Taking a stand (when I really shouldn't have to)

44 replies to this topic

#1 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:50 AM

But, why is the J-word, IE that thing the Word of Blake launches on the Inner Sphere in 3067, blocked from the forums?

Seen here.

I understand not wanting to upset anyone, but considering the word's close ties to Battletech and that it's not really considered a taboo word offline, does it really have to be blocked?

Sorry, just another citizen of the United States attempting to force the 1st amendment on the rest of you. :(

Edited by dervishx5, 26 August 2012 - 04:52 AM.

#2 FreejackeR

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:10 AM

1st amendment has no right nor authority on the internet as its global and not purely based in the United States you can only exercise your 1st amendment right if this site was located in USA and you would be right to (I think not 100% sure), but as Prianha is Canadian also IGP are Canadian and I don't think they have any 1st amendment in Canada, and USA members cannot enforce the 1st amendment rights as in the Bill of rights.

Also when I Ping the forum site it gives an IP which is located in Germany

So your basis of arguement or gripe is at fault, as the 1st amendment does not cover Germany or Canada, you will need to adhear to the forum rules and accept what you are allowed to do and not allowed to do.

You are free to create a USA website and vent your Chosen J-words as much as you like, but it appears not on here.

Sorry

FreejackeR -out.

Edited by FreejackeR, 26 August 2012 - 04:14 AM.

#3 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:19 AM

Geehad is not offensive. I was not pushing my rights on here, just suggesting that it's rather silly to ban it. Try to understand humor, you brits are SUPPOSED to be good at it.

That's also the most overblown and missing the point to the topic post I've seen in a while. Is your profession in the field of Truism?

#4 RevancheCBT

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:24 AM

And the First Amendment limits the US Government from restricting speech. No where does it prevent non-US government entities or people from limiting speech.

The more you know...

(Maybe he missed your attempt at humor -as I did- because it wasn't clearly made.)

Edited by RevancheCBT, 26 August 2012 - 04:28 AM.

#5 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:29 AM

Eh, fair enough, I'll amend it.

Ha, puns.

#6 Mordino

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 72 posts
  • LocationEU/RF

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:30 AM

Hm, that is strange. Afaik word "crusade" is not forbidden anythere. And it is kinda the same thing. :]

Edited by Mordino, 26 August 2012 - 04:32 AM.

#7 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:42 AM

Canadians have the right to free speech, and "Jehad" is not considered offensive. who would consider it this way?

//-//

O.P. i don't like how you take criticism and can't seem to understand that any conflict in post #2 was more about on the U.S. focused viewpoint then the topic in discussion.

Edited by zudukai, 26 August 2012 - 04:43 AM.

#8 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:50 AM

Except my comment about the US focused viewpoint was a joke.

That's why his response completely missed the point.

#9 Chrystoph

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:50 AM

Missed point or not, nannyism is annoying, whatever the source. This is especially true when you expect adult behavior of your participants.

Words are symbols, and offense can be taken regardless of the meaning or intent.

Post a cute kitten video, and the cat haters will revile you for it.

Nannyism is just a lame attempt to not offend people that will kvetch anyway.

Edited by Chrystoph, 26 August 2012 - 04:53 AM.

#10 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:51 AM

Which is about, why is the word Jeehad banned on this board?

#11 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:57 AM

I don't think it's about whether the word itself is offensive or not, PGI just have to take a stand somewhere in regards to the canon storyline. And, to be fair, I'd be okay with censoring perfectly innocent uses of a word if it allowed my to expunge the travesty that was the Word of Blake Yeehah'd from my mind. Pity they didn't censor "Devlin", "Stone" or "Dark Ages" as well...

(/derailing)

#12 Sesambrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

:(
You guys have nothing else to worry about?
the wordfilter on these forums is ******** (r e t a r d e d)! For example can anyone explain to me what "special" meaning the word **** (m e m o) hast to justify censoring it?

If I was to write: "**** you!" for some reason, what do you think people would think I said? :(

#13 Orclev

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:27 AM

I'm pretty sure that Piranha, the USA, Canada, mole men and the flying spaghetti monster have nothing to do with the problem here. Though I am sure Piranha does have the choice to unblock the word for canon sake, they probably didn't choose it. That would imply that a game company made a fully functioning forum system letter by letter from scratch just for the sake of having users post on it, instead of just grabbing a prebuilt solution from somewhere and customizing it for 15 mins.

It is the fault of some pencil pushing bureaucrat type with the sole mission of offending the least amount of people possible without censoring every English word in existence. This guy probably doesn't even work for Piranha.

#14 Orclev

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:32 AM

View PostChrystoph, on 26 August 2012 - 04:50 AM, said:

Missed point or not, nannyism is annoying, whatever the source. This is especially true when you expect adult behavior of your participants.

Words are symbols, and offense can be taken regardless of the meaning or intent.

Post a cute kitten video, and the cat haters will revile you for it.

Nannyism is just a lame attempt to not offend people that will kvetch anyway.

Also, well said. We could just start making up offensive things to say and they only hold what meaning we place on them. The exercise while it may seem necessary is pointless and ineffective. You silly-saddled backwards ice sculptures! ( that means "**** you ******* ****s ***** **** **** *** ******* **** **** all day")

Edited by Orclev, 26 August 2012 - 05:33 AM.

#15 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:34 AM

Frack you.

#16 Arfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationMianus, CT

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:49 AM

View PostSesambrot, on 26 August 2012 - 04:58 AM, said:

:(
You guys have nothing else to worry about?
the wordfilter on these forums is ******** (r e t a r d e d)! For example can anyone explain to me what "special" meaning the word **** (m e m o) hast to justify censoring it?

If I was to write: "**** you!" for some reason, what do you think people would think I said? :(

**** is censored?

****!
****!
****!

That was kinda fun.

#17 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

Of course, Crusade is apparently perfectly okay. Cultural bias much?

#18 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 26 August 2012 - 03:50 AM, said:

But, why is the J-word, IE that thing the Word of Blake launches on the Inner Sphere in 3067, blocked from the forums?

Seen here.

I understand not wanting to upset anyone, but considering the word's close ties to Battletech and that it's not really considered a taboo word offline, does it really have to be blocked?

Sorry, just another citizen of the United States attempting to force the 1st amendment on the rest of you. :(

these forums are technically private property. you are a guest here, and even as a paying customer you must agree to your host's rules or they will most definitely exercise their right to refuse service, which they can exercise at any time even without a reason, although they'd rather keep you as a customer, which is why they prefer to censor and delete opposed to banning, although it happens in extreme (as defined by them) cases.

since this is the internet, where at least 40% of the userbase is offended at any given time, the word we're talking about in particular has the potential to cause some drama, and drama is something a business owner doesn't want on their property as it has the potential to drive away customers, and in entertainment terms, sour the experience for others.

do I agree with the censoring of language and information? no. But I respect pgi's right to run their business however they want, and since I want to be here, I have to follow them as closely as humany possible or be subjected to several levels of punishment for breaking the agreement for being here.

I'm no patron saint, having my own share of bannings in other places, but when you have the rest of the internet to talk about your beliefs and you choose to do them somewhere it's not tolerated socially or otherwise, then complaining (not saying you are so don't feel victimized) makes you look the fool.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 26 August 2012 - 06:17 AM.

#19 Ghostrider45

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationThibodaux La, 70301

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:41 AM

It's A word It can be used Help are Curse Pain All in How you US IT!!!!!! PS some people just can't get over them self'ves they have to BE P C!!

#20 Aetam

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

Well I can understand why you would not want a word censored that is used in the lore. On the other hand are you sure they wrote the filter themselves? I mean there must be libraries for stuff like that, I cant imagine that everyone who has a forum would take the time himself to compile a filter and your J-word is probably part of most filters.
Now that being said I am pretty sure we will survive without that word. And better to filter a few words too many since we are in the internet where a word like pony is enough to incite flame wars.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users