Which Fictional Universe Would you Live in?

86 replies to this topic

Poll: Which universe? (96 member(s) have cast votes)

Which fictional setting?

1. Star Trek (TNG-era) (11 votes [11.46%])

Percentage of vote: 11.46%

2. Star Wars (after movies) (13 votes [13.54%])

Percentage of vote: 13.54%

3. Halo (pre/post-Covenant) (2 votes [2.08%])

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

4. EVE Online (most recent update) (1 votes [1.04%])

Percentage of vote: 1.04%

5. Stargate* (see thread) (1 votes [1.04%])

6. Mass Effect (pre-Reaping) (9 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

7. Firefly 'verse (post-Unification) (5 votes [5.21%])

Percentage of vote: 5.21%

8. Babylon 5 (pre/post-war) (4 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

9. Warhammer 40k (r u srs?!) (3 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

10. Battletech (pre-Jihad) (28 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

11. Battlestar (pre-Holocaust) (2 votes [2.08%])

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

12. Macross (5 votes [5.21%])

Percentage of vote: 5.21%

13. Andromeda (before the Long Night) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

14. Farscape (1 votes [1.04%])

15. Other (please explain) (11 votes [11.46%])

What would you do?

1. Join the military (note, I doubt VERY highly you will be a starship captain) (42 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

2. Illegitimate space-man (pirating, black market and the like) (9 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

3. Legitimate space-man (trading, transport and the like) (14 votes [14.58%])

Percentage of vote: 14.58%

4. Scientist/engineer (technobabbler's wet dream) (11 votes [11.46%])

5. Farmer (assume hovering tractor) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Civilian (simple life, simple job) (10 votes [10.42%])

Percentage of vote: 10.42%

7. Other (please state, don't be picky with above choices) (10 votes [10.42%])

Where would you live?

1. Earth/Terra/Human Homeworld (urban) (18 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

2. Earth/Terra/Human Homeworld (rural) (11 votes [11.46%])

3. Colonist (highly populated) (18 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

4. Colonist (low population) (13 votes [13.54%])

Percentage of vote: 13.54%

5. Space station (Citadel/Forerunner megastructures = colonies) (10 votes [10.42%])

6. Space ship (not as cool as it sounds, believe me) (26 votes [27.08%])

Percentage of vote: 27.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostGDL Rahsan, on 26 February 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Catamount knows what he is talking about, I did keep Star Trek as my second choice and Stargate as my third but the Face of Mankind universe is too good to live in, sure there is the whole political struggle between the corps and the government but the civilians do have a good life around there.

I'd be interested to know more about what makes the Face of Humankind universe good; I'm not familiar with the franchise.

Edited by Catamount, 26 February 2012 - 12:10 PM.

#42 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

I'm living as a scientists or technical consultant in a small colony just out on the periphery of the United Federation of Planets.
I haven't faced the Borg, Romulans, or any of that. In fact the worst I've dealt with is some Ferengi merchant that comes by now and then to try selling his wares at inflated prices.

#43 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

Question 1: which universe would you set yourself in?

My own. I've created a post-apolyptic horror setting with a strong biopunk subtheme.

The whole thing is set about 50 years (no one really knows) after the 'fall'.
Basically, a few corporations survived the 'fall' and are starting to rebuild in relative peace.
It doesn't take them long to start struggling over the remains, though.
Biological modifications have lead to a flora and fauna that's rather nasty.
(Of course, 50 years of no gardening did their part, too.)

I'm rather thorough in doing my research, so I've still got lots of blank space to fill.

Question 2: what would your career be?

"I'm a scientist.

Working for a corporation means food and housing are provided for me.
Boring but relatively safe life, aside from the odd failed experiment.
No scavenging for food, no fighting against the local fauna, only minimal problems with the neighbors, no bandits...
in short: a lot more life quality than Joe Average Survivor could hope for."

Question 3: where would you live mainly?

"In my lab. In my quarter. Sure, I can go outside whenever I want, but there's no escape from this place.
Whenever I leave the perimeter, they catch me.
'It's for your own safety' they say, but I know they just want to keep me for themselves.
That's the downside: Living like a bird in a golden cage.
They must have implanted a chip somewhere.
I'll have to try and sneak into medical... use that scanner... and the other equipment."

Also, if I had the OOC knowledge, the descriptions would be completely different.
Well, let's just leave it at "I didn't talk about the horror part".

View PostCatamount, on 26 February 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

Star Trek is like the perfect universe, as a 5 year old would envision it, without the drawbacks. You really DO get to be/do anything you want, and most of the life-engulfing concerns that make life not fun in the here and now are long gone. Additionally, the future is boundless and bright. Anyone who'd turn that down is either masochistic, or high.

... or wearing a red shirt.

face of mankind

Aside from the fights between FDC and GoM, the corrupt LED officers, the candymans of the brotherhood and the constant strife between the corporations, yes, Face of Mankind is quite the nice universe for the average citizen.

#44 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

To live in, Star Trek: TNG. Pretty peaceful times, the star ships of the federation are relatively comfortable, and they have working communism! How can you go wrong?

#45 Wespe

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationJita 4-4 Caldari Navy Assembly

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

So i'm the only one so far who voted EVE Online :D. Well yeah i do like the it's hypercapital sandbox atmosphere, where you truly work for what you have and the possibilities are endless. You can make money out of anything, really. I made hundreds of millions just ******* of peaceful miners :). But on a more serious note it's universe is really deeply complex and well thought. I'm not an old eve player but the game itself grabbed me and bashed to the wall real hard till i got past the "3 month trial of intelligence and survival", after that it is awesome.

To keep thing short yeah i would definately live in the EVE universe as a mercenary/privateer/navy officer in my favy role: Electronic Warfare :P I would fly the Falcon class Force Recon ship and the Widow class Black Ops Battleship as i do ingame. Oh and a little bit of Stealth Bomber love too, Manticore FTW ^_^. For the State!

Edited by Wespe, 26 February 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#46 NameTheftVictim

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

I suppose Star Trek's universe would be the most comfortable to live in, but out of curiosity, I'd like to see what the 41st millennium is like. I'd probably regret it and get traumatized for life by the grimmness of it if I survive, but hey...

Star Wars seems pretty cool, too, but only if I stay as far away from Tatooine as possible. The idea of being digested alive by a Sarlaac just horrifies me. *shudders*

#47 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

View PostNameTheftVictim, on 26 February 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

I suppose Star Trek's universe would be the most comfortable to live in, but out of curiosity, I'd like to see what the 41st millennium is like. I'd probably regret it and get traumatized for life by the grimmness of it if I survive, but hey...

Star Wars seems pretty cool, too, but only if I stay as far away from Tatooine as possible. The idea of being digested alive by a Sarlaac just horrifies me. *shudders*

Why would Star Trek by grim in ~40,000 years? They're not much difference than the society of the Ancients in Stargate, and that civilization lasted millions of years before ascending to a higher plane of existence (doesn't sound so bad)

#48 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

Macross
Civillian
Space Station
I will do Holographic Clothes.
Or enable people to chose their own gravity at home . .
Especially me myself! I want to be able to change clothes with a flick of the wrist and be able to float at home damn it! ò,Ó

#49 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Holographic...clothes?

I have this image of someone being a real-life troll, walking into a crowd of people wearing those, and setting off an EMP

#50 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

Well, i think it is holographic clothes . .
Been 2 weeks or so since i last saw do you remember love ^^

#51 NameTheftVictim

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostCatamount, on 26 February 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

Why would Star Trek by grim in ~40,000 years? They're not much difference than the society of the Ancients in Stargate, and that civilization lasted millions of years before ascending to a higher plane of existence (doesn't sound so bad)

Sorry. By "41st millennium" I was referring to Warhammer 40,000.

#52 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostNameTheftVictim, on 26 February 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

Sorry. By "41st millennium" I was referring to Warhammer 40,000.

Ah, now I get it :D

Yeah, I'm not sure how long I could stay sane either...

#53 Tadakuma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

At the risk of sounding a little highbrow I'm going introduce a science fiction universe from a book, the Iain Banks Culture universe, were I would be a bog standard member of the culture who did what ever they felt like... hey mind me and my friends would like to play mechwarrior tomorrow can you have a couple dozen 'mechs ready to go on the Asteroid at around 11ish ohh an picknick would be nice.

An honourable mention also went to the Richard Morgan Takashi Kovach universe, but that's a little too dystopian for me to want to sentence myself too.

#54 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

It was between Star Wars, Firefly, and Babylon 5.

Star Wars won. It was my first love.

Best case scenario: living as a Grey Jedi off the reservation, or possibly working as a trader/smuggler with my own starship (heavily modified of course). Cliches are great.

#55 GDL Rahsan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

@NameTheftvictim

Speaking about how WH40K universe is bad, as in RL bad not bad as a game, will take hours so for simplicities sake I will just show you the opening statement of most of their books, even video games:

Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

As for Catamount and the Face of Mankind universe, you see the universe itself is set in an MMORPG of the same name, you can go check it if you want for the story etc, but as for why it is a good palce to live in? Well excluding the fights mentioned by Exilyth, I promise you the Guardians will destroy the corrupt FDC, the settting usually remains a safe place for citizens as the fights are just fought by the factions memebers and the civilians rarely get in the crossfire, other than that the vortex gate system let you visit any of the colonized planets the Dominion, previously the Galactic Dominion, have which gives you a great deal of exploration also the Medical technology have advanced so much that you can perform a nano surgery by just using a terminal and clicking the correct buttons. surely in the game it is used to just heal the fallin, or getting wounded, wounds but I am pretty sure there are many different types of treatments in those terminals. Also the universe is a place where any one can usually become anything so the civilians have a fair chance to become a bunch of Economic lords, or memebers of the senate, and last of all the Dolly, Yes the sheep, Inc. cloning system offers anyone the ability to technically live forever as a young lad or lass without a silly thing called death to stop them, we will ignore the fact that we will usually remember the last moments of your death when you get into your new cloned body, so that's it I guess if you have more questions you can PM me or check this site: Their wiki. It might have some out dates info by the way.

#56 Ilithi Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 475 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWazan

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

I would jump at the chance to be in a Star Trek universe. I'd have enrolled in Starfleet Academy, following the command track specializing in Starship Tactical with a secondary specialization in Starship Piloting, and I'd be a career officer, living on ships mostly, though occasionally getting back to my hometown/planet.

And I would drag Catamount along with me if I had to. Especially if I got my own ship. } : = 8 D

#57 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

I chose "other" because I would choose any universe involving some sort of spacial/dimensional travel off earth! Why can't we have focused on space travel moar in real life!?! Darn you NASA budget cuts!

#58 GDL Rahsan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

View Postilithi dragon, on 26 February 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

I would jump at the chance to be in a Star Trek universe. I'd have enrolled in Starfleet Academy, following the command track specializing in Starship Tactical with a secondary specialization in Starship Piloting, and I'd be a career officer, living on ships mostly, though occasionally getting back to my hometown/planet.

And I would drag Catamount along with me if I had to. Especially if I got my own ship. } : = 8 D

No! Don't do it don't be a red shirt or something bad will happen to you!

#59 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

I'd have to go for the Whoverse - travelling through time and space, taking in sights nigh-unimaginable as a companion/apprentice to a benevolent renegade Time Lord (such as the Doctor) or Time Lady (such as Iris Wildthyme) and spending quite a bit of time on-board a TARDIS... :D

#60 DFDelta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

I picked:
Mass Effect
Military
Colonist (high pop)

Thanks to my interest in anything military and my knowledge about chemistry and mechanics (due to my RL job) I can easiely picture myself as one of the more tech oriented classes in the ME universe.
I'm pretty much completely free of any prejudices, so I might even join C-Sec or, more likely, Citadel Patrol.
I picture life on one of the many guard ships of the citadel as not bad at all.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users