Hunchback vs Centurion (Yen-Lo-Wang variant)

112 replies to this topic

Poll: Hunchback vs Centurion (Yen-Lo-Wang) (338 member(s) have cast votes)

Which would you rather take into battle?

1. Hunchback (161 votes [47.63%])

Percentage of vote: 47.63%

2. Centurion (Yen-Lo-Wang variant) (177 votes [52.37%])

Percentage of vote: 52.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Azantia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

It all comes down to the pilots of each machine. Yen-Lo-Wang has more toys to play with, but less armor. Hunchback, more armor, less toys, someone failed to mention ammunition counts as well...
Hunchback has 2 tons of ammo = 10 rounds or 10 pulls of the trigger.
Yen-Lo-Wang = 3 tons of ammo = 15 rounds / pulls of the trigger

that does make a difference, as YLW can be more defensive, push longer ranges or more difficult shots without having to worry as much about the ammo count.

Ultimately it still comes down to pilot vs pilot, who gets lucky first and more often, and who can utilize terrain (if a factor) most effectively.

#42 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

yen-lo-wang...meh.....? :) :) :D

Hunchback looks more like a Mech then the standard yen-lo-wang.
Let's have some Diversity people.
Besides how can you pass up the chance to use the AC2?
Really, have you no sense of Ballistic BLAMMO? :)

Edited by FEK315, 23 February 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#43 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

Voted Hunchback because FEK convinced me to.

#44 Yeach

• 1,080 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:27 AM

From my MW2 Mercs Official Strategy Guide, it includes the TRO readouts of some of the mechs.
Centurion
Cruising Speed = 43.2 kph
Maximum Speed = 64.8 kph

Hunchback
Cruising Speed = 43.9 kph
Maximum Speed = 63.5 kph

Would this give a "very slight" speed advantage to the Centurion?

Anyways can someone confirm this max speed from the 3025 TRO readout.
Thanks.

#45 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts
  • LocationDecrypting your Authentication codes.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:52 AM

YLW +1 HB 0

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Yen-Lo-Wang

Though really it would come down to terrain, pilot.

If you put a 0/0 pilot in the HB and a 1/1 in the YLW?

or a 4/4 or 3/3 in each?

I think 4/4 is avg? Correct me if wrong.

If you have Kai at the controls, there is no contest.

My preference would depend if I was going into an arena or open combat.

Arena - YLW
Military engagement - Probably the HB.

Edited by 8100d 5p4tt3r, 03 May 2012 - 05:57 AM.

#46 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:57 AM

The CN9-1C is better than the HBK-4G
The HBK-4G is better than the HBK-Wifi

#47 frostfly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:04 AM

The Hunch Wins flat out, and easy. You shoot an AC20 at the hunch and one shot will not do critical damage to either the torsos or the legs. The YLW has very thin armor. An AC20 shot dead center goes right through the armor and is doing critical damage immidately. A well played hunch shouldn't have to worry about the hatchet at all as both mechs have identical speed.

#48 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:13 AM

I don't know.

I have a 1xLRM15 w/ Artemis IV FCS, 32 salvos, 3xML, BAP, AMS and 5JJ, 97KPH, 100% heat efficiency and 95% armored that could pretty much shell an AC/20 Hunchie into the dirt from afar and play keep away at all times.

#49 neodym

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Locationready to help with closed beta

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

Centurion is cooler,the advantage in aiming with autocannon in hand + meele weapon.... very cool and handy but considering its same speed as Hunchback,with same weapon range only that Hunchback have alot stronger armor and that its torso autocannon is even better protected I have to vote Hunchback...

armor is important so is the placement of weapon,Hunchback will probably take one or two AC salvos more before being blown and thats big advantage

Edited by neodym, 03 May 2012 - 06:23 AM.

#50 Goldhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

Remember that it is not the mech, it is the pilot that operates the mech. Justin Liao-Allard established himself by becoming one of the deadliest warriors in the Inner Sphere. Then, his son beat HIM down on Outreach along with many other prestigious warriors. If you can rock the Centurion and destroy Hunckbacks, rock it. So, I will take Yen-lo-wang's side, especially since you aren't expecting the cannon to do that much damage in one shot. Justin destroyed a Griffin with that modification.

#51 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

Posted Image

V.S.

Posted Image

Both custom. Both rocking. But I have to side with the Liao, even though he almost used to fight against us more than against the others.

#52 AlanEsh

• The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

I had to vote for the YLW due to its Unique Elite Pilot :D

And I really doubt the YLW variant will be in MWO.

#53 Tadakuma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

People under estimate the importance of armour in this game.

When those AC20s rounds start to fly you really need as much armour as you can get. YLW is a fine mech but I wouldn't want to tangle with a Hunchback in it. Any hit by an AC20 is getting internals of a Centurion, by contrast a Hunchback has enough armour to survive any torso hit without damage and the Hunchback AC20 is torso mounted meaning that it is protected.

If I had the choice I'd rather fight a Hunchback on in a standard Centurion. The extra range of the LRM 10 and AC10 is a better solution, even here this isn't a fight I would be looking forward to.

The best mech take a Hunchback on with is something like a Griffin or Dervish. Anything with the speed to dictate the battle and a good medium to long range punch will do the trick. (I've also done it in a Wolfhound with an elite pilot but that was a really tense battle and not something I would want to do that often)

#54 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

View PostTadakuma, on 03 May 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

People under estimate the importance of armour in this game.

When those AC20s rounds start to fly you really need as much armour as you can get. YLW is a fine mech but I wouldn't want to tangle with a Hunchback in it. Any hit by an AC20 is getting internals of a Centurion, by contrast a Hunchback has enough armour to survive any torso hit without damage and the Hunchback AC20 is torso mounted meaning that it is protected.

You fail to mention (as did everybody else in this thread) that the AC/20 being in the YLW's arm means that it has a greater degree of movement. The Hunchback must turn its entire torso to fire its AC, whereas the YLW can move its faster and easier. Yes, it is less armored, but it makes up for that in aiming capability. The YLW can bring its weapon to bear much easier and faster (arms move faster than torsos in MWO) than the Hunchback can bring its AC to bear.

#55 KANE LIVES

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 108 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTOTALLY not somewhere worshiping a toaster.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

Hunchback. Why did I pick that? Here is why:
1 More armor
2 More firepower, according to what I've heard about phisical attacks.
3 I'm Lyran, so I just had to go with the Hunchback. :D

#56 El Loco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNew Haven, CT

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

Yen Lo Wang... simply because of the fluff. No real reason beyond that.

#57 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

I know that the Hunchback is a better mech all-round. That the Yen-Lo-Wang is specifically made for arena combat and the most Solaris mechs wouldn't last long in an actual war according too all of the tech readouts and whatnot. They're purpose built for close combat and close range bouts in a (barely) controlled arena. Even so I'd have to go with the YLW if it was my choice on which to pilot because it's the mother effin Yen-Lo-Wang! If you were to put me in the army and offer me a choice between a top of the line gas mask and one that was one generation older but dressed up like a luchador mask, I'd choose that thing for the same hair-brained reason. And I'd wear it into battle ALL THE TIME. I think that it's a decision that goes beyond reason.

This thread made realize why I always forget that Centurions normally have an LRM10.

#58 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

I voted for the Hunchback.

The reason being, I really like the hardpoint layout on the Hunchback. I am not a missile guy and I really HAVE to have armor. Yen-Lo-Wang is pretty cool, but in the end it's a 1 trick pony with nothing else going for it.

Hunchback Awesomness:
-Varient based off stock chassis could have a Guass Rifle replace the AC/20 and totally change the dynamic while allowing for a lot other.
-Swayback: I LOVE NON-BALLISTIC WEAPONS! So the abililty to have a swarm of Mediums or PPCs with Mediums gets me going!
I just like the design, it isn't perfect but it is nice.

In all reality I'm still waiting for a Medium 'Mech that I'm really excited about. But the Hunchback will hold me over till then :P

#59 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

While I love votes like this let me interject a little "immersion"
  • There is no Yen-Lo Wang "Variant". There is only Yen-Lo Wang. (He was a one-off. Not off the rack as it were)
  • If there is only Yen-Lo Wang then there is only Kai Allard-Liao (the pilot in this timeframe)
  • If there is only Kai Allard-Liao there is no Hunchback (Kai is arguably the best Mechwarrior in the Inner Sphere)

#60 Gracklefox

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

The Hunchback is just way sexier.
So it wins in manliness!

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users