Suggestion from a fellow Dev

12 replies to this topic

#1 Smokem Jags

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

Whatever you do, I implore you to create a casual gamer friendly environment.

That doesn't mean you need to wreck the lore or dumb down the game play or ruin the game for 'elites'. But balance mechanisms, pairing of new players to veteran players in matches, overall game approachability, effort spent/reward ratios(at least on the initial levels), should be very encouraging even for people who have never heard of BattleTech before.

If there's anything I've learned about design, it's that encouraging 'New Blood' is vital for long term success and sustainability. The worst thing a game can do to a player is absolutely crush them with defeat the very first time they pick it up and try it out.

Looking forward to a great BattleTech game, it's been far too long!
Oh and I'd be happy to share my credentials. :)

Edited by Smok'em Jags, 01 November 2011 - 07:12 PM.

#2 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

Agreed . Accessable and Casual might ,initially, make my hair stand on end, however, they do not mean the Death Knell to an in-depth, fun Battletech experience.

Bringing a wider audience is very important to the over financial, and public success of the game. It doesn't mean dumbed down, but encouraging people new to the Lore and the Genre to keep coming back is crucial. Great tutorials, intuitive GUI, etc etc.

I'm sure we are preaching the the converted, but I'm glad someone said it.

#3 The Maestro

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

They mentioned a sliding-scale control scheme, which seems like a huge boon to ease-of-access. Having a very simplified setup for new players and a control scheme comparable to MW2 in complexity with levels in between would be ideal to introduce people to MWO who have never heard of it and who have been waiting 12 years to see something.

#4 BLeeD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 104 posts
  • LocationOrange County , CA

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

HI everyone one !!! Oh my *** I am soo happy to see this coming of age. I have recently started playing world of tanks and there are some great developments in that game. I do enjoy the game matcher, though it is off some times but it matches each mech up in certain tiers against each other so most of the games are mostly balanced. And the entry lvl Mechs would not fight against mechs that are superior to it.

BLeeD DoC my the carnage renew

#5 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

I agree, no need to dumb things down per say ... but the experience a total newbie has when they first load in has got to be something special, epic, fun, or whatever turns them on.

Then as they learn more the game becomes more in depth and tactical and they get even more out of it. MW4 seemed to get that right in online play for the most part despite it's flaws.

I think more than anything though is that even somwone totally new should feel after a few games that they contributed to vicotry, or made a real difference in turning a massive loss into a minor one.

There is nothing worse that feeling like everything you tried was a total waste of time.

#6 Knight errant

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:48 AM

The other side of the coin is also very important. I've been an 'elite' and nothing destroys a game like having to contend with nubs on my side who think advice is a form of insult.

#7 Taemien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:35 AM

One thing I'll say, if they stick true to the franchise, automatically its coming with a steep learning curve. Move a mech, managing weapon groups, heat, ranges, and cover is going to be an arduous task for the new player. Unfortunately I can't think of a way to make it easier for them without sacrificing key points of what MechWarrior is, they'll need to take the baptism by fire like the rest of us.

Good news though, lag shooting won't be an issue with today's technologies. So that might actually tip the scale in the newbies favor right there.

#8 Nils

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 432 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

View PostSmok'em Jags, on 01 November 2011 - 07:09 PM, said:

That doesn't mean you need to wreck the lore or dumb down the game play or ruin the game for 'elites'. But balance mechanisms, pairing of new players to veteran players in matches, overall game approachability, effort spent/reward ratios(at least on the initial levels), should be very encouraging even for people who have never heard of BattleTech before.

If there's anything I've learned about design, it's that encouraging 'New Blood' is vital for long term success and sustainability. The worst thing a game can do to a player is absolutely crush them with defeat the very first time they pick it up and try it out.

Looking forward to a great BattleTech game, it's been far too long!
Oh and I'd be happy to share my credentials. :D

I agree, especially with the bolded part. :)

#9 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:19 AM

View PostTaemien, on 02 November 2011 - 04:35 AM, said:

Good news though, lag shooting won't be an issue with today's technologies. So that might actually tip the scale in the newbies favor right there.

OH those were the days, pinging players before a game, trying to aim so far ahead of them...

#10 Hallstatt

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

View PostKnight-errant, on 02 November 2011 - 02:48 AM, said:

The other side of the coin is also very important. I've been an 'elite' and nothing destroys a game like having to contend with nubs on my side who think advice is a form of insult.

I think a control slider will be just great. Newcomers won't be overwhelmed by the controls when the slider is at low, and veterans will have more control over his 'mech when the slider is at high.

#11 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

View PostSmok'em Jags, on 01 November 2011 - 07:09 PM, said:

That doesn't mean you need to wreck the lore or dumb down the game play or ruin the game for 'elites'. But balance mechanisms, pairing of new players to veteran players in matches, overall game approach-ability, effort spent/reward ratios(at least on the initial levels), should be very encouraging even for people who have never heard of BattleTech before.

I'm glad that someone out there realizes this. I love Btech and have been playing it for 15+ years, but I'm reading so many posts on this forum that want this game to basically be the board game, with all it's super in-depth bells and whistles. I don't think that they understand just how unreasonable this is for a video game, especially in an MMO where things like permanent player death and other board game elements just won't translate as well as some people think they will.

I want this game to stay true to the source, too. But lets be honest, the hardcore Btech fans alone aren't going to keep this game afloat financially all by themselves. This will need to appeal to outsiders to keep the game alive and that might require small 'nerfs' or simplifications to the Btech rules as we know it to make it streamlined and fun.

(i.e. don't expect it to take 1 month IRL to travel from one star system to another, just to fight in one or two battles. That's just unreasonable and will bore the hell out of the average player.)

#12 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

View PostTaemien, on 02 November 2011 - 04:35 AM, said:

I dunno about that. Pretty sure lag shooting is going to be an issue unless they enforce regional boundaries. Been shooting enough Rus and Aussies in MWLL to know.

Edited by SquareSphere, 02 November 2011 - 01:06 PM.

#13 Ave Hax

• PipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Lag will always be an issue at some level but i thing a solo play section would be amazing
and a team play vs ai would be too a break from the streak cats or major ecm issues oor
team solaris ladder system
keeping it balanced is the key
oh and well done for the new guys devs
much better tutorials and info for em keep it up

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users