Somebody explain this UrbanMech/"Urbie" Obsession to me

212 replies to this topic

#201 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Its an urbanmech...2 points ..one ballistic ..one laser ..nuthn' else! ;)

#202 FrostPaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

It's the freedom to play in something really bad looking, that is a really weak mech which you can just play and people laugh and don't expect anything from you....and then every so often you get a kill and suddenly all those people laughing at you shut up, because they look stupid.

Having fun with no pressure and occasionally making arrogant people eat it....it's the finest sensation you can have.

#203 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

This is why.

#204 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

If we really should get the urbie, i'm sure there is a pretty high chance of being tked right at the beginning of the match, because someone not fallen in urbie love wants to punish you for hurting the team by bringing dead weight to the battlefield.

To be honest, it doesn't really matter if you are oneshotted by a teammate or the first enemy you encounter.

Edited by meteorol, 03 January 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#205 shabowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Urbie is a mech that needs BV to be anywhere approaching visible. When you can have 4 for one Atlas then a jumping AC-10 and small laser gets a little scarier.

#206 Logan Wraith MacTavish

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 20 February 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

It's like the cop in the Buddy Cop movie who uses a revolver. There's virtually no reason to use a revolver anymore, but it's cool. It makes any victories all the sweeter.

Sorry, I will finish reading the thread shortly, but this I comment I had to reply to. There is actually a very valid reason to use a revolver over a semi-automatic handgun. A revolver doens't jam, a semi-automatic handgun can jam, in several locations, and that can be a huge issue in the middle of a firefight. If you want to see how easy it is to jam a semiauto, clean one, forget to oil the thing and go fire off a clip or two at the gun range....Now properly maintained you cut down on the change of a jam occuring, but a jam is still a possiblity anytime you fire a semi-automatic or fully automatic weapon.

http://www.northcaro...ails.php?id=485 This article actually explains how and why a semiauto handgun can jam.

#207 Just Another Poster

Clone

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

View PostFrOdO, on 12 February 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

I guess it has its place on the battlefield as a mech designed specifically for urban combat but, It looks like a trashcan with legs. The R2-D2 of mechs, the ugly duckling of the mechworld, the out of shape mech that just wants to find true love. In every forum there is at least one person dropping an Urbie bomb.

It just looks accident prone to me, like the mech you would use for the annual mech carnival's side show. Somebody explain their fascination with this mech and what makes the UrbanMech a prized and sought after possession.

The trashcan with legs model is what makes it cool! In fact we should get a shop skin that makes it look a Donkey Kong barrel or a keg o beer. I'd write text on the back that said, "Buy Steiner's finest, Urban Brew".

#208 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

View PostFrOdO, on 12 February 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

I guess it has its place on the battlefield as a mech designed specifically for urban combat but, It looks like a trashcan with legs. The R2-D2 of mechs, the ugly duckling of the mechworld, the out of shape mech that just wants to find true love. In every forum there is at least one person dropping an Urbie bomb.

It just looks accident prone to me, like the mech you would use for the annual mech carnival's side show. Somebody explain their fascination with this mech and what makes the UrbanMech a prized and sought after possession.

You got it.

#209 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 20 February 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

It's like the cop in the Buddy Cop movie who uses a revolver. There's virtually no reason to use a revolver anymore, but it's cool. It makes any victories all the sweeter.

.44 mag Super Redhawk.

Booger says what?

#210 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

It was totally pointless as a mech in TT ... so needless to say it has a cult following of groupies.

As long as its as bad in game as it was there then they're welcome to it.... but you know that they'll all be convertd to gauss/er ppc beasts with much better engines.

#211 Just Another Poster

Clone

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

View PostRemarius, on 04 January 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

It was totally pointless as a mech in TT ... so needless to say it has a cult following of groupies.

As long as its as bad in game as it was there then they're welcome to it.... but you know that they'll all be convertd to gauss/er ppc beasts with much better engines.

A Mech apparently doesn't have to be any good to be cool. I asked Mack why people use a Commando, and he said it's because it looks like the gingerbread man.

#212 Mr Mantis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationCouch

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

Posted Image
maybe this is why

#213 Orgasmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

If you give the Urbie a 180 degree torso twist, it might actually be pretty fun to play with.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users