Guide

113 replies to this topic

#21 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

trying not to be an asshat here but....
you might want to sort out the order of your sections.
it goes weapons, weapons group, radar, more weapons, other stuff, more weapons then group fire.
I'm sure after a few weeks of changes this will end up being a sticky. :)

#22 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

Yeah, I threw it together as if people would continually add to it.. and the contributions petered out.

Edit:
Okay, less jumbled now, methinks.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 14 September 2012 - 11:12 AM.

#23 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

If anyone has more of this info to add, or finds faults, then please mention it.

#24 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

A note on jump jets. Don't go higher than you need to go. Not only to save your legs and fuel, but also to avoid getting shot by attentive snipers.

#25 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

I say one of the best feelings you can get in this game is when you nail a mid-air Kill Shot on a high velocity flying Jenner :P

#26 innicas

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

This guide is great- thanks very much.

I've spent a good few hours in the game & I still had a few "WTF, so THAT's how that feature works?!" moments reading through it ;)

#27 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

Added a quick note about NARC pods.

#28 Foecrusher

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:49 AM

Thanks for the tips about weapons being in the same body part. I never understood why some weapons would fire completely off to one side.

#29 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

Yeah, weapons spread across your Mech have to "converge" on the target at a specific range, otherwise the shots either criss-cross eachother in-flight or remain spaced apart by the time they hit. Since convergence factors are based on where your reticule is pointing... and you often have to lead projectile weapons for a moving target... the system frequently fails to properly orient your projectile shots to converge properly. That's why when I fire a group of projectile weapons I prefer to clump them, or at least keep them on the same side of the Mech so they all hit close together on target.

Lasers converge very well, but AC, Gauss, and PPCs suffer some convergence issues when you lead a moving target.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 19 September 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#30 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

*cough*bumpcough*cough

#31 Kitane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

If you go into your Mechwarrior Online folder, you will see user.cfg file (if it isn't there and it is a folder with system.cfg, make a new text file and name it user.cfg)

Put this in to disable native mouse acceleration in Crysis engine.

i_mouse_accel = 0
i_mouse_accel_max = 0
i_mouse_smooth = 0

And you can add this to reduce sensitivity of your mouse. You can play with this number to find a optimal value for yourself.

cl_sensitivity = 0.3

This made huge difference in my ability to aim accurately.

#32 Shiara

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSunderland, MA

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

Thank you! Gold, that's what it is. ;)

Shiara

#33 Xander Salamander

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 09 September 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

• ER and Normal Large Lasers
At this time, Large Lasers are more heat efficient than a Med Laser and deal almost 2x damage, with a peak range of 450m (where a Medium Laser barely causes any damage) and the beam eventually quits at 900m. The Extended Range LL generates about 40% more heat per shot than a normal LL, but it deals full damage out to 675m (basically the same range as a Gauss Rifle, but with pin-point accuracy) and continues dealing damage all the way out to 1350m.

You're correct about heat the efficiency versus medium lasers, but I do think that the marginal improvement (2.86% more damage per point of heat) is bought at a very high price of four additional tons per laser. There's no arguing with the improved range, but for closer quarters I would certainly prefer the medium laser build, as it allows me more weight to devote to heat sinks and engine speed.

---
Xander

#34 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

View PostXander Salamander, on 21 September 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

You're correct about heat the efficiency versus medium lasers, but I do think that the marginal improvement (2.86% more damage per point of heat) is bought at a very high price of four additional tons per laser. There's no arguing with the improved range, but for closer quarters I would certainly prefer the medium laser build, as it allows me more weight to devote to heat sinks and engine speed.

---
Xander

With the latest Patch, Large Lasers now have the same beam duration as Medium Lasers, which improves their short-range and long-range fighting capacity. However, in short-range environoments you ARE better off using 2x medium lasers instead of 1 Large because the 2ML + 3HS is better for <270m engagements than 1LL, despite the LL's better heat efficiency.

Now... for non-brawling situations... At 450m a ML is dealing only ~1 dmg, so it would take 9ML to equal the damage of just 1LL at that range. The LL's are now better for the longer-ranged engagements they are designed for, since they deal damage more rapidly and force you to hold your reticule on-target for 1/4sec less time.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 22 September 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#35 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

*bump*

#36 Kanashimi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

How about a guide for the MechLab that does not include youboob videos? Those of us who are hearing impaired hate those things, with good reason. Is there a written one somewhere? If so, could a link be added here in this thread, since this is a SUPERB starter?

#37 FlareUKCS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationWales , UK.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Who is the commander in a PuG ? Can a player specify they do NOT want to command ? ( I hate command roles in FPS, I am just a grunt and just want to hurt things :D)

When hiding in the trees, does a scout or enemy mech have to actually target me to spot me or will a beep and a triangle pop up to notify the enemy that a mech was detected with just a casual sweep ? Would being powered down effect detection ?
I mean I dont want to be hiding in a group of trees or something and all the enemy needs to do is wave thier cockpit in my general direction and a big red marker shows him where I am hiding.

#38 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

View PostFlareUKCS, on 24 September 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

Who is the commander in a PuG ? Can a player specify they do NOT want to command ? ( I hate command roles in FPS, I am just a grunt and just want to hurt things :D)

When hiding in the trees, does a scout or enemy mech have to actually target me to spot me or will a beep and a triangle pop up to notify the enemy that a mech was detected with just a casual sweep ? Would being powered down effect detection ?
I mean I dont want to be hiding in a group of trees or something and all the enemy needs to do is wave thier cockpit in my general direction and a big red marker shows him where I am hiding.

Nobody is the commander; one must use the Battlegrid B to assume command.

Trees that you can walk through do not block LOS(does not prevent locking target) although they can block thermal & visual. some large trees on Forest are solid models instead iirc.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 24 September 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#39 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Added tidbits about COmmander, TAG, NARC, and explained my ugly diagram.

#40 Jonal

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUSA, California

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Thank you to the OP for this, it has been my go to thread when I have been playing with different mechs and configs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users