• Facebook: Link
  • LocationHagerstown ,MD

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

skadi is an atlai comander >.>

#23 tbpimaster

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

I would really love to see the Mad Cat released...
And while I'm wishing, add Uziel too!

#24 WardenWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

I just have to say, BEST ASK THE DEVS EVER!!! And I am only on answer #2 yet!!!!

Thanks Garth! :)

#25 Lazer Blazer

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationIn a mech somewhere

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

Q: Where is BattleMech 16? [Everyone]
A: It’s done. Marketing asked us to save it for something super special. [BRYAN]

Marketing :)

#26 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 27 August 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

Q: How often can we expect new chassis and maps to be released, during open beta and "going live"? [TrashcanDan]
A: We plan to release a minimum of one new BattleMech design + variants per month. Our goal is to produce 2 a month post launch. Maps take much longer to develope, around 3 months. We expect to release maps on a regular cadence starting in late October. If you averaged it out, probably 6 maps + variants per year. Currently we are working on alternate versions of the 4 announced maps and two new maps, desert and something unannounced. [BRYAN]

Honestly, the part on the maps is kind of shocking. I'm familiar enough with the Sandbox to know that 3 months per map is actually a bit extreme in a situation like this; an all outdoor map centered around terrain, with tons of polish, should probably be closer to one month assuming at least one level designer and an asset modeler or two.

Long story short is I think it would be extremely worthwhile for PGI to hire another mapper to bolster their current setup. While it's unfortunate to pay for another employee and all, being able to up that to a new map every month would be a drastic improvement for the game.

Again I realize the asset modeling for each map takes time, but not every map needs lots of assets; just look at Caustic Valley. There's enough models in the game now that you should be able to make very awesome DZ areas without even really making new models.. long story short and no offense meant, maps that are height data focused like that one took players in Living Legends (also using Sandbox) about two weeks to make and polish.

Example: This map was done by our own Jace Nevada in about two weeks of part-time work. Jace isn't in the industry even. I realize a lot of time would have gone to the textures & assets to make said map for scratch, but MWO has a library large enough not many would be required. I give you Northwind:

This isn't a "Hire Jace, he makes great MechWarrior maps" kind of thread. Like I said, he's not in the industry; rather I'm just pointing out that if someone that's new to Sandbox can make a map as polished and well playing as this in a couple weeks by themselves, adding some more experienced map designers could easily pick up the pace dramatically. I think the cost spent by PGI would be well worth countering the burnout of having such a limited selection of maps on release.

EDIT: I realize some maps could easily take longer than others. The more assets that are required and the tighter it's packed, the longer it will take. Still, many of us would love more open, hilly maps and there's definitely room for both styles.

Edited by Victor Morson, 28 August 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#27 Riin Suul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

YAY! thanks for a truly great ask the devs, TONS better than the last couple of them!

#28 Cyote13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

"excellerate" really? are you guys taking bribes from Microsoft now or something?

#29 Legionn

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

View PostCyote13, on 29 August 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

"excellerate" really? are you guys taking bribes from Microsoft now or something?

Yea, that caught my eye too. Had to re-read the sentence 3 times just to make sure he really meant "accelerate" and not a new made-up conjuction word (akin to ginormous).

#30 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:15 AM

Yea, you can make today special by releasing the artwork for Battlemech 16!

#31 Dirt Valentine

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostLazer Blazer, on 28 August 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

A: It’s done. Marketing asked us to save it for something super special. [BRYAN]

Marketing ;)

^^This

Also, my money is on "something super special" = PAX... so hopefully something this weekend.

#32 Zso Sahal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

kill the marketing guys. Give us battlemech 16!

#33 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

Q: How much time do you plan on investing torward damage models? Example if the right torso is blown out on a hunchback will this be visable or do we have to take our eyes off the battlefield to look at our hud to get an idea? [PropagandaWar]
A: Most things are really obvious - some Mechs, due to shape, can make it a little tough to tell if it's missing an arm, or if it's missing a torso side and an arm (IE. The Dragon), though with others it's very obvious (the Centurion.) So we put a lot of work into it, and 95% of the time you can glance at an enemy Mech and see most of the major damage. [Garth]

Am I missing something? I can obviously see when an arm has been blown off, but I don't see any kind of structural damage on the mechs themselves from weapons fire - other than the glowing. Is this a setting I can turn on in the config files, or has it not been implemented yet?

#34 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 27 August 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

I won't sleep peacefully until I know which BattleMech is 16! :)

I hope you're happy Piranaha, my usual six hours of sleep just became that much more precious. :)

#35 SuperSixWon

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Y U NO GIMME BETA? I'm thinking of buying a Founder's pack but without being able to play, im not able to justify spending the cash due to the wife lol. It looks like a great game however. Does it or Will it have destructable environment?

#36 Klattu

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Thank You for the answers.

#37 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

oh man..dammit... my computer was broken the last 2 weeks, and i missed this... IT´S A GREAT ASK THE DEVS!!! finally much stuff for speculation! ( or did i miss the "super special " and "big deal", too? ^^)

#38 bikerbass77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 333 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Cambs, UK

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostSuperSixWon, on 29 August 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

Y U NO GIMME BETA? I'm thinking of buying a Founder's pack but without being able to play, im not able to justify spending the cash due to the wife lol. It looks like a great game however. Does it or Will it have destructable environment?

Because you have not bought a Founders pack. Buy a Founders Pack and you will have beta access. Simple.

#39 bikerbass77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 333 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Cambs, UK

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

View Postacealpha1027, on 27 August 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

WHAT ABOUT VOICE SERVERS!!!

The devs previously announced that there will be no voice server for MWO.

This makes sense as it would take resource away from other areas (like producing maps and new mechs) and there are plenty alternatives. Steam gives you VOIP for free and if you are in a gaming clan/regiment/whatever then there is usually something like a Teamspeak channel set up.

So really, adding voice servers to the game would add little and take away from other elements of the game.

#40 Youngblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationGMT -6

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:29 AM

View PostSaber Avalon, on 27 August 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

That was part of my lead up, but you didn't answer my question :D

Also, if that video is for another game, then why is it still up on this site? That's very misleading and seeing the Warhammer is what made me instantly slam down the money for a Legendary Founders pack. That could be seen as false advertising.

Whoa, okay, hold on, grabbing the reins here. You don't know the whole story.

The "Mechwarrior Reboot" trailers were for an idea pitched to publishers that didn't get any takers. Read the whole story here.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users