#21 Vincent J Magnum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 131 posts
  • LocationRegulus

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:00 AM

View PostWhenKatzComes, on 03 March 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

Boasting about the days of dial-up battlefield prowess might carry as much weight as the chronic lag associated with the times... but its fun as hell. Simply pointing out a broken dynamic between two polar opposite mechs. Stage the same scenario in the context of a full star of medium - close range chassis and the reality breaks down =P

true with broadband modems the probability of modem lag is ALMOST nill but depending on th speed of the operators computer they may be still limited to a certain role. One were that time isnt of that much importance. Didnt think I was bosting bought anything lol.

View PostVictor Rykers, on 08 March 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

Lame Lyran jokes aside I never end up playing the role I intended to when starting a new game. Examples: going into WoW I planned to play a paladin or rogue. I ended up mage. Starting the old republic I thought I go smuggler or bounty hunter. I ended up as a jedi knight. In Brink I thought of playing soldier, but spent most of my time as engineer and so on. Most of the times certain gameplay mechanics simply play out different than I expected. Thus I just try out different things until I find what suits me best in this game.

Nothing wrong with using an Atlas for a scout, other than the lack of speed if your discovered your chances of survival to RTB are higher than say some lights and or Mediums. Id be interested to see that myself though lol

Edited by Vincent J Magnum, 09 March 2012 - 05:01 AM.

#22 Victor Rykers

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTharkad, District Donegal, LC

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

View PostVincent J Magnum, on 09 March 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

Nothing wrong with using an Atlas for a scout, other than the lack of speed if your discovered your chances of survival to RTB are higher than say some lights and or Mediums. Id be interested to see that myself though lol

It will depend how everything is implemented of course. But if I understand the scout-tree correctly it could give the opportunity for "surprise attacks" with an Atlas... what more do you need? I'd prefer a Woverine, Griffin or Shadow Hawk for scouting though. Quick enough to get out of trouble and armored well enough to survive a skirmish with heavier mechs.

#23 billyzero

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

All the roles sound fantastic.

Commander: Who DOESN'T want to be the strategist and lead his lance to victory??

Scout: This is the guy that everyone is counting on. Can your lance get the critical and relevant intelligence before the opposing lance does? Scouts that do their job well wil allow the commander to place their lance into a winning position. You're the linchpin. No pressure.

Strike: Although I initially thought this was the most boring role, the more I think about it, this is *the* role. The rubber meets the road. All the commanding and scouting in the world is worthless if the strike mechs can seal the deal. Plus, a great striker can make up for a lot of commander/scout deficiencies.

So to answer your question, all three sound fantstic and I'm going to have a hard time choosing.

#24 NikkoKilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

View PostVincent J Magnum, on 09 March 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

true with broadband modems the probability of modem lag is ALMOST nill but depending on th speed of the operators computer they may be still limited to a certain role. One were that time isnt of that much importance. Didnt think I was boasting about anything lol.

U werent, i was and just called myself out =P

#25 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

I think I would go for a heavy/assualt striker role heavy on the offense. Also, depending on the mechs available, i would like a long range fire support role. Nothing beats a distant enemy coming apart under a rain of LRMs or PPC fire without a chance to hit back!

#26 Karakesh Vi

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

Med. or Heavy long range support striker most likely depends on the mechs that are out

#27 Vincent J Magnum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 131 posts
  • LocationRegulus

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:59 AM

View PostKarakesh of the Spartans, on 12 March 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

Med. or Heavy long range support striker most likely depends on the mechs that are out

So far only the Catapult has been unvieled but Im sure the Blackjack (Gotta love 4 AC-2s), Jaggermech and a few others will be out shortly.

View PostWhenKatzComes, on 09 March 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

U werent, i was and just called myself out =P

hehehehe dont ya hate when that happens?

#28 tPagen

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 73 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

I'd probbably go with scout. Maybe when things get ugly I'll go annoy an enemy with a few lasers here... a missle there... and let my lancemates do the rest.

#29 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

I'm thinking of having 3 variants of the same chassis, each customized for a different battlefield role. I'm not particularly interested in being a commander. This way I can fill whatever role the team need, whilst always earning XP in the same mech. Looking at the Marik mechs released so far, if I was one of you folks, I'd probably be trying the idea in Hunchbacks or Awesomes, now we know how Mech-Lab works. :)

#30 Big Mek Jake

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCitrus Heights

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

I'm going to play every role except for Commander for a while just to see how they play. This way when I finally do play as a Commander I will have a good idea of what the strong and weak points are of each type of class. (I haven't played since Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries and haven't heard of half the Mechs already in the game.) I'll also have a really good feal of all the maps and will be able to coordinate my squad most effectively.

From there I'll decide which role I liked the most. (Gonna pilot a Warhammer no matter what :mellow:)

#31 HereticTLL

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationThe VIP area, Marauder 'ills, Galatea

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Any workhorse Medium will do, preferably fast. A good Heavy like the Orion or Champion I can make work well; however I'm most at home in an Assault, bringing the pain in an Awesome 9Q or grabbing some Atlas fun.

#32 Zectorman

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

View PostHereticTLL, on 07 April 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

Any workhorse Medium will do, preferably fast. A good Heavy like the Orion or Champion I can make work well; however I'm most at home in an Assault, bringing the pain in an Awesome 9Q or grabbing some Atlas fun.

View PostHereticTLL, on 07 April 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

Im with along the same lines as Heretic. Preferably Heavy Orion, im kind of a jack of all trades player. Though this is my first MW game, i need to try out all the classes and types of mechs before i find my niche.

#33 Doctor Caleb

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

I was always loved a mech that could both provide backup for the recon and flanking support fire. While the Shadow Hawk and Wolverine were good, I always prefered the Griffin. There's something about that PPC that brings fear into light recon mechs, and the speed to outmaneuver most things bigger than it. Plus I always liked how it looked.

#34 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostDoctor Caleb, on 07 April 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

I was always loved a mech that could both provide backup for the recon and flanking support fire. While the Shadow Hawk and Wolverine were good, I always prefered the Griffin. There's something about that PPC that brings fear into light recon mechs, and the speed to outmaneuver most things bigger than it. Plus I always liked how it looked.

Grand Dragon: PPC, LRM-10, 3xMedium Lasers, more armour than the Griffin, & almost certainly a starting variant. The only thing missing is the Griffin's jump jets. The high-tech variant when you unlock it is as fast as a Commando. ;)

#35 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

I'll be taking a sniper-scout role most of the time probably.
Commando COM-1C or a modified Centurion hopefully.

#36 Volturnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 294 posts
  • LocationInternational Waters

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

Scout or Assault probably, though I intend to play all roles eventually.

#37 HereticTLL

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationThe VIP area, Marauder 'ills, Galatea

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostSoviet Alex, on 08 April 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

Grand Dragon: PPC, LRM-10, 3xMedium Lasers, more armour than the Griffin, & almost certainly a starting variant. The only thing missing is the Griffin's jump jets. The high-tech variant when you unlock it is as fast as a Commando. :rolleyes:

Or just take a Vindicator off one of them Bendy Swords..... :(

#38 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

View PostHereticTLL, on 20 April 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

Or just take a Vindicator off one of them Bendy Swords..... :blink:

I can't see a Griffin fan trading down to a weaker, smaller, slower mech. :D

#39 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:31 AM

View PostLolimadeaprofile, on 05 April 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

(I haven't played since Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries and haven't heard of half the Mechs already in the game.)

Every mech they released so far has also been in the MW 2: Mercs. :D

#40 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

View PostAdridos, on 21 April 2012 - 01:31 AM, said:

Every mech they released so far has also been in the MW 2: Mercs. :blink:

But some of 'em looked different. :D *pokes the Centurion*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users