PvE

45 replies to this topic

#21 Adino

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 February 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

You guys do know that Russ... who posted in this thread... owns this company and stated what's up right? Right?!!? :D

hahaha

And who the heck are you?... Oh the Lead Designer... nvm. Yeah I appreciate you guys actually posting.

Well to be fair he basically teased us and said not right now and hopefully later. To all of us that means "NO". When I tell my 3 year old "later" she translates that to "no" and to be honest it means "no" a lot of the times. :-)

But I will wait and see and keep my fingers crossed. Heck if it was just LoL with mechs I would be all in anyways. I don't want to wait next to a cave for a rare spawn to get a chance at a rare weapon in my 50 ton mech, but running around the open fields in a Battlemech and picking off random forest animals would be so awesome.

But please you guys have to incorporate salvage and not just c-bills. I remember getting in fights with the game moderator when he calclulated how much I salvaged after a table top game. "I shot his head! It was a head kill! How the heck do I only get a partial salvage?!"

#22 Opus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 February 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

You guys do know that Russ... who posted in this thread... owns this company and stated what's up right? Right?!!? :D

hahaha

Is that what President stands for? Relating to US politics, it means.... never mind...:~

#23 Adino

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

View PostOpus, on 03 February 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

Is that what President stands for? Relating to US politics, it means.... never mind...:~

This is what I am talking about in a more mature fan base. More likely than not, in another forum that guy takes a shot at Obama and then this thread gets closed after a flame war over politics.

#24 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostAdino, on 03 February 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

This is what I am talking about in a more mature fan base. More likely than not, in another forum that guy takes a shot at Obama and then this thread gets closed after a flame war over politics.

You've been on Wow Forums haven't you?

I am just amazed that we actually have Presidents posting on Forums with the masses.....

Much better than past games I've been involved with...

#25 Robert Silverton

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationgeorgia

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

HUmmm how about PVE being set up as classic battles of the inner sphere? That way a group of ppl could get together and fight one of those battles.

maybe set it up like missions that way ppl that don't have the time to dedicate to total pvp could enjoy the game too.

#26 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 03 February 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

PvE would be great, I want it and many others do. But it needs to slip down the priority list for now, first we need to establish a successful product before we can add more features into it. Keep your fingers crossed.

PvE would be great to have IF it is a great experience. Don't want to play "Whack a Loot Pinata". Got bored of that with "that MMO". Really looking forward to a tactical, my brain versus your brain experience not a new and shiny Crescent Hawks' Inception (even tho' I do have found memories, it's not what I'm looking for in MWO).

Edited by Morashtak, 05 February 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#27 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

I'd accept PvE in the form of bots, like in a practice match so I can test out a new mech. But in games that count, no matter how good the AI is it's gonna cost people matches. And then all we'll hear is how the AI is ruining the game and needs to be removed.

Really, i can't count the number of times i've had to reload a mission in MW4 cause my lancemates can't move from alpha to beta.

#28 Ranek Blackstone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 03 February 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

rocket propelled grenade

\
Actually, it's russian for "hand-held anti-tank grenade launcher" (Ruchnoy Protivotankovy Granatomyot) but that's neither here nor there.

Now, I'd kill for something like Leauge of Legends where 2 teams have to duke it out to kill a centeral target while waves of AI controlled tanks and helos are spawned to support the attack. One team could be the "defenders" trying to hold down a strategic target, while the "Attackers" have to keep the defenders from destroying the spaceport controll tower that bringers their reinforments down via dropship.

#29 Dras Black

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUhhhh In my Jenner?

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

Ranek, you almost scared me away when you said "League of Legends" but you're right, that does sound pretty killer.

#30 STR1K3HAV0K 06

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

As a VERY casual gamer, whose skills are... rusty would be diplomatic, I would very much like to see PvE as a way to pratice before embarassing myself in PvP.

Not that won't still embarass myself in PvP. I just want to pratice first.

#31 Kael Tropheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 282 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

Just a basic training course with a hill and some targets would be greatly beneficial. Maybe a nondescript building to jump over. It doesnt even have to be online, adding it to the basic game to be able to be played offline would greatly help and would negate having to have a server or take up server space and bandwidth.

I am guessing from an IT background there is already a basic and relatively plain battlefield designed just to see if things work, just incorporate that into the game. Basic range targets programmed in and there you go.

#32 STR1K3HAV0K 06

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

And thinking about this further, the first MW game I played was MW2: Mercs, which I really enjoyed. I liked the random, one jump, side missions you could take if you wanted to skip a section of main story line. Perhaps incorporating NPC driven merc missions would be possible. Lower XP and C-Bills than PvP, but a chance for less serious play that still moves you forward a little. I truly miss those old games, and was hoping for some of that in the new release. Some days I have enough "teamwork" at real work, and don't really look forward to that in my entertainment.

#33 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

Expect the learning curve of a mosh pit of rusty mech pilots to be par with no opening night ballet. That being said, I'm sure the whole stuck to the 'timeline" thing gives them time to add that in updates, much like other games do that periodically add new content. Imagine having depth of character selection/creation for your avatar with tons of historical lore to choose from. Now, imagine these guys will allow you to immerse fully with a walk/talk world for your avatar to hop into vehicles, etc. Now, scratch that and imagine something completely different. Take two tequilas and call me in the morning. I imagine with all the locations and events, there will always be a "preliminary" or "blooding" assignment entry point for new "characters" for which tutorials for new functions, features, or events would be advisable for all players. That usually takes place, or some kind of systematic assessment of ability like military academy, reserve duty training, militia drills, and the like.

#34 GenSheridan

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostRayge, on 03 February 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

lol, artfully done: can't tell if trolling or legitimately confused. PVE is player versus environment, aka, killing NPCs.

What does RPG stand for? sorry I'm not great at these acronyms

ummmm... are you serious?? in case you are, RPG stands for Role Playing Game. I always felt that Battletech would be the MMO and MechWarrior would be the MMORPG, but that's just me...

#35 Ian MacLeary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationChiron Beta Prime

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 03 February 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

No, this will not be part of the game. We are MechWarriors, people who get into large war machines and duke it out against other large war machines for control of territory. There will be no blueprints, no crafting, no such skills.

Laddie... I dinnae know where ye were trained... but me Da and Gran-da always said, "A MechWarrior who can't fix his own 'mech isna worth havin' in yer lance." Sure an' havin' a master-tech ta do the heavy liftin' is nice, but ye should be at least Apprentice level yerself. (I have a Journeyman rating, but then I've been drivin' 'mechs since I was barely outta short-pants.)

That kind of thing will all be done behind the scenes without any possible interference from us.

[OOC] The more likely probability is that we won't have salvage at all; since all 'mechs are going to be player-driven in deathmatch-style combats, allowing salvage would mean that the losers would have to buy new 'mechs. (Or refurbished, or even scrapped ones that can be patched up - you know what I mean.) Otherwise we're faced with a situation where when you lose, the enemies get to scavenge your 'mech, and then you magically get a new one. Nobody's going to sell 'BattleMech Insurance', since it's almost certain you're going to lose one on a fairly frequent basis.

Edited by Ian MacLeary, 05 February 2012 - 10:43 PM.

#36 STR1K3HAV0K 06

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:10 AM

View PostIan MacLeary, on 05 February 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

The more likely probability is that we won't have salvage at all; since all 'mechs are going to be player-driven in deathmatch-style combats, allowing salvage would mean that the losers would have to buy new 'mechs. (Or refurbished, or even scrapped ones that can be patched up - you know what I mean.) Otherwise we're faced with a situation where when you lose, the enemies get to scavenge your 'mech, and then you magically get a new one. Nobody's going to sell 'BattleMech Insurance', since it's almost certain you're going to lose one on a fairly frequent basis.

Interesting. This could be a variation though between PvP (no salvage) and PvE (salvage). Beat the boss and goons to win the gear. Lower drop weights get better stuff?

Edited by STR1K3HAV0K 06, 06 February 2012 - 05:10 AM.

#37 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

PvE will be most likely available post launch, but much further down the pipe.

#38 Tadakuma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

View PostRobert Silverton, on 05 February 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

HUmmm how about PVE being set up as classic battles of the inner sphere? That way a group of ppl could get together and fight one of those battles.

maybe set it up like missions that way ppl that don't have the time to dedicate to total pvp could enjoy the game too.

I'm really hoping that group based PvE is included in the game eventually.

I was thinking that the clan invasion would be a great setting PvE, imagine the Inner Sphere groups fighting a series of desperate battles against a mysterious and technologically advanced force.

That's the sort of thing that would make the game really immersive and give it that canon feel.

#39 Ian MacLeary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationChiron Beta Prime

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

View PostSTR1K3HAV0K 06, on 06 February 2012 - 05:10 AM, said:

Interesting. This could be a variation though between PvP (no salvage) and PvE (salvage). Beat the boss and goons to win the gear. Lower drop weights get better stuff?

It's possible. I was going to speculate on this, but so far the word on PvE is 'not at launch'. Being unable to salvage stuff from the get-go will cause some people to have... issues.

View PostTadakuma, on 06 February 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

I'm really hoping that group based PvE is included in the game eventually.

I was thinking that the clan invasion would be a great setting PvE, imagine the Inner Sphere groups fighting a series of desperate battles against a mysterious and technologically advanced force.

That's the sort of thing that would make the game really immersive and give it that canon feel.

Another thing that people will have issues with - non-playable Clans. But I agree, if the first year of the Clan Invasion were to be PvE only, that would be pretty awesome. The big problem would be having an AI that could play appropriately, following Clan doctrine (and not blowing themselves up due to overheating, kamikaze charging, or outright cheating).

#40 Jumbik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

I would strongly disagree with releasing the game without any PvE at all. I'm sorry guys but this is not FPS, this is going to be (I hope) good simulator with many variables and learning curve associated to it. You cannot hope that people will be playing this game for competetion thing in it only. If you want to lure as many players as you want, you need to go easy on them from the beginning. Don't get me wrong, I want to experience good matches against good oponents but imagine someone who wants to try the game and gets demolished few seconds to every match and he can do nothing about it, frustration comes in and that is a gamebreaker for anyone.

Below is what I think is the best way how to get new players in without any pain in the process.

- After the first login and at any time you want, you get introduced to the basics. Some young sexy female voice starts telling you who you are (based on your choices during character creation), it will explain to you the basic background to Battletech universe and tells you how awesome and needed you are in these times, blah blah etc. In any MMO, you need to be THE CENTER of the UNIVERSE ever (even though you are not and never will be) :] I mean it.

- You will appear in the cockpit of the most awesome Mech you can think of at the moment. The sexy voice from intro will tell you again how awesome and rich you are already that you can sit in that chair. Now it will tell you how you can start the Mech and how to operate the basic equipment in the cockpit.

- You will get through the basic training how to use the Mech electronics and move around. The Weapon training will come as next. The sexy voice will be telling you some verry good lies about how GOOD you are and so on.

- After all this, you will get to a PvE scenarion with several mission where you will learn how to realy fight and communicate with your team, you will be able to choose different mechs so you can try all the options.

NOW you are ready for the PvP which will be everything from now and on. Please do not release the game without the basic PvE element. There is no need for campaing, but few mission are essential.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users