Possible solution to in-game Zellbrigen - force in software.

52 replies to this topic

#21 DragonClaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

View PostXarg Talasko, on 20 February 2012 - 04:36 AM, said:

Where should I be looking for the proper duelling rules?

thats the key point duelling rules. the zellbrigen is a set of dualling rules and it should be up to the players to square off and declare it.

Edited by DragonClaw, 20 February 2012 - 02:08 PM.

#22 Aleks Kerensky

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

I happen to like your ideas Xarg, but also have some questions/issues. Assuming this MWO is going to be somewhat like a turn based strategy sort of game for Clans/Units/Freeborns the IS and Mercs would have no use for Zell so wouldnt it be useful to have it for an option to turn it off. Because I assume people will just play for fun aswell? (you probably thought of that anyway)

Secondly, Victor had a point whereas Clans didn't use Zell on IS as the freeborn were seen as dishonorable anyway.

Annother problem would be a shot to the face... how that would be seen as accidental or on purpose would be beyond me because if u had a Timberwolf with its greenhouse head take on somethin like a Centurion with an AC10 at its side that could be fatal.

all in all I do like your ideas but implementing them could be difficult. I'll try to come up with something (no garuntees)

#23 Arnold Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts
  • LocationBielefeld, NRW, Germany

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

View PostAleks Kerensky, on 20 February 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

Secondly, Victor had a point whereas Clans didn't use Zell on IS as the freeborn were seen as dishonorable anyway.

Which is oddly enough as the clans greatest heroes, Aleksandr and Nicholas Kerensky, where freeborn! ;)
But none speaks that out aloud, except thoose who might be masochistic or seek sudden death! :P

Somewhere in a 'Mech Hangar: "Oi, are you the guy who refered to the great Nicholas Krerensky as a "freebirth"?
"Ummm.... yes, that's me." STOMP
;)

#24 RogueSpear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

The clans canonically used Zellbrigen against the IS despite the Inner Sphere not conforming to Zell. Remember they were trying to liberate the Inner Sphere and civilize the barbarians. Some individual commanders would remove Zell, others would not. There are multiple stories of such things as Inner Sphere pilots harassing a clan 'mech that cannot engage because their commander has claimed the IS 'mech as their kill. It was only after Tukayyid that the clans began to fully throw out Zell against IS forces that did not conform to it in equal force matches. Zell was often thrown out when a binary faced a battalion for example, but in relatively equal matches they would insist on Zell because it was their fighting philosophy and is the system by which clan warriors gain honour and thus advancement. There is no honour gained when Zell is thrown out the window.
I like this idea because it has a lot of potential for ingame immersion and balance. It obviously needs tweaks, but it's the best idea I've seen to balance even number team games of IS vs Clan.

#25 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

A very nasty subject to touch upon. I can't believe I am saying this, but it may just be best for the devs to regulate the Clans themselves and make them all AI. For instance, MW4's bots come to mind. Although seemingly stupid, they attacked a single target until either party was downed. This happened all as the bot closed in on the target, gradually coming to max weapons range. They almost never attacked the head, and they generally only fought the initial target unless it retreated out of sight, or another player attacked the bot. Perhaps the answer is right in front of us, and we just don't realize it?

The only feasible way to truly hold people accountable to Clan regulations is by completely disengaging weapons when targeting an enemy already engaged in combat, or at least negating all damage done by an attack on it. Mass Effect 1 and 2 were coded so that it was impossible to "accidently" commit friendly fire on an annoying ally (Liara and Grunt, I am looking at you.) Sure, you could shoot them, but nothing would happen. Do the same here, or just make it impossible to fire on another target in your crosshairs. Problem solved.

Edited by Lord Trogus, 20 February 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#26 Fugu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

To implement anything like that in the game would be an awful thing to do.
Players can very well regulate themselfs. To hinder one disobeying, largely artificial, rules would prevent those who wish to follow those rules from actually feeling honourable.
Where is the honour in following honour driven rules if you couldn't disobey them even if you wanted to?

The more constraints you put into the game the less fun the whole experience will be.
What if I want to break those rules and be dishonourable? Shouldn't the game allow me to? Why should one be punished for playing the way one wants to play?

Fluff and canon are nice and well but actively limiting players in their playstile to such an extend would make for an unenjoyable experience.
If you want to play in a certain set of rules, you can still talk to the other team and agree about that. You don't need to regulate ALL clan players just because you'd like to play that way.

In general I find that a lot of you overthink the game mechanics at a point where we don't even have a video of the game. Let's wait a month and get a few informations first.
There will be a beta and because it'll be f2p there will be plenty of time to change a lot about the game. I mean damn, it'll take a good amount of time until the clans arive in the first place.

#27 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Well, If you could trigger your 'retreating' status on will, you could just walk into the middle of the clanners and have your comander bomb everything with orbital/artillery.

View PostLord Trogus, on 20 February 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

The only feasible way to truly hold people accountable to Clan regulations is by completely disengaging weapons when targeting an enemy already engaged in combat, or at least negating all damage done by an attack on it. Mass Effect 1 and 2 were coded so that it was impossible to "accidently" commit friendly fire on an annoying ally (Liara and Grunt, I am looking at you.) Sure, you could shoot them, but nothing would happen. Do the same here, or just make it impossible to fire on another target in your crosshairs. Problem solved.

Magic shields in Mechwarrior? I'd rather not have something like that.

#28 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

View PostFugu, on 20 February 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

Players can very well regulate themselfs. To hinder one disobeying, largely artificial, rules would prevent those who wish to follow those rules from actually feeling honourable.
Where is the honour in following honour driven rules if you couldn't disobey them even if you wanted to?

The more constraints you put into the game the less fun the whole experience will be.
What if I want to break those rules and be dishonourable? Shouldn't the game allow me to? Why should one be punished for playing the way one wants to play?

Fluff and canon are nice and well but actively limiting players in their playstile to such an extend would make for an unenjoyable experience.
If you want to play in a certain set of rules, you can still talk to the other team and agree about that. You don't need to regulate ALL clan players just because you'd like to play that way.

That argument to me is entirely illogical - that's like someone showing up and saying 'Why can't my Atlas move at 120 kph? Why can't it have jumpjets? Why can't it have a sword? I WANT A GUNDAM!' I know it's a ridiculously over the top exaggeration, but your argument holds true for it. If someone's preferred playstyle is a gundam wing-esque one, your argument supports their ability to do so.
The system laid out above allows you to act dishonourably - and be relatively punished for it, as you would be in universe. If you don't want to follow the rules of Zell, play Inner Sphere. If you want to be able to do whatever you want on a whim, go play CoD. This is not your father's Mechwarrior, and it is not your brother's MMO. The reason the Mechwarrior games have such a huge following is because of the universe. If it was just a random 'mech sim, it would fade into the mists of time like so many others have.
The devs have been trying to create a balanced and enjoyable game that echoes the history of the BT universe. Implementing a carrot and stick system to enforce zellbriggen makes sense and helps balance the game - clan 'mechs and tech are superior to IS equivalents in every way with next to no exceptions at the outbreak of the Clan Invasion. If we leave both sides to fight however they wish IS will be decimated every time in matches between evenly matched players. Who then would play IS voluntarily?
The universe has several playstyles. There are even bizarre ones like scouting assaults (The Charger) and assault-style lights (Urbies). There exists enough variation. Avoiding gamer abuse by loosely railroading people into acting as the warriors from the universe they seek to emulate and rewarding them for doing so/punishing them for not seems entirely fair to me.

#29 Milltio

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In America

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

is it worth mentioning that the clans weren't always honorable themselves, sure the big time clans like Clan Wolf and Clan Jade Falcon followed the code of honor to the letter, but that does NOT reflect all clanners opinion, some prefer to fight dirty. in some cases the mechwarrior who is attacked by multiple people will continue to attack that same target until it is destroyed, this cannonically allowed the IS to take advantage of the Clans because of their honor system. Lastly moving out of sight of your opponent (IE: hiding behind an ally, blocking another enemy's LOS or wall hugging is considered dezgra and should be reflected on the Dezgra system, accrue too much dezgra points and your fair game for everyone on the feild.

#30 Insidious Johnson

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

Ok, I have taken a pot shot @ the OP for this. I apologise, forgot what being an OP was like! He put a lot into this, to be sure, but it is tons of work for devs and would delay production with many bug hunts. So instead of offering nothing but a cheap critique, I'll see your proposition and raise you:

http://mwomercs.com/...on-on-its-head/

#31 Insidious Johnson

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Ok, I have taken a pot shot @ the OP for this. I apologise, forgot what being an OP was like! He put a lot into this, to be sure, but it is tons of work for devs and would delay production with many bug hunts. So instead of offering nothing but a cheap critique, I'll see your proposition and raise you:

http://mwomercs.com/...on-on-its-head/

All that is really needed to make this happen is an observer mode.

ACK I need to learn how to edit a post without double posting. I hit qoute (instead of edit), added the above line and didn't even notice it was a different post. I R IDJUT.

Edited by Insidious Johnson, 20 February 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#32 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostFugu, on 20 February 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

See, that is exactly what MW4 did for people. Any schmo was allowed to use a Clan mech, and what did 99% of those pilots do? Not follow zellbringen. We simply can't assume people will restrict themselves to that way of fighting when it has already been proven they won't. Take a trip to any mektek server and count the number of legging/poptarting Gladiators and Wildcats. Better yet, look at all the tomming Daishis or Franken Behemoths! The Clans were meant to fight in a certain fashion, and the moment you give out superior tech like that without restrictions, I can guarantee people will abuse it.

#33 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

I think a Zellbrigen system is essential- its going to be rough fighting no holds barred between Inner Sphere and Clan forces when the clans invade.

#34 Aleks Kerensky

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

View PostArnold Carns, on 20 February 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

Which is oddly enough as the clans greatest heroes, Aleksandr and Nicholas Kerensky, where freeborn! :P
But none speaks that out aloud, except thoose who might be masochistic or seek sudden death! :)

Somewhere in a 'Mech Hangar: "Oi, are you the guy who refered to the great Nicholas Krerensky as a "freebirth"?
"Ummm.... yes, that's me." STOMP
:(

please note thats why its Aleks... Alex was taken =(

#35 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

They have already stated they are trying to work a Zellbrigen reward system.

#36 Aleks Kerensky

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

I know back in the day on Mercs. One of our unit made a map for the Wolves had a great big Clan Wolf logo on it and everything :P . Say we were holding ToPs the whole Keshik would turn up with ASSault mechs and tell the sibkin what was going down basically the rules of Zell and we just adhered to that for role play purposes

#37 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostXarg Talasko, on 19 February 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

Trothkin! Freebirths! Quadrupeds! Lend me your ears! (you will now read this in an Ace Ventura voice) I've seen a lot of people discussing the potential problems regarding player Clan factions, the dilemma of Zellbrigen, and how it's somewhat unfeasible to rely on the Clan playerbase to police themselves. Well, last night I was thinking (no, it didn't hurt, thank you very much) about ways to deal with these complaints, because I've also noticed in those same threads, very few people coming up with suggestions that didn't involve trusting the playerbase, or only recruiting from the RP elite who'd have no real issue with playing honourably in the first place. So I thought "Why not use the game code itself to enforce the rules?" That might sound confusing at first, so allow me to elaborate. I imagine when people talk about Zellbrigen adherence, one of the things they mean, is that they're afraid (in a hypothetical 5v8 scenario) that all of the Clan players are going to immediately lock onto 1 player and blow them to pieces. Solution? Each player picks a target (I imagine this would be done under the reticule), which puts a blue overlay or skin or something over that target, which marks that target red in a similar way to all the other Star members. If we assume a uniform honour code (no per Clan differences for sake of simplicity in this example) the rear of a 'Mech is also painted red. Attacking a red zone/target accrues "dishonourable conduct" points. These points are NOT visible to player, so there's no metagaming/riding the edge of the punishment meter. On the same note, if a target you are not engaged with fires upon you, it changes from red to blue and you are allowed to fire upon it. Coming up, a (probably incomplete) list of basic Zellbrigen rules, and how I feel they could be enforced with software, and further expansions upon the dishonourable conduct and reward/punishments. Zellbrigen rules -A Warrior will never fire on a 'Mech already engaged with another opponent. This means that no double teaming or gang banging allowed. -- Already covered -A Warrior will at no time initiate physical attack, such as charging, punching, kicking, or clubbing. -- This may be irrelevant unless physical attacks are in the game. -Only in the event that a Warrior has no more weapons at his or her disposal, may the he or she engage in physical attacks. -- See above. -Fire on a retreating 'Mech -- This is a tricky one, what indicates a fleeing target? I propose that a button be allocated to signal that a unit is retreating. That entire target is then painted red, but is required to remove itself from the battlefield. If it does not move to within a certain distance of the deploy zone within a certain time limit (this will have to be generous in cases of leg/engine damage) then it may be painted blue again. Also, that target may choose to fake a retreat, pull some distance and re-engage. Upon that occurance, the target will be painted blue for all Clan players, to punish their dishonourable conduct. -Fire on a shutdown or fallen 'Mech -- While I don't know if there will be falling over in this, a shutdown target will be painted red until it powers up again, at which time it will be painted blue again and ready for combat. -Fire at the rear of a 'Mech -- Already covered, paint the rear of the target red -Target the head of a 'Mech -- This one could be tough, I would propose that non-direct fire (LRM/SRM for instance) be exempt from this, though putting a PPC through someones face will trigger the red paint and accrue dishonour points. "However, in the event that the enemy fails to follow RoE, one may return the dishonor. For example, if the enemy attacks using physicals, the Warrior may return the physical only to that enemy. In the event where the enemy as a whole act dishonorably, the commanding Clan officer may call a Grand Melee, at which point the battle field becomes a free for all--a Warrior may at this point use any means at his or her disposal to terminate the enemy." I would propose that this part of Zellbrigen be ignored. Acting 'dishonourably' is going to be a huge part of winning as the Inner Sphere, and this rule would effectively allow the 5v1 we want to avoid. Similarly, there are (to the best of my knowledge) some rules about not hiding from an opponent and always firing a weapon when they cycle. I propose those rules also be removed, as they will be too crippling in certain environments, especially urban combat. Now, on to the reward, punishment, and 'dishonour points' things I mentioned earlier. Weight based fighting I envisioned a weight vs weight based 'honour' system for the Clan team, to encourage the Clan team to test themselves. For example: 60 ton Clan 'Mech, vs 60 ton IS 'Mech. Weights are even, and with a weighting system of say 1 point per ton, this IS 'Mech would be worth 60 honour to defeat. 60 ton Clan 'Mech, vs 40 ton IS 'Mech. Weights are different, and with such a weight/tech disparity, instead of 40 points, this target is only worth 20. If the IS 'Mech in this example was under 40 tons, an even higher negative modifier would be applied. This helps to make light IS 'Mechs more viable, they are liable to be ignored as the Clan players cannot make any real character 'progression' by fighting them. 60 ton Clan 'Mech, vs 80 ton IS 'Mech. Weights are within the 20 ton 'magic area', this target is worth 80 honour. 60 ton Clan 'Mech vs 85+ ton IS 'Mech. A 1.5x modifier to honour (instead of the -2x modifier for fighting lighter) is applied here. The idea is to encourage Clan players to fight at their tonnage or above, similar to how MMORPG games handle character levelling - anything below your level starts offering drastically lower XP amounts, to encourage you to fight equal or higher level opponents. Dishonourable conduct I briefly covered a nebulous concept earlier I named "dishonourable conduct". What I mean by this is - to encourage the Clan players to play honourably, as per the Zellbrigen rules of engagement, you need to use the software to enforce this by punishing people who try to sneak a solid backshot or who "accidentally" large laser to the face their enemy. I also said that the progress bar for this dishonourable conduct should be invisible to the player, to avoid people trying to space out their offences, or keep a higher number of low value offences going to avoid punishment. This dishonourable conduct system also takes into account the hypothetical 'Mechlab. If you're rolling around in a high powered custom 'Mech, and hit that threshold for dishonourable conduct, your next mission will see you limited to a stock variant of that same chassis, or one of the same weight. Further infringements before the dishonourable conduct values decay back to a 'safe' level, will result in your character being pushed down to a lower tonnage asset. This punishes repeat or overly serious misconduct by forcing a player down the tonnage ladder, enough infringements will result in someone being stuck in a 'Mech so light that the IS players should have no issue finishing them off. Assuming no 'Mechlab, the down-tonning punishment still applies. The entire point of the dishonourable conduct system, and the tonnage based weighting system, should promote enjoyable combat for the IS team (no getting instastomped by the entire Clan team), the Clan team (rewards for playing the way the Clans 'should' - attacking targets that are actually a challenge), while punishing people who pick Clan for the tech, then decide to go stomping all over everything. Possibly add dishonour points to a massively unfair Clan vs IS 'Mech matchup (50-60 ton difference in favour of the Clan Player, but not too large as this may be unavoidable in some battles due to enemy force composition.)

Bad idea to force teams to do this. Should be left with a choice. Let each team decide. You drop with another clan or IS, you ask for Zell. They can either accept it, or say no.

Edited by Renegade Mitchell, 21 February 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#38 Uncle Totty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostLongsword, on 21 February 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

I think a Zellbrigen system is essential- its going to be rough fighting no holds barred between Inner Sphere and Clan forces when the clans invade.

Neg. I don't like to be forced to ignore someone shooting at me.

Edited by Nathan K, 21 February 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#39 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

Neg. I don't like to be forced to ignore someone shooting at me.

and some people dont like to be ganged up on by a group of mechs that are superior in every way, its a balance thing.

#40 Fugu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

Gundam and CoD, huh?
What I meant was not that everyone should be able do do anything. I am highly supporting a punishment/reward system, I am just as highly against hardcoding something into the game that in my opinion would restrict players too much.
Punish someone for being honourless but don't outright prevent it.

Yes, may people abuse and exploit a game where they can but I'd much rather have a system that would punish that than one that restricts all players in all situations.
I want IS players to fear I might just take the punishment and not to be shure that I HAVE to follow Zellbrigen because I couldn't do otherwise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users