31 replies to this topic

#21 Thorazan McKenna

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostThat Guy, on 03 February 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

this varients thing has me a little concerned. in order for a mech to be come "elite", you need "all varients" to be leveled. does that mean that we need to buy 5-6 centurions and max them each out in order to become elite, while you only need a single enforcer?

http://www.sarna.net...28BattleMech%29 (yeah, some of those varients are post 3050, but the point remains the same)

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Enforcer

the devs just love trolling with small (but important!) details dont they?

actually to me they were quite precise in how it works.

You wouldn't require multiple CN's as the XP you earn is earnt on the chassis, not on a variant. In other words if you run round with any centurion config and your gaining xp you can use on any centurion variant flavour you like. Now as to whether you need to buy a new Cent in order to play the flashy variant you just unlocked... that is still unknown.

#22 That Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

In order to access Elite I, the player needs to not only unlock all upgrades on tiers 1-4 of this model, but they have to do the same for every initial variant.

sounds like you either need all the mechs "initial variants" or you need to shelf out the cash to get the "variant upgrade kit" for your mech (start with the CN9-A, but need to get the AL model, AH model and the D) and level them ALL to unlock elite status. my concern is not so much that, but rather the fact that some mechs have a ton of varients wile others have one.

#23 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

I think the variants will open up more possibilities for each mech. Sort of like an version of MW4's hardpoint system, with different variants having different hardpoints.

A hardpoint system would be useful for a what you see if what you get mechlab, and keep mechs acting like what they are. Vaiants would naturally be different from base units, perhaps they might have more modules as well (?)

In the base game of battletech, things like engines and internal structure aren't changed very often on the battlefield, complex internal stuff like that has to be done in a factory.

So perhaps a Dragon base variant would move up to 86 KPH, carry a light autocannon, a medium missile system, and several energy weapons. A Grand Dragon Variant might be faster, have access to more tech (eg Double Heatsinks), perhaps an extra space for a command module, and a heavy energy weapon rather than the light AC.

So there would be limited customization, not a free for all. No engine changes, no internal structure changes. Some items might not be removable.

This is a guess on my part.

They've mentioned Mechlab several times in the past, so presumably that's in the game, with Variants also mentioned, I think a limited mechlab is the most likely system.

Another system might be they limit the mechlab until you've reached a certain level of skills in the game, then slowly unlock features. This is very similiar to how btech NPCs are traditionally only alowed custom variants when they're incredibly badazzed.

Edited by verybad, 03 February 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#24 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

Methinks they're using something similar to my idea:
Mechlab exists, and variants exist, but each variant has their own setup for weapons such that you can't take an Atlas Prime, for example, and stick a PPC on its waist, because (as a non-omni mech) that slot is intended for autocannons, not energy weapons. If you want to put those weapons in that place, you'll need to find a variant that has a slot in that position.

So players can still make a wide variety of mechs, but the designs will still stick to a similar style, instead of how Mechwarrior 2 and 3 made your mechs just a bag of guns.

#25 Blackfire1

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

Remember mech were made in bulk. Meaning there were different basic load outs that were hardwired into the unit. Custom anything was extremely expensive. While I'm sure there will be a mechlab of some form (they already mentioned it) I'm sure variants will be the cheaper route followed by individual customization.
They showed the massive skill trees each individual chasis will have. That alone makes me smile. :o

#26 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

I make it no secret that I would much prefer only canonical 'Mechs and their variants--no customization, i.e. say you want the Hunchback. Now, do you want the HBK-4G? Or would you rather pilot the HBK-4H? As long as it fits in with the era and it's available to your faction.

If the 'Mech is a boat in its stock form, so be it--at least its canonical. That makes all the difference to me. None of this slapping on one weapon type onto any chassis. I feel it subtracts from individuality in a 'Mech. You may as well not have different models and just one chassis per tonnage level.

I would 100% support canon only variants. MechLab can be used to configure modules and your paint job.

Edited by Brakkyn, 03 February 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#27 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostThat Guy, on 03 February 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

sounds like you either need all the mechs "initial variants" or you need to shelf out the cash to get the "variant upgrade kit" for your mech (start with the CN9-A, but need to get the AL model, AH model and the D) and level them ALL to unlock elite status. my concern is not so much that, but rather the fact that some mechs have a ton of varients wile others have one.

They will limit the number of initial variants, so while the Locust has 17 officially, only some of them count as "initial" variants.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 03 February 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#28 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

I actually like this idea, people get to really know a 'mech and how it can function without walking up to an atlas with 500 medium lasers.

This also adds to the information warfare role, as scouts will now be able to help you identify the type of force you're going against, and depending on how good they are at their role....you get to know what 'mech variants you're looking at to avoid any nasty surprises.

It also means we may see multiple models per 'mech....they'll actually show what's on the mech instead of "Why is that AC/20 mount shooting a small laser?" Now, this is just a possibility, and may be more work then they're actually going to do.

#29 Ranger207

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationI iz in ur matchez, killing ur battlemechz

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

Maybe a add-on system- Your armor is bolted to your frame, so why can't you take a ton of armor off and mount a laser there instead? Of course, the modules will be, well, modular, but what about a mini-omni system in sort-of the same style? If, say, Defiance makes this 'Mech variant, then they include a hole in the armor and some space inside so you can put a Defiance-brand small laser pod or a Defiance-brand machine gun pod, but not a Defiance-brand AC10 pod, because they don't exist since it's too big to fit into a Succession Wars-era pod. It's different than pure omni because it can only fit a small number of items into a predetermined amount of slots (no putting a 2 slot gun in two 1 slot spots!) and only from one or two brands- no fitting a Defiance pod into a IrTech Stalker. Another way of putting it is like the machine gun mount on top of a real-life tank- I've always imagined that you could take the machine gun off and put, say, a grenade launcher or something, but obviously not a 105mm cannon.

#30 Xarg Talasko

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

View PostAlaskan Viking, on 03 February 2012 - 03:24 PM, said:

You know, every Mechwarrior player I know loves the mechlab, if you don't want any mechlab whatsoever, I advise you stick to the table top?

Gotta love those no-skill boats. Before you ask, I am a player of MW 2, 3, 4v, 4bk, 4mercs, MC 1&2, and MW:LL. Full on 'Mechlab is bad for gameplay.

#31 That Guy

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

i gotta agree. but if heat actually has some negative effects, and there is not MW4 style PPA, then alot of the "boat power" will be lost.

#32 Marvin Martian

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:46 AM

I personally don't mind full customization in Mechlab. I built my own mechs in tabletop battletech to fit my play style, so I think building your own mech in Mechlab translates well. Yes, you're still stuck with calling it a Centurion or whatnot due to limitations of the game, but at least you get to do it. I think its great if you love the stock mechs, but if you don't, I don't think you should be barred from creating a custom mech.

I like the idea of scanning a mech and seeing it is an Atlas-B, and knowing what to expect, but on the flip side, not knowing exactly what you're up against can add more excitement to the game and can create advantages for you if you are piloting the unknown variant.

I also wouldn't make too strict of comparisons between tabletop and MWO for multiple reasons:

1) Since MWO is more or less real time (1 day of real time = 1 day of MWO timeline), would you really be fighting in multiple sorties per day, possibly on totally different worlds between missions? Would you have your beat up mech fixed in 5 minutes between missions? What if your mech was blown to smithereens? Would you want to wait 6 months until your replacement mech arrives to play again?

2) What's the odds that you'd have access to all the variants of your mech? In reality, if there were 4 variants of the Jenner, and you had access to all of them, you'd have 4 Jenners parked in your garage.

3) What's the odds you'd even own more than one mech at the same time?

I like the idea that you would purchase a mech, then have access to purchase the variants at whatever price, but full on customization costs a lot of money. I think it is a good compromise between those only wanting stock mechs and those wanting to build a custom mech.

I'm eager to see how everything will actually be implemented.

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users