Worries about the Pilot progression system and matchmaker

22 replies to this topic

#21 Ranek Blackstone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 03 February 2012 - 06:13 AM, said:

im sure it will match you with pilots of similar skill, not based on tonnage. if they did it by tonnage, whats the point of a matchmaking system, just throw in whatever pilots with whatever mechs to hit the weight limit.

and buying the mechs and leveling isnt paying to win, its paying to not have to grind it out as much. you might get to max level faster, but everyone else will be right with you in a few weeks, and they will be 50$ richer too.

Pretty much this IMO. You could, in theory, buy top of the line mechs/parts in the size you like to play, but unless you know how to bring them to the table, it's all worthless. Atlas may be a big mech, but it's slow, and trying to drive it like it's a big I WIN button isn't going to work out so well.

I play another game where you can buy using RTM all the guns in the game along with getting them all through ingame grinding, and you can tell who bought it and who ground it out. One can kill you quick as you please, the other spends a lot of time dead 'cause he doesn't know the ins and outs of the weapon.

Edited by Ranek Blackstone, 03 February 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#22 Riptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

First: Thanks Bryan for your quick reply, much apreciated.

Second: Come on guys... the mythological tale of only loosers and bad players purchasing stuff in cash shops is as old as "here be dragons" on maps of the world.

It is most often the "pro" guilds and players that buy themselves advantages... those highly competitive teams that try to get every advantage they get.

The reason i said borders on play to win is that it might take a long time to get a new mech only with C-bills, combine that with pilot progression and you will have alot of people that are months behind in progression... in the very first month. So while you are stuck as a commander with a normal artillery strike, the enemy commander might call in a naval strike and a satelite sweep and then finish you off with a predator drone.

For example: Im sure it wont take very long to unlock Tier 1 on any given mech.. so while you are working on Tier 2 or 3 i allready upgraded my 3 or 4 mechs to Tier 1 and got 4 points while you got only 2. See the problem? That is buying power....

Now Bryans response gives me the confidence to say that they are aware of the problem and taking it serious... wich is allways a good sign... so i guess we have to give tons of feedback once the Beta rolls out about the matchmaker. The matchmaker might make or break this game in the end.

#23 Rayge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostRazed, on 03 February 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

I'm less concerned with the "pay to win" issue and more with being forced to change 'Mechs to continue your progression. From a lore perspective this doesn't seem to fit as most Mechwarriors consistantly use one chassis which becomes iconic for them. From a player perspective it's somewhat irritating because if I really like a particular 'Mech I'm not going to want to have to change just to keep increasing my abilities. If I'm playing a scout and I'm enjoying my Jenner, I'm comfortable with how it manuevers and performs, I don't want to be forced to switch to a Raven just pass some imaginary ceiling.

Hey Razed, I don't know if you heard or not but I believe this issue was addressed in todays 4.1 dev blog. Turns out that a 'mech with 3 variants will give you 12 total pilot points if you get elite 1, which is enough points to fill the pilot tree iirc.

I like this, because it means I can pick my favorite variant and cap just that variant out to get 4 pilot points, and then move onto the next new 'mech for variety. 'or' I can stay with the 'mech, pick a different variant, and max that out, and if I max out all variants, I get the 'elite 1' status on the 'mech which gives a blanket improvement. Pretty cool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users