Hunchback vs Centurion (Yen-Lo-Wang variant)

112 replies to this topic

Poll: Hunchback vs Centurion (Yen-Lo-Wang) (338 member(s) have cast votes)

Which would you rather take into battle?

1. Hunchback (161 votes [47.63%])

Percentage of vote: 47.63%

2. Centurion (Yen-Lo-Wang variant) (177 votes [52.37%])

Percentage of vote: 52.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Watchit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

In this case I would have to go with the Hunchback... Though if it was the CN9-D variant of the Centurion, now that's a different story ;D

#22 trycksh0t

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

After careful consideration, I'd take a Hunchback. While YLW can do more damage at Melee range, the HBK-4G can keep YLW from closing that distance, which gives it more firepower and better armor. YLW also has more AC/20 ammunition sitting under less armor, more likely to get an ammo explosion, and either of it's arms could be disabled in a single round if the HBK hits with the AC/20 and any laser, which would cripple YLW, where YLW would have to get the AC/20 into the torso, plus a critical hit on the HBK's AC/20 in order to disable it in one shot.

#23 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

I'd like to say YLW, but you never know, it might just come down to who the better pilot is or who's luckier.

#24 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 21 February 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

I'd like to say YLW, but you never know, it might just come down to who the better pilot is or who's luckier.

The question was which you would rather pilot, not which would win in a fight. Though i do agree with you

#25 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

View PostWatchit, on 21 February 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

The question was which you would rather pilot, not which would win in a fight. Though i do agree with you

YLW. But I'm not too hot with the rear facing med las...

#26 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

Hunchy!

#27 Graefin Zeppelin

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationHunting pirates at Sisyphus's Lament

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

Mediums slugging it out with ac20s ? Thats a tough choice and is much decided by the pilot,terrain and luck.

#28 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

If Kai was in the YLW then i would still vote for YLM even if it was fighting a Dire Wolf.

#29 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:14 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 22 February 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

If Kai was in the YLW then i would still vote for YLM even if it was fighting a Dire Wolf.

His Dad wasn't a slouch either....

#30 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

Both AC's are too easy to shoot. So if they *did* get shot off, the Centurion would have the advantage with two med lasers, and that ax/claw. It could just pop off some laser shots as it gets close then go to down with the mele weapon. Hunchback would be so shocked it would call to the floor and start weeping.

#31 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

View PostOmigir, on 22 February 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

Both AC's are too easy to shoot. So if they *did* get shot off, the Centurion would have the advantage with two med lasers, and that ax/claw. It could just pop off some laser shots as it gets close then go to down with the mele weapon. Hunchback would be so shocked it would call to the floor and start weeping.

Yen-Lo-Wang's arm mounted AC/20 is significantly less well armoured and therefore easier to shoot off than the Hunchback's torso mounted one.The Hunchback also has two medium lasers. If anything, it'll have significantly more firepower in this situation as both its medium lasers are facing forward and it has an additional small laser.

#32 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

ah that is what I missed! i thought it was just one med laser in common, well at that point, yeah it would have advantage untill the centurion closed, then it would be that ax. as far as the shoulder mounted cannon .. eh.. from a table top perspective... maybe.. from MW3/4 perspective it depends on who is piloting. it really does not take allot of shots to remove that shoulder cannon on a hunchy

#33 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

View PostOmigir, on 22 February 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

That sounds like a terrible Hunchy pilot to me. How can you deny AC20's on a medium?
This one is a tough one for me but I like AC20s and lean to the Hunchback.
Both look like great Mediums...aaahhh my soft spot support mechs :unsure: B) :o ;)

#34 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

View PostFEK315, on 22 February 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

That sounds like a terrible Hunchy pilot to me. How can you deny AC20's on a medium?
This one is a tough one for me but I like AC20s and lean to the Hunchback.
Both look like great Mediums...aaahhh my soft spot support mechs :unsure: B) :o ;)

How so, if you were that hunchback pilot, whats the first thing you would shoot on that centurion? Its AC 20.. same thing that he would to the hunchback ; p. Valid tactic, deny the enemy his best weapons.

#35 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostOmigir, on 22 February 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

ah that is what I missed! i thought it was just one med laser in common, well at that point, yeah it would have advantage untill the centurion closed, then it would be that ax. as far as the shoulder mounted cannon .. eh.. from a table top perspective... maybe.. from MW3/4 perspective it depends on who is piloting. it really does not take allot of shots to remove that shoulder cannon on a hunchy

The difference in melee combat is marginal. In the board game, the Centurion firing all weapons while using the claw (Well, hatchet, but I'm assuming it's there to represent the claw) does a maximum of 35 damage a turn while the Hunchback doing the same while either punching or firing its medium lasers does 33 damage. The difference doesn't seem to me like it'll offset the Hunchback's superior armour.

The only major advantage I can think of that Yen-Lo-Wang has is 50% more ammo for the AC/20. It means it's more likely to explode too, of course, but having 10 or 15 AC/20 rounds exploding doesn't really make much of a difference.

#36 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

Unfortunate that the centurion seems to be at an all around disadvantage for being the same tonnage. the only thing he could hope for is to outpace the hunchback and run it out of amo so that it can keep pumping in rounds.

#37 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

View PostOmigir, on 22 February 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

Unfortunate that the centurion seems to be at an all around disadvantage for being the same tonnage. the only thing he could hope for is to outpace the hunchback and run it out of amo so that it can keep pumping in rounds.

and Arctic Fox's quote :-)

Need I say more....?

Edited by FEK315, 22 February 2012 - 08:43 AM.

#38 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Oh I got it, if its a runway contest, the Centurion has the Hunchback beat. Its way sexier!

#39 Micheal Hessek

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 69 posts
  • LocationIn a Dropship ... Preparing for a Hot Drop.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

The Hunchback P variant would toast the AC-20 variants of Both Mechs. The LRM's and medium lasers would combine to toast a short-range only Mech. It is armored as well as most Heavies and has better weapons than most.

When variants are available and if players are able to have more than one Mech, the Hunchback P variant will be one of them.

#40 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

The Hunchback would just DESTROY the Centurion. The differences are clear in the forum poster's original post stuff. Plus, an AC20 doesn't help the cause for either, few shots and they're both toast.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users