71 replies to this topic

#21 Karrig Fetladral

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 167 posts
  • LocationBreak room, getting coffee

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Wow, that is some wicked dedication, power to the players.

I did a Plasma cut out of a Cougar a few years back ...always wanted to make a skeletal frame of a Mad Cat/Timber Wolf, thought it would make a really nice/odd shelving.

#22 Lyon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLumberton, MS

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

That Cougar you mentioned, I love the outline and loadouts. If you could build the Mad Cat to scale, wouldn't you? You should try it. It's not hard to do this, we found. It's a lot of time and welding rods and argon gas, but it's do-able.

The Dervish and the Shootist were the ones I wanted to build for so long. The Dervish is still something I'm planning on for later, but the Shootist is just too rare of a Mech to have much broad appeal. Why build it if no one will want it?

I'd build a Locust in a heartbeat. Atlas is uninteresting. The Zeus....that is just sexy, I'd build one just for me. Archer, too.

#23 sadamle

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

It's only a success and awesome if it's in your computer room, being used! MOAR PHOTOS!

#24 M4NTiC0R3X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

That could be the single greatest piece of fan art I have ever seen, congratulations and good job!

#25 Lyon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLumberton, MS

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Thanks, guys!

Here's another pic, with my brother Richard next to it for scale. He's 6'2", if that helps. I'd take a picture of it right now, but we pulled it apart for some minor changes (sheet metal on the butt area, base coat of black paint on the legs, etc.) See the little spots of red laser light on his chest? TAG, baby!

Posted Image

We still have a ton of little things to do. We have to fabricate the latches for the LRM boxes, add sheet metal to several spots, paint it completely (NEED IDEAS FOR THE LEGS!!), and do a full assembly and run test.

Edited by Lyon, 23 February 2012 - 03:26 PM.

#26 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

wow beautiful job! Thx for posting the pics! WOOT

Edited by XxDRxDEATHxX, 23 February 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#27 BerserX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 424 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

View PostLyon, on 23 February 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

BerserX: All three. Used MIG, 3/32" 309L stainless for TIG, for stick we used 1/8" and 3/32" 7018 and 6010. I'm NOT the welder here, so I'm getting the answers from my brother. I'm the guy on the CAD software, general metal grinder, and shop helper. I thought it up, he built it. There have been EPIC battles over the design, but we're happy with the direction this prototype has taken. Now I have a hull design I can modify to a fare-thee-well, and he can build it with standard low-carbon steel. We're thinking about aluminum in the much longer run, but for now, we just want to make very very large gaming PCs.

Barantor: Naga has forward knees, Arrow IVs, and a general humanoid shape. This is a lighter medium chickenwalker, but I see your point. Even my non-Mech-fanatic brother sees the disturbing resemblance to that Clan Wolf reject pile of endosteel. There will be seppuku tomorrow, after tea. This was to be a "non-Raven". We have failed.

Raven-ous, indeed...

I was wondering, because I am working on my certifications. I am certified to do stick structural plate welds; and I should be receiving my MIG certification, soon. I will be getting into TIG later this semester.

Currently, I am practicing running E6010's around pipe, in preparation for structural groove welds. I have passed my position-2 and -5 practice welds, and am working on my position-6 one. I hope to start joining pipe on Monday.

Good luck on your 'Mechs! If was rich, I'd order one too!

#28 Lyon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLumberton, MS

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

Richard used 6010 stick for most of the load-bearing parts, and since he has done so much oilfield welding work, he acquired a lot of scrap short pieces of large-diameter pipe. That meant easy joint work for us, and lots of basic stick welding. Then came the sheet metal, and he tried TIG on that for a while, but it made Rich a cranky thing to be around, given how much argon and (just a guess) really expensive little filler rods we were using. We switched to a little Lincoln sparkbox for the remaining sheet metal and we've been making glorious welds ever since.

Now he's teaching me to weld MIG-style, but keeping me far away from any projects we intend to sell. Turned out to more fun that ought to be legal.

Good luck on your welding classes! I have gained a whole new respect for the art of metal joining now, having seen Rich do it for hours and hours on end now.

Edited by Lyon, 24 February 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#29 Morgana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCleaning 10-year old dust out of Cockpit!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

All I can say is Posted Image

#30 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:02 AM

Posted Image

Can my PC have your PC's babies.... that is one sick and amazing case mech mod... fan-freaking-tastic!

#31 GDL Germ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:21 AM

That's pretty cool I was expecting it to be bigger.Was going to ask how the hell will you fit it in your house, but now that I've seen the comparsion shot well.. =)

#32 warpig07

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostLyon, on 23 February 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

Thanks, guys!

Here's another pic, with my brother Richard next to it for scale. He's 6'2", if that helps. I'd take a picture of it right now, but we pulled it apart for some minor changes (sheet metal on the butt area, base coat of black paint on the legs, etc.) See the little spots of red laser light on his chest? TAG, baby!

Posted Image

We still have a ton of little things to do. We have to fabricate the latches for the LRM boxes, add sheet metal to several spots, paint it completely (NEED IDEAS FOR THE LEGS!!), and do a full assembly and run test.

my god. that beard has a man!

ok serious, this is freaking glorious. excellent work

#33 Lyon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLumberton, MS

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

View Postwarpig07, on 26 February 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

my god. that beard has a man!

ok serious, this is freaking glorious. excellent work

Laughed for several minutes at that one, then tracked down Richard so he'd go look. He's evenly divided between flattered and outraged (hey, I loved the beard comment). We have been inspired by the comments over the last few days, and now we're fired up to build some new designs. By the way, expect more pics soon, we're reassembling the MekPC today so I can do a full run-up test (no, it's NOT going into the house today, it'll have to play outside in the welding shop).

#34 BerserX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 424 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

Y'all should do an Owens, at some point. No matter what, though: I'm inspired to start doing some metalwork of my own!

#35 Lyon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLumberton, MS

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

I'm putting a desk in next to it tomorrow, since it's easier to move a desk... Next one is going out to a paint booth for someone else to paint a 10th Lyran Guards parade scheme on it.

Posted Image

Edited by Lyon, 26 February 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#36 Dashiel Ironrush

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:04 AM

WOW!!!! Strap Weld a seat to the back, and you'll actually be in the game!!!

#37 Ulric Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:08 AM

Good stuff!

#38 warpig07

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostLyon, on 26 February 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

Laughed for several minutes at that one, then tracked down Richard so he'd go look. He's evenly divided between flattered and outraged (hey, I loved the beard comment). We have been inspired by the comments over the last few days, and now we're fired up to build some new designs. By the way, expect more pics soon, we're reassembling the MekPC today so I can do a full run-up test (no, it's NOT going into the house today, it'll have to play outside in the welding shop).

oh trust me, as a fellow bear wearer, he should be proud of that

#39 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

Clan Man Bear.

#40 Karrig Fetladral

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 167 posts
  • LocationBreak room, getting coffee

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Wow seeing those new pictures have made that out to be a lot nice then I first thought.

With the Mad Cat idea that I would like to do there’s something I just thought of that might make a "custom" pc just the biggest fattest wet dream. You can really do this for every mech, just needs lots of time and money. For the cockpit you turn that area and where the reactor would be into you towers play space. Having the back or side removable and the cockpit as a way to look into the mech making it almost seems real. Then comes of how much computing power you want to throw into that, along with if you want fan cooled or liquid cooling system. Run all power cables ...most likely with extensions internally and threw one of the legs, USB ports to run into the pelvic joints, crock section or nose of the cockpit. Turn the arms and LRM racks into selves and or additional storage space for router.

You can probably do more I just don’t have time to think about them about to leave for my next class.

I would love to find a welder near me with the gear and time to make one; I just don’t have the money being a college student. I got a design lying around somewhere that I want to use to give a visual example.

I really do enjoy what you have there; it’s incredible to say the least. It’s inspiring to both other fans and those that make this Battle Tech universe so fun and vast for so many people to think of it more than just another game. With the new paint scheme it pushes me a little farther for what I think of next.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users