#61 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Updated with some additions from Tamerathon.

Thanks, dude. :)

#62 Sakarbal The Mad

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationThe hills.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Thanks a lot man, you just lowered the hell outta my learning curve.

#63 Darth Mech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

An excellent guide for this noob! Thank you Prosperity Park!

#64 Overdrive

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

Great write-up. Thanks for the info!

#65 MntRunner

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the write, great information

#66 BoomDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

Thanks, detailed info has been hard to find.

Quick question. You said floating slots are ignored by the critical hit system. So if a crit is rolled on say my CT, is the crit be applied to a floating slot but does nothing, or is it impossible for a crit to be rolled on a floating slot? Also, can crits be rolled on empty slots and do nothing, or do they automatically do something?

#67 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostBoomDog, on 09 November 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

Thanks, detailed info has been hard to find.

Quick question. You said floating slots are ignored by the critical hit system. So if a crit is rolled on say my CT, is the crit be applied to a floating slot but does nothing, or is it impossible for a crit to be rolled on a floating slot? Also, can crits be rolled on empty slots and do nothing, or do they automatically do something?

I was just pulling lines directly out of the patch notes, and editing them when I felt needed...

Basicaly, we know that the floating crits (like the space that EndoSteel takes up) cannot be "shot-out" and destroyed during exposure to enemy fire in combat, resulting in extra internal structure damage... so I don't think they contribute to any kind of critical hit system... that's just to the best of my knowledge with an educated guess.

#68 Eric the Inappropriate

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Here are some questions I've had, and had a bit of trouble finding clear info on. Much of the talk around here assumed previous experience with the battletech universe, so I'ma dump it here where someone might find it.

concepts commonly confused

*Hardpoints and Slots and weight.
Slots are a abstraction of the space available in a certain regoin of the mechs chassis. The head may for example have ten slots, which means that you can chuck ten slots worth of junk in there by volume. Not by weight.

A hardpoint is a place to mount a particular type of weapon. The three type are energy, balistic and missile. So if you want to mount, say a medium laser, you must have both a free slot, and a free energy hardpoint in that region. You must also have one ton of free weight, which is to say the mechs total must be atleast one ton below it's max.

*C-bills and MC
C-bills are the in-universe currency of the battletech universe. You acquire these by playing the game.
MC means mechwarrior credits and can be purchased with real money.
Somethings can only be bought by one or the other, somethings can be bought by both.

*GXP and Mech XP
..still don't quite get it...

*Loadout and Upgrades
Loadout is where you adjust the mechs weaponry, armor and some other dynamic equipment. Things you buy on the loadout screen stay yours untill you sell them, even if you remove them from a particular chassis. You can move items from one mech to another.

Upgrades are not items, but rather a job someone did to the mech. Like replacing the armor. Thus you can not sell what you buy on this screen, in fact you have to pay again to have the job reversed so to speak.

#69 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

Maybe all you founder guys knew this forever, but for me it has been like a f'ing revelation - in the key config right below "Next Target" (Default R) there is another key command "Show Target Overlay". Has been a huge help for me in getting battlefield awareness!

What it does is display all available (and targetable) units enemy AND friendlies with names, makes it much easier for example to call out a Jenner or Cicada driver (from info) "Hey XY join me at enemy base, you can get here fast". Especially useful when going into battle with 7 random players.

#70 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Thanks, just the part about radar and spotting has helped so even if I die, I have died useful. Too bad a bunch of players I see never get to do focused fire.

#71 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostTaizan, on 11 November 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

Maybe all you founder guys knew this forever, but for me it has been like a f'ing revelation - in the key config right below "Next Target" (Default R) there is another key command "Show Target Overlay". Has been a huge help for me in getting battlefield awareness!

What it does is display all available (and targetable) units enemy AND friendlies with names, makes it much easier for example to call out a Jenner or Cicada driver (from info) "Hey XY join me at enemy base, you can get here fast". Especially useful when going into battle with 7 random players.

Ya know, that's a fairly "new" feature (Beta-wise) and I mostly forgot about it. Good call; I'll mention it when I do a revision.

#72 Voridan Atreides

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Nice guide. I'm thinking of putting this in my sig. Good work man. ;)

#73 Nash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 658 posts
  • LocationGermany, Freiburg

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

Even if I'm not a new player I take sometimes a look at your post and I have to admit that it's getting very very impressive... :lol:

Anyway I also would add some general behaviour.

e.g. Think about that it's an online game where other people are playing the same game as you do and that if you do something wrong like shooting at the beginning of a match (accidentally of course) at someone else because you aren't used to the game...or if you kill someone of your own team (be it that he did walk into your weapon fire or whatever reason) you should be at least so kind and apologize.

I know this has nothing to do with the gameplay or the mechs but I think it is a good way to remind everyone... :ph34r: (just an idea ^^ )

#74 Spartanz157

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

yeah with spelling errors like 'yuor' and some others.

though its a good guide

#75 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

It's really a comglomeration that's been slightly refined... but I'll search for typos.

Now I have to remove my repair/rearm sections, though :lol:

#76 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Okay: majority of typos fixed, repair/rearm removed, and Conquest Mode added.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 18 December 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#77 hamstermech

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationNorthern BC Canada

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Brilliant, and THANK YOU for the hard work!

#78 Magehunter

Rookie

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the hard work and information here.

Thanks for the info about emc to disrupt will take out a light mech emc field, making me think about the next time they run around and you can not get a lock. Wish I could mount one for on my cat.

I have two questions. When you look at the hud what do the eyes next to your team names mean?
Also I think the answer to this question is on the left of your hud display is that you will see a strength meter so
mean that your in a emc field red for enemy and blue for teammates. The meter goes up as to how close you are to the transmitter.

Edited by Magehunter, 21 January 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#79 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

Update - Corrected UAC/5 jamming and JumpJet info

#80 00seven

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Shazaaaam.
Great topic, steadfast updates. Awesome and thank you.
-nigh-

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users