#21 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 06 February 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

I'm confused. Where exactly is it confirmed we can purchase Mech (Repair) Bays?

It is almost supper time, so I cannot really go look for it. But I do believe if my memory serves me right here, that Bryan said something along the lines of mech bays are purchasable...

#22 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 06 February 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

It is almost supper time, so I cannot really go look for it. But I do believe if my memory serves me right here, that Bryan said something along the lines of mech bays are purchasable...

Well I'm never one to interrupt a man's din din, so grub on.

Going on the assumption that you can buy a Mech Bay, this just might mean that you have a reserved bay at your base when you play. It might cost you C-Bills to even have it deployed. If it is, chances are it's reserved just for you, but would still require to you fall back all the way to your base in order to make use of it; and also, I would almost bet that using it would not be free.

A nice pro/con could work vs. repairing on/out of the battlefield.

Mech Bay (In Game) vs. Out of Battle Storage

Repair/Refit Takes Time vs. Instant Repair/Refit
10% discount in expenses vs. Base expenses
Lost limbs cannot be repaired vs. Full Repairs possible

There's quite a few ways I'm sure they could ensure that the item doesn't provide a massive handicap over other players who don't have one. Plus, if they make it so you can use C-Bills to buy one as well as real money, it's not Pay 2 Win.

#23 Alabamatick

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

The only p2win game break in my opinion is the "Gold" ammo, if MWO implements such an overpowered pay 2 win concept, I will spend a fraction of the real currency (if any) than I would otherwise.

I play W.O.T and it's not just gold ammo, it's also premium tanks and premium accounts as they get favourable tier spreads in the matchmaker, (which sucks btw), it's what spoilt BF heroes and it will spoil war inc battle zone, hopefully it won't happen here :D

There are other ways to make money such as unique cammo, logo's and (xp acceleration (without game changing advantages)), that's fine
but if its p2w it's another spoil ;)

Edited by Alabamatick, 06 February 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#24 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Can someone explain the concept of WoT "Gold Ammo" for those who don't play it so that we're not left in the dark?

#25 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Do we even know, specifically, what the term "'Mech Bay" implies? It seems as if it could mean a few different things.

#26 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

I was wanting to ask about mech bays myself, but will look later if no one posts.

Second, another thing to consider is you don't have to level to Elite status on EVERY mech you pilot. If it's just a stepping stone to your preferred mech, then just swap it when you max it. Once you get a mech you want to keep, then worry about maxxing out all the variants.

Also I don't see a problem with someone buying mechs in the cash shop. I will save my c-bills and buy a Shadow Hawk when the time comes. If you want to Paypal yours, cool. I get to see one in action!! ;)

#27 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostBrakkyn, on 06 February 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Do we even know, specifically, what the term "'Mech Bay" implies? It seems as if it could mean a few different things.

I would think, "No", not yet. We're all running on speculation ;)

But, if it's what is traditionally thought of as a Mech Bay, then it is an immobile area, usually located at a base, which can house a single Mech and provide in-game repairs (usually sans missing limbs) as well as refitting (ammo, coolant, etc.). It works in tandem with a Mech Hangar, which is usually a larger building that houses individual inner bays for storage of Mechs (or for the sake of the game, a deployment location).

But, again, it's nothing but good ol speculation. :D

#28 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

More speculation - It could just be for module/weapon storage. That way you could outfit your mech match to match for free vs trading your current module/weapon for a new one at a loss. That's not P2W, it is just inconvenient.

Edit: It wouldn't impact you at all if you are running the same set up more often than not.

Edited by Ravn, 06 February 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#29 Maximilian Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of a Mech battle

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...munity-warfare/

{Excerpt taken from link above.]

"...Do factions have access to unique mechs or weapons? -cobrafive

[BRYAN] No. Prices may vary, but everyone has equal access to items..."

http://mwomercs.com/...e-free-to-play/

{Excerpt taken from link above.]

"...Now let's talk about Pay-To-Win, the red-headed step child (no offense to all the red heads, we really do love you).
There are those who will rumble about Pay-2-Win, which equates to the person with the biggest wallet winning. I'm not going to lie, some things can and will allow you to acquire items faster, or even instantly with real cash..."

http://penny-arcade....crotransactions

[Please review the above link...it is a very informative presentation on free-to-pay systems and cash shops.]

Here's the thing: Unless I totally missed it, the Devs have not said Mechs won't be in the cash shop. Instead, the Devs have said there will not be exclusive Mechs in the cash shop. This tells me that all Mechs may be available for purchase in the cash shop, or as another option, a player can choose to grind for C-Bills and purchase those same Mechs.

Being able to buy a Mech, instead of grinding for it, is not a tactical advantage.
That being said, if you could only buy a certain Mech in the cash shop...exclusive to the cash shop...and that Mech was basically unobtainable through grinding...then that would be a tactical advantage.
Offering items that could be gained by either the cash shop and/or grinding is not a tactical advantage...one method is just slower than the other.

Edited by Maximilian Thorn, 06 February 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#30 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 06 February 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

Can someone explain the concept of WoT "Gold Ammo" for those who don't play it so that we're not left in the dark?

It is ammo that provides additional penetration and damage above normal (in game purchased) ammo. When added to the upper tier tanks (and arty) it's pretty devastating (and readily apparent in the Clan War Conquest mode where you can easily get 1 shotted by arty even when it's a near miss...if you run a medium).

They also have camo and consumables that are bought with RLC that provide bonuses, slap all that on a permium real life cash only tank (that makes hellified loot even when you lose a round, but are absurdedly expensive, at least the Lowe is) and you have a very nice recipe for suck soup, of the P2W variety.

It is a pretty game though, and that's enough to placate the sheep.

Edited by Kaemon, 06 February 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#31 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

Only mechs that should be in a cash shop would be non tactically advantageous mechs. IE the awesomesauce Mackie! Sure it is an Assault mech at 100 tons, has two PPC and a Autocannon, and was still in production up until the Amaris Coup by the Terran Hegemony...

#32 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

Is a Premium Urbie a Tactical Advantage™?

hmmm...*ponders*

#33 armitage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostKaemon, on 06 February 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

Is a Premium Urbie a Tactical Advantage™?

hmmm...*ponders*

Most people believe this to be a dropship, I believe they are really showing us the urbanmech
Posted Image

Edited by armitage, 06 February 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#34 guardiandashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

part of the issue would be a definition of mech bay.

in battletech lore on a base mechs are typically stored in a hanger which "may" contain mech bays

combat deployment dropships definately have storage cubicles which are called mech bays.

basically the dropship mech bays include several key componants.
1 they are a storage space for a mech
2 they give access to repair facilities capable of doing "maintenance" level repairs and refits as opposed to "field" and do not provide "factory" level refit access
3 combat dropships are in part defined by the "bays" they incorperate a leopard dropship comes in 2 major versions, Leopard, with 2 fighter bays and 4 mech bays (default) and leopard CV which removes the 4 mech bays for an additional 4 fighter bays making it a dedicated fiter transport.
4 dropships with "bays" can carry units in a combat ready configuration, and also may deploy the units using a "drop" method, dropships without bays are forced to transport units as cargo, which means instaid of the atlas in the bay being able to deploy in a minute (or less) it may take an hour to unload the atlas before it can be deployed.

if we use bays in the world of tanks sense ... it is a place for your account to store your 1 or more mech chassis typically 1 per "bay"

#35 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 06 February 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

I'm confused. Where exactly is it confirmed we can purchase Mech (Repair) Bays?

They haven't specifically mentioned bays AKAIK. However in the round of interviews just before xmas they mentioned mechs would be purchasable. I would bet money its a similar system to LOL champions where you can buy them with riot points or save up IP and buy them that way too.

#36 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Hope that this is not a stretch but we can assume, when you create you first in-game account you will be provided a Mech (available choices may be limited but the need to build a Lance configuration should be made available) ?

Not everyone gets a Light to start, but can BUY another Mech from the Shop, with RLC, immediately after Log in if so desired?

Edited by MaddMaxx, 07 February 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#37 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 07 February 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

Hope that this is not a stretch but we can assume, when you create you first in-game account you will be provided a Mech (available choices may be limited but the need to build a Lance configuration should be made available) ?

Not everyone gets a Light to start, but can BUY another Mech from the Shop, with RLC, immediately after Log in if so desired?

The way I'd do it is give each player a pile of credits and let them buy whatever they can afford.

#38 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 07 February 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

The way I'd do it is give each player a pile of credits and let them buy whatever they can afford.

That makes sense as well, but with the Atlas@ 9.6M, the Hunchy and Cent@ 3.2 -3.5M and a Jenner@ 3.2M do you provide ALL with 10M to assure the Assault Mech is doable if players wish it to start?

#39 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

My hope is you get a slection of a light, medium or a heavy to start off in. Assaults would need cbills or cash.

#40 guardiandashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

one of the ask the devs questions was can you start in an assault, and the answer was yes

frankly this is where I toss in my $0.02 and say that I can see 2 ways of going on start.

option 1 everyone starts with the same amount of cbills and you buy whatever mech you want/can afford
option 2 everyone starts with a pool of "char points" that you get certain benifits and disadvantages based on "role" and some options increase or decrease the pool of cbills that can be used to purchase mechs

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users