Let there be... Wut?

88 replies to this topic

#1 BMRX

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

I neither hate, nor love MLP. I don't understand either stance. I'm neutral until someone explains both reasons as to why I should either enjoy or hate this show so much.

I've asked this multiple times from the bronies all I get is "BECAUSE FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC AND MAGIC IS AWESOME!" from the haters I get "They are talking ponies that **** rainbows whats not to hate?" I still am oblivious as to why I should either like or hate this show.... I remember purchasing the toys for my younger cousin... That's about it, oh the only MLP that I enjoy are the apocolypse ponies... :)

For reasons to love it:
"You just have to watch it" is not an acceptable answer, I can explain everything that I love in full detail with valid points and reasonings for doing so... I expect the same.

For reason to hate it:
Most of you seem to be much quicker to hate and have less patience than others. Please provide good valid reasons as to why one should hate MLP.

Discuss! For validation, for honor, for glory, for ***** n giggles!

#2 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

Pony Neutral thread exists, breh.

http://mwomercs.com/...neutral-thread/

I don't get why this of all cartoons had to become super famous, for little girls and 50 year old biker men with beards alike, as well as everyone in between.

Edited by Zakatak, 21 August 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#3 BMRX

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Oh dear my bad! Should have searched properly.

But yes I agree, I really have no clue as to how or why this became so popular... Like I stated before I remember buying the tiny little chokable toys for my younger cousin back in the ninties..

#4 Scorpioneldar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:22 AM

hmmm the only reason i say i hate it at times is because of how da.. darn annoying the bronies (as they call themselves) get both in real life and on the forums (any forums though if you enter the bronies forums well you brought it on yourself dude) i have no real interest in the show but i bet i would watch it if it was on and the remote was across the room
i am easily distracted by movement and bright lights.............. anyway thats that

and i remember my sister having a few of them myself

#5 Dymitry

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:21 AM

From urbandictionary:

Bronies simply means people who are of an older age group and like to watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. There is nothing particularly exciting about this, but they make a big deal out of it.

Jump on to a forum most places online, and you will see these people often pushing their fandom. As in, you will be on a forum for cars, and someone will have their display picture as a pony, and all their posts will be about ponies. Then when people accuse them of being off topic, they go into a rant about acceptance, as if watching a cartoon is some sort of big revelation.

Subculture is one thing, but it is a totally other thing to push it into people's faces and then get upset. It would be like heavy metal fan jumping on to a My Little Pony forum and spending their whole time talking about metal, and then getting upset that they aren't well received.

As such, bronies are known to complain about acceptance, and about how hard it is to live in a world like this. News flash fellahs, no one really gives a ****. People don't hate that you like My Little Pony, they hate that you won't ******* shut up about it.
Brony: Hey guys, I know this is a post about motorbikes, but did anyone watch My Little Pony yesterday? Wow!

Regular poster: Umm...that is a bit off topic, don't you think? What is with all these posts about ponies?

Brony: Us bronies just want to be treated like everyone else. Why do you hate us for our subculture?

#6 Jaggar Boo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 103 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:29 AM

They are trolls. That is all they are.

#7 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

View PostBMRX, on 21 August 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

For reasons to love it:
"You just have to watch it" is not an acceptable answer, I can explain everything that I love in full detail with valid points and reasonings for doing so... I expect the same.

There are many other reasons. I'll give you three...
1. It's funny! You can get a good laugh out of the show.
2. It's nerdy! There are so many inside jokes in this show, that only grownups will notice, I am sure I have not noticed them all.*
3. It's entertaining! The voice actors do a very good job, the ponies stay in character throughout the show and the stories are well written for a childs show.

* Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; Indiana Jones, Star Wars; The big Lebowski; Greek mythology; Arthurian saga; The Benny Hill Show; Looney Toons; Pinky and the Brain; Headless Horseman; Star Trek; Lone Ranger and many many more

For reason to hate it:
Most of you seem to be much quicker to hate and have less patience than others. Please provide good valid reasons as to why one should hate MLP.

I can only guess! I am bad at that, so I leave it to others.

#8 Aescwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:32 AM

Dymitry sums it up really.

I don't hate nor like the show. I have no problem with Bronies at all.

The thing is there wouldn't be such thing as Bronies if it wasn't for 4chan. And as you know 4chan is a stupid forum mainly full of Bronies and furries and not to mention 12 year old kids who think its kool to make people go "an hero"

I was apart of a Halo based community forum and it was alright but I started to notice that Bronies derailing threads then I noticed that your not allowed to tell said Bronies to stop and go back on top basically allowing Bronies to derail threads because they want acceptance and most of the time being horrible to everyone who isn't a Bronie. This in my opinion isn't acceptable using a children's tv show to justify being obnoxious and horrible.

Besides that I'm not bashing Bronies I generally bash anyone who is being an Arse and using an outside medium to justify it.

#9 Dymitry

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:37 AM

"Who gives a smelly poo about cartoon horses, as cute as they can be, when we can talk about Urbie all day!" me says.

#10 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

You know, people keep trying to justify the Pony hatred by talking about how Bronies "shove MLP in peoples' faces" or "always post about MLP", but thus far, their behavior here has consisted of nothing of the sort, insofar as I've seen. They have their one thread, certainly less than some franchises have spawned, and I rarely, if ever, see anything posted outside that thread. Even when it might be appropriate on occasion in some other thread, as a general part of internet pop culture, I usually don't see such posts, mostly because when it does happen (again, even when not necessarily inappropriate), the poster usually gets berated until they retreat back into their one-thread exile.

I'm neutral on the show (saw the first episode once; thought it was maybe slightly on the better side of meh), but thus far, the only real obnoxious behavior I've seen is from the anti-MLP crowd.

Now 40K fans; that's been a different story. I've seen them pop into many, many, many threads about science fiction, whether related or not, just to proclaim how great the Imperium of Man is, and how they're just the coolest thing ever, and would totally beat everyone ever in a fight, just to get pissy when people disagree. I've participated in a few threads that have been derailed that way. Now, as is always the case, this hardly encompasses all such fans, but rather just a portion of them, but I note that that behavior doesn't earn "anti-40K threads", because I guess 40K is "cool enough" that that downright rabid fandom gets overlooked, while MLP posters seem to act this way far less, at least insofar as these particular forums (I have never seen them derail a thread on the MWO forums), yet get far more hate. That makes it kind of hard to swallow the "it's how the Bronies act" argument, imo.

Edited by Catamount, 22 August 2012 - 05:14 AM.

#11 BMRX

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:23 AM

View PostEgomane, on 22 August 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

There are many other reasons. I'll give you three...
1. It's funny! You can get a good laugh out of the show.
2. It's nerdy! There are so many inside jokes in this show, that only grownups will notice, I am sure I have not noticed them all.*
3. It's entertaining! The voice actors do a very good job, the ponies stay in character throughout the show and the stories are well written for a childs show.

* Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; Indiana Jones, Star Wars; The big Lebowski; Greek mythology; Arthurian saga; The Benny Hill Show; Looney Toons; Pinky and the Brain; Headless Horseman; Star Trek; Lone Ranger and many many more

I can only guess! I am bad at that, so I leave it to others.

You are by far the only person to ever give me an answer like this, I personally want to thank you on behalf of the internet... Finally a MLP fan who has legitamite reasons why.

Lots of people here have posted very valid arguements.

Dymitry you did sum it up pretty well but I don't feel that you are 100% correct on that matter. I've met some fairly mature MLP fans who arent "in my face" or offended when I ask them to "stop posting that in my thread please" but then again... I usually don't stay in forums where people are easily offended.

Cata, you also bring up great points about MLP hatred. Yes I agree that they can go over board but I'm sure there are some people who are more than willing to sit down and explain why... Like Dymitry kindly did so...

I see what you did there, trying to change the subject? Not on my watch!

#12 Hell Grunt

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:28 AM

View PostCatamount, on 22 August 2012 - 05:12 AM, said:

snip

Find 100 forums not about about MLP and 100 forums not about W40K, see how many W40K threads you find compared to MLP threads.

*Hint*: Very, very few, MLP is just a shield created by 4chan to tame mods and troll at will since we can't stop the infestation as the mods simply allow it.

I dislike the show, I'll admit it plain as day, it's a show for kids that men shouldn't even acknowledge it's existance (unless in case of a daughter/sister), just about every forum I go to has a minimum of 1-50 MLP threads with at least 1 MLP off-topic post every page regardless of topic, when called out they respond with BS such as "acceptance" and "tolerance" when they lash out first. I can't even enter the MWO portal without getting MLP thrust into my face.

Edited by Hell Grunt, 22 August 2012 - 05:37 AM.

#13 BuddyBoombox

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

I heard an interesting argument against bronies from a co-worker today, and the sentiment was echoed from another friend of mine. It basically went something to the effect of "I really don't want 40 year old men surfing and posting on the same site as my 13 year old daughter, its just creepy!"

#14 Riin Suul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

View PostCatamount, on 22 August 2012 - 05:12 AM, said:

You know, people keep trying to justify the Pony hatred by talking about how Bronies "shove MLP in peoples' faces" or "always post about MLP", but thus far, their behavior here has consisted of nothing of the sort, insofar as I've seen. They have their one thread, certainly less than some franchises have spawned, and I rarely, if ever, see anything posted outside that thread.

the reason that they have been only on one thread is that they were forbidden to taint the rest of the forums, and given their own little place to congregate.

if this were not the case, I am sure they would be all over the place.

Edited by Riin Suul, 22 August 2012 - 07:06 AM.

#15 Aescwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

View PostBuddyBoombox, on 22 August 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

I heard an interesting argument against bronies from a co-worker today, and the sentiment was echoed from another friend of mine. It basically went something to the effect of "I really don't want 40 year old men surfing and posting on the same site as my 13 year old daughter, its just creepy!"

One I agree and also 13 is the min age for most forums and websites so the clash is always going to happen

#16 Apocalypse4987

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

good old eastern europe, no bronies and pony is just a food :P

#17 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

View PostBuddyBoombox, on 22 August 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

That sentiment is just creepy, as it is a hidden insult to any adult man who likes childish things. Those that gave up to be a child are poor souls, as they gave up something very valuable. It is fun to do childish things once in a while, like a street fight with supersoakers or playing with Lego or by creating fantasy worlds or to look at something with big eyes because it is new and fascinating. There is nothing creepy in acting childlike sometimes or liking something a child would like. And in no way is it creepy to express it. This closed mindedness, that your co-worker expressed, is the source for bad sentiments and fears. He should observe and protect his child, it his right and duty to do so and in no way wrong, but he shouldn't condemn others needlesly while doing it.

View PostRiin Suul, on 22 August 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

the reason that they have been only on one thread is that they were forbidden to taint the rest of the forums, and given their own little place to congregate.

if this were not the case, I am sure they would be all over the place.

Even as a pony fan, I need to agree to that! It would get out of hand quickly if those rules were not in place.

#18 Dymitry

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:50 AM

View PostApocalypse4987, on 22 August 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

good old eastern europe, no bronies and pony is just a food :P

I so love horse meat. Very lean, melts in mouth with that sweet after-taste....Mmmh...I wonder how Pony meat taste like...

#19 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

I neither hate, nor love MLP. I don't understand either stance. I'm neutral until someone explains both reasons as to why I should either enjoy or hate this show so much.

I've asked this multiple times from the bronies all I get is "BECAUSE FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC AND MAGIC IS AWESOME!" from the haters I get "They are talking ponies that **** rainbows whats not to hate?" I still am oblivious as to why I should either like or hate this show.... I remember purchasing the toys for my younger cousin... That's about it, oh the only MLP that I enjoy are the apocolypse ponies... :P

For reasons to love it:

For reason to hate it:

Discuss! For validation, for honor, for glory, for ***** n giggles!

Allow me to attempt a more, educated explination as to why My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has gained such a following as it has, As well as why there are soo many haters [though the hater example is fairly easy to explain but we'll get to that later]

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is the newest iteration of the My Little Pony franchise originally created by Hasbro back in the 80's. Back then many ignored the show for it's atrocious voice acting, terrible animation, and overall theme [though now looking back, the original My Little Pony was basically DnD with Pony's]

This newest iteration was developed for television by Lauren Faust. Many would recognize this name as someone who was involved with some on some really good shows, such as the film "The Iron Giant" and the shows "The Powerpuff Girls" and "Foster's Home" She's also married to Genndy Tartakovsky, best known for his works, "Dexters Lab" the original Clone Wars cartoon, and Samurai Jack.

As shows go, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is considered by many to be "deeper" entertainment than what "kids" normally get. If we look at animation trends over the past 12 years or so, you see a leaning towards shows that are "Random for the sake of being random" Things like Sponge Bob Square Pants, or Chowder. MLP:FiM breaks away from this mold of randomness by having characters that are actually, characters. Each character in the show has aspirations, some even own entire businesses to themselves. But not only this, they have realistic flaws, Characters that give so much of themselves to help others that they forget to help themselves. Time Mismanagement, even severe self-esteem issues.
Ontop of this, the show carries many pop-culture references that older people will get. There's a reference to "The Big Lebowsky" in one episode... To peppy le pew in another, Season 2 episode 2 contains an entire ending that was originally animated [and later cut down] shot for shot in reference to the "Awards ceremony" from "Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope" And the main villain of that 2 episode arc was voiced by John De Lance. And was written similar to how "Q" of Star Trek Fame is handled, which happens to be John's most well known role.
There's also the matter of the songs, there are songs ranging from broadway musical level, to 80's glam rock, to Disney-esque style songs. The show has even been nominated for 2 awards for this.

The episodes, while somewhat out of order, tend to contain a level of consistency rarely seen in children's animation, and instead of every episode standing on it's own, now and again there are references to older episodes, and many of the characters grow from episode to episode.

So I guess it comes down to, it's good because it's refreshing. It's decently animated, it has some awesome [and bad for a reason in some instances] songs, It has characters that are easy to identify with, and that are more than just 1 dimensional characters. Some of them even have when you break it down, psychological disorders.

If you're going into the show for simple surface level entertainment, you'll find it, fun songs, a fun cast, shoutouts to other shows and movies... some obscure, other's obvious. If you're willing to look a bit deeper [it doesn't take much effort to do so either] you'll find a brillantly written show that subverts expectation's. Let's not forget it's voiced by a very talented vocal cast also.

It's also apparently caught the attention of some very talented individuals in the fields of everything from science to music and art.

Now, now we're going to move on as to why the haters dislike the show.

One good reason is, well, some brony's tend to be very... VERY vocal about it, to the point of being pushy and more. This is common in big fandoms, and I've personally experienced it in regards to "Firefly" "Doctor Who" and "Battlestar" MLP:FiM is no different in having it's pushy fans, and this drives some people into "Hype Aversion" mode. [again I avoided the previously mentioned shows for YEARS because of pushy fans]

Another reason is the stigmata that "childrens cartoons" have gained over the years, and perticularly shows aimed towards "young girls" It's really a cultural aversion, considering MLP:FiM found an unlikely fanbase in older males, when it was originally targeted for younger viewers... this has caused a strange mixed reaction in people who simply don't understand the attraction to the show. In a culture where the Masculine is looked apon as the best one can be, to have males enjoying a show with "colorful pastel pony's" is just wrong.

Another reason is the internet meme's... MLP is everywhere on the internet... and this brings me to rule 34 images also. People get... weird, when it comes to animals portrayed in these types of images... though oddly people forget the myriad of images created for other shows... many involving pre-teen girls. [yes it's animated but doesn't change they're depected as underage] Sexuality seems to be a sore spot for alot of people anyway [just look at all the issues regarding same sex coupling in the world.]

Then there are haters who just jump on the bandwagon of hate because it's the "Popular thing" Hater hipsters I suppose.

Anyway in closing, neither group is wrong or right... where do I stand... well my sig would make that obvious. Still, if you want to know more, just ask, I do hope you get some more decent replies to this post.

#20 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

View PostDymitry, on 22 August 2012 - 07:50 AM, said:

I so love horse meat. Very lean, melts in mouth with that sweet after-taste....Mmmh...I wonder how Pony meat taste like...

I could tell, but then I would have to kill you! :P
And yes... horse meat is very tasty. I have a butcher around the corner who is specialized in it.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users