Let there be... Wut?

88 replies to this topic

#21 Apocalypse4987

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

View PostDymitry, on 22 August 2012 - 07:50 AM, said:

I so love horse meat. Very lean, melts in mouth with that sweet after-taste....Mmmh...I wonder how Pony meat taste like...

Taste like a pure rainbow covered with diamonds. And smell... smells like victory :P

#22 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

Why would a 13 year old girl be participating on a fandom website anyway? If she simply wanted to follow the show, there's official websites and forums where behavior is very strictly enforced. If she wants to follow the fandom, then she takes the responsibility of visiting websites frequented by men and women of all ages.

This is the internet. If somebody doesn't want their younger daughter to interact with people of various ages online, then they shouldn't let her be online in the first place.

And no, bronies are not just 40+ y/o men who watch the show. It's a collection of men and women of all ages, from 13-40 y/o. It's no different than interacting on YouTube, Reddit, Facebook, etc.

Your coworker's argument doesn't hold much water, because he makes it under the assumption that bronies are a group of older degenerate males only, when in reality, it's actually a pretty balanced mix of males and females of all ages.

#23 Fl3tcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

This could be bad. . because not only do I enjoy watching MlP FiM, but also playing childish computer games featuring big stompy robots. :P

Seriously though, like any fandom MlP has it's good side and it's bad side and as is usual it's the bad side that gets most of the time in the spotlight. This year myself and 6 friends dressed as the main characters out of MLP FiM (that's the ponies themselves and Spike. . if you know who he is) and ran the London Marathon for charity. Together we made almost £19,000 for research into Muscular dystrophy.

Don't allow a few bronies cloud your view of the entire fandom, some of us really are decent human beings.

#24 Bjarnulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 175 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

*jump*
well I really don´t understand all this...must be cause i´m german :P
the only forum where i see so much MLP stuff is here...and it infected me... no wonder. I´m an anime fan.
(also this strange thing named BattleTech,Firefly,Babylon5, P&P-RPGs ect.)

could it be that this is all with hatred an so is an only american problem?...sometimes both sides seems to be a littl..well... dumb... nicely said.

#25 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

View PostBjarnulf, on 22 August 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

*jump*
well I really don´t understand all this...must be cause i´m german :P
the only forum where i see so much MLP stuff is here...and it infected me... no wonder. I´m an anime fan.
(also this strange thing named BattleTech,Firefly,Babylon5, P&P-RPGs ect.)

could it be that this is all with hatred an so is an only american problem?...sometimes both sides seems to be a littl..well... dumb... nicely said.

Lots of hate out of europe too... oddly. Mostly England, but other areas aswell.

Primarily however, it is focused on America, as that's where the show was originally released and localized.

#26 Malavos

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

Burn the heretics!

#27 Lokust

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouthern Michigan

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

My two year old likes the show, so I see it on occasion. As kids shows go it is well executed and well written. The show supports values that I believe in and isn't absolutely inane like Bob the Builder or Spongebob. It's basically one of three shows that I'm happy that he likes to watch, with the other two being Fraggle Rock and Yo Gabba Gabba. I wouldn't watch it on my own but it's sometimes amusing even to adults.

Edited by Lokust, 22 August 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#28 BMRX

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 22 August 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

*snip*Awesome post.*snip*

Interesting, so it's not known why the MLP show is so popular amongst older men? That is odd indeed, I am taught in the ways of "must be a man!" but never was I told that the TV shows or Art that you enjoy truly define how manly you are... So it doesn't really make sense to me. But I get it in a way. Kind of... ish.

This thread is going a lot better than I had anticipated.

On the topic of eating horse meat, ya'll can either add to the topic at hand or please take it else where.
I do agree on the taste of horse meat but it is not what is being discussed. Thank you.

#29 M4NTiC0R3X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

man + woman + horse = explicit

Ask yourself, "Who in this world doesn't enjoy a good ride!?"

Edited by M4NTiC0R3X, 22 August 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#30 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

View PostHell Grunt, on 22 August 2012 - 05:28 AM, said:

Find 100 forums not about about MLP and 100 forums not about W40K, see how many W40K threads you find compared to MLP threads.

*Hint*: Very, very few, MLP is just a shield created by 4chan to tame mods and troll at will since we can't stop the infestation as the mods simply allow it... I can't even enter the MWO portal without getting MLP thrust into my face.

You may well be right there; I can't comment on that. And I could certainly appreciate the constant annoyance of seeing that around the internet (the "oh no, not that again" feeling is something we all know on the interwebz). I guess I'm just noting that within the confines of these forums, it's the anti-pony crowd that at least subjectively seems to me to be the ones who keep doing this, keep posting more threads, keep bringing it up, over and over and over. MLP was never thrust into anyone's face here; it's in one thread in the of topic section of the off topic forums. It's been "thrust" into your face about as much as PC power supplies have been thrust in your face (actually, far less; there's far more of those threads). The anti-pony sentiments, however, have seemed to be far more relentless; they're not even discussing anything -whereas the bronies are at least just trading stuff about themselves for their own amusement- so much as just trying to remind us all, over and over and over and over again that they dislike something, as if it were their mission in life to MAKE SURE we know. They even go in and spam and troll the MLP thread (or did; they've now finally been told to stop), as though it was also their mission in life to make sure bronies couldn't enjoy MLP. I don't give a damn about MLP; there are real fictional franchises to follow. Still, it's damned annoying.

And so, within the confines of these forums, the MLP crowd has really caused far less disruption than their detractors, imo. Everywhere else is, well, everywhere else, and I won't comment there. If the MLP crowd truly is so bad everywhere else, all I can say is that they SHOULD be called out there, but it isn't suddenly the mission of MLP haters to "take revenge" for that fact by spamming these forums.

View PostRiin Suul, on 22 August 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

the reason that they have been only on one thread is that they were forbidden to taint the rest of the forums, and given their own little place to congregate.

if this were not the case, I am sure they would be all over the place.

Hmm, you may have a point there, and many would seem to corroborate you there. However, now that that's been done, and they are so contained, should that not be the end of it?

#31 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

Well, the draw for lots of men is... I think in part, the same kind of draw that Sailor Moon had on men when it came out... believe it or not, shows with a strong female cast seems to draw in male viewers... be it animated or not [or animated horses]

Buffy- female centric, mostly male viewers.
Charmed- female centric, lots of male viewers.
MLP: Female centric, tons of male viewers as of FiM.

#32 Sesambrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostRiin Suul, on 22 August 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

the reason that they have been only on one thread is that they were forbidden to taint the rest of the forums, and given their own little place to congregate.

if this were not the case, I am sure they would be all over the place.

On that note, I've been here since this website went live and I haven't seen any ponies in here before the pony-topic was created and except for the occasional meme here and there, there has never been any pony-spam even before we were asked to keep it to one topic.
To be frank those memes aren't worse than memes from any other fandom you usually see aplenty on every forum but as soon as it's a pony-meme people get upset for some reason...

I don't care who likes ponies, bronies or whatever and who doesn't, I just don't like seeing wild assumptions and accusations being made against people without having any proof. It's comments like this, that turn the whole discussion into a witch-hunt...

View PostJade Kitsune, on 22 August 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

Well, the draw for lots of men is... I think in part, the same kind of draw that Sailor Moon had on men when it came out... believe it or not, shows with a strong female cast seems to draw in male viewers... be it animated or not [or animated horses]

Guesses as to why that is?

Can't say it was true for myself...

#33 Bjarnulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 175 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 22 August 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

....errm....not guilty...
in the namend cases...yet...
but yeah, right. only thing: in germany you can´t watch this on TV without earcancer....

#34 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

View PostMalavos, on 22 August 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

Burn the heretics!

her·e·tic
   [n. her-i-tik; adj. her-i-tik, huh-ret-ik] S

noun
a professed believer who maintains religious opinions contrary to those accepted by his or her church or rejects doctrines prescribed by that church.
Roman Catholic Church . a baptized Roman Catholic who willfully and persistently rejects any article of faith.
anyone who does not conform to an established attitude, doctrine, or principle.

OK what one of those three meanings does enjoying a children's cartoon fall under?

#35 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

The main reason why I dislike MLP threads is they are popping up everywere.
Regardless how improper the respectiv thematic or location for rainbow sparkel twinkle twinkle magic is.
Recall the Caustic Valley announcment video and now try to blend some MLP chars in it....it simply ruins the atmosphere.
What winds me up is you get this hillarious stuff pushed in your face and can't do anything about it.
In contrary. If you express your wish for beeing left alone with this stuff u get insulted as haters and not even the moderators do anything about it.
Somebody who used a meme that asked if its possible that someone who hates haters is a hater himself got reported and respective post deleted.
I belive most of the MLP stuff that is beeing posted is simply trolling with a don't get banned for it card attached to the post.
But thats only my 5 cent.

#36 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

Liking something you don't like is not trolling it just means that people like something you don't.

#37 Hidran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Just stay neutral. It keeps you safe from the flame wars.

#38 HeroicTofu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the Ford Galaxy

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

I haven't posted much one way or the other as far as the Pony fandom goes. Personally, I do enjoy the show and so do a good deal of my friends. I will admit, right here, right now, that when my one friend suggested I watch "My Little Pony", my first thought was "...you're joking right? Why would I watch a show for little girls?"

But, being an open minded individual, I decided to dive in. Admittedly, at first, I was like "Meh. Kay. It's alright." But certain episodes of the show (Party of One, an episode in which the character Pinkie Pie totally snaps and has a mental breakdown) brought much enjoyment and I kinda got hooked from there. All in all, it took me about 8 months to watch season 1 on and off, season 2 went much faster.

So what do I like about it? Honestly, I started to appreciate the character development, the hidden jokes (You know, those jokes that get by censors but are clearly intended for adults to help keep em interested while they watch a show with their kids), and it was a nice change of pace from the depressing state of the world we've been living in. It was nice to have a bit of sunshine here and there to put a little smile on my face!

Anyway. I'm on the lesser end of the spectrum of pushy "Bronys", I will talk about the show, I may even suggest watching an episode, but after that, I've said my piece and move on. Because that isn't my only interest. Is it my fav show ever? No. Mythbusters get's that title. Fav animated show? No, that either goes to Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei or Gundam Wing. Or for non anime, I might argue Animaniacs. Would I go out of my way to watch it if the Chicago Blackhawks are playing (Please come back hockey season, srsly!)? Heck no. But again, it puts a smile on my face, so kinda hard to complain!

That's my 2 cents.

#39 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 22 August 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

Recall the Caustic Valley announcment video and now try to blend some MLP chars in it....it simply ruins the atmosphere.
What winds me up is you get this hillarious stuff pushed in your face and can't do anything about it.

And now tell us when and where that happend. If it was pushed into your face, it should not have been the Pony thread, and if no moderator did something about it, the thread should still exist. Accusation is one thing... now show us proof!

#40 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

I'd actually forgotten about the whole damned thing, and I'm sure most others did too, until you brought it up.
However, I will state that my first foray into the pony threads was one of the most harrowing experiences I've ever had on the forums, or the internet as a whole. I'd taken a look at one when I saw it on the home page under 'pop topics' or what have you. I wandered over there, and what I experienced was one of the most heated and continuous arguments I'd ever seen.

Someone wondered what all the fuss about ponies was, and it started a flame war that lasted over 3-5 pages. I still shudder about it, and my mindset on the matter has darkened considerably.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users