13 replies to this topic

#1 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

Words people have trouble with with respect to MW gaming terminology (and it is not limited to MW, btw):

Canon and cannon: One of these shoots things, the other does not - choose wisely

Reticle and reticule - This is a funny one, while reticule (from the French) is often used (probably because of mispronounciation), its first meaning is that of a woman's small handbag. The real sighting devices that armies use have "reticles" and is used most often. (reticule here is from the Latin rēticulum used in Physics which means "reticle".)

And do not use that tired argument that "people know what I mean" with respect to cannon being used for Canon - be informed not ignorant.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 25 February 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#2 Lorcan Lladd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

RP systems engaged.
Am I the only one?
Amused that a clanner would care so much for his verbal tics, I mean?
RP systems disabled.

#3 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

spelling and grammer errors happen. if you get your panties in a twist every time you see one your going to ruin your own fun on forums. personally IDC, I can usually figure it out.

#4 whiskey tango foxtrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

sorry man i never grdeated the 3rd grade...<s>

#5 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

View PostLorcan Lladd, on 25 February 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

RP systems engaged.
Am I the only one?
RP systems disabled.

A Clanner would care more than anyone.

#6 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:59 AM

View PostFiachdubh, on 25 February 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

A Clanner would care more than anyone.

He is right, any properly RP'd Clansman will use no contractions. :) It takes a bit to get use to :P But I have it down great. Load the canon Cannon!

Edited by CoffiNail, 26 February 2012 - 06:50 AM.

#7 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

Canon/Cannon is a hugely important distinction- both are terms of import in this forums subjects so a missin or added "N" can change the meaning of your sentence.

#8 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostLorcan Lladd, on 25 February 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

RP systems engaged.
Am I the only one?
RP systems disabled.

Actually, I care a great deal about it irrespective of the fact that I am a Clans-oriented player. While I enjoy cultural missteps like "pwned", misspelling and not givng a crud that you have engaged in the activity is really a sign of laziness and ignorance and makes one worthy of disdain. The omission of contractions is higher level speech in the English speaking world - hard to achieve. Snobbish and Elitist? You bet! But at least I know that I am being a snob about it and why.

Using misspellings to make a statement or mark an "effect" (heh, or "affect", even) is okay in my books (like writing "stoopid" instead of "stupid", or using "pwned", But using Cannon when you want to say Canon or vice versa, not so much. My pointing out things like this is not about getting my knickers in a twist, it is about ensuring your information is conveyed without unnecessary distractions. If words you have written are not written properly, I am likely to not give it the attention you think it deserves. I can also easily tell when a poster is not a native English speaker and will do my best to concentrate on the post's content. (I have been in their shoes before, being a traveled polyglot)

Good (gud) spelling and grammar (grammer is incorrect unless your first name is Kelsey) will be important when RP for MWO is written by anyone, and there will be people who HAVE to write when the moment hits them. And they will, believe me. I am interested a story's (not storey's) content and being distracted by poor spelling and grammar sucks the fun out of reading for me.

other bugaboos -- homonyms -- there (direction/location)/their (possessive)/they're (contraction for "they are"), your (possessive)/you're (contraction for "you are")(ur is okay for either, though, when texting or in-game PM because of shortness, or if you want to spell urine but hit the return key early), its/it's (one is possessive, the other a contraction for "it is" or "it has")

I had hoped this would be an informative thread. But, if someone get upset that I am pointing out these bits, oh well - move along, learning/teaching in progress.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 05 March 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#9 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

here's another one that is common in the threads: losing and loosing

the former is when you lose, as in: "I was on the losing side"

the latter, as a verb (loosed, loosing), is like, to release an arrow "The savages, kept their barrage up, with each bowman loosing arrow after arrow"
(the adjective is a tad different: to be lax, slack, or free - looser, loosest)

I mean, if "loosing" has come to mean REALLY losing, like how "pwned" came fro a misspelling of "owned", then I guess it will be okay. But I think not.

next week, gerunds in West Frisian (just kidding)

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 04 March 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#10 GDL Irishwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 26 February 2012 - 03:24 PM, said:

Actually, I care a great deal about it irrespective of the fact that I am a Clans-oriented player. While I enjoy cultural missteps like "pwned", misspelling and not givng a crud that you have engaged in the activity is really a sign of laziness and ignorance and makes one worthy of distain. The omission of contractions is higher level speech in the English speaking world - hard to achieve. Snobbish and Elitist? You bet! But at least I know that I am being a snob about it and why.

Using misspellings to make a statement or mark an "effect" (heh, or "affect", even) is okay in my books (like writing "stoopid" instead of "stupid", or using "pwned", But using Cannon when you want to say Canon or vice versa, not so much. My pointing out things like this is not about getting my knickers in a twist, it is about ensuring your information is conveyed without unnecessary distractions. If words you have written are not written properly, I am likely to not give it the attention you think it deserves. I can also easily tell when a poster is not a native English speaker and will do my best to concentrate on the post's content. (I have been in their shoes before, being a traveled polyglot)

Good (gud) spelling and grammar (grammer is incorrect unless your first name is Kelsey) will be important when RP for MWO is written by anyone, and there will be people who HAVE to write when the moment hits them. And they will, believe me. I am interested a story's (not storey's) content and being distracted by poor spelling and grammar sucks the fun out of reading for me.

other bugaboos -- homonyms -- there (direction/location)/their (possessive)/they're (contraction for "they are"), your (possessive)/you're (contraction for "you are")(ur is okay for either, though, when texting or in-game PM because of shortness, or if you want to spell urine but hit the return key early), its/it's (one is possessive, the other a contraction for "it is" or "it has")

I had hoped this would be an informative thread. But, if someone get upset that I am pointing out these bits, oh well - move along, learning/teaching in progress.

You spelled disdain wrong :)

On a slightly less trolling note, I agree that spelling/grammar mistakes are bound to happen - but I also agree with you that they should be avoided as much as possible, especially on certain subjects related to BattleTech.

#11 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

Capitalization is the difference between:

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse

and

I helped my uncle jack off a horse

#12 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostGaussDragon, on 04 March 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

Capitalization is the difference between:

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse

and

I helped my uncle jack off a horse

And let's not forget comas (I know that I've probably made some grammar mistakes). :)

Let's eat, grandpa.

and

Let's eat grandpa.

#13 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

View PostAdridos, on 05 March 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

And let's not forget comas (I know that I've probably made some grammar mistakes). :)

Let's eat, grandpa.

and

Let's eat grandpa.

While I was aware of that while writing the joke (I didn't make it up) I thought it would detract from the humour a bit.

#14 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

View PostGDL Irishwarrior, on 04 March 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

You spelled disdain wrong :)

On a slightly less trolling note, I agree that spelling/grammar mistakes are bound to happen - but I also agree with you that they should be avoided as much as possible, especially on certain subjects related to BattleTech.

Indeed I did. I wish I could say I placed that there for someone to find in order to prove a point, but I cannot.

Thanx mate. The onerous bit has been corrected!

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 05 March 2012 - 05:01 PM.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users