18 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

Not All It’s Cracked Up To Be

(30 August 3049)

There are heroic days, gents. We don’t all have the resources or luck to be Wolf’s Dragoons or the Kell Hounds or the Blue Star Irregulars. What with their heroic stands that “break them”; not trying to bust their chops or rub their noses in their losses, but for the rest of us, if that happened we’d cease to exist. Despite that gulf separating us from the biggest of the big boys, we—the grist that keeps the merc world moving—can still have our 15 minutes o’ fame.

But most of the time, it’s a grind. And in that grind, some contracts are worse than others. And at the end of those, when your soul is broker than your bank account and your body has as many dings as the armor scraps holding your ’Mechs together, you start to wonder: what in Blake’s name are ya doin’ this for?

What about that garden world, and the cushy job and the 1.2 brats…not so bad, right?

Then ya take a look around and see what others are doin’ with their free time. “League” recreationists getting into riots; the Lama something-or-other trying to create an interstellar horse derby; the Taurians and their fanaticism for their Concordat Games: are you kiddin’ me? People sure do seem to waste the free time those cushy jobs give them on different grades of steamy piles.

Not me, gents. I’ll take the grind of the merc life any day of any calendar week across all two-thousand-plus worlds of the Inner Sphere. ‘Cause every merc force worth its salt is a family. We’re there backing each other, making our lives better. What’s more, despite those grinds that can break the soul, we get those days…just a precious few here and there…but days when the white-hot spotlight of an A-class star shines down…and we’ve managed to make a difference. The universe is a better place for the good fight and the blood we’ve spilt.

Remember that the next time you’re Dispossessed, trading your last salvage for fuel to make it one more kilometer, and you’ve laid a friend into a cold grave on a forgotten world….

Keep it locked and loaded, gents.

—Jacob Hardenson, MercNet

#2 flessar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 175 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

I think I remember this from MW2:Mercs >.> Such good days....

#3 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

Reactor online, sensors online, all systems nominal.

#4 Stefano McCarron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationCity of Bochum, Planet Menke

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

McCarrons fighting for fame.
Footsteps on Davion worlds.
They have balls of steele.

Edited by Stefano McCarron, 28 August 2012 - 09:38 AM.

#5 Aurelios Salcedo

• PipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLong Beach

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

Man... that was deep... And i never read such a thing from Mechwarrior 2 Mercs, i should've checked the terminal.

#6 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

It's similar to a line unit, I wager, just with more freedom (and thus risk). Young hot-heads want to pilot a 'Mech, but don't want to be stuck doing garrison duty with the local militia. Seeing the holovids of glorious merc units, they sign up with whoever will take them. Then, one of two things happens. They either realize merc life isn't all it's cracked up to be and go home with their tails between their legs, or they realize what was written here: any decent merc unit is a family, and that loyalty is far stronger than the flag flying above your home planet's capital. I guess the Rangers kind of skirt the line, since we're loyal to each other before House Steiner, though we do get regular paychecks. Stay strong, mercs! There will always be jobs for you in the Inner Sphere.

#7 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

This is fantastic, and exactly how I would feel were it a real job.

#8 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

Cause every merc force worth its salt is a family

A 'family' whose ideals are money, and wh owill turn on an employer or their "family"for money.

Mercenaries are scum that have no morals. My job sometimes requires me to kill others for money, but my goals are to give my lord power, so that he may help the people of the Inner Sphere live a better life under his benevolent rule.

Not to kill or destroy simply for more money. Mercenaries are nothing mroe than pirates. Scum that should be eliminated.

Edited by verybad, 28 August 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#9 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

(OOC: If you weren't role-playing, I would be extraordinarily pissed B) )

#10 Sealawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationBuckminster City, Buckminster Prefecture

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

Mercs are the downfall of honorable combat. What do they know of Bushido?

Edited by Sealawyer, 28 August 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#11 trycksh0t

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

View PostSealawyer, on 28 August 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Mercs are the downfall off honorable combat. What do they know of Bushido?

About as much as Warlord Grieg Samsonov and Jerry Akuma.

And, if Mercs are the downfall of honorable combat, why was the Combine bound and determined to permanently add the Dragoons to their ranks, then attempted to destroy them when they realized it would never happen?

OT: MercNet from the future...that's creepy.

#12 Wolf Hreda

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 196 posts
  • LocationHesperia, CA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

View PostSealawyer, on 28 August 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Mercs are the downfall of honorable combat. What do they know of Bushido?

Guess you haven't read much on the Kell Hounds. They had plenty of honorable duels against DCMS samurai, especially Morgan Kell and Yorinaga Kurita.

#13 BlackLace

Rookie

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

Mercs yeah we do it for the money, and another reason we don't want crazy inner sphere politics :)

#14 LordValek357

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationWheeling, WV

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

I loved playing this game back in the day, on my Thrustmaster Top Gun joystick, which made the game fairly easy to master. I now have a Saitek X52 flight control system, and cant wait to play this game. Its been so long since I have mounted Clan heatsinks and went laser crazy on the CPU controlled mechs. Cant wait to test these skills against other players.

#15 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

no offense Al but i think i have grounds to contend that point. hans reported me to art for a b******* reason. nice loyalty there. seriously reporting me for prejudicial conduct against female gamers for a that's what she said joke at multiple enemies in the rear... does that sound like what you said?

#16 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

We mercenaries exist for the times when the common man and woman cannot get justice or protection from their "lords". You can't always buy freedom or justice - but you can buy the power of BattleMechs. And that can be a very close second.

#17 ggmab

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationToowoomba, Australia

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

Money breeds limits, a warrior who fights for money will always have a limit when profit no longer out ways risk. Those that fight for a belief, a cause will always prevail as their loyalty knows no bounds. There sacrifice a given not a risk management exercise

Edited by ggmab, 09 September 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#18 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

STOP IT!!!
THis thread is making me realllllllY WANT TO PLAY!!!!
ITs hard enough picking out the right computer to get me optimal performance without you YaY WHOOO's whippen up my emotions.. :) :D :) :blink:

#19 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

BTW at the end...that was stupid to take on FEKs Uziel... what did think would happen?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users