!

****Recruitment is currently invite only****

Quality over Quantity, integrity, fidelity, dedication and intensity define the "Jolly Rogers", can you handle it?
A steady hand, a sharp mind, a heart of ice and loyalty to your fellow warriors wins wars.
If you meet any of the criteria above, you might have what it takes to wear the black and gold stripes of the Jolly Rogers.
Take the first steps to earn your Skull and Bones today.

Posted Image

Centurion art courtesy of Hayden

Edited by Jack Gallows, 22 July 2015 - 05:14 AM.

#2 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Thanks, Hayden! We ALL really appreciate the 'Raider' paint you made! I've got it one every mech that allows me to run it!

Edited by L zard, 25 January 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#3 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:06 AM

View PostL`zard, on 02 February 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

Interesting.....very interesting! I'll be back............

Looking for a 'defense' sort for your cmd lance?

We're going to need every type of player role to be effective, and I'd want people to play what makes them happy over trying to dictate what they do. Happy players are the ones that performs best, and if you aren't enjoying the game...then why would you play?

I want the unit to feel like a family, because we're going to be spending a goodly amount of time together in game. I want people to really love logging in and playing together like they do their real life friends, because stepping into a cockpit is only a fraction of a true game experience.

More then you asked for with a reply, but I felt like putting this down so people get a basic idea of what I'm going for :D

Edited by Jack Gallows, 03 February 2012 - 05:20 AM.

#4 CPTAmerica

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:27 AM

Well, I have not truely chosen my faction yet which is why I have the Merc symbol.

Now, you have in your title "Expeditionary Strike". Are you looking to develop a high mobility unit which can rapidly deploy to target areas or, is it just a name? I, myself, thrive on mobility warefare. Basicly, what is your vision for this regiment?

Ha ha. No more Merc symbol.

Edited by CPTAmerica, 03 February 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#5 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:40 AM

View PostCPTAmerica, on 03 February 2012 - 05:27 AM, said:

Well, I have not truely chosen my faction yet which is why I have the Merc symbol.

Now, you have in your title "Expeditionary Strike". Are you looking to develop a high mobility unit which can rapidly deploy to target areas or, is it just a name? I, myself, thrive on mobility warefare.

Kind of both. The concept behind the unit's reformation (as the Jolly's have a long and storied history with our real military, and I wanted to create a fun link back to ancient terra in Battletech,) is to create an RCT that doesn't sit in one place and guard a portion of the Federated Commonwealth. They get sent all around to commit to various dangerous missions and to go where they're needed, and a part of that is also being able to be highly mobile on the battlefield. Most RCT have air wings, and some artilery, but this RCT forgoes the artillery to cram in more aerospace so it can be more effective at quick fighting and response then long drawn out maneuvers.

While not going to tell people what to play, I think MW:O and the fluff unit are going to prefer faster 'mechs, usually heavy and lower with a few Assault 'mechs when they do need to perform defense, which they still employ fast lances to harass enemies so they're always off balanced on attacks.

It's going to be useful to have people who can make good use out of mobile 'mechs and strategies, clever use of jump jets or higher speeds can help either counter enemy scouts or help the main force do all sorts of fun tactics.

I rarely like sitting in a slow assault pounder, I like having faster 'mechs that can get around the battlefield while still having decent weaponry. Helps place pressure and firepower where it's needed quicker then having to wait for an assault to show up, and means that in a Commander role I'm harder for the enemy to pin down (making me easier to protect.)

Lot of this is speculation, until we actually get into game, of course.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 03 February 2012 - 06:04 AM.

#6 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:08 AM

Good!

I like meds and heavys, have an urge to do defense/sniper roles, tho the mech I'd want hasn't appeared yet.

Like the 'Jolly Roger' name......are you married to the '1st Fed Exp Strike Reg' bit? I haven't seen such a name in canon......?

#7 CPTAmerica

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:10 AM

Well, after reading your answer and some of your other posts, I kind of like where your head is at. I like how you are fighting for your command legitimacy with those trying to put together an oversight AFFS Chain of Command. You are definitely using your head in a way "true" commanders should be.

#8 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:30 AM

View PostL`zard, on 03 February 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

Good!

I like meds and heavys, have an urge to do defense/sniper roles, tho the mech I'd want hasn't appeared yet.

Like the 'Jolly Roger' name......are you married to the '1st Fed Exp Strike Reg' bit? I haven't seen such a name in canon......?

Not really married to it, but there's no unit in the Davion military that really does what the intended role of this regiment does. I'm open to suggestions or placement of the unit in a canon unit somewhere (even if we have to fudge a bit of info :D) but I'm good for it being it's own custom unit or having it be tied to a real one.

I'm pretty sure we'll see a 'mech that can handle a defense/sniper type of mindset, and the Centurion is almost suited for that though you'd have to be wary of the range on that AC. Though, if they happen to add a Griffin or Dervish in the med category, Tbolt, or something like an Orion in the heavy might work pretty good. I hope they add the Orion, want to use it as a command 'mech.

View PostCPTAmerica, on 03 February 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

Well, after reading your answer and some of your other posts, I kind of like where your head is at. I like how you are fighting for your command legitimacy with those trying to put together an oversight AFFS Chain of Command. You are definitely using your head in a way "true" commanders should be.

I'm not against a chain of command, but I'd like to actually get to know the people they'd suggest or at least see some posts from them before they just got "Oh, this guy from my last game is awesome, he can be X leader" and have the guy just show up and start leading without having actually said hi on the forums or something. I don't mind being supportive and letting people have chances, experience is always a benefit, but maybe a bit of face time before we just kind of take their word on it ;)

Also, Hayden's did the rest of the concept art in the unit colors as well (he's still doing the Catapult and Dragon atm,) if you guys want to see it. Can post here or you can go look at it halfway down page 37 in this thread http://mwomercs.com/...t/page__st__720

Edited by Jack Gallows, 03 February 2012 - 06:39 AM.

#9 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:41 AM

I assume that you'ld be into aquiring a dropship (if such is possible) to make the wayfaring easier/more convieniant? Pity they haven't mentioned jumpships yet. By now you've seen my age, and that I'm 'retired' should be no surprise to you. I plan on 'going to the market' whenever there's a need, if you get my drift.

Secondly, one imagines that the devs are creating a 'new timeline', and that where and how a formation functions are up to us. Sort of makes the subject of the regiments name a bit iffy, eh? It would be certainly more fun to make one's own regiment!

#10 CPTAmerica

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 03 February 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

Not really married to it, but there's no unit in the Davion military that really does what the intended role of this regiment does. I'm open to suggestions or placement of the unit in a canon unit somewhere (even if we have to fudge a bit of info :D) but I'm good for it being it's own custom unit or having it be tied to a real one.

Alright, I found a couple of canon units just in case you are interested that do seem to fit your style and RCT make up.

CHISHOLM’S RAIDERS
In 2892, Marshal John Chisholm retired from the AFFS after 40 years as one of the most irritating officers in the Davion military. Though Chisholm is a staunch believer in the natural superiority of the Federated Suns, he was one of those annoying people who criticize and complain too much. No one could really ignore him because the Marshals complaints were accurate enough often enough to be valuable. When Chisholm complained that the elite Brigade of Guards were "a collection of old women and weak little boys,"the AFFS, the Davion family, and the Brigade of Guards finally lost patience and forced Chisholm to accept an early retirement. Back on his homeworld of Colorado, Marshal Chisholm grew bored with his new life. To relieve his frustration, he assumed control of the Colorado Planetary Guards and began to whip the collection of senior citizens, reservists, and young boys and girls into a fighting force. Soon, the AFFS came to investigate reports of a mad Marshal forcing grey-haired ladies to hike 20 kilometers a day. What they found was a collection of ill-equipped men and women, led by a regiment of rickety Mechs. Seeing his chance, the Marshal challenged the AFFS to face his troops in a military exercise. The AFFS agreed, bringing in the Second RCT from the Brigade of Guards. The exercise, codenamed "Cowboys and Indians," proved to be enlightening for both sides. Marshal Chisholm did not get his hoped-for victory, but he did managed to outwit the vastly superior Davion Guards on several occasions. The speed and coordination of the Marshals troops took the AFFS completely by surprise. As a result, Marshal Chisholms troops were designated the First Chisholms Raiders and assigned better equipment. Since then, the Chisholm Raiders have always been a trusted, though unorthodox regiment. The units symbol is a black triangle representing an ancient Native American shield, behind which six arrows point in six directions

Second Chisholm’s Raiders: The Apaches
This Mech regiment was created in 3001 to act as a mobile
reserve for the Raiders RCT. It is composed of fast Mechs and
has twice the number of AeroSpace Fighters for support.

ARGYLE LANCERS
The Argyle Lancers were originally formed from a group of Star League Regulars who chose not to leave with Kerensky. Their small company of Mechs played a role in the defense of the Federated Suns during the First Succession War. Their actions were rewarded with titles and the right to recruit graduates from military academies to build up the Argyle Lancers to a full Mech regiment. Today, the regiment is led by a descendant of one of the original members of the Lancers. The symbol of the regiment is the white initial A against a square of black and red.

First Argyle Lancers: The Fast-and-Furious
The First Argyle Lancers trains for mobile battles and has
many swift Mechs and plenty of aerospace support.

Edited by CPTAmerica, 03 February 2012 - 06:51 AM.

#11 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

View PostL`zard, on 03 February 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

I assume that you'ld be into aquiring a dropship (if such is possible) to make the wayfaring easier/more convieniant? Pity they haven't mentioned jumpships yet. By now you've seen my age, and that I'm 'retired' should be no surprise to you. I plan on 'going to the market' whenever there's a need, if you get my drift.

Up for whatever the game itself lets us do. :D

View PostL`zard, on 03 February 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

Secondly, one imagines that the devs are creating a 'new timeline', and that where and how a formation functions are up to us. Sort of makes the subject of the regiments name a bit iffy, eh? It would be certainly more fun to make one's own regiment!

They're trying to fit us in the current timeline, IE the Clans will invade on a very specific date, the battle of tukkayid is going to happen on a specific date (how they handle that is still up in the air) so all of the major plot points of canon are going to happen in MW:O. Now, they've got to take some liberties here or there depending, cause some things may not really work like they would if we were really there, but that's their general idea. We can take over anything we want in game, less the devs need to ****** it for story reasons.

Function isn't really a big deal, and like I said not really married to the name (except the Jolly Rogers part, of course.) Put that there so we had an official sounded unit designation if we were a real unit under the AFFS.

#12 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:56 AM

View PostCPTAmerica, on 03 February 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

Alright, I found a couple of canon units just in case you are interested that do seem to fit your style and RCT make up.

CHISHOLM’S RAIDERS

ARGYLE LANCERS

Neither one of them are a bad selection, but it says the Argyle don't really have dropship/jumpships.

What we could do, what a friend did, was pick a unit (for example, Chisholm's Raiders) and fit ourselves in as a new battalion/regiment or something. Example is, there's only two Raiders RCTs, we could be the 3rd Chisholm Raider RCT "The Jolly Rogers."

Up to everyone, game isn't out for a bit and we can work together on this kind of stuff to really make it our own and have people feel like they're involved in the creation of the unit they're going to be playing in. :D

The only issues with picking a canon unit means we're an oddity for having our own unit colors that aren't the parent colors. Nothing saying we can't make a 100% new unit, unattached to any previous AFFS unit.

My personal preference is to just build our own unit from the ground up, decide it's own histories and not have it tethered to an existing one. We get our own name and designation, and it makes sense that we have our own colors and composition. Get to make our own canon ;)

Edited by Jack Gallows, 03 February 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#13 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:02 AM

Well, in spite of having collected a bunch of sig-banners for the 1st Argyle Lancers, I'd recomend trying for the 1st Federated Exp Srtike Reg.
Be more fun, and easier to craft in the 'Jolly Roger' name. Saw your next post, Jack, and yeah, that could be done.....

(The 1st Argyle's started with ships, but had them removed during the clan invasion.....hence my point concerning timelines! They'd certainly have ships if we could buy them!)

Edited by L`zard, 03 February 2012 - 07:05 AM.

#14 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:06 AM

View PostL`zard, on 03 February 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

Well, in spite of having collected a bunch of sig-banners for the 1st Argyle Lancers, I'd recomend trying for the 1st Federated Exp Srtike Reg.
Be more fun, and easier to craft in the 'Jolly Roger' name. Saw your next post, Jack, and yeah, that could be done.....

(The 1st Argyle's started with ships, but had them removed during the clan invasion.....hence my point concerning timelines!)

The last part is what makes it a bit easier if we just make our own. While we may want to pick a canon unit to kind of work towards in game until they add fan unit support (which they want to implement, so we can add our units officially to the game beyond it just being a guild name,) so we can stay cohesive.

Fluff wise, with how the timeline is going to change, it's probably best if it's our own...good example is the Chisholm being wiped out a few times in it's history, or being inactive at certain periods.

That said, can still change the name to something other then 1st Federated Expeditionary Strike Regiment if anyone has a better idea or something they feel fits.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 03 February 2012 - 07:07 AM.

#15 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

Roger your last. Go for it!

#16 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

Out of curiosity, what's your time zone? I'm one -8 (pacific)........I'm wondering re; when are meetings etc.

#17 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

View PostL`zard, on 03 February 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, what's your time zone? I'm one -8 (pacific)........I'm wondering re; when are meetings etc.

I'm -5 (eastern,) but meetings can be held on flexible days and hours and we can even have more then one meeting if needed depending on the different people in the unit.

#18 Alan Grant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLooking for hidden caches, within the BT Novels™

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

I'm really interested in this. I've been playing the old games since childhood, but never joined a group or unit to play with online.

Where and how would the meetings take place, or is that something that has to be decided once the unit is up and running?

#19 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

View Postalan grant, on 03 February 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

I'm really interested in this. I've been playing the old games since childhood, but never joined a group or unit to play with online.

Where and how would the meetings take place, or is that something that has to be decided once the unit is up and running?

Once it's up and running, we can decide how and when to meet, to see what's best for everyone.

#20 Alan Grant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLooking for hidden caches, within the BT Novels™

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 03 February 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

Once it's up and running, we can decide how and when to meet, to see what's best for everyone.

Right, thanks. I'll be keeping an eye on this as it develops.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users