#101 Saybin Iacere

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 56 posts
  • LocationCanada Land!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostAlaskan Viking, on 05 March 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

But I hope the OP's question was not serious? Furries do not belong in Battletech; if some MWO players who happen to also be members of the fandom want to join the MWO community, awesome, the more players the better, but I really do not want to see an entire lance of pink mech's with furry art on them.....for me it would detract from the immersion.

Sounds like stereotyping to Me. I am a plane enthusiast and like making plane themed paint schemes from planes and putting them on w/e I can. Furs can do the same, and I doubt it would be "pink". And some show taught me that was "light red"...

#102 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

I feel obliged to point out that the FWL spends half its time running around with purple mechs :)

Still, I can see where Alaskan Viking is coming from, not that furries should be singled out there. The same could be said for a lot of non-BT stuff.

Edited by Catamount, 06 March 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#103 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

View PostAlaskan Viking, on 05 March 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

But I hope the OP's question was not serious? Furries do not belong in Battletech; if some MWO players who happen to also be members of the fandom want to join the MWO community, awesome, the more players the better, but I really do not want to see an entire lance of pink mech's with furry art on them.....for me it would detract from the immersion.

You mean something like this?

Posted Image

or this?

Posted Image

At least they are not pink, we will leave that to the FWL. :)

#104 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Only you can prevent Furry Fires.

Im good with furs, ponies or whatever in the MW / BT community. Its all fun even though its not my cup of tea. BUT, in game I want to see Mechs in the BT universe. Id be very disappointed to see anything non-BT in game that is overtly part of another genre including anything furry or pony. Im sure this fear is unfounded.. I dont want MWO to become a farce.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 06 March 2012 - 09:21 AM.

#105 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

This pic always reminded me of the Mudflap Girl, I wonder if any of the mech reboots will have mudflaps...
Posted Image Posted Image

#106 Cruiser

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

I'm sure this guy would make a good commander in the battletech universe. Just look at that winning smile XD

Posted Image

#107 Insidious Johnson

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostThomas Hogarth, on 05 March 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

I wish FD would incorporate more anthropomorphic characters into the concept art. Encourage tolerance and understanding!

Yeah, encourage tolerance and understanding. How does that fit into canon? Is there much of that in BT? Or is it a constant cascade of factions scrambling to get ahead of the tech chain by climbing on the heads of others? In a politically correct world where on one hand you have the freedom to say what you truly think is offset by an unnatural urge to conform to modes and norms which are not your own (or be damned!), this game and those like it are probably the only distractions left which prevent real and bloody conflicts. It is a simple construct that lets people deal with VALID differences and sometimes outright hatred by viscerally blasting the bejebus outta things. Muck it up, and those same folks are more inclined to take it to the streets. I know if I didn't have this, I'd go OWS hunting. So keep your peace and love in context and where it belongs, some chemically induced drum circle at a Phish show.

Unless you are just being a facetious troll, in which case I salute you! You got me!

Edited by Insidious Johnson, 06 March 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#108 Peace Possum

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 56 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC, USA, Terra

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostInsidious Johnson, on 06 March 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

Yeah, encourage tolerance and understanding. How does that fit into canon? Is there much of that in BT? Or is it a constant cascade of factions scrambling to get ahead of the tech chain by climbing on the heads of others? In a politically correct world where on one hand you have the freedom to say what you truly think is offset by an unnatural urge to conform to modes and norms which are not your own (or be damned!), this game and those like it are probably the only distractions left which prevent real and bloody conflicts. It is a simple construct that lets people deal with VALID differences and sometimes outright hatred by viscerally blasting the bejebus outta things. Muck it up, and those same folks are more inclined to take it to the streets. I know if I didn't have this, I'd go OWS hunting. So keep your peace and love in context and where it belongs, some chemically induced drum circle at a Phish show.

Unless you are just being a facetious troll, in which case I salute you! You got me!

It seems quite obvious to me that you are unfamiliar with Thomas Hogarth's subtlety.
EDIT: For a Lyran, he's damn well invisible!

Edited by Fredrick, 06 March 2012 - 09:43 PM.

#109 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

All that fur and funny masks... just makes me wanna start calling primary targets. In any event, to each there own.

Remember, masks will cost you in peripheral vision and it gonna be tough working the keyboard with a hoof.. or whatever.

Good Luck, we'll be gunning for you like everyone else.

#110 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

Posted Image

Edited by Deathscream, 07 March 2012 - 07:22 AM.

#111 Shalmyan Moonsong

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

I don't have a problem with furries either, have may friends what are into them....

However, there are no human/animal races in the Battletech universe, other then. in the of some short stories made in the 80's, that were non cannon, fan fic that got posted in in fan published gaming mags. There are no Anmorpohics in Battletech, Inner Sphere or Clan, Just like there are no Jedi, or Starfleet in Battletech.

#112 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

That's not the point! the point is, what if there was? It's not like it's actually gonna happen ;)

#113 iamfanboy

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

I can't hardly imagine an internet without furries. I mean, the furry 'fetish', such as it is, has been around since... oh, Crumb Comics in the 60s? Maybe even earlier. But only the Internet gave furries the access to each other that made it... okay to be interested in human/animal anthropormorphic sexy things.
It's objectively no weirder than latex, foot obsession, smoking, or that sort of thing, and CERTAINLY a lot less weird than diaper/scat/guro.
On the other hand... uhh... why do furries hate bronies? THAT'S a stereotype I've never seen before. Usually furries only hate someone that hates on them first - oh, the glorious 4chan raids of yore - and preemptive hate doesn't seem... well... their style.
Have all the nice furries defected to the brony camp, leaving behind only the bitter, misanthropic ones? From some of the r34 ALREADY floating around of MLP (bah), I wouldn't be surprised... could it be that they're mad because bronies stole some of the best furry artists or something?
It is a puzzle to me. But an amusing one, as furries always have been.

#114 Lorcan Lladd

• 1,037 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

And I quote:

Calbeck said:

Roy Calbeck is an anthro unicorn, and the only canon furry character in Battletech.

In 1993, then-President of FASA Sam Lewis asked me to write up a treatment for an Eridani Light Horse scenario pack. The history section to this project, never itself approved for publication, leaked to the Internet and became a fan favorite for ELH buffs, appearing on numerous fansites as though it were official material.

When WizKids took over the Battletech property in the aftermath of FASA's demise in 2000, they launched an official website called ClassicBattletech.com. In its very first version, the site published the ELH history I'd written as official: WizKids had adopted my material. Mind you, since they never had permission or a contract to use it, the act of adoption was also an act of piracy, but that's being handled elsewhere.

In this version of the ELH History (which as per standing FASA/WizKids policy, replaced the preceding versions in all points of difference), the Eridani Light Horse fought a massive battle against Clans Jade Falcon and Steel Viper on the world of Orkney in November 3051. In the process, the 71st Light Horse Regiment was wiped out with the sole exception of one man...Sergeant Roy Calbeck, platoon leader of four Pegasus-class scout tanks, which themselves had been destroyed trying to defend a forward medical station.

As sole survivor of the regiment, Roy was breveted to the position of Major (the lowest rank allowed to command such an organization) to serve as a legal placeholder so the unit would not have to be officially disbanded. The bereaved soldier was given indefinite leave to sort himself out, whereupon he immediately repaired to the nearest starport cantina and began trying to drink himself to death.

Three days into that binge, on the edge of complete internal organ failure, Major Calbeck reportedly vanished into thin air, in front of several witnesses.

That much is official canon. As the author of that canon, I can point out that this was only the start of Roy's adventures...before I even began writing this material for FASA, I'd adopted him as my online roleplaying persona, starting in 1991.

The upshot is that, as a matter of quantum irregularity, every universe has a set level of background energy that is commonly referred to as "mana". The multiverse is essentially glued together with the stuff, with each plane of existence "stuck" to the next with mana. The amount, spread, and quality of mana differs between universes: in the Battletech milieu, it's so light as to be almost nonexistent, albeit spread very evenly.

In such a universe, study and implementation of magic is next to impossible. Only those with natural affinity for mana can harness it at all, and usually do so at the level of your average psychic. It's purely intuitive and limited in scope, taking someone who would naturally amount to a Merlin or Elminster in another universe to do anything truly miraculous with it.

Roy Calbeck, for the Battletech universe, is one of those one-in-a-billion types...and it took him getting so wasted he nearly died to trigger a desperate, subconscious reaction. Part of him still wanted to live.

That part tapped into the multiverse, found a link to the nearest multidimensional gateway (known to its patrons as the Past and Future Inn), and bodily dragged him there, using the newfound energy in that nexus to change his form into that of something which could handle the alcoholic poisons afflicting his body. Roy's platoon had belonged to the 71st Light Horse's 11th Recon Company, nicknamed "Macomber's Unicorns", and so his subconscious matched his new appearance to that of his unit mascot.

As an anthropomorphized unicorn, he was able to detoxify his system, recover, and have the time necessary to come to grips with his newly-discovered abilities. In the first few hours of that process, he threw up on a dragon mage and then slept off his initial binge in a fish tank.

Since then, Roy has taken gratuituous advantage of his situation to travel the multiverse, initially with the idea of scouting out new technology to benefit the Eridani on his return. Still being on indefinite leave, and with the discovery that time spent outside his home universe didn't affect the passage of time there, he spent over a decade learning to control and refine his powers. He met new friends, allies and enemies, battled across dozens of realities, and amassed a pile of gold and other tradeable valuables for his ultimate return home. He has been a Temporal Corps agent as well as a Gaming Guardian, and considers FurryMuck to be his home away from home.

Currently, negotiations with WizKids (with the helpful assistance of Battletech's current license owner Loren Coleman) continue. I intend to retain copyright to Roy regardless of all else, and at this point WizKids has agreed in principle that I should be allowed to create and have published the final version of the ELH History --- including my own original material, so long as the end result fits into the overall BT canon. We shall see what we shall see...but don't be too surprised if a future Battletech product sports, somewhere in its pages, the image of a cigar-chomping unicorn riding in the open hatch of a hovertank on the move.

Last edited by Calbeck; 08-17-2011 at 06:05 PM.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

http://forums.furaff...ttletech-and-Me
______________________________________________________________________________________________

That's how close to canon Battletech furries are, and how much closer they could have been...
...And might still.

Edited by Lorcan Lladd, 08 March 2012 - 01:10 AM.

#115 Curon Hifor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMy Enforcer

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostWatchit, on 07 March 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

That's not the point! the point is, what if there was? It's not like it's actually gonna happen :)

I would expect little impact. Certain individuals of different 'races' would have a few advantages in narrow windows, whereas humans would be (as always) fairly generalist. Not to mention, it would be more of a aesthetic and artistic rendition of certain characters anyway. Sure, you might get some in-character, in-universe racism going on, but that's to be expected between Houses and planets even amongst regular humans.

#116 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

View PostDeathscream, on 07 March 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

Posted Image

FOR THE EMPRAH!!!! BURN THEM, THEY IGNITE LIKE CHEAP POLYESTER!!!! (pun about furry costumes intended!)

#117 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:35 AM

View PostLorcan Lladd, on 08 March 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

And I quote:

That's how close to canon Battletech furries are, and how much closer they could have been...
...And might still.

As a relaxed Furry myself, I have to say I am absolutely glad this guy was put into his place by Microsoft/FASA. He tried to add his own personality into someone else Universe. He's a fool and should be in no way considered canon. If furries are to be in Battletech, it should be in personal use and not made a big deal of in a main story plot.

Now please, back to a different subject than that guy. He doesn't deserve to be discussed any more.

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 20 March 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

Posted Image

FOR THE EMPRAH!!!! BURN THEM, THEY IGNITE LIKE CHEAP POLYESTER!!!! (pun about furry costumes intended!)

I love that pic....... I'm going to save it. For personal records....... of course.....
The funniest part is the source URL for the picture is "furrie-no-spamflamingpony-please." Like the thread Title. ;)

Also: I am glad we have a thread to converse in. Thanks Original Poster!

Edited by omega5-9er, 21 March 2012 - 01:46 AM.

#118 Cody Machado

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • Locationnomad

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:51 AM

Ok I know this unit is manly tanks but, do I have to make this merc unit my http://www.sarna.net/wiki/The_Furiest or will some one do all the work so I dont have to?

#119 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

View PostLorcan Lladd, on 08 March 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

And I quote:

...And might still.

Looks like someone was a fan of Area 88 for that one.
Posted Image
Almost identical except that it's missing the cigar.

#120 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

Moving right along.........

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users