#41 Ian MacLeary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationChiron Beta Prime

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostOpus, on 12 February 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

Become one with the Urbie..

it is a Herbie the love bug kind'a thing

Dammit. Now I have to buy the mini and paint it up, just so I can have an 'Urbie the Love Bug' in a TT game sometime.

#42 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Ah, that right there is probably the biggest determiner for the Urbie's inclusion or not. Do the Devs think it's actually usefull in the game? If not, then we wait or the second, third, or maybe fourth DLC for it to show. If it shows up right away; other questions will need to be asked. How did they make it "good"? What role does it play that's actually fun? Hmmmm.........

#43 CobraFive

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

I don't get this thread.

Could someone explain why you wouldn't be obsessed with the urbenmech?

#44 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

The first time I ever played mechwarrior of any type, it was MW2:M, I clicked on instant action, started looking through the mech's to use, and found UrbanMech.

I immediately thought 2 things: #1. Urban combat = cool! and #2. 35 whole tons? whoa!

I discovered ammunition explosions that day.
I would not be here if I were less persistent.

#45 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:13 AM

Cause for its size and weight it packs quite the heavy punch?

Put its ugliness ontop of that and its the perfect troll mech! Killing an atlas with a trashcan... there are not many things that can beat that feeling.

#46 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

If I recall, in Mechwarrior 2 the Urbie had a 360 torso twist. That alone makes it unique, it's the closest thing to an actual walking tank.

Either way, it's so unforgettable that it's disgusting. Twice.

If you don't get the Urbie, your life is incomplete.

#47 csvelemental

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:02 AM

In the tabletop, an Urbie was a tough mech inside of a city with hardened level one buildings mixed with level twos and threes. He could hide and you would have to come and dig him out and probably get hit with an AC/10 a couple times for your trouble, not too bad for a light mech. Out in the open he is just a piece of meat.

Mix him in the city with some SRM infantry, and a couple LRM carriers and your troubles multiplied.

#48 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

Think of it this way. A trashcan. With a really big gun. Oscar just wishes he had a ride that cool.

#49 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

View PostSkylarr, on 12 February 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

"The UrbanMech is designed for just what its name suggests, urban combat and defense. This is achieved by making the UrbanMech the slowest light BATTLEMECH in existence with a top speed of only 32.4 km/h and a jumping distance of only sixty meters. On an open battlefield, speeds that slow would be a death warrant for any light 'Mech, but in the streets and alleys of an urban labyrinth, even with its slow speed, the UrbanMech is free to fight and fade back into the city as it sees fit."

You need to remember that the game developers were think " In an actual BATTLETECH Universe what kind mechs would be presented to the militaries Defense Procurement and Acquisistion Divisions."

Now think about some used car type salesman pitching his companies idea for a cheap city fighting mech that can set up in any building that is at least 2 floors high and ambush incoming enemy mechs.

Pretty much. It's a terrible design overall, but it's a cost-effective urban defender that packs a surprising whallop for its size. Ironically, though, it sacrifices most of the theoretical benefits of a battlemech in its pursuit of specialization in that role.

But in the end, I think people love it because it's just so damn little and ugly and simplistic. It's a little bucket-on-legs of a 'mech with a gun stuck to each side an a couple of jump jets, and when you compare it to all the elegant looking complicated IS humanoid designs and streamlined advanced Clanner bird-walkers it just looks really unique. I think people are attracted to oddball designs, and like to ogle them and tinker with them, provided they aren't stuck without better alternatives when they actually need something effective.

#50 Halfinax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

I love the UrbanMech for two reasons 1) It is always the underdog, and 2) in the right situation it's like a Saturday night special. You don't see it before it's too late. An Urbie may seem laughable, but an Urbie popping out of side a street behind you with its AC 10 blazing will kill you. Finally, cuz it's funny.

Edited by Halfinax, 14 February 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#51 Punisher 1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

I think it's a cruel joke. Considering the mech is a poor excuse for, well, a mech. Pretty much in the MW series they were too easy to kill and I believe in a few missions there were several of them to act as speed bumps.

They are almost as bad as how the Battletech Universe and the video games make armored vehicles operate, they just seem to be bugs with a little sting that stand in the way of the mighty battle mech on it's way to completing an objective.

#52 Randal Waide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 217 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

Urbanmech=target, just stay away from ac20 version
ac10 from a little farther out
too slow, not enough jet to get away from light jumpers...in essence,
pack meat ;) if this game were 1on 1 I would worry a little about it hitting me, but a seasons lance will hunt it out of it's hiding place. once flushed, it's salvage.

#53 Starne

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

Sure the Urbie is small, sure it's slow, and sure, it looks funny. That just makes it all the more humiliating if you get One-shotted by a lucky Urbie(are'nt they always?) that was hiding behind a rock or something.

That said, a lot of people are expecting MWO to give the Urbie a new lease on life, as on multiple occasions, the Devs have stated that most of the battles we will be fighitng will be in close-quarters enviroments such as Cities. The reasoning behind this is to cut down on the
dominance of long-range weapons.

#54 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

It is a cute little city defender, a fine mini to paint, and a fun design to take when you play Urbie Lord on Mega Mek.
I only hope we have an Urbie Lord competition in MW:O some day.

For those that don't know you pick an Urbanmech, I think the IIC version was valid as well, and you fight a king of the hill style battle.
Everyone in Urbies, fighting and dying to be the #1 Urbie.

#55 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

It's like the cop in the Buddy Cop movie who uses a revolver. There's virtually no reason to use a revolver anymore, but it's cool. It makes any victories all the sweeter.

#56 Maris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

THey are probbly going to sell the Urbie as a premium/novelty mech ;)

And I'm convinced they'll make a healthy amount of money if they do that.

#57 Jacob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

View PostRiptor, on 13 February 2012 - 01:13 AM, said:

Cause for its size and weight it packs quite the heavy punch?

Put its ugliness ontop of that and its the perfect troll mech! Killing an atlas with a trashcan... there are not many things that can beat that feeling.

I remember when this happened.

#58 Der Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGermany / Limburg

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Maybe people like the challenge and to laugh in the faces of those who underestimate our little fella.

#59 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

IT
HAS

A

BIG

GUN

#60 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 20 February 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

It's like the cop in the Buddy Cop movie who uses a revolver. There's virtually no reason to use a revolver anymore, but it's cool. It makes any victories all the sweeter.

What...?

Nah, man, it's like the wrinkled old shop-owner who gives out lollypops to children and tips his hat everytime a lady walk into his store... who stops a robbery by whipping out a chopped double-barrel from behind the cash register.

I'll go so far to say that UrbanMech is to the light Mech class as Centurian is to the medium Mech class: It's slow-moving, but well armored and armed to compensate.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 20 February 2012 - 01:16 PM.

29 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 29 guests, 0 anonymous users