97 replies to this topic

#1 Anton Lysenko

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOverton, TX USA

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

I was looking over the F2P thread (http://mwomercs.com/...e-free-to-play/) and came across this wonderous quote:

We're doing away with the arms race and making BattleMechs of all shapes and sizes have a purpose and role on the battlefield. . . .Maybe you're a commander type, who loves to multitask, directing fire support, air strikes, and multiple lances in a mech suitable to that role.

Ok, I'm sold on this idea; this is the role I want: the commander. Not to tell be what to do, but to be the one to make it all come together. I can see myself in an Orion coordinating a 'mech company on a raid.

That's usually what I play in games. LOTRO: Captain. Tabletop D&D: Cleric. Super RPG/CoH MMO: A tank or Patriotic Leader/Tank/Brick. Traveller RPg: Noble/Space Marine Officer. Star Wars RPg: Soldier/Consular Jedi. SWTOR breaks the mold: Sith Juggernaunt (although that IS a tank!).

So...how do you see yourself serving the Eagle?

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

For me, the available 'Mechs will determine what role I take to some extent. Assuming acceptable 'Mechs are available at the start, I foresee being a Scout primarily with some Assault mixed in. I'll likely try all four roles up to a point.

#3 ShoveI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSolaris

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:23 AM

I'm still not too sure what role I'm going to start with. Although I would like to do a scout role, it looks as if there are going to be quite a few of them to begin, as well as a good number of commanders. Once March hits and we get info on mech warfare plus the devs have promised a plethora of overall info, I will make a more solid choice on the role I'm gonna pick. But, if I were to pick now, it would most likely be assault/defense.

#4 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:26 AM

For me, anything that does not require you to go light or assault is plausible.

I love strategy games and everything about things like that, but in this one, you are not on your own.
It is like Savage (RPG/RTS mix) and so every tactical decision you make has 2 drawbacks:

1st: When you choose a commander, there is no coming back, you loose, it is your fault.

2nd: You can yell for centuries on them to go right, most people will always go left, either.

With that in mind, I will probably try it out, but I (as a proper tactician :o ) already have a backup plan on what to do. If I am not able to lead my team to victory, I will just stay and defend. Attack is the last choice only when the situation requires it.

#5 Thor77

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

I'm likely to be guns ablazin' assault :) I like the strategy/tactics element, so I'd consider commander too.

#6 Vincent J Magnum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 131 posts
  • LocationRegulus

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

Well we shall see what we shall see. What wed like to do and what we will end up with are 2 different things............just saying

#7 Ender97

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico, USA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

For me I am looking at command/recon. I just wonder if I well be able to start up any of the Trinity worlds units.

#8 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

I like the idea that the majority of the community wants to be in the commander role, it means there will always be someone who gives the commander bonuses to the lance so i can safely focus on getting the modules etc i need for long range fire support or brawling. ;)

#9 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

I just want to pew pew in my big robot =) I'm sure I will try out each role over time but I will definitely be playing assault first.

#10 Phorr

Rookie

• The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

Commanders will be very important, but I hope to never play as one. PUGs will be endless frustration, and hopefully I can find a regular group of FWL players with a better leader than myself to guide us to victory.

I'll probably play a fair bit of scout and assault, depending on my mood. Sometimes I am in the mood to run around and pick at people, sometimes I am in the mood to break things.

#11 ShadowGator

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

My favorite mechs overall are the Shadow Hawk, WarHammer, and Zeus, so generally I like the medium-heavies. I will generally be in some sort of force recon mode either hunting enemy scouts or probing their front lines.

#12 Mad Man Lotar

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationYour Place

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

I think a long range support mech would suit me fine. Something along the line of a Devish would be good but catapults look cool too.

#13 Vincent J Magnum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 131 posts
  • LocationRegulus

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

View PostMad Man Lotar, on 28 February 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

I think a long range support mech would suit me fine. Something along the line of a Devish would be good but catapults look cool too.

Long Range support Mech's are the unsung heros of the Gung Ho guns blazing assaults with only meds lol

#14 NikkoKilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

View PostVincent J Magnum, on 03 March 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

Long Range support Mech's are the unsung heros of the Gung Ho guns blazing assaults with only meds lol

I have fond memories of sprinting towards and taking out Dire Wolves, Mad Cats, Vultures... all from the cockpit of a Shadowcat in MW3 in BZ league games. LRM's are only as good as the opponent is with relaxed jump jets... =P

It will be interesting to see if similar dynamics are possible with the MWO physics setup.

#15 tony katdander

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Locationthe internet

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

im gonna command.im not pro at the game and judging by my fps in WoT (4 fps) i will stay back and command stuff.i also mostly have command and conquer games.commanders FTW

#16 Vincent J Magnum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 131 posts
  • LocationRegulus

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

Good point alhough that comment was tounge and cheek. It all depends on the pilots as well as the specific Mech.

#17 LackofCertainty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

To me the "commander" role that they're talking about seems more like a support role. (calling in air strikes and artillery and such) Personally, I like the idea of area denial/defense, so I'll probably load myself into the heaviest mech that can fit some arti-modules, and then load out the rest with anything I can to make myself a giant brick of armor.

#18 NikkoKilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

View PostVincent J Magnum, on 03 March 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

Good point alhough that comment was tounge and cheek. It all depends on the pilots as well as the specific Mech.

Boasting about the days of dial-up battlefield prowess might carry as much weight as the chronic lag associated with the times... but its fun as hell. Simply pointing out a broken dynamic between two polar opposite mechs. Stage the same scenario in the context of a full star of medium - close range chassis and the reality breaks down =P

#19 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

Definitely a supporting role. Id be a hit and run medium mech or a in-a-pinch brawler or scout. A jack of all trades, so long as they arent commander or scout (for too long)

#20 Victor Rykers

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTharkad, District Donegal, LC

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

I'm going for scout. In an Atlas.

Lame Lyran jokes aside I never end up playing the role I intended to when starting a new game. Examples: going into WoW I planned to play a paladin or rogue. I ended up mage. Starting the old republic I thought I go smuggler or bounty hunter. I ended up as a jedi knight. In Brink I thought of playing soldier, but spent most of my time as engineer and so on. Most of the times certain gameplay mechanics simply play out different than I expected. Thus I just try out different things until I find what suits me best in this game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users