Pay to Play: Advocating a Subscription Based Game

44 replies to this topic

#41 Halflight

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:47 AM

I'd prefer B2P actually. Buy the box, get unlimited play, then supplement with a truly fluff cash shop.

I don't see a lot of customization opportunity in this game that won't somehow affect gameplay or give an advantage, so I can't see the cash shop not stocking the types of things that give F2P games a bad name. Unless they go the EVE route and charge ridiculous sums for purely aesthetic items. But then, they may as well be asking for donations.

B2P gives the company a big chunk of cash to work with up front, much like any single player title, that they can use to develop the next expansion. Then it's a case of rinse and repeat. To supplement that income and offset the nominal costs of server upkeep, the cash shop can remain in a state that most would accept and sell just fluff like camo schemes, pink fuzzy dice for your cockpit, or whatever else that really doesn't provide a game advantage.

I personally know hardcore Battletech enthusiasts who aren't into MMOs and will not pay a subscription fee for any game. But they will buy the box because that's what they're use to and what they've always done. Myself, I would subscribe. I'd just rather not.

#42 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:12 AM

Easiest way to do it is this, for me.

Free to play, with the ability to pay to play for those that purely want to support the game. No bonuses.

Get to see the people who really care.

#43 Sheilei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationOn a mountain shelf in the middle of freakin' nowhere.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

If this becomes an F2P game i'll just play it briefly for the sake of nostalgia...P2P is the only viable model for me. Period.

#44 BigDuke66

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

Silly, so instead of paying for what you want and supporting the game this way you want to pay month by month?
P2P is dead, thats why more and more change their business model to F2P, only big exception are the kiddies from WoW but who cares as long as mommy pays.
SUPPORT THE GAME!

#45 omegaclawe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

Y'know, it's not like the dev's just spun a roulette wheel to decide what the payment model would be; they've already had this discussion in detail, no doubt, with far more accurate and relevant information than we have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users