Pay to Play: Advocating a Subscription Based Game

44 replies to this topic

#1 Tian

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:12 PM

I understand that this is a very hot issue, one that will be debated until the day the game comes out. So, why not start that discussion with an educated post that discusses the advantages of both systems of payment, and my conclusion based on 16 years of playing MMOs, both F2P and P2P. My goal here is to generate an educated discussion; however I want to make it clear from the beginning that I favor a Pay to Play system.

Perhaps the quickest way to determine whether a game should be F2P or P2P is to determine how the world's environment is to be setup. An instanced based game with virtual lobbies, for example, typically favor the F2P model; while large persistent worlds favor a P2P model. I agree with this correlation. I have not been able to determine if this game is set in a Persistent world or an Instanced based model. Based on the following quote, it seems that the developers are making more of a persistent world MMOFPS game like Planetside:

Merc Corp leaders will bid and fight for occupation rights to some of the most valuable planets across the Inner Sphere and challenge other Merc Corps for control of planets reaping large rewards.

As of now, the major competition for Mech Warrior Online is Planetside 2, Firefall, and Battlefield 3. We know that Firefall is a Free to Play MMOFPS set in a persistent world. Planetside 2 has yet to announce its business model. Battlefield 3 is a F2P after purchase game set in an instanced w/lobby environment. Already, it seems the competition is in disagreement with the business model; and an intelligent decision here could make for a gigantic difference in terms of final profit margin, play ability and fun factor.

Now, a decision on which business model to choose is a very important one; but typically this decision is based on these four factors: Server/Game Maintenance (To include free content updates), Play-ability, Fun Factor, and Profit. Lets observe the differences between F2P and P2P in correlation to these four different factors:

Server/Game Maintenance:

Maintaining servers for persistent worlds costs money. It also costs money to keep a development staff on hand to develop new material for the game. F2P games rarely have expansions, as typically any new features are tossed into the game store, or the expansions are extremely small in scale. Most new content is focused on the game store, and typically you can find objects such as mounts, skins, experience boosts, inventory expansions and the like in the store. Development will always be focused in one way or an other with developing new store items. F2P works very well for games that cannot maintain a healthy subscription base. Typically, F2P games are not considered triple A titles, and are not enjoyed by a large population of players.

Pay to play models provide a consistent flow of money to the development team. It is often easier for project managers to determine how many staffers to keep on payroll, and how many servers to maintain based on the number of subscribers. A healthy MMO typically has 200,000+ subscribers. When numbers reach below 125k through 150k, the developers have to begin worrying about the future of the game. That being said, Mech Warrior is a very popular franchise, and it can be expected that a good game will be able to manage 200,000+ subscriptions. So long as the subscription numbers are healthy, developers focus their attention on new content in two forms, free content updates and expansions. However, expansions can be billed separately as they are counted as a separate project all together, allowing the company to take on a loan to fund an independent development team to perform the work. All developed content in P2P models, with few exceptions, is open to every player - without needing to focus on obscure items to stuff in a game store. In many ways, this works out a positive *IF* the subscription numbers stay above 200k.

Play Ability

Play ability is not the same as fun factor for a few different reasons. First, the company has to determine how they can get the most amount of players to play the game. If the interest and demand isn't very high, a F2P system would be favored. This is typically the ideal business model for new companies working with original IPs. It is for this very reason why I am puzzled at the choice of going for a F2P model for a Mech Warrior title with so much interest from the players.

F2P provides the easiest access to an Online game. The player registers an account, and then the player downloads the client to log in. Its one of the easiest methods of getting someone to play your game. However, this also increases the number of spammers, botters, and gold farmers that can get in to spoil the gaming experience. If everyone plays for free, the gold sellers can play for free as well. Security must be increased, OR you make it so gold sellers don't have a business by increasing Game Store prices and allowing players to trade Game Store items for in-game money. This means that players will be able to get rich, and buy better gear/equipment by paying real money to get in-game cash. To me, this is a significant problem with F2P. Finally, the entire game is not accessible to those who play for free, as a significant amount of content must be purchased to enjoy.

A Pay to Play system restricts access to the game, making accessibility to the game an issue. Most Pay to Play models require a box/digital copy of the game to be purchased which will include a month's worth of game time. This is one of the simplest measures a company can take to keep third party businesses (gold sellers) from getting into the game. However, as with all things in the internet, the game can be hacked and they can gain access; however it will be more difficult for them than a F2P model. Once the game is purchased though, the player has access to ALL features of the game without having to worry about another individual gaining an unfair advantage by purchasing in game items.

One of the best features of a Pay to Play model is that you know what you expect to pay, and you don't have the impulse or desire to pay more because that certain item in the game store is appealing. Typically, F2P games feed off of impulse buys, offering incredibly stunning items or rare items for a short period of time at an inflated price. One can spend more money on the game store than they would in a subscription. This means that while some pay nothing to pay, others pay more than what a subscription fee would have been. True, its the players choice, but when it comes down to it most would appreciate access to game content without getting nickled and dimed.

Fun Factor

Lets face it, people play games to have fun and to be entertained. This is normal. Fun factor cannot be measured based on one individual's perception, as people enjoy different things. For example, there is a poll on this forum asking what items people would like to see in the store. At the time of viewing the poll, 4 individuals liked the option of "Pay to Win." Though they were the minority, there are those that enjoy paying to beat opposing players. F2P encourages individuals with this play style, as P2P models do not offer player advantages through cash shops.

Most people like to compete on a level playing field, in which Skill is the most significant factor which determines who wins the game. Progressions is often the second factor which determines who wins the game. F2P games typically offer items which increase a players level of progression, and some games offer stat bonuses through consumable items in their cash shops. Allods, for example, is a great example of a Free to Play game which negatively effects fairness in competition.

Since Mech Warrior is a competition based game, one in which players will frequently go head to head, it is very important to ensure that the playing field is balanced based primarily on skill, and secondarily on progression. F2P Models tend to imbalance this field, causing a significant issue in fun factor for those who do not wish to spend significant amounts of money in the cash shop. Since the majority of players enjoy balanced gameplay, it seems the F2P model is inappropriate for this game.

Profit

Sadly, this is one of the factors which drive the choice between F2P and P2P. Typically a game is released and purchased. After that, the player can enjoy the game without having to pay a fee. However, online games require maintenance, which isn't free. Most triple A MMOs make significantly more money through subscription fees than what it costs to maintain the servers and hire a development team for additional content. Less popular titles typically earn slightly more money from subscriptions than what they need to pay in maintenance, still netting a small amount of profit from the fees.

Free to play games appeal to players who are looking for that cheap way to get entertained. The players are less demanding, which means that they don't expect much in terms of new content. Server stability is typically rather poor for under supported F2P games; and the players are told to expect less in terms of compensation for server down time as a result of poor maintenance.

Titles which are using popular intellectual properties have a built-in subscriber base. Personally, I am interested in Mech Warrior Online because on of the first games I played on the computer was the original Mech Warrior game. It was what hooked me on multiplayer computer gaming, and its stuck with me ever since. I would imagine a lot of other games feel the same way. Also, this is one of the first Mech based MMO games we have seen on the market, which makes it a unique approach and entry to the market. With a good product, Mech Warrior should be able to get a healthy number of subscribers, providing increased profits for the company.

Finally, players in a Pay to Play system have to pay money up front to play the game. This creates a great opportunity for the company to make a return on investment and turn profitable. Pay to Play makes the project profitable faster than a free to play game.

Conclusion

I have said a lot about the two business models. I believe Free to Play is the wrong choice for this game. It will cater to a smaller audience, and limits the scope of post-release development. Free to play forces producers to make decisions based on expanding content on the game store, rather than expanding content for the game. It limits profitability for the company which also limits game improvements, server stability, and access to expansions. F2P takes long for the project to turn profitable. However, the most significant disadvantage to the F2P system is the detrimental impact it will have on the competitive nature of the game. When players benefit by spending money, the game loses any since of balance and causes a significant impact in the way players gain notoriety and power within the game environment.

Piranha made a terrible decision to announce the business model as early as they did. F2P is not a positive marketing tool; and in many cases, turns MMO players away from the game. F2P is not a feature that should be advertised. Rather, it signals to me that the company is not optimistic with the number of players willing to pay to play the game. This, in turn, makes me less likely to follow the development of the game, and makes me far less interested in trying it out.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Please provide your feedback and feel free to discuss the issue here.

#2 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

Honestly, I'd pay to play in a heartbeat if it'd help out.

#3 Ooya

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

Actually they might not have. If they decide to make Inner Sphere free to all and Clan pay to play, they might hit the jackpot on this.

#4 oZEROo

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

I dont know if this game could make it if it were subscription based IMO. F2P games make alot of money, plus they have a lot more players.

#5 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

They could have both.

Like a persistent Map Campaign a la Planetside for subscribers, with singular one off matches for F2P users.

#6 Tian

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

View PostOoya, on 01 November 2011 - 08:20 PM, said:

Actually they might not have. If they decide to make Inner Sphere free to all and Clan pay to play, they might hit the jackpot on this.

That's the kind of feedback and discussion I hope this thread would generate. I agree with this idea; however my problem with this is that those who pay to play should be able to get a hold of the cosmetic items at no additional cost through clan currencies earned by participating in Clan PvP.

AWESOME thought here. Keep the ideas rolling.

#7 Tian

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

View PostoZEROo, on 01 November 2011 - 08:21 PM, said:

I dont know if this game could make it if it were subscription based IMO. F2P games make alot of money, plus they have a lot more players.

Yes, free to play games can be successful, however it is easily argued that Pay to Play games have a much higher profit potential than Free to Play games. Furthermore, you are only focusing on 1 of the 4 factors of making a business model decision. Company profit is important, but it is definitely not the most important. Play-ability and fun factor w/ new content should be the primary focus when making a business model decision. Profit should be last.

Also, it should be noted that the majority of MMO players pay a subscription fee and they prefer to pay a subscription fee. This has been heavily studied and is easily researched.

Edited by Tian, 01 November 2011 - 08:27 PM.

#8 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

You do realize that the movement towards F2P in multiple titles is due to the economy right?Making a little known MMO P2P in a down economy doesn't sound like a smart idea.

#9 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

As a self proclaimed member of the hardcore , I intend and expect to pay something every month. Mostly likely commiserate to what I'd pay monthly for any other MMO.

If having it F2P increases the playerbase exponentially , I'm all for it . In most F2P games I've Heard / Read about it appears a Large percent make small ( read a few dollars a month ) purchases whereas the top few percent pay much higher.
I know the DotA clone Leauge of Legends has hit millions and millions of subscribers . I'm confident MWO can too .... It's Mechwarrior after all . What's cooler than that ?!?'. :)

#10 Tian

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

View Postgregsolidus, on 01 November 2011 - 08:30 PM, said:

You do realize that the movement towards F2P in multiple titles is due to the economy right?Making a little known MMO P2P in a down economy doesn't sound like a smart idea.

Mech Warrior is little known? Furthermore, the "bad economy" isn't as bad as you think as pre-order and subscription numbers for MMO games continue to reach new records. Furthermore, budget conscious gamers tend to prefer subscriptions for MMOs due to the increased costs of cash items.

You are also ignoring 3 of the 4 factors of making a business model decision: Content, Play-ability, and Fun Factor. You are sacrificing a lot by making a free to play model game. I'm fairly confident that with a good product, the game can be marketed and sold to 200,000+ gamers that will subscribe for the long term.

#11 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

View PostTian, on 01 November 2011 - 08:36 PM, said:

Mech Warrior is little known? Furthermore, the "bad economy" isn't as bad as you think as pre-order and subscription numbers for MMO games continue to reach new records. Furthermore, budget conscious gamers tend to prefer subscriptions for MMOs due to the increased costs of cash items.

You are also ignoring 3 of the 4 factors of making a business model decision: Content, Play-ability, and Fun Factor. You are sacrificing a lot by making a free to play model game. I'm fairly confident that with a good product, the game can be marketed and sold to 200,000+ gamers that will subscribe for the long term.

Mech Warrior has become little more than a fond memory in the past few years and is no longer relevant to the current generation (which will most likely change soon) and your model doesn't explain why larger MMOs like DCUO are going free to play.Furthermore, your "business model" is based off of nothing more than generalizations and assumptions making it's value suspect.

Edited by gregsolidus, 01 November 2011 - 09:11 PM.

#12 Sean Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

I am in favor of the Inner Sphere is F2P while clan is P2P. Not only will this help the devs have a steady cash flow, it will also (hopefully) set up the side in a more lore like manner. That is the Inner Sphere having more numbers than the clans. I would also hope that it would thin down the clans to those that actully like and care for the clan lore and culture, as well as Clan honor, and hopefully keep away some that just play clan for the omnimechs and do away with Zell.
Just my honor point on the idea.

Edited by Sean Pryde, 01 November 2011 - 09:12 PM.

#13 Tyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

View PostSean Pryde, on 01 November 2011 - 09:02 PM, said:

I am in favor of the Inner Sphere is F2P while clan is P2P. Not only will this help the devs have a steady cash flow, it will also (hopefully) set up the side in a more lore like manner. That is the Inner Sphere having more numbers than the clans. I would also hope that it would thin down the clans to those that actully like and care for the clan lore and culture, as well as Clan honor, and hopefully keep away some that just play clan for the omnimechs and away with Zell.
Just my honor point on the idea.

That would be interesting. It would be a sort of hybrid model like what Turbine utilizes. That is you pay for the content you want, either as a sub or in piecemeal.

#14 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

I have to pay for a major component of the Battletech mythos?

#15 BigDuke66

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

F2P is the way to go, there is a reason for more and more titles going this way.
Personally I simply don't like subscription because this no magazine that I can read when I want to, this is game and the clock is ticking down as sson as I bought I month no matter if I play or not, isn't this what most players of MMO bothers?
As said there is a reason for going F2P, even other niche games try the "store" way, "Rise of Flight" is an example and that isn't even an MMO but they make their money by making new planes and make enough not only to keep them making more but also to constantly expand the game and this in a market that is so tight like an ants ***.
F2P is the right way if combined with a shop that lets the player expand his game environment by buying mechs(and maybe later on other stuff like vehicles, ASFs, etc.) and battleground but also by buying neat stuff like paint jobs.
I don't see why this wouldn't make enough money especially as all these small sums will in the end be much more that the usual subscription fee, count the usual big expansion every 2 years and jackpot.
Also it is a much better way for the community to tell what they like or don't like simply by buying or not buying, what should I do with a 12 month subscription when the company decides to go the(in my opinion) wrong way? The bill for it isn't even big enough to wipe my *** with it.
Go F2P and Mechwarriorshop will rule!What Sean Pryde said is indeed interesting and it could go this way, if only the Clan part is P2P there will only be a small amount of players for them but I bet they are all dedicated from tip to toe, just the material you need for "The Clans" to really be "The Clans" and not a bunch of posers.

Edited by BigDuke66, 01 November 2011 - 09:31 PM.

#16 BobZeConqueror

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

It's simple really. The game will be f2p, and there is only one reason behind it. F2P and micro-transactions simply makes more money than P2P. I'm not saying that the f2p model is better, but it is simply the facts. A company is making the game, that company wants to make money, therefore it will be f2p.

#17 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:54 PM

View PostOoya, on 01 November 2011 - 08:20 PM, said:

I don't really feel this is fair to those who really really want to be Clanners. It's a good idea...but I don't want to penalize anyone for picking a faction that costs money when mine doesn't.

#18 Doomey

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

My experiences with Pay to play (Wow, Rift, CoH) and Free to Play (LoL, CoH) are pretty much that I was more than happy to pay my 15 dollars a month and have access to everything. But with stuff like League and City of Heroes I'm way more tempted to impulse buy and can easily spend 20+ dollars a month. I'm sure I'm not in the minority on this either considering so many F2P games are popping up and some subscription based games are switching to it. Why limit yourself to a subscription based business model?

If you really want to have a Subscription it should be something ala LOTR or what COH has switched too. Subscribers get everthing unlocked as long as they subscribe and get to unlock something they'd have permanent access to if they stop subscribing.

Edited by Doomey, 01 November 2011 - 10:27 PM.

#19 Valkyrie Vewas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPhx Az

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

Yah there is a reason I have NEVER played WOW...It's called P2P and believe me Im not alone on this. What ever happened to hey its 50 dollars and here is the download link.... Oh hey we have a mappack for 5.99, here is a mechpack for 10..... I much rather be milked that way lol

#20 Neozero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

Guys if you did not already know This franchise was already P2P at one point in the early days of dial up and AOL. Back then on AOL it was an hourly rate later it went to a monthly sub fee from Gamestorm that offered access to a suite of online games. At the time this was pretty revolutionary stuff, needless to say the game had a thriving community of dedicated players both on the hourly, and monthly payments. I speak of course about MPBT which was the dawn of online mechwarrior.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users