Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries mouse problem

15 replies to this topic

#1 Rutto

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

I got this annoying problem. when i moving the mouse small distances doesn't seem to register, I need to move it further to get a response. Like stuck in the mud.
Any1 else got this same problem?

Need to get rid of it! Cant hit even a barn wall at 50m ;) and the zooming... you can forget that...

#2 Tarnish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

This is a common problem on Windows Vista and Windows 7 systems when playing games using the Mechwarrior 4 engine. It may not be possible to fix it depending on your mouse.

Open the Control Panel and go to the Mouse settings. Its under "Hardware and Sound" if you're using the Category view. Select the "Pointer Options" tab and turn off "Enhance Pointer Precision". This worked for me with a Logitech M705, but some folks have had no luck with this with other brands of mice.

Hope that helps.

#3 Rutto

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:42 AM

It didnt work :(

I dont know why, but i cant play it in fullscreen. FPS is like 5... when i hit Alt+Enter to put it in window then i got max FPS. And the funny thing is that the mouse works just fine in the fullscreen mode, but when the game is in window then the mouse is like stuck in the mud.

always something :D When you get something to work, then some other things r fu*ked...

Edited by Rutto, 12 September 2012 - 12:44 AM.

#4 Taffer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 500 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

I'm trying to get into mw4 but this mouse issue makes it unplayable. :( I don't have pointer precision enabled.

#5 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

MW4 is pretty unplayable with a mouse anyway. Use a joystick :(

#6 Taffer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 500 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

Before setting up a joystick I wanted to make sure it worked. I assume if it's this bad with my mouse it will be just as terrible with a joystick. Guess I'll have to see.

#7 Sizz

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

have the same problem as well. Haven't tried that control panel settings though

#8 Stoicblitzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

same problem. uninstalling now.

#9 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

this problem is still here. i have a mouse pointer that moves independently from cross hairs in game.

#10 John Mechlane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 164 posts
  • LocationBehind you...in a locust

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:12 AM

Gonna resurrect this topic. Solution anyone? Aiming is almost impossible. Holding the crosshairs to lock? forget it! sniping? nah....All i can do is circling the target, and when it moves under the crosshairs i alphastrike him. All this without moving the mouse...it's a pain.
I read through a lot of forums, no one has any solution. There are some reports of fixes. (like mouse driver config, vga driver config, etc), but those only seem to work for the people posting them.

#11 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:14 AM

Any new solutions? I'm without Internet and I need my mechwarrior fix!

#12 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:45 AM

View PostRutto, on 10 September 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

I got this annoying problem. when i moving the mouse small distances doesn't seem to register, I need to move it further to get a response. Like stuck in the mud.

Need to get rid of it! Cant hit even a barn wall at 50m Posted Image and the zooming... you can forget that...

View PostTaffer, on 08 October 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

I'm trying to get into mw4 but this mouse issue makes it unplayable. Posted Image I don't have pointer precision enabled.

View PostSizz, on 08 October 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

have the same problem as well. Haven't tried that control panel settings though

View PostStoicblitzer, on 01 December 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

same problem. uninstalling now.

View PostJaniTheWeedman, on 27 December 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

Gonna resurrect this topic. Solution anyone? Aiming is almost impossible. Holding the crosshairs to lock? forget it! sniping? nah....All i can do is circling the target, and when it moves under the crosshairs i alphastrike him. All this without moving the mouse...it's a pain.
I read through a lot of forums, no one has any solution. There are some reports of fixes. (like mouse driver config, vga driver config, etc), but those only seem to work for the people posting them.

View Postadamts01, on 24 October 2015 - 07:14 AM, said:

Any new solutions? I'm without Internet and I need my mechwarrior fix!

i read in a forum that maximizing the mouse sensitivity will improve the whole choppy mouse movement problematic.
Just try it out and judge for yourself d@_@d

#13 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:29 AM

View PostRutto, on 10 September 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

Need to get rid of it! Cant hit even a barn wall at 50m Posted Image and the zooming... you can forget that...

after testing and reading a bit about the problem i did this, and i have the feeling that it at least improves the situation.
I set in nvidia control panel for mechwarrior 4 mercs profile

pre-rendered scenes = 1
vertycal synchronisation = on

ingame changes:
mouse sensitivity to middle of the bar

mouse changes:
set dpi to 2nd lowest setting (i good buttons on the mouse to adjust it)

feel free to try it out and make yourself an opinion, i find it helps.
But fixing the problem completely seems to be a thing that quiet some guys was breaking their heads about.

*also set compatibility mode to windows xp service pack 3
(right mouse click on MW4 shortcut>properties>compatibility mode)

Edited by shr84, 03 April 2016 - 10:38 AM.

#14 Taffer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 500 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:52 PM

Hi guys, I'm digging this one up again. I can't believe it was that long ago that I gave up on MW4. :\

I've gotten back into the 'legacy gaming computer' running XP and a bunch of old stuff I had, including an old CRT monitor too. I've been installing and playing a bunch of old games and I was reminded of MechWarrior and how I thought it would run (control) better on XP.

I don't know if MW4 ever worked 'well' with mouse control, I never played it before several years ago when I tried it on Win7. It was unplayable with mouse in win7. Anyway today I tried it in Windows XP and it's still pretty awful. Somehow it's not as horrible in XP, but it still does the same goofy mouse acceleration to an extent.

No amount of playing with the sensitivity or dpi or anything produces good results. I've tried USB mice with different DPI settings, and an old PS/2 ball type mouse (you know with the ball that rolls on the mouse pad), and I just can't get rid of that weird mouse jumping acceleration that MW4 has. Anyway, it's just playable enough in Windows XP that you can.....play the game. In Windows 7 the mouse just jumps all across the screen with barely any input (if you can even make it move much at all), but in XP it only tends to jump enough to overshoot a target.

I played some missions with my mouse in XP and it works well enough that I can play, but I thought I'd try a joystick. annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd It works. I'm using a Saitek X52 and the game is actually playable. It's still rather hard to keep the crosshair on the enemy, especially to get a lock for missiles, but at least it doesn't magically overshoot all the time. I mean it's still pretty easy to overshoot with a joystick, but that's because it's a joystick; I think I prefer it over having the game wrestling the crosshair from the mouse.

So from what I've seen:
mouse in windows 7, unplayable no matter what.
Mouse in XP, playable, but still odd acceleration
Joystick works equally well in win7 and XP.

So if you don't have XP handy, get a joystick and you'll actually be able to play, and then you may as well check out the older titles too.

Now to try and get Interstate 76 working.

PS I did the 'magnet mod' on my X52 which removes that lame dead zone it's built with.

Edited by Taffer, 30 May 2016 - 06:57 PM.

#15 Fr3d0x

• Pip
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMilan, Italy

Posted 02 May 2022 - 09:05 PM

View Post1312SHR1312, on 03 April 2016 - 10:29 AM, said:

after testing and reading a bit about the problem i did this, and i have the feeling that it at least improves the situation.
I set in nvidia control panel for mechwarrior 4 mercs profile

pre-rendered scenes = 1
vertycal synchronisation = on

ingame changes:
mouse sensitivity to middle of the bar

mouse changes:
set dpi to 2nd lowest setting (i good buttons on the mouse to adjust it)

feel free to try it out and make yourself an opinion, i find it helps.
But fixing the problem completely seems to be a thing that quiet some guys was breaking their heads about.

*also set compatibility mode to windows xp service pack 3
(right mouse click on MW4 shortcut>properties>compatibility mode)

This is the solution, it worked and fixed the problem. Thank you.

#16 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 03:06 PM

Recently I installed MW4M and played it (because I miss Duncan Fisher's voice commenting over mech battles) surprisingly managed to make it work despite some issues, and along I stumbled upon this thread, and I thought it was interesting...the game was meant to be played with joystick, if you didn't have a joystick you did your best with the keyboard ,it's weird but one gets used to it...you kids today have it so easy.

To be honest I wasn't sure at first because it was a long time ago but yeah I don't even remember using the mouse at any other than the mechlab or to click in which planet to go next

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users