Anything for the "shy" Mechwarrior?

45 replies to this topic

#21 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostMad Mage, on 03 February 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

You mean videos like this?

Please nothing like that

View PostBlane, on 03 February 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Now i'm just waiting for the circa 1954 ,black and white , movie reel " You and your mech" educational video. In case of LRM or artillery barrage "duck-n-cover"!

This, however, would be fantastic..

#22 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 02 February 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

The concerns about 'mechs and Rule 34? :o

View PostDaZur, on 03 February 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Okay...

I admit it, I can't walk into a Mech bay and just whip my Myomer bundle out and offload coolant when other Mechwarriors are watching. :unsure:

That said, I wonder if there will be some sort of off-line training concession made for the discreet Mechwarrior who might want to figure out the proper way to grip their joystick or manipulate their throttle quadrant before they embarrass themselves on the battlefield?

Wow, right on schedule... :blush: :blink:

Not expecting any sort of Mech-on-Mech loving

Uh-huh... :unsure:

View PostKael Tropheus, on 03 February 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

Plus they demand you not fly the aircraft since they only spawn every so often want to use it to bail out over their preferred camping area so they don't have to run there.

Fixed for you...

#23 trycksh0t

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

To Paul up there, somewhere on page 1, with the possibility of a training area: Thank you much. I know for a fact I'm quite rusty, and would appreciate some sim-time to get my head on straight.

To OP: I laughed a lot, that was the greatest innuendo filled post I've read in a long time. Thanks much :o.

#24 bryt

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

So, i've always practiced and tested my mechs/skills by loading up Instant Action and fighting a bunch of AI for a while. This has been a religious practice of sorts... and something I am uncertain if I can live without.

Has there been any confirmation (official or otherwise) that we will have the option to "test" ourselves in a no-consequences offline way?

I love that MWO will be a full online experience... but I just don't know if I can enjoy the game as easily without having a sandbox to test my setups with. This is important for several reasons.

- Control Map configuration / testing (most games make it 'hard' to set this up well)
- Game mechanics exploration
- Weapon/Tech testing
- Mech customization testing
- General un-ranked target practice

The first and last of these are probably the most crucial, and I think the game could be dangerously dysfunctional unless people have a way to get set up in a stress-free environment.

It doesn't necessarily have to be just like Instant Action in past Mechwarrior games, but I do think these requirements need to be met somehow.

Edited by bryt, 04 February 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#25 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

bumping for merging purposes... nothing to see here.. move along...

Spoiler

#26 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

The best way to teach someone to swim is to throw them into the river.

#27 bryt

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 04 February 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

whoops, good catch

though perhaps my title using the keywords INSTANT ACTION, and OFFLINE... might have helped me avoid the issue.

Edited by bryt, 04 February 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#28 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

View Postverybad, on 04 February 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

Actually dependent upon their innate will to survive it more likely the best way to teach them to drown... :o

#29 Seth Deathstalker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

Okay...

I admit it, I can't walk into a Mech bay and just whip my Myomer bundle out and offload coolant when other Mechwarriors are watching. :unsure:

That said, I wonder if there will be some sort of off-line training concession made for the discreet Mechwarrior who might want to figure out the proper way to grip their joystick or manipulate their throttle quadrant before they embarrass themselves on the battlefield?

Not expecting any sort of Mech-on-Mech loving but maybe some sort of Boot-camp'esk something so we all don't look like a bunch of cherries on the first day... :o

:unsure: Thanks for that one. Refreshing sense of humour.

I also would prefer the possibility of getting the feel how to handle myself (in a 'Mech) in private first.
Instead of just plunging in and getting my behind handed to me. (Especially since I won't be able to join in the happy slaughter till the end of this year. When everybody and his cousin will be able to do balett with their 'Mechs while shooting.)

#30 Mr Smiles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMaine

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Ideally, they'll have a matchmaking system that'll see you've never played before or see that you aren't that good, and pair you up with people in the same boat.

Also (and I see devs in this thread so pay attention devs!) another hugely ideal situation is the ability to load up a map with zero enemies. Like, you're not in combat, you're "out on maneuvers". Thus, you could get some friends who play MechWarrior Online to show you the ropes in a less-hostile environment, you could configure your torso twist controls without people shooting you in the head or without your allies cmoplaining you're just standing around doing nothing.

Or, if you have no friends and their matchmaking system sucks... well, this game is Free To Play :) Make an account called TrollFaceTestingControls404040404 and practice with that till you get good, then go back to your main account :(

But really, developers: videos are okay, tutorial are okay (I've never seen either be good though, especially not in a more complex game like MWO should be), but what teaches newbies is _AI ENEMIES_ and _CUSTOM MATCHES_. Get one or the other or both in the game, and you need not worry about your flock of newbies

#31 Dragnfly

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

A friend of mine made a naval battle game back in school and it was complex. He's a big navy geek so it was complex as heck. He provided a tutorial video but all his test players (except himself) needed to keep going back to it, looking for certain segments, etc. It was a royal pain and it was also what stopped him from finishing the project.

Good `mech fighting is complex. More complex than most FPS fighting IMO. So just a video which we may have to go back to is a BAD idea.

I fully agree that we need a testing environment that's either safe or free of... well... jerkwards. No matter how good your online community is, there's always going to be people who make it their mission to ruin things for newcomers. And nobody wants to be a dead weight on their team.

#32 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

View PostMad Mage, on 03 February 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

You mean videos like this?

what is this and where can i get moar?

View PostPaul Inouye, on 04 February 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

Spoiler

: \ give a guy an ounce of power...

#33 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

Judge Reinhold in a Mech movie?!?!?!

The 80s just crawled out of whatever dark forsaken place they were slumbering to play havoc with my visual senses!

#34 Seth Deathstalker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:29 AM

Yep, that's him. Never saw that one, though. But the graphics... If it wasn't a 'Mech movie I'd say one could get eye cancer from something like that... Are the 80s that long gone? Uhh, I'm feeling old suddenly.

#35 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostSeth Deathstalker, on 08 February 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

Yep, that's him. Never saw that one, though. But the graphics... If it wasn't a 'Mech movie I'd say one could get eye cancer from something like that... Are the 80s that long gone? Uhh, I'm feeling old suddenly.

Oh man, I thought I had seen every giant robot movie the 80's had. And now an actual BattleTech based clip comes out?

I... I don't know if I have the constitution for that much cheese.

#36 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostSeth Deathstalker, on 08 February 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

Its the Virtual World start up movie, (you would watch it in a briefing room) and those Mech graphics are OUR Mech graphics darn it. *pokes the air with his cane* We thought they were AMAZING at the time. I played Red Planet this year... and they still work, but... todays graphics are out of control compared to those straight lines of yester year. But they played man, they played.

#37 Vernius Ix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOscar Mike

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

Okay...

I admit it, I can't walk into a Mech bay and just whip my Myomer bundle out and offload coolant when other Mechwarriors are watching. :o

Not expecting any sort of Mech-on-Mech loving but maybe some sort of Boot-camp'esk something so we all don't look like a bunch of cherries on the first day... :)

*Bows deeply*

#38 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

View Postverybad, on 04 February 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

First couble of weeks into MWO will be regarded later on as "the happy times". We'll made it to the Knightscross (sorry wrong game), in no time!

:)

#39 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

I actually was just thinking a "Training Arena" would be cool, especially for newbies.

With pop-up turrets, Tanks, and maybe a few unique moving targets...
Afterward, you could review your stats (compared to a baseline basic proficiency for
passing grades) and your teammates if you work through the training together.

Maybe even post a "Best Times" or "Best Scores" after completion and for those wanting
to repeat the training to improve themselves and compare what they have already done to
their current scores.

:)

#40 Mad Mage

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationGalveston, Texas

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 08 February 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

Its the Virtual World start up movie, (you would watch it in a briefing room) and those Mech graphics are OUR Mech graphics darn it. *pokes the air with his cane* We thought they were AMAZING at the time. I played Red Planet this year... and they still work, but... todays graphics are out of control compared to those straight lines of yester year. But they played man, they played.

Yes it was, in fact that was from 94 or so I think....

I just wish I could get a copie to the infamous Jim Blushie Traning video...

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users