6 replies to this topic

#1 Cur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 335 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

Even if the in game footage is only 5 seconds long....

Just the first thought (surely im not alone in this) of someone whom saw the 2009 trailer, returned to the site after some time and see's MWO instead.... the first thing that pops into one's head is this.... and its realy not good....

Posted Image

Just something, even if its just a flash... to set ones mind straight on what kind of game they're looking at.

Plz confirm and raise some hype for this game by releasing say a 30sec trailer, most of it text and stationary pictures but with a flash of in game footage just so people know, even tho its's a MMO, it will still be the in cockpit game they've been wanting for so long.

#2 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

Wait for GDC. We've been promised all sorts of goodies. Im sure a trialer will be one of those.

#3 jbone

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

I'd like to see some stuff, but here is my take, having been involved with some big development projects.

<begin flow of thought mode>
1. I don't see that this is even really into a stage for in game footage to be released. Yes, we've seen that trailer for Mechwarrior (5). We are all drooling and still eager for more. At best right now I'd expect in game pics at best to come out and those only sparsely.

2. At what stage of development is the game in still... As far as I'm aware it's note even ready for closed play testing (I do not refer to it as beta, because that word has seemed to change definition in the last few years)

3. I'd rather see a classic blizzard/bioware approach to the design and implementation of this game more so than many of the other approaches I've seen in the last several years. Whatever they release is going to be analyzed in minute detail by all of us, if they drop something or add something in between versions I expect to see dozens of threads covering each minute discrepancy, that's not a bad thing or a good thing just an observation. I remember working for a tabletop publisher back in 99-05 part time, and what struck me as odd was if your marketing people dropped a hint about something people drew all kinds of whacked out conclusions, and the more you tried to be open about things to the fans the more they complained, seriously. At the same time I knew some developers who were in the OGL publishing business who kept their entire development process secret they NDA'ed the crap out of their play testers and made sure the wraps were kept down tight until about a year before when they had already finished their final drafts and were bringing in layout and artists to get the manuscripts ready for print and to being advertising. Prior to that all they did was drop some hints, about 6 months out they took the lid off and gave everyone a much better peak, by the time Origins rolled around people were nearly fighting to get a taste and when Gen Con hit in 2000 they had to drop ship those books to keep up with demand.

Here's the message of my story, you can't keep something like this under wraps, instead they will leak and keep us biting at the bit for more. Since they are in development, I must say this the design team does read this forum, and they even make their presence known, I'm kind of shocked to see staff other than community managers posting on the forum. I know they are at least taking note of our suggestions and ideas. Are these ideas we run by original, not really, but they are begin voiced and see debate amongst some of the hardcore that will be playing this game, some of us are trolls, some are just eager as heck to play. Heck after I showed the trailer to a friend last year he got a fire under his butt to start a merc campaign during the 4th succession war, I of course ended up restarting oh 4 or five times because dice based games hate me (Exalted no successes on a 32 dice thrown weapon attack, seriously. Star wars D6 I'm not allowed to ever play a pilot again as I went 8 of 10 rolls with ones on the wild dice as a startship pilot, I have many many more)

Anyway before I digress into sleep deprived babbling (wait I'm already there probably), I just want to say, we will get to see more an more, this gets to be even more true as things come closer to beta. I wouldn't be surprised to see if the folks in development grab some folks make then sell their soul, sew their mouth shut (and still sign a couple NDA's that means their first born will be sacrificed to some blood god if they utter a word even in their sleep).

If I had a request I'd ask for an in game photo showing the terrain engine maybe, maybe a mech, something of coming attractions. But let's see what marketing and the design team think is best, it's not like I'm gonna stop wanting to cruise the forums because I'm not getting way.

<End flow of thought>

Well time to grab a cup of joe and go cruise the forums and pass out...

PS. Melee mechs rock

#4 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:15 AM

This topic is old and the Devs feelings on this are well established; we get nothing until the time (and the product), according to them, is right.

And that's fine by me.

It amazes me the number of people who assume the devs don't release things like videos and screen shots just because they don't want to or something.

#5 Cur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 335 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

This is a suggestions forum, i made this thread for that specific reason....

So i'll say it again for those whom missed the important parts and went on the "oh look they want footage burn them" crusade.

As a person whom Saw the 2009 Trailer, and has not kept tabs on development, and has come back say... today.... to see what they knew as Mechwarrior Rebooted turn into Mechwarrior Online....

The first thing that comes to ones head when they think of "Mechwarrior MMO" - is exactly what i made in that picture.

A top down view mechcommander like game filled with Wow... er... Battletech players.

I am also of the understanding that the Engine that the game was running when we saw the 2009 trailer has been junked and another chosen, meaning the 2009 trailer is now completely irrelivant to the game that is being designed/made today.

I was suggesting .WHENEVER THEY ARE READY. Not once did i imply nor demand something immediately, that a trailer be made, even if its a very short one, with only a flash of actual game footage if any at all, hell could be all cgi or what not, be released to help remove the misconception of what Mechwarrior Online will actualy be like.

Not everyone on these forums has been checking religiously every day, and knows exactly what color underware or what cereal the devs eat for breakfast. The aim of this thread was to point out that someone whom loves mechwarrior, saw the 2009 trailer, lost track of this because of the "dead silence" period we had after the trailer.... and comes back to see Mechwarrior Online in it's stead - that the first thing that comes to mind is the picture in my origional post, which caused Great dissapointment, even tho its in no way warranted.

A re-assurance that the game will still be played from inside the cockpit, with a joystick was what im hinting at.

Constructive critcizm would be awesome, ie, thankyou Jbone. A screenshot would also do the same job. I was merely putting forwarth the suggestion of a trailer as its the first thing that came to my head as a means of solving the issue. Something that gave away too much of the game would not be cool either, i understand NDA's and all that, but how to solve the first impression that Mechwarrior Online would resemble something like Mechcommander is what i was attempting to address.

And, damn , i just realised yall are so defensive of the game/devs and the reasons behind it. But please ease up as a flamesuit was not provided apon entry, and it can be intimidating for someone relatively "new" to this scene thats trying to bring in constructive imput and ideas with good intentions.

P.S - What is GDC please?

Edited by Cur, 09 February 2012 - 06:33 AM.

#6 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

Game Developer's Conference, first week of March.

You'll get your video and screenshots then, they've stated this numerous times all over the place. They aren't releasing stuff that isn't Beta ready, like other companies have done and then you see nothing from them for years. There is a marketing approach that has to be taken, to generate interest in the game as well. Showing a sub-par product, or a product that is not polished enough, will do more harm than good. This is the nature of the world we live in, so just be patient, it will come very soon.

Edited by Dihm, 09 February 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#7 jbone

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

Cur, no worries, I'm not trying to start a flamewar, I do get defensive about devs and such because I've been on the other side, not in a video game, but I've seen the pressure that people bring to bear as such. I'm not some paladin riding to defend people just making my opinion known.

I'd lik to see what they have to show after the GDC, maybe they are gonna make an appearance with catalyst at Gama, which would be another nice place to drop some more tidbits.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users